PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Official 'Trade Brady' Debate Thread - Do Not Start Another One

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, about 300 are pointless posts decrying the thread, like this one. If these stopped--or if the mods deleted them, hint hint--the thread would be much more focused.

But when threads are this ridiculously STUPID, you gotta call a spade, a spade bro. :D

As the Grinch would say...

"this thread stinks, stanks, stunks!"

But when threads are this ridiculously STUPID, you gotta call a spade, a spade bro. :D

As the Grinch would say...

"this thread stinks, stanks, stunks!"

Well, this is more clutter, but I'll give it a pass because of the seasonal reference. See, you get points for creativity!

Someone should start a thread on what we want for Christmas & the New Year for the Pats.....

Re: The Official Trade Brady Thread

There's your logic. "I wouldn't trade Brady for 3 first rounders and 3 second rounders".
In regards to what Tom has done, what have you done for me lately? In my trade scenario I would trade him to the 49er's for Willis and picks from another team (3rd team involved). All of the new players would be impact players on defense. Defense wins championships. All you have to do is look at each Superbowl winner and they are predominantly defensive teams. Championship teams do not win with bad defenses.

So you'd ship the cornerstone of our franchise for some day 1 draft picks? I'm sorry, the fundamental failure in your logic is the treatment of Tom Brady as just another player. He's not.

You do realize that every other team in the NFL is also allowed to make Day 1 draft picks each year? And that a handful of them also get multiple #1 draft picks via trade, and that 80% of the NFL teams out there right now suck. If Day 1 picks led to successful teams, then it'd be a much tougher league out there right now. We are not one of the teams that suck. Tom Brady is a big reason why.

The Patriots do not have a bad defense. Even with all the major injuries, its 12th in the NFL.

Last edited:

So you'd ship the cornerstone of our franchise for some day 1 draft picks? I'm sorry, the fundamental failure in your logic is the treatment of Tom Brady as just another player. He's not.

You do realize that every other team in the NFL is also allowed to make Day 1 draft picks each year? And that a handful of them also get multiple #1 draft picks via trade, and that 80% of the NFL teams out there right now suck. If Day 1 picks led to successful teams, then it'd be a much tougher league out there right now. We are not one of the teams that suck. Tom Brady is a big reason why.

The Patriots do not have a bad defense. Even with all the major injuries, its 12th in the NFL.

How does Brady get credit for us not sucking this year?

If there's one thing the Pats have proven themselves to be brilliant at during the draft, its manuevering w/their picks, stockpiling, trading, wheeling & dealing. Do you honestly think they would view having bushels of draft picks as a problem?? It would set them up for years to come. That is the real tantalizing option here....becoming the team of the next decade.

:scream:

WE ALREADY ARE THE TEAM OF THE NEXT DECADE.

************. We went 16-0 LAST SEASON. Tom Brady is 31. QBs nowadays are successful into their LATE THIRTIES.

Again, #1 picks do not make a successful team. You guys have been playing too much Madden or too much fantasy football or something. Go ahead, blow up the team and rebuild and turn into just another team which has been trying to stockpile on draft picks, but still blows, aka, the majority of the NFL. That makes sense.

Last edited:

How does Brady get credit for us not sucking this year?

Because we have other cornerstones, namely, Randy Moss. Besides, we're about to go 11-5 with a much easier schedule than last season. I guarantee that - no offense to Cassel - this team doesn't manage 11-5 with last seasons schedule. So Brady was worth at least 5 wins. Aside from Manning, Moss or a handful of other guys, find me another player worth 5 wins. It's not Patrick Willis. And it's not future 1st round draft picks.

Last edited:

To keep the clutter to a minimum, I need to answer all my critics.
I'm not a Colt fan (I did not even watch the Superbowl Colts/Bears because I knew who would win).
I hate fantasy football. My guess is that there's more anti-trade Brady people here who are fantasy lovers.
I've never played Madden.
Reign: you might be a genius and an economist but evidently not a debater, your letting this get personal. I have not attacked anyone here but just stated my case which is, don't close the door on any of your options.
I wouldn't trade Brady for picks. I would want young defensive vets in return as outlined in my other posts. A 12th ranked defense doesn't get you a ring.
The team of the decade? Don't look now, but there is another team in blue with a dominating defense which may take that title.

:scream:

WE ALREADY ARE THE TEAM OF THE NEXT DECADE.

************. We went 16-0 LAST SEASON. Tom Brady is 31. QBs nowadays are successful into their LATE THIRTIES.

Again, #1 picks do not make a successful team. You guys have been playing too much Madden or too much fantasy football or something. Go ahead, blow up the team and rebuild and turn into just another team which has been trying to stockpile on draft picks, but still blows, aka, the majority of the NFL. That makes sense.

I'm sorry, but we are not already the team of the next decade. Saying it doesn't make it so. Even if you use all capital letters.

Use some common sense. Name that team that traded Joe Montana, Roger Staubach, Bart Star, Johnny Unitas, Peyton Manning, Troy Aikman, Dan Marino or Steve Young. I'm waiting. I know this...each of these teams had personnel people a LOT smarter than YOU!

They did NOT trade these men....EVER.
Well, I do seem to recall that the 49ers traded Montana to the Chiefs and promoted SYoung to QB..... does that count?

The bottom line is would you rather have Brady and get nothing for Cassel or
keep Cassel, add 2-3 1st rounders and possibly some other players to help out on the D side?

I don't think its a slam dunk either way. Brady may not be the Brady we remember or he could come back as good as ever. Its hard to tell.

Back to the "we're already the team of next decade" nonsense, and to those who say "look at all the qb's playing into their late thirties!" The idea is to maximize the chance at sustained excellence. If you look again at the teams of the decades--the Steelers in the 70s, the 49ers in the 80s, the Cowboys in the 90s--look at the ages of the QBs.....

Terry Bradshaw won his last Super Bowl at 31, Joe Montana at 33, Troy Aikman at 29. Next year Brady will be 32. The idea that the championships were rolling in late in their 30s is simply untrue. Occasionally things will come together and a QB will win one later--Plunkett did, Elway did (when the Denver team won because of defense and Terrell Davis, not Elway) but for championship contention year after year, you're not going to see it with a guy in his mid-thirties.

Use some common sense. Name that team that traded Joe Montana...

Well, I do seem to recall that the 49ers traded Montana to the Chiefs and promoted SYoung to QB..... does that count?

PatriotsReign just unwittingly made an excellent argument for the existence of this thread! A Future HOF QB *has* been traded before, and hisb replacement went on to win SBs!

PatriotsReign just unwittingly made an excellent argument for the existence of this thread! A Future HOF QB *has* been traded before, and hisb replacement went on to win SBs!

1.) Has Brady been missing games year after year due to injury?

2.) Is Brady 34 years old?

3.) Is Cassel as good as Steve Young?

Also, note the compensation:

Tonight, the 49ers traded the 36-year-old quarterback -- along with safety David Whitmore and a 1994 third-round draft pick -- to Kansas City for the Chiefs' first-round selection (the 18th over all) in the National Football League draft on Sunday.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9F0CE3DE1331F932A15757C0A965958260

So, are we now going to trade Brady, a safety and a 3rd round pick just to get a mid-1st round pick?

Last edited:
Re: The Official 'Trade Brady' Debate Thread - Do Not Start Another One

This one should not even have been started.....What big game vs a tough opponent did Cassell win??? I only remember thinking that if Cassell made a play or two more in the 'big' games this year we might actually own a tie-breaker scenario.

Of course this is silly....other than benching Bernie Kosar and Drew Bledsoe when has Bill Belichick ever favored up and coming talent over experience?

1.) Has Brady been missing games year after year due to injury?
16 games this year and a major knee injury. They had to go back in a have surgery a second time and he had an infection.....Who knows how much he will miss next year.

2.) Is Brady 34 years old?
31, thats not exactly 25-26 is it?

3.) Is Cassel as good as Steve Young?
Maybe, who knows? He's been pretty solid for most of the year.

I'm just sayin is all...... this is not a slam dunk for either side IMHO

16 games this year and a major knee injury. They had to go back in a have surgery a second time and he had an infection.....Who knows how much he will miss next year.

Get your facts straight. They went back in to clean out the infection. He did not have a second ACL surgery. He is back on track with his rehab.

Just a random thought, but how many people here in hindsight would have done what the Chargers did and let Brees walk in favor of Rivers? Both have turned out to be pretty damn good QBs, but there's no doubt that Brees is better, and might've put the Chargers over the top a few of these seasons. If the Chargers had stuck w Brees, they would've probably collected a few rings at this point, but they let their franchise QB go, and they did it too lightly. And it cost them, even though they had another good QB in his place.

And just for sake of the comparison, its worth noting Brady is better than Brees, and there is no telling Cassel will ever be as good as Phillip Rivers.

In other words, the answer is "no"

In other words, the answer is, again, "no"

Ok, you really think that Cassel is a first ballot hall of famer? I ask, because that's what Steve Young is.

But it is a slam dunk. Brady's not getting traded.

Terry Bradshaw won his last Super Bowl at 31, Joe Montana at 33, Troy Aikman at 29. Next year Brady will be 32. The idea that the championships were rolling in late in their 30s is simply untrue.
Well maybe if Joe stayed with the 49ers he would have won again there is no way of knowing.
Troy had a serious concussion problem that TB does not have thankfully.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes