• He's doesn't suck. He's not great.

Votes: 33 73.3%
  • Sucks? Hell no. He's the man!

Votes: 10 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Noticed the early disagreement. @Bruins29@Brady6 Please place eachother on ignore. Clearly there's a disagreement that won't be rectified going back through the posts, so let's agree to disagree and move on.

Otherwise this thread is bordering on being moved out...hurts my head reading a lot of this :rolleyes:
Done

I am not trying to kill Amendola. I am trying to outline what I think are realistic expectation for him, and those expectations are viewed as slighting Amendola. I do not doubt that the groin influenced his play, but I do not think it was the difference between being a 54 catch and 633 yard WR, and a 100+ catch and 1000+ yard WR. As I said in an earlier post, I feel Amendola can produce around 80-85 catches and 800-850 yards if healthy for a full season.

As far as irritating people, it is your board so I respect what you want from me as a member and will accommodate whatever you request of me but I think my being outspoken (admittedly excessively) at times is confused with killing Amendola. My message has been consistent throughout every thread and Amendola discussion, I think he is a solid slot WR who if was making $2.5-$3M a year I would be ecstatic to have. At $5.7M APY he is not in my wheelhouse, that said I understand the signing at the time Amendola was the best option to replace Welker and we had to pay what the market justified. I also want to reiterate my prior statement that at the start of 2013 Amendola was superior player to Edelman, but having reps gave Edelman what he needed to develop into one of the better slot receivers in the NFL. I am not suggesting that we should have went with Edelman the entire time and I knew it, at the time Amendola was signed it was a good decision. Past this season I do not think it makes sense to retain him, because even if he is better than Edelman he is not that much better to justify paying him $1M+ more a season than we can pay Edelman.

As far as if Amendola doing well I will tell you right now I hope he does, I would never root against a Patriots player. I will gladly eat my crow, but just the same I would never be so irrational that I would begin rooting for Amendola as if I was a huge fan of him after spending a solid 6-8 months saying otherwise. If Amendola goes out and had a great season I will be wrong, and I will own that.

A few days ago, you said this: "At the end of the day I think Amendola sucks. I am not a fan of him at all in fact, he is actually the only Patriots that I would be happy to see be released. How else can I say it I hate him as a player. That is the whole story, I am not going to change my view. Every time we talk about receivers I'm going to advocate against Amendola and for any of the others. I will never say anything good about him."

It's medication time...

Look again at the 2013 FA receiver market. Look at what the receivers who signed were getting. Amendola got what receivers got...and for the record, you'll never see me hating on any player because of a contract. It is the duty of the player, unless he's filthy rich like Brady (and even then, who could blame him?) to get as much money as the market will bear.

Here I'll help ya: http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2013WR.php

Bowe - 5 years 56 million, 26 guaranteed - 673 yards in 15 games last year.
Cruz - tendered, then extended at 5 years, 43 million, 15+ guaranteed (and complaining about it already) - 998 yards last year in 14 games.
Wallace - 5 years, 60 million, 30 million guaranteed (17.25 against the cap this year) ridiculous contract, ridiculous head case - 930 yards last year in 16 games.
Jennings - 5 years, 48 million, 17+ guaranteed. 804 yard in 14 games.
Denario Alexander - didn't play, probably done.
Hartline - 5 years, 30.775 million, 12.5 guaranteed, resigned with Dolphins

So Amendola with 5 years, 28.5 million, 10 million guaranteed is out of line? Really? Because I'm looking at that list, and maybe, MAYBE, the only one there I'd rather have at the prices they got (particularly adding in their attitude, work ethic, etc.) would be Hartline (and he wasn't an FA). And he's coming off a PCL tear, by the way.
Do you think if I was a fan of those other teams I would be saying anything different than I am about Amendola? They all failed to perform to the level of expectations. It happened to other teams, they overpaid for WRs because it was a weak free agent class at that position. It is like you bought some stock at $60 but it ended up only being worth $40, showing me that other people also bought the stock for $60 does not change the fact that you overpaid by $20.
So you're ready to write him off and others aren't. Bully for you. I've never suggested what he is or will be - I leave that to know-it-alls like you. He's had a good career, other than the injuries, and has given plenty of reason to believe that he can have some very good years here in New England if he can stay healthy. For some reason, that opinion twists your shorts.
I am not ready to right him off I am ready to slot him as the #3 or #4 WR on the team behind Edelman, an X-WR, and potentially LaFell. I will gladly take the 2-4 games that Amendola will have a matchup he can exploit and have a great game.
Oh, and ps. If he stays healthy and can play 14-16 games and get over 100 targets, I have no reason to believe that Amendola won't get 750-900 yards with the Pats - maybe 70-75 receptions at 11YPC.
Basically you expect the same thing I do from Amendola. You just feel that makes him a great player and I feel it makes him a solid slot receiver. I'm not sure what we are arguing about other than what we consider great vs. solid.

A few days ago, you said this: "At the end of the day I think Amendola sucks. I am not a fan of him at all in fact, he is actually the only Patriots that I would be happy to see be released. How else can I say it I hate him as a player. That is the whole story, I am not going to change my view. Every time we talk about receivers I'm going to advocate against Amendola and for any of the others. I will never say anything good about him."

It's medication time...
I think your sarcasm meter needs some repair, I said that because posters in that thread repeatedly suggested that I hate Amendola, etc. so I just went with it and wrote what was clearly a exaggerated sarcastic post.

As far as the medication comment goes, that is unnecessary. Many people take medications and using it as a way to insult people implies that those people have something to be ashamed of and that is not the case. You can get mad about my Amendola opinion and try and discredit it but the personal shots aren't necessary. Outside of calling you a Rams fan I never take shots at you. I have no issue with you, we view Amendola differently, that doesn't have to lead to animosity between us.

I am not ready to right him off I am ready to slot him as the #3 or #4 WR on the team behind Edelman, an X-WR, and potentially LaFell. I will gladly take the 2-4 games that Amendola will have a matchup he can exploit and have a great game.

He'll be the 1 or 2 on this team if he stays healthy. And I think he'll be the starting slot guy, with Edelman moved outside, although designations seem rather ambiguous on the Pats.

Basically you expect the same thing I do from Amendola. You just feel that makes him a great player and I feel it makes him a solid slot receiver. I'm not sure what we are arguing about other than what we consider great vs. solid.

You know, if you stopped telling everyone what they think, or making up things you think they said, it'd be easier to have a discussion. I don't think he's a "great player." I think he's a very good player who I'd want on my team - if he can shake the injury bug. Felt that same way about Edelman.

I don't think anyone's a "great player" until he proves he's a great player (Welker was a great player).

I think your sarcasm meter needs some repair, I said that because posters in that thread repeatedly suggested that I hate Amendola, etc. so I just went with it and wrote what was clearly a exaggerated sarcastic post.

Your next paragraph was:"So now you know where I stand if you or anyone else wish to fight me on my opinion of Amendola then I will continue to explain the reasons I think so lowly of him. Knowing that why don't we just accept that I do not like him and not make this a long painful season of us arguing about him."

And after that, people called you on it and you didn't disavow it. Nice try.

As far as the medication comment goes, that is unnecessary. Many people take medications and using it as a way to insult people implies that those people have something to be ashamed of and that is not the case. You can get mad about my Amendola opinion and try and discredit it but the personal shots aren't necessary. Outside of calling you a Rams fan I never take shots at you. I have no issue with you, we view Amendola differently, that doesn't have to lead to animosity between us.

Oh lighten up...it's a movie line.

He'll be the 1 or 2 on this team if he stays healthy. And I think he'll be the starting slot guy, with Edelman moved outside, although designations seem rather ambiguous on the Pats.
What they did last season was the started Edelman as flanker or in the slot and Dobson/Thompkins at the X-WR. When they went to 3 WRs they inserted Amendola into the slot and moved Edelman to the Z-WR. That is what I expect to continue with Boyce and LaFell potentially taking some reps.

That to me makes him the #3 or #4 WR depending on if LaFell or Boyce outplay him.

Your next paragraph was:"So now you know where I stand if you or anyone else wish to fight me on my opinion of Amendola then I will continue to explain the reasons I think so lowly of him. Knowing that why don't we just accept that I do not like him and not make this a long painful season of us arguing about him."

And after that, people called you on it and you didn't disavow it. Nice try.

Oh lighten up...it's a movie line.
I know what I wrote. I am telling you my intentions of that post. If you want to lock into that post and ignore the hundreds of others in which I have consistently said what I said about Amendola I'm this one that is your propagative. You know what I think about Amendola I have told you many times, I'm not sure what you want to change but you keep trying to argue the same opinion over and over. I'm telling you I only respond to posts that people quote, I really do not want to be this consumed with an Amendola discussion. I just do not understand why certain people insist on arguing me off of my opinion of Amendola. It is one player, just let me not be a huge fan of him and let's discuss something else.

My best friend in high school killed himself jumping of a bridge, and several people I served in the military with suffered similar fates because they had mental illnesses and feared judgement to much to seek out help, so it is something I take seriously whether it is movie quote or not.

I think that when healthy, Amendola is a better receiver than Edelman...however, the key term is health as he hasnt been healthy much throughout his career.

If he stays healthy this year, watch him put up big numbers.

@50-yard-line if healthy for 16 games what is the ceiling for what you believe Amendola can produce?

I think 80-85 receptions of 800-850 yards and 3-4 touchdowns is his ceiling.

If healthy for 16 games his ceiling is 100-120 receptions and 4-5 TDs. Probably less than 10 yard a catch, though in order to get those numbers in this offense.

He was ahead of Edelman, and on pace for another 100 +/- catch season last year, before the injuries. But this thread is about the level of suckage of Danny Amendola.

LOL..."before the injuries".

The fact that you see no hysterical irony in THAT reasoning when comparing him to Amendola is beautiful. Thank you for the keeping the classics coming. :D

LOL..."before the injuries".

The fact that you see no hysterical irony in THAT reasoning when comparing him to Amendola is beautiful. Thank you for the keeping the classics coming. :D

You don't seem to understand what irony means. At least it doesn't get in the way of your trolling, though, right?

You don't seem to understand what irony means. At least it doesn't get in the way of your trolling, though, right?

What you just wrote makes no sense to the subject. How about making the point instead of writing non sequitors? My post clearly pointed out the issue of you making excuses for Welker based on him not getting to play the full 16 games because of injury. EVERYONE here can see the very comical irony in that when you are claiming "Amendola's suckage' at the same time.

Instead of sticking to the subject matter, you then fall back on 'you're a troll'. You can't argue the subject.

It is what it is. And yes, I find your posts very funny when you ditch the subject and throw that tantrum.

What you just wrote makes no sense to the subject. How about making the point instead of writing non sequitors? My post clearly pointed out the issue of you making excuses for Welker based on him not getting to play the full 16 games because of injury. EVERYONE here can see the very comical irony in that when you are claiming "Amendola's suckage' at the same time.

Instead of sticking to the subject matter, you then fall back on 'you're a troll'. You can't argue the subject.

It is what it is. And yes, I find your posts very funny when you ditch the subject and throw that tantrum.

What I wrote makes perfect sense. You don't understand irony, but you want to troll. Seems pretty obvious.

And there's no tantrum there. There is me laughing at your continued weak sauce trolling.

Amendola got hurt. Had he stayed healthy and Welker gotten hurt, you'd have had irony (although only in basest form, since I hadn't been saying that Welker was impervious to injury). He didn't. You don't.

And, if you'd bothered to actually read, you'd find a dearth of posts with me bashing Amendola in this thread, and that I'd set up this thread to try keeping the Amendola bashing out of other threads. But, I understand. That would require you actually reading the thread instead of just trolling it.

To sum up: Welker's injury isn't on topic, you don't understand irony, and your trolling sucks. So, I'm done with you for this thread.

What I wrote makes perfect sense. You don't understand irony, but you want to troll. Seems pretty obvious.

And there's no tantrum there. There is me laughing at your continued weak sauce trolling.

Amendola got hurt. Had he stayed healthy and Welker gotten hurt, you'd have had irony (although only in basest form, since I hadn't been saying that Welker was impervious to injury). He didn't. You don't.

And, if you'd bothered to actually read, you'd find a dearth of posts with me bashing Amendola in this thread, and that I'd set up this thread to try keeping the Amendola bashing out of other threads. But, I understand. That would require you actually reading the thread instead of just trolling it.

To sum up: Welker's injury isn't on topic, you don't understand irony, and your trolling sucks. So, I'm done with you for this thread.

Deus Irae Post #17:
"...Welker's not the greatest slot receiver in NFL history because he notched more than 100 catches once. He's the greatest slot receiver in NFL history because he gets open fast enough to catch more than 100 catches year after year...."
------

Shmessy Post #65 DIRECTLY QUOTING that paragraph in Post #17:
"He WAS able to catch more than 100 catches per year.
He's 33 and has never caught more than 73 passes in any year outside of a Patriots uniform.
Once again, the Patriots squeezed the best out of this guy. Definitely one of my favorite players"
--------

Deus Irae Post #78 DIRECTLY QUOTING Post #65:
He was ahead of Edelman, and on pace for another 100 +/- catch season last year, BEFORE THE INJURIES (caps mine). But this thread is about the level of suckage of Danny Amendola.
--------

You are CLEARLY talking about WELKER'S injuries in that post. YOU brought up Welker's injuries. You DIRECTLY QUOTED Post #65 when you wrote it.

It is what it is.

Last edited:
I'm telling you I only respond to posts that people quote, I really do not want to be this consumed with an Amendola discussion. I just do not understand why certain people insist on arguing me off of my opinion of Amendola. It is one player, just let me not be a huge fan of him and let's discuss something else.

You seem committed to responding to every post on Amendola. Everyone here knows (and has known for a while) how you feel about the player. Maybe you could state your opinion once and move on instead on engaging with every poster who disagrees with you.

If I could make a respectful suggestion - you could consider not posting about Amendola at all. You've said everything you have to say on the matter and there's plenty of other things to talk about. Just a thought ...

Leave. Me. The F*CK. Alone!Amendola.jpg

Reactions: Ian
You seem committed to responding to every post on Amendola. Everyone here knows (and has known for a while) how you feel about the player. Maybe you could state your opinion once and move on instead on engaging with every poster who disagrees with you.

If I could make a respectful suggestion - you could consider not posting about Amendola at all. You've said everything you have to say on the matter and there's plenty of other things to talk about. Just a thought ...
Good post and very true. I will limit my discussion about Amendola until they at least start playing preseason games. You are correct I have said what I need to say plenty of times.

Good post and very true. I will limit my discussion about Amendola until they at least start playing preseason games. You are correct I have said what I need to say plenty of times.
And on that note, thread closed. Time to move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes