PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Mahomes/Chiefs Discussion Thread

So....back when dippy MAC Was trolling the living hell out of this forum and claiming to be a Patriots fan, I said then, something didnt seem right. So it seems he is just another Chiefs fan who knows who the goat is so he has to run around trashing him in order to try and stay relevant. In 22 years, I watched QB after Qb come into the league and start being compared to Brady, over and over again, no really this time its different....it never is. Mahomes will never even come close to Brady. Here is why. Mahomes relies on things that are not sustainable to be good. He is not great at reading defenses, he can just run around until guys get open, this works when you are young....but then things start to happen....you get hit. you get older, those two things end that type of football. The thing with Brady is when he had to do something in order to get better, he did. When he had to be better in the pocket, he did, when he had to learn to get the ball out faster with iffy olines...he did, when he had to get a better deep ball, he did. Brady never stopped learning, he never stopped trying to be better no matter how good he got. No QB...will ever be that great for that long that consistency. Sorry KC fan, but its not going to happen. He is already getting hurt, he is already getting hurt with simple tackles. Players cannot sustain that. QB's cannot sustain what Brady was for 22 years. So in the end, KC fan, stay in the shallow end. Worry about Passing guys in actual reach with Mahomes....Brady is not. Just to remind you of what we are talking about. Mahomes would have to Play about 16 more years at the same exact pace he is now to get close to Brady in yards and TDs. Wins, playoff wins, superbowls, superbowl mvps....He better get it in the next 5 years, because this is the NFL and Reid is a cheeseburger away from retiring from a stroke. So basically I know why you are here, because Brady is what you hope and hope that Mahomes can be.....and he is not even close, and this upsets you.
As somebody who thinks Mahomes will win at least 2 more (though I'm highly doubtful he'll get to 7), just wanted to add one more thing that's gone his way thus far: the fact that he's played every single playoff game at home. KC will be in perennial contention but that doesn't necessarily translate to an automatic 1 seed every year when you factor in things like injuries, or an inevitable year of transition once Reid bows out. At some point, he'll have to play one or two AFC Championship games on the road.

Imagine appealing to Mike Florio. Holy ****. Like most others, he's trying to generate clicks/views for ad revenue. Not because it's a serious, genuine opinion. Obviously, you don't care. Whatever feeds into your delusions.

Mahomes will never even come close to Brady. Here is why. Mahomes relies on things that are not sustainable to be good. He is not great at reading defenses, he can just run around until guys get open, this works when you are young....but then things start to happen....you get hit. you get older, those two things end that type of football. The thing with Brady is when he had to do something in order to get better, he did. When he had to be better in the pocket, he did, when he had to learn to get the ball out faster with iffy olines...he did, when he had to get a better deep ball, he did. Brady never stopped learning, he never stopped trying to be better no matter how good he got. No QB...will ever be that great for that long that consistency. Sorry KC fan, but its not going to happen. He is already getting hurt, he is already getting hurt with simple tackles. Players cannot sustain that. QB's cannot sustain what Brady was for 22 years. So in the end, KC fan, stay in the shallow end. Worry about Passing guys in actual reach with Mahomes....Brady is not. Just to remind you of what we are talking about. Mahomes would have to Play about 16 more years at the same exact pace he is now to get close to Brady in yards and TDs. Wins, playoff wins, superbowls, superbowl mvps....He better get it in the next 5 years, because this is the NFL and Reid is a cheeseburger away from retiring from a stroke. So basically I know why you are here, because Brady is what you hope and hope that Mahomes can be.....and he is not even close, and this upsets you.

Wrong. Mahomes' current pace:

4800 yards/season

38 TDs/season

10 INTs/Season

In 15 years at current pace:

96,000 yards (Brady - 89,241)

760 TDs (Brady - 649)

200 INTs (Brady - 212)

So you are correct, in 15 years Mahomes won't be close to Brady. Mahomes will clearly be the frontrunner. Brady's going to wish he played until he's 50.

And best of all, Mahomes and the Chiefs will have no controversies.

As somebody who thinks Mahomes will win at least 2 more (though I'm highly doubtful he'll get to 7), just wanted to add one more thing that's gone his way thus far: the fact that he's played every single playoff game at home. KC will be in perennial contention but that doesn't necessarily translate to an automatic 1 seed every year when you factor in things like injuries, or an inevitable year of transition once Reid bows out. At some point, he'll have to play one or two AFC Championship games on the road.

As Patriot Brady had an average 4-4 road record in the playoffs, not including super bowls obviously

Last edited:
As Patriot Brady had an average 4-4 road record in the playoffs, not including super bowls obviously
How convenient (obviously). If you include Super Bowls, Tom is 11-4 on the road. I'll even give you the Tampa SB at home and call it 10-4 (2.5:1). Tom won 9 AFCCG's (two on the road). He won 1 NFCCG on the road. He lost 3 AFCCG's (2006, 2013, 2015) on the road and one at home (2012).

Kermit has two home losses in the AFCCG out of five appearances.

If you include the Super Bowls, he's 2-1 on the road.

Reactions: sb1
How convenient (obviously). If you include Super Bowls, Tom is 11-4 on the road. I'll even give you the Tampa SB at home and call it 10-4 (2.5:1). Tom won 9 AFCCG's (two on the road). He won 1 NFCCG on the road. He lost 3 AFCCG's (2006, 2013, 2015) on the road and one at home (2012).

Super bowls are not official road games. They are at a neutral site. And are we still comparing 21 years of Brady vs 5 years of Mahomes? I posted the stats comparing their first 5 years and Mahomes blows Brady away

I get all my QB advice from Chris Simms.

Here he is prior to SB 55 (he picked the Chiefs to win 38-20):

Whoopsie.

It was Florio who made the comparison to MJ…whoopsie

Super bowls are not official road games. They are at a neutral site. And are we still comparing 21 years of Brady vs 5 years of Mahomes? I posted the stats comparing their first 5 years and Mahomes blows Brady away
In playoff records?

Brady
2001-2005: 12-2, two road losses
3-0 in Super Bowls

Mahomes
2018-2022: 11-3, two home losses
2-1 in Super Bowls

Yeah, not seeing where he blows Brady away in the first five years.

In playoff records?

Brady
2001-2005: 12-2, two road losses
3-0 in Super Bowls

Mahomes
2018-2022: 11-3, two home losses
2-1 in Super Bowls

Yeah, not seeing where he blows Brady away in the first five years.

I was referring to their overall body of work. I'll post those stats again. as you can see, Mahomes beats Brady through their first 5 years as starter in 7 out of 10 categories, so yeah I call that a blowout. And he did it without Ernie Adams...

Mahomes is doing just fine in his first 6 seasons compared to Brady. And remember, Brady went 9 years after SB 39 in not winning anything. Even then, it took a boneheaded call by Pete Carroll not to run the ball on the goalline to secure Brady's 4th.

Super Bowl Victories: Brady 3, Mahomes 2. [edge - Brady]

Super Bowl MVPs: Brady 2, Mahomes 2. [tied]

AFC Championship Games: Brady 3, Mahomes 5. [edge - Mahomes]

AFC Championships: Brady 3, Mahomes 3. [tied]

NFL MVP Awards: Brady 0, Mahomes 2. [edge - Mahomes]

-can't believe that Brady only has 3 NFL MVP awards lol. He's 3 for 21 in that regard.

All-Pro Teams: Brady 1, Mahomes 3. [edge - Mahomes]

Regular-Season Record: Brady 58-20, Mahomes 64-16. [edge - Mahomes]

Passing Yards: Brady 18,035, Mahomes 24,241. [edge - Mahomes]

TD Passes: Brady 123, Mahomes 192. [edge - Mahomes]

Completion Percentage: Brady 61.9, Mahomes 66.3. [edge - Mahomes]

Last edited:
I was referring to their overall body of work. I'll post those stats again. as you can see, Mahomes beats Brady through their first 5 years as starter in 7 out of 10 categories, so yeah I call that a blowout. And he did it without Ernie Adams...

Mahomes is doing just fine in his first 6 seasons compared to Brady. And remember, Brady went 9 years after SB 39 in not winning anything. Even then, it took a boneheaded call by Pete Carroll not to run the ball on the goalline to secure Brady's 4th.

Super Bowl Victories: Brady 3, Mahomes 2. [edge - Brady]

Super Bowl MVPs: Brady 2, Mahomes 2. [tied]

AFC Championship Games: Brady 3, Mahomes 5. [edge - Mahomes]

AFC Championships: Brady 3, Mahomes 3. [tied]

NFL MVP Awards: Brady 0, Mahomes 2. [edge - Mahomes]

-can't believe that Brady only has 3 NFL MVP awards lol. He's 3 for 21 in that regard.

All-Pro Teams: Brady 1, Mahomes 3. [edge - Mahomes]

Regular-Season Record: Brady 58-20, Mahomes 64-16. [edge - Mahomes]

Passing Yards: Brady 18,035, Mahomes 24,241. [edge - Mahomes]

TD Passes: Brady 123, Mahomes 192. [edge - Mahomes]

Completion Percentage: Brady 61.9, Mahomes 66.3. [edge - Mahomes]
football touchdown GIF by The Undefeated

Keep trying to move them. Maybe eventually you'll make a point.

football touchdown GIF by The Undefeated

Keep trying to move them. Maybe eventually you'll make a point.

I never said anything about playoffs only...perhaps learn to read better.

I also think adding some context to how those games were lost matters. In 2006 the defense (who were without Rodney) choked up a huge lead in probably the worst playoff collapse in the Brady/Belichick era. Could you say "oh Brady didn't play well enough to win"? I guess, but then couldn't the same be argued about Mahomes (whose defense was unable to stop Brady and co. in OT) against the Pats in the AFCCG?

2012 New England had no Gronk, and then Talib (the anchor of their secondary) went down early into the game. In 2013 an already decimated defense was weakened even more when Talib went down again, and Brady's passing game was literally just Edelman and the corpse of Amendola (it wouldn't be until midway in 2014 that the groin injury healed and Danny found his niche on the offense). In 2015 their starting left tackle in Nate Solder went down for the season, their running game was virtually nothing due to Lewis and Blount going on the IR, and Edelman and Amendola were both clearly not at 100%. In spite of that, Brady was able to get them a hair's breadth within overtime (and they only missed it due to the usually reliable Gostowski whiffing on an extra point).

In contrast, Mahomes made a good effort in that AFCCG against the Pats and recovered after the defensive plan devised by Bill and Flores contained him that first half, but I'd also argue that his Chiefs team was healthier than any of the aforementioned Patriots teams (Karem Hunt was a loss granted but Hill and Kelce were healthy, and the O-line was decently healthy as well). And against the Bengals in 2022? He choked, plain and simple.

None of this is to say that Mahomes isn't bound for the HOF: the guy clearly has it in the way that, say, Rodgers has never shown (for instance, I don't see Rodgers being able to ice that divisional against the Bills, or even rallying from a deficit against Philly in the SB the way Pat did) and I think he's got at least 1 or 2 more SB wins to come. Combine that with how the league is making it easier for QBs to break every record but the one that truly counts, and he'll possibly have a good statistical case to GOAT candidacy as well. That being said, as it stands now it's absurd to start making the Brady comparisons and it's much more accurate (and it makes for a more interesting discussion IMO) to debate his placement in that Peyton/Elway/Young tier.

Yes, it's quite awkward. Do you see the word "playoffs" anywhere in the above sentences?
Yes, I get that you want to exclude data that hurts your argument. That doesn't help your argument.

Yes, I get that you want to exclude data that hurts your argument. That doesn't help your argument.

Sorry, I copied and pasted those stats from an SI article. I didn't have time to compile their playoff numbers in their first five years as starter. But don't say I didn't warn you...

Mahomes (2018-2022)

Playoff appearances - 5

11-3 record

67.3% completions

4084 yards passing

35 TDs

7 INTs

2 super bowls

2 super bowl MVPs

Brady (2001-2005)

Playoff appearances - 4

10-1 record

61% completions

2493 yards

15 TDs

5 INTs

3 super bowls

2 super bowl MVPs

Sorry, I copied and pasted those stats from an SI article. I didn't have time to compile their playoff numbers in their first five years as starter. But don't say I didn't warn you...

Mahomes (2018-2022)

Playoff appearances - 5

11-3 record

67.3% completions

4084 yards passing

35 TDs

7 INTs

2 super bowls

2 super bowl MVPs

Brady (2001-2005)

Playoff appearances - 4

10-1 record