PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Official 'Trade Brady' Debate Thread - Do Not Start Another One

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Official Trade Brady Thread

I am not in favor of trading Brady, but consider the Hershel Walker trade to
Minnesota. What could we get for Brady??????

The Walker trade
Minnesota Vikings Received:RB Herschel Walker
Dallas's 3rd round pick - 1990 (54) (Mike Jones)
San Diego's 5th round pick - 1990 (116) (Reggie Thornton)
Dallas's 10th round pick - 1990 (249) (Pat Newman)
Dallas's 3rd round pick - 1991 (68) (Jake Reed)

Dallas Cowboys Received:LB Jesse Solomon
LB David Howard
CB Issiac Holt
RB Darrin Nelson (traded to San Diego after he refused to report to Dallas)
DE Alex Stewart
Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1990 (21) They traded this pick along with pick (81) for pick (17) from Pittsburgh to draft (Emmitt Smith)
Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1990 (47) (Alexander Wright)
Minnesota's 6th round pick in 1990 (158) (traded to New Orleans, who drafted James Williams)
Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1991 (conditional) - (11) (Pat Harlow)
Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1991 (conditional) - (38) (Darryll Lewis)
Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1992 (conditional) - (37) (Darren Woodson)
Minnesota's 3rd round pick in 1992 (conditional) - (71) (traded to New England, who drafted Kevin Turner)
Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1993 (conditional) - (13) (traded to Philadelphia Eagles, and then to the Houston Oilers, who drafted Brad Hopkins)

What could we get from the 49ers for Brady????
To San Francisco
Tom Brady
Laurence Maroney
Patriots 6th round pick in 2008
Patriots 7th round pick in 2008
Patriots 6th round pick in 2009
Patriots 7th round pick in 2009
Patriots 6th round pick in 2010
Patriots 7th round pick in 2010

To the Patriots
Patrick Willis
Frank Gore
Vernon Davis
SF 1st round pick in 2008
SF 2nd round pick in 2008
SF 1st round pick in 2009
SF 2nd round pick in 2009
SF 1st round pick in 2010
SF 2nd round pick in 2010

Crazy?????

Brady is a far better player than Hershel Walker.

If anyone is crazy to give up 3 first round picks & 3 second round picks, BB & Pioli would even do the unthinkable and trade Brady without hesitation!
Outside of Matt Millen (who is out of job :D) I don't see anyone doing that

Last edited:
Cupofjoe, Pigs will fly and gingerbread men will start running around before a trade like the one proposed for Brady will happen.

You have the 49ers trading their 3 best players - gore, davis, and willis PLUS their 1st and 2nd round picks for the next 3 years... Good lord have you been playing too much madden franchise mode? I think even in Madden they limit how much compensation is given to limit the trade stupidity, not to mention the enormouse NEGATIVE salary cap ramifications of such a move.

Brady will stay, the question is what can we get for Cassel? From a cellar dweller team, probably their 2009 2nd round pick and their 2010 1st round pick. From a late round team who thinks they need just one more piece of the puzzle at QB, probably a 1st and something extra.

Perfectly said and very insightful! Nice drop on using BEYONCE in the post! GREAT AD!

That woman is drop-dead gorgious! I hate commercials, but when that one comes on, I stay tuned! ;)

Hmmm.....an official trade Brady thread. So this is what insanity actually looks like.

RW!! I sit here shaking my head at how many people actually have the balls (and the idiocy) to support trading Tom Terrific....Maybe the best of all time...in the middle of his prime, for an unknown quality.

One year doesn't mean much. Trading Brady is WAAAYYYYY more of a gamble than trading Cassell.

Cupofjoe, Pigs will fly and gingerbread men will start running around before a trade like the one proposed for Brady will happen.

You have the 49ers trading their 3 best players - gore, davis, and willis PLUS their 1st and 2nd round picks for the next 3 years... Good lord have you been playing too much madden franchise mode? I think even in Madden they limit how much compensation is given to limit the trade stupidity, not to mention the enormouse NEGATIVE salary cap ramifications of such a move.

Brady will stay, the question is what can we get for Cassel? From a cellar dweller team, probably their 2009 2nd round pick and their 2010 1st round pick. From a late round team who thinks they need just one more piece of the puzzle at QB, probably a 1st and something extra.

You're right, so let's settle this once and for all.

FACT: TOM BRADY WILL NOT BE TRADED...ACCEPT IT.

Post until the cows come home, but Brady will not be traded. He is the face of this team and he's not going anywhere.

Post until the cows come home, but Brady will not be traded. He is the face of this team and he's not going anywhere.

NO!!! lets lock up the this thread now! :eek:

but might i add, i would like to trade maroney for chris johnson :D

During preseason....

FACT: MATT CASSEL WILL NOT BE ON THE TEAM...ACCEPT IT.

Post until the cows come home but Cassel sucks and the team will go with Matt G and Kevin.

Last year......

FACT: GIANTS HAVE ZERO CHANCE OF WINNING THE SUPERBOWL ..ACCEPT IT.

How do you guys get so smart? Maybe it is the use of really big letters and all caps....

Last edited:

If anyone is crazy to give up 3 first round picks & 3 second round picks, BB & Pioli would even do the unthinkable and trade Brady without hesitation!
Outside of Matt Millen (who is out of job :D) I don't see anyone doing that

I wouldn't trade Brady for 3 first rounders and 3 second rounders. There's hardly enough room on this roster for draft picks as it is, and none of those guys are going to be as good as Brady, and half of them probably don't make it in the league.

As for trading him for Gore, Willis, Vernon Davis, why the hell would anyone do it. Do people realize that the 49ers have Gore, Willis, Davis and have mid to high first rounders year in and year out and their team SUCKS. We have Tom Brady and we have 3 SBs and 4 AFCC and a perfect regular season. Why should we covet the best players and the draft picks of another team when they have those assets and their team still blows? If Gore, Willis, Davis and 1st rounders made a good team, the Niners would be Super Bowl champions. Instead, they suck, and we're good.

There is NO logic here.

Last edited:

There's hardly enough room on this roster for draft picks as it is, and none of those guys are going to be as good as Brady, and half of them probably don't make it in the league.

That's an interesting point. The UDFA's and rookies have mostly made a very good case for themselves next year. Can't really think of a bust (unless you want to bus-ify guys who got injured early).

We'll draft defenders almost exclusively (maybe a TE and a Guard, but I'd be surprised) and maybe a 7th rd QB, that works out ok usually, hehe.

The injuries and proof of depth have certainly made next year already look good. The trick might be trying to get some of these guys onto the p--squad without losing them (ie: law-firm).

I wouldn't trade Brady for 3 first rounders and 3 second rounders. There's hardly enough room on this roster for draft picks as it is, and none of those guys are going to be as good as Brady, and half of them probably don't make it in the league.

As for trading him for Gore, Willis, Vernon Davis, why the hell would anyone do it. Do people realize that the 49ers have Gore, Willis, Davis and have mid to high first rounders year in and year out and their team SUCKS. We have Tom Brady and we have 3 SBs and 4 AFCC and a perfect regular season. Why should we covet the best players and the draft picks of another team when they have those assets and their team still blows? If Gore, Willis, Davis and 1st rounders made a good team, the Niners would be Super Bowl champions. Instead, they suck, and we're good.

There is NO logic here.

There's your logic. "I wouldn't trade Brady for 3 first rounders and 3 second rounders".
In regards to what Tom has done, what have you done for me lately? In my trade scenario I would trade him to the 49er's for Willis and picks from another team (3rd team involved). All of the new players would be impact players on defense. Defense wins championships. All you have to do is look at each Superbowl winner and they are predominantly defensive teams. Championship teams do not win with bad defenses.

There is NO logic here.

If there's one thing the Pats have proven themselves to be brilliant at during the draft, its manuevering w/their picks, stockpiling, trading, wheeling & dealing. Do you honestly think they would view having bushels of draft picks as a problem?? It would set them up for years to come. That is the real tantalizing option here....becoming the team of the next decade.

RW!! I sit here shaking my head at how many people actually have the balls (and the idiocy) to support trading Tom Terrific....Maybe the best of all time...in the middle of his prime, for an unknown quality.

One year doesn't mean much. Trading Brady is WAAAYYYYY more of a gamble than trading Cassell.

But that is not the full question --- the question is are the Patriots a better team over the next three to five years with Brady and whatever compensation a franchise and trade of Cassell would bring (with the attendant short term salary cap clog at the start of the FA period) OR a better team with Cassel, who is a lesser QB than Brady, but has demonstrated that he can run the New England offense competently PLUS a massive trade windfall for Brady PLUS more short run salary cap flexibility PLUS less cap space devoted to the QB position for the next five years that will allow for other options to be pursued to improve the team.

That is the fundamental question, and I don't think it is a crazy question to ask. Is Brady's superiority as a QB enough to outweigh any other factor that can be brought to bear?

It is really ludicrious that we have 420 posts in this thread entertaining the idea of trading Brady. Maybe we can trade Belichick to the Jets for Mangini and their first round pick while we are at it. Mangini is younger than Belichick like Cassel is younger than Brady.

Well, about 300 are pointless posts decrying the thread, like this one. If these stopped--or if the mods deleted them, hint hint--the thread would be much more focused.

During preseason....

FACT: MATT CASSEL WILL NOT BE ON THE TEAM...ACCEPT IT.

Post until the cows come home but Cassel sucks and the team will go with Matt G and Kevin.

Last year......

FACT: GIANTS HAVE ZERO CHANCE OF WINNING THE SUPERBOWL ..ACCEPT IT.

How do you guys get so smart? Maybe it is the use of really big letters and all caps....

Because sometimes things are so obvious that they require an IQ of 10 to figure them out. We know who and what Tom Brady is and no sane team would let the best in history go...maybe YOU would, but who ever said you were sane hoodie? ;)

Keep dreaming bud.

The fans would never allow this to happen. The risk Kraft & BB would have to take is far too high.

Name one NFL team that traded any top 5 QB in NFL history in the peak of his career ...Quick, don't mumble!

Joe Namath doesn't count (he was not close to a top 5 in history)

Well, about 300 are pointless posts decrying the thread, like this one. If these stopped--or if the mods deleted them, hint hint--the thread would be much more focused.

The thread is silly from the get-go.

There's your logic. "I wouldn't trade Brady for 3 first rounders and 3 second rounders".
In regards to what Tom has done, what have you done for me lately? In my trade scenario I would trade him to the 49er's for Willis and picks from another team (3rd team involved). All of the new players would be impact players on defense. Defense wins championships. All you have to do is look at each Superbowl winner and they are predominantly defensive teams. Championship teams do not win with bad defenses.

No one care what YOU would do. Brady will not be traded no matter what Fantasy Football scenario you cook up. Even the Boston media hasn't been stupid enough to suggest any such scenario.

My guess is that most of the people hinting or suggesting a Brady trade are Fantasy Football efficianado's. Which means they are not REAL Patriot fans, they are NFL fans.

Most FF people don't understand FOOTBALL. They are personnel people...they love to play with rosters and make trades. FOOTBALL is about playing the game and the personality of your team. That always comes before "roster"

I'm probably wrong, but I'm sticking with my theory.

For me personally, I was born a genius. So I really can't take credit for it. I'm just grateful. It makes it easier to separate fact from fiction. ;)

But that is not the full question --- the question is are the Patriots a better team over the next three to five years with Brady and whatever compensation a franchise and trade of Cassell would bring (with the attendant short term salary cap clog at the start of the FA period) OR a better team with Cassel, who is a lesser QB than Brady, but has demonstrated that he can run the New England offense competently PLUS a massive trade windfall for Brady PLUS more short run salary cap flexibility PLUS less cap space devoted to the QB position for the next five years that will allow for other options to be pursued to improve the team.

That is the fundamental question, and I don't think it is a crazy question to ask. Is Brady's superiority as a QB enough to outweigh any other factor that can be brought to bear?

I'm an economist/analyst for a living...the economic risk/reward for trading Brady leans HEAVILY toward the RISK side of the ledger.

Are you a fantasy football guy? My guess says YES! NO NFL team in their right mind would trade one of the best QB's in NFL history to upgrade their roster....which may or may not end in an upgrade.

Use some common sense. Name that team that traded Joe Montana, Roger Staubach, Bart Star, Johnny Unitas, Peyton Manning, Troy Aikman, Dan Marino or Steve Young. I'm waiting. I know this...each of these teams had personnel people a LOT smarter than YOU!

They did NOT trade these men....EVER.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand