PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The moment you realize Brandon Allen is Better than any QB In New England

It’s really odd to see the obsession with a backup QB who clearly has failed to impress the coaching staff and whose appearances in games have been completely forgettable.

Stidham is in year 2 and with Brady’s exit, becomes presumed QB1. Instead Pats jump all over the chance to sign Newton. As the season progressed it became clear Cam can’t throw a football very well. And yet Cam remains the starter.

What other logical conclusion can be made other than the obvious on
I would not say his appearances have been forgettable. From the eye test he actually looks like a passer. It doesn't take him winding up his whole body to torque a pass into the turf. Bad decision making and an inability to see the field? Yeah quite a bit of that but with coaching and experience those can be cleaned up. Worth it in my mind to find out for sure now that winning is irrelevant.

And drafting the wrong QB can set them back for years.
Evaluating a QB's transition from college to NFL is probably one of the most difficult tasks in the whole draft process. There have been more first round QBs that have underperformed / busted compared to those that panned out. If we just look at the list since 2010, even though in recent years the haul has been quite good, there are still only a handful there that you can truly count as irreplaceable for the team that drafted them at some point in their careers.

2010:
#1 Sam Bradford
#25 Tim Tebow

2011:
#1 Cam Newton
#8 Jake Locker
#10 Blaine Gabbert
#12 Christian Ponder

2012:
#1 Andrew Luck
#2 RG III
#8 Ryan Tannehill
#22 Brandon Weeden

2013:
#16 EJ Manuel

2014:
#3 Blake Bortles
#22 Johnny Manziel
#32 Teddy Bridgewater

2015:
#1 Jameis Winston
#2 Marcus Mariota

2016:
#1 Jared Goff
#2 Carson Wentz
#26 Paxton Lynch

2017:
#2 Mitchell Trubisky
#10 Patrick Mahomes
#12 Deshaun Watson

2018:
#1 Baker Mayfield
#3 Sam Darnold
#7 Josh Allen
#10 Josh Rosen
#32 Lamar Jackson

2019:
#1 Kyler Murray
#6 Daniel Jones
#15 Dwayne Haskins

2020:
#1 Joe Burrow
#5 Tua Tagovailoa
#6 Justin Herbert
#26 Jordan Love

I would not say his appearances have been forgettable. From the eye test he actually looks like a passer. It doesn't take him winding up his whole body to torque a pass into the turf. Bad decision making and an inability to see the field? Yeah quite a bit of that but with coaching and experience those can be cleaned up. Worth it in my mind to find out for sure now that winning is irrelevant.
Yes he is probably better as a passer than what we saw from Cam. That’s not a high bar to step over.

I’ve never seen a Stidham game and said “wow this kid has IT” like I did with JG. Can’t read pressure pre-snap, panics when he sees an NFL level pass rush, doesn’t make good decisions, can’t see the field as you said, not impressed with his movement in the pocket and his mobility is not at all as advertised. The problem is he’s also approaching 25 years old. A 25 year old QB prospect is not a prospect anymore IMO. If he hasn’t shown improvement by now, and he hasn’t, I wouldn’t count on it ever happening. That’s not unusual for a 4th round draft pick QB. There are plenty just like him.

He isn’t starting for this or any NFL team so I don’t see what the Patriots have to gain by benching Cam now.

Yes he is probably better as a passer than what we saw from Cam. That’s not a high bar to step over.

I’ve never seen a Stidham game and said “wow this kid has IT” like I did with JG. Can’t read pressure pre-snap, panics when he sees an NFL level pass rush, doesn’t make good decisions, can’t see the field as you said, not impressed with his movement in the pocket and his mobility is not at all as advertised. The problem is he’s also approaching 25 years old. A 25 year old QB prospect is not a prospect anymore IMO. If he hasn’t shown improvement by now, and he hasn’t, I wouldn’t count on it ever happening. That’s not unusual for a 4th round draft pick QB. There are plenty just like him.

He isn’t starting for this or any NFL team so I don’t see what the Patriots have to gain by benching Cam now.
We 100% know Cam cant make the throws. We only are 95% sure Stid can't either. When winning still mattered I wouldnt give up what cam adds to the run game to find out that 5%. Thats what preseason is usually for.

the only stable thing about Cam is his fumbling, getting sacked or throwing passes to Mr.Green on the turf in the crucial moments of a game
but I agree thats at least known...

Sounds exactly like the summary of Stidham's time on the field in the last two years. Throwing irrelevant checkdowns, pick-6s, bouncing the ball off the turf on throws to open receivers or getting slammed into the ground.

• Agree
Reactions: jah
The defensive sequence last where they left the gunner uncovered and gave up the fake punt first down. Then they give up the 4th down naked bootleg for 22 yards and nobody is close to defending the edge and Butler is offsides by a country mile and still doesn't impact the play. Then they get a pick to end the drive but again Butler is offsides.

It was at that moment that I realized we were no longer onto Cincinnati. We had arrived and become Cincinnati. Say what you will about the QB position this team in general has been so unprepared for the big moments all year long. It's time to blow this dumpster fire up.

The defensive sequence last where they left the gunner uncovered and gave up the fake punt first down. Then they give up the 4th down naked bootleg for 22 yards and nobody is close to defending the edge and Butler is offsides by a country mile and still doesn't impact the play. Then they get a pick to end the drive but again Butler is offsides.

It was at that moment that I realized we were no longer onto Cincinnati. We had arrived and become Cincinnati. Say what you will about the QB position this team in general has been so unprepared for the big moments all year long. It's time to blow this dumpster fire up.
They were prepared for Baltimore...but that's about it.

Sounds exactly like the summary of Stidham's time on the field in the last two years. Throwing irrelevant checkdowns, pick-6s, bouncing the ball off the turf on throws to open receivers or getting slammed into the ground.
Agreed...and you're not wrong of course, but at this point there is nothing further to see from Cant...That he gives us the best chance to win isn't good enough any longer, though the only legit reason I can use to start Stid is Why the heck not? Yet that's where we are...

Agreed...and you're not wrong of course, but at this point there is nothing further to see from Cant...That he gives us the best chance to win isn't good enough any longer, though the only legit reason I can use to start Stid is Why the heck not? Yet that's where we are...
While this is pretty much my stance on the issue as well, I think "why?" is just as valid of a question as "why not?". My personal preference has always been to give playing time to those who haven't had much when the games are meaningless, but ultimately those decisions aren't as consequential as we might believe as fans who only get to watch the games.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back