PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The moment you realize Brandon Allen is Better than any QB In New England

No we don’t. He has not gotten, for whatever reason unearned, being protected, promises to Cam, a real genuine shot in live fire to show what he has. These are the same guys that sat Harris behind Sony, and made Meyers ride the bench. The evaluation in practice is not always flawless, some guys are just better in games. I want to see at least a week if not two where he gets first team reps and a game plan designed to his strengths. Just so we can say 100% he is an INT machine that can’t read defenses.
Would you draft a QB?

I would in round 1.

Would you draft a QB?

I would in round 1.
Depends who is there. Say the Pats are drafting 15th and the top 4 QBs are already gone. I do not want them drafting QB 5 over TE1, LB 1, or DT 1. I don’t follow college football so I don’t have specific names to attach but generally speaking give me Wilfork before Teddy Bridgewater.

For how long did anyone believe that more than half the backups in the league aren’t better than newton?

For how long did anyone believe that more than half the backups in the league aren’t better than newton?
Ours clearly isn’t. That matters more than other team’s backups.

• Ha Ha
Reactions: sb1
Truth hurts.
What are you talking about? What truth? The truth that you are so ignorant about football that you think 37 mop up passes are a full career evaluation of a qb? Or the truth that got some bizarre reason you hate a backup qb and search out any mention of qb to troll people with your idiocy? Both?

What are you talking about? What truth? The truth that you are so ignorant about football that you think 37 mop up passes are a full career evaluation of a qb? Or the truth that got some bizarre reason you hate a backup qb and search out any mention of qb to troll people with your idiocy? Both?
LOL @ thinking that Bill and Josh would base their opinion entirely on 37 mop up passes when they’ve seen this guy in practice after practice.

Thankfully the team isn’t wasting any more time with the Stidham nonsense and are going to be looking for a real NFL prospect in the draft. Stid will make a fine CFL QB someday I’m sure. That’s more at his talent level.

I don’t. We are a run first team and if winning still mattered I would say Cam adds more to the offense. Winning now means less then Zero so treat it like a preseason game and find out what people can and more importantly can’t do. If Stid throws 5 INTs so be it we have an answer.

I still don't get why people think that anyone on the coaching staff still needs to "find out what he can and can't do". They have been witness to that in various settings for at least one offseason (OTAs, camp, joint practices, preseason games, regular season practices). Just because Stidham is a black box to you and all other fans it doesn't mean that he is some unknown variable to the coaching staff.

The fact he couldn't push by Newton during a down season says something. If Stidham gets to play a quarter or so against the Bills and maybe gets to finish off the season against the Jets then great. But nothing he will do on the field will decide his fate one way or the other. That happens every day they are on the practice field.

Nothing else needs to be said.
God I hope the Organization gets the QB position right.
How many years has he been in the league? How many teams has he been on? Has he ever done anything in the NFL previous to Sunday. Are experiencing a severe case of recency?

Yeah, but BB wants to win even though the win is useless and does nothing but cost the team draft slots. That’s why he’s sticking with Cam. FWIW, I agree with you. Throw him in and, when he sucks, we can move on. Winning is completely pointless at this stage.
I'm beginning to think playing CAM is Bill's version of tanking.

I still don't get why people think that anyone on the coaching staff still needs to "find out what he can and can't do". They have been witness to that in various settings for at least one offseason (OTAs, camp, joint practices, preseason games, regular season practices). Just because Stidham is a black box to you and all other fans it doesn't mean that he is some unknown variable to the coaching staff.
You would be hard pressed to find a bigger BB homer then myself on this forum but even I know he is a man not a god. He makes mistakes, and not every evaluation is perfect. Sometimes people need live bullets being shot at them to perform at their highest level. Both Harris amd Meyer are proof that sometimes you need to see players in games to give them a real chance to show you who they are. I had very high hopes for Stid preseason but at this point based on BB continuing to trot Cam's corpse out there those hopes are all but gone. With the rest of the season meaning zero I think its worth treating like a preseason game. Remember when Cassell looked like absolute garbage and was in danger of being cut in 08? They kept him because he was doing exactly what was asked. With no preseason this year I think Stid deserves the same chance to show his ability, or more likely at this point his lack thereof.

The fact he couldn't push by Newton during a down season says something. If Stidham gets to play a quarter or so against the Bills and maybe gets to finish off the season against the Jets then great. But nothing he will do on the field will decide his fate one way or the other. That happens every day they are on the practice field.
Because they have not seen him work with the 1s and play in games in real competitive situations. That’s where you evaluate players. There weren’t even preseason games.

You would be hard pressed to find a bigger BB homer then myself on this forum but even I know he is a man not a god. He makes mistakes, and not every evaluation is perfect. Sometimes people need live bullets being shot at them to perform at their highest level. Both Harris amd Meyer are proof that sometimes you need to see players in games to give them a real chance to show you who they are. I had very high hopes for Stid preseason but at this point based on BB continuing to trot Cam's corpse out there those hopes are all but gone. With the rest of the season meaning zero I think its worth treating like a preseason game. Remember when Cassell looked like absolute garbage and was in danger of being cut in 08? They kept him because he was doing exactly what was asked. With no preseason this year I think Stid deserves the same chance to show his ability, or more likely at this point his lack thereof.

It has nothing to do with being a homer or not. And whatever narrative you are telling yourself to justify thinking they can't evaluate a QB who has been with them for 2 years based on practice is just that: a story.

The reason people want to see Stidham is because they rather see the unknown -- thinking that as unlikely as it is it could still be a winning lottery ticket -- instead of watching the uninspired but much more stable known player. But at the same time this only applies to fans as they don't have access to practice every day. The staff knows.

Your entire point about Cassell is most likely also the explanation for why Stidham won't get a shot to start today. He must be even more inconsistent in practice than Cam and is most likely not always doing what the staff asks him to or fails to execute in those rare occasions where he gets some first team snaps. At least that is the most obvious explanation to the entire situation.

I haven't seen many asking for Gunner to get some starts at WR even though months ago in camp the beat guys were fawning over him. I guess we trust the staff to make informed decisions at some positions more than others ?

• Winner
Reactions: sb1
Depends who is there. Say the Pats are drafting 15th and the top 4 QBs are already gone. I do not want them drafting QB 5 over TE1, LB 1, or DT 1. I don’t follow college football so I don’t have specific names to attach but generally speaking give me Wilfork before Teddy Bridgewater.
The Pat's are not winnng a thing without a QB.

Not in this NFL.

The reason people want to see Stidham is because they rather see the unknown -- thinking that as unlikely as it is it could still be a winning lottery ticket -- instead of watching the uninspired but much more stable known player. But at the same time this only applies to fans as they don't have access to practice every day. The staff knows.
the only stable thing about Cam is his fumbling, getting sacked or throwing passes to Mr.Green on the turf in the crucial moments of a game
but I agree thats at least known...

The Pat's are not winnng a thing without a QB.

Not in this NFL.
And drafting the wrong QB can set them back for years. Tom Brady would not be any better or worse of a QB if he had been drafted in the first. If they LOVE QB5 then by all means go ahead and take him but I would rather have the best player at another position of need then HAVING to take a round 1 QB.

It has nothing to do with being a homer or not. And whatever narrative you are telling yourself to justify thinking they can't evaluate a QB who has been with them for 2 years based on practice is just that: a story.

Your entire point about Cassell is most likely also the explanation for why Stidham won't get a shot to start today. He must be even more inconsistent in practice than Cam and is most likely not always doing what the staff asks him to or fails to execute in those rare occasions where he gets some first team snaps. At least that is the most obvious explanation to the entire situation.

I haven't seen many asking for Gunner to get some starts at WR even though months ago in camp the beat guys were fawning over him. I guess we trust the staff to make informed decisions at some positions more than others ?
It’s really odd to see the obsession with a backup QB who clearly has failed to impress the coaching staff and whose appearances in games have been completely forgettable.

Stidham is in year 2 and with Brady’s exit, becomes presumed QB1. Instead Pats jump all over the chance to sign Newton. Newton beats Stidham for the job. Hoyer beats Stidham for the QB2 job. As the season progressed it became clear Cam can’t throw a football very well. And yet Cam remains the starter.

What other logical conclusion can be made other than the obvious one?

I get that for whatever reason Stid is not showing enough in practice to earn the start. I am not there I dont see it so I can't make a judgement call like BB can so I dont even attempt to say I can. What I can say is there have been players, like say Malcom Butler, who didnt do squat all year but then in the biggest moment was able to make the most iconic play in Super Bowl history. Even BB will evaluate wrong from time to time. I do trust him to be right more often then he is wrong by a large margin and if winning still mattered I would be 100% behind his call because in 20 years he has earned that level of IBBWT. The pats are no longer at that point. I am still rooting for a win and would be happier then a pig in **** if they did but I recognize giving young guys who might not otherwise get real game time action is more valuable to the long term health of the franchise. So yeah I hope they send Gunner out for 15-20 plays. I want to see Stid Chuck the ball 30-40 times. If they win and succeed great fantastic wonderful best possible outcome. More likely they bomb and now they know for sure they need to be replaced next year. At this point you lose nothing scratching that lottery ticket.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back