PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The last 2 times Brady wasn't the starter

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact of the matter is , fellas, that the proverbial Emperor hasn't exactly been richly dressed for a few years now. Brady had slowed down a ton in the last few years and was relying more and more on having excellent supporting talent to get the job done, especially after 2016 or so. Certainly you have to give a lot of credit for SB53 to the defense, and especially the secondary, rather than the quarterback. Dude's still got one heck of a football mind, but the body is finally going, and it's been more and more obvious as the years move forward.

We are not losing Brady in his prime, we're losing his 2008+ Favre years, where he'll string a few reminiscent plays together and struggle badly in between them. We were already starting to see that happen last year, and it's not going to get better from here.

Nothing could replace Brady in his prime. But that's not the guy we're trying to replace. A young quarterback with some new ideas and a whole lot of energy and drive can potentially replace the guy we had last year. Personally I'm very much looking forward to seeing what the master tactician (McD) and master strategist (BB) come up with for Stidham. I think this will wind up turning to our advantage
There wouldn't have been a SB 53 if not for Brady and the offense winning the AFCCG. The D showed up for one half.

The defense in 08 was far from Super Bowl caliber.
The team would be, thanks to Brady and the offense being elite. They definitely make it to the AFCCG if not Super Bowl.

Belichick isn’t throwing a season in the trash.

Not when the guy he’s chasing on the all time wins list called him a cheater. He hasn’t forgotten that. I expect he’ll have the team competing every week even if it means 8-8 or 9-7 and out of the top 10 in the draft.
Mortgaging the future for ego? Nice, Bill.

The defense in 08 was far from Super Bowl caliber.

The 2008 defense was top 10 in both points allowed and yards allowed.

In 2011, Brady dragged a defense ranked 15th in points allowed and 31st in yards allowed to within 1 minute and 4 seconds of another Super Bowl win.

You really need to stop posting Brady-related items, because you really suck at it.

The team would be, thanks to Brady and the offense being elite. They definitely make it to the AFCCG if not Super Bowl.

They would have made the playoffs but the defense would have stopped them from going any further. They were old and declining. There’s a reason why they were blown out by SD Miami, Pitt - latter two at home- and it wasn’t really Cassel.

The 2008 defense was top 10 in both points allowed and yards allowed.

In 2011, Brady dragged a defense ranked 15th in points allowed and 31st in yards allowed to within 1 minute and 4 seconds of another Super Bowl win.

They (08 defense) gave up 30 points or more 4 times, 3 of those losses were playoff teams and one of them was the Jets. Let’s not pretend they were anything near the caliber of the team the year before.

Completely agree about 11 though they didn’t beat any winning teams that season until the AFCCG. But yes that defense was wretched and a lesser QB probably wouldn’t have won the conference.

You really need to stop posting Brady-related items, because you really suck at it.

Translation: I suck at telling you want you want to hear. You’re entitled to your opinion as am I. Nothing I’ve said about Brady is inaccurate.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think Brady was fading towards the latter half of 2018 and all of last year and I'm not lamenting his defection the way Deus or someone is, but man 2017 is not the argument here.

Wait, Brady was fading in the latter half of 2018?

His last six weeks of the season in 2018:

133-199 (66.8%), 1,607 yds, 8.1 y/a, 12 td, 4 int, 103.2 rating

Then the three playoff games:

85-125 (68.0%), 953 yds, 7.6 y/a, 2 td, 3 int, 85.8 rating

So all totaled, his last 11 games:

218-324 (67.3%), 2,560 yds, 7.9 y/a, 14 td, 7 int, 96.5 rating

I mean, I don't know. That's pretty damned good.

BB is 19-19 without Brady as the Patriots coach.

5-13 with Bledsoe at the helm....but they were very competitive in all of those games. Here are the margins of victory/losses from those 18 games:

-5,-1,-8,-7,9+,8+,-17,-7,-3 OT,-8, +3, -35 (Brady first action), +6, -7, +3 OT, -3, -6, -7 (Bledsoe gets knocked out).

And that was mostly with a roster so bad that BB brought in 21 free agents and paid Grey Ruegamer money to start a fight during camp in an effort to toughen up the guys. Remember Bledsoe took 6 sacks against the Sapp led Bucs D in 2000?

That's only 2 blowouts.....1 against the Curtis Martin Jets at home...and a Thanksgiving debacle in Detroit...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes