PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The JimmyG pick(s)

Instead of Cleveland's 2nd + cond'l pick next year. What about a swap from 32 to 12 with a conditional pick next year? Trade value chart is about the same value for 33 or a move up from 32 to 12.

Instead of Cleveland's 2nd + cond'l pick next year. What about a swap from 32 to 12 with a conditional pick next year? Trade value chart is about the same value for 33 or a move up from 32 to 12.

Good thing is, BB can just sit and wait for the best offer to come in.

Do you do that to target specific player or to try and control the draft board more?

Do you do that to target specific player or to try and control the draft board more?
I'm thinking more of an impact player. Garrett and Allen will be gone. What if an elite defensive player such as; Foster, Hooker, Adams or S. Thomas is still there? I think Hooker is the best player in the draft. We don't really use FS/SS. We'd never give up a big play with McCourty and Hooker at safety.

From Mary Kay Cabot, a Browns beat writer:

2. The Browns will make a pitch for Jimmy Garoppolo

Sources say the Browns' interest in Garoppolo is real and that they'll try to trade for him depending on how their evaluations of the draft prospects go over the next five weeks or so.

If the Browns decide to draft Mitch Trubisky or Deshaun Watson in the first round, they'll be much less likely to pursue the Patriots' backup -- although they likely wouldn't rule out doing both.

But they'll have competition for Garoppolo, and that will drive up the price. Falcons offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan liked him coming out of the draft, and might pursue once he gets the 49ers job after the Super Bowl.

Interesting about Shanahan like Jimmy G in the draft.

Browns' buzz on Jimmy Garoppolo, Deshaun Watson and Mitch Trubisky at the Senior Bowl

From Mary Kay Cabot, a Browns beat writer:

Interesting about Shanahan like Jimmy G in the draft.

Browns' buzz on Jimmy Garoppolo, Deshaun Watson and Mitch Trubisky at the Senior Bowl

All we need is for one of the top 3 picks to get very interested in JimmyG, and the whole draft changes.

I would've been shocked a month ago to think we could end up with a top 5 pick. Now, I am 50/50.

You have a coach in Cleveland who is going to get his guy at QB, one way or another. A Front office in San Fran who have openly talked about Jimmy being worth MORE than the 1st pick and a new coach who values the player and his playing style. Then you have the Bears, that are possibly a QB away from the playoffs and a coach who needs to win this year to keep his job, and got to watch Jimmy during training camp last summer.

Stars are aligning, me thinks.

All we need is for one of the top 3 picks to get very interested in JimmyG, and the whole draft changes.

I would've been shocked a month ago to think we could end up with a top 5 pick. Now, I am 50/50.

You have a coach in Cleveland who is going to get his guy at QB, one way or another. A Front office in San Fran who have openly talked about Jimmy being worth MORE than the 1st pick and a new coach who values the player and his playing style. Then you have the Bears, that are possibly a QB away from the playoffs and a coach who needs to win this year to keep his job, and got to watch Jimmy during training camp last summer.

Stars are aligning, me thinks.

Only problem might be if Cousins comes on the market. He'll probably be the no 1 guy just because of his experience. But then he won't give a team the flexibility of a Jimmy G. One cheap year, only a one year commitment but up to three years without having to commit long term.

Only problem might be if Cousins comes on the market. He'll probably be the no 1 guy just because of his experience. But then he won't give a team the flexibility of a Jimmy G. One cheap year, only a one year commitment but up to three years without having to commit long term.

Cousins is a wild card, but I still don't see Washington letting him walk.

Their GM is too smart to be void of talent at QB. There was talk of them trading for JimmyG last draft, so they are obviously cautious with the position.

Cousins is a wild card, but I still don't see Washington letting him walk.

Their GM is too smart to be void of talent at QB. There was talk of them trading for JimmyG last draft, so they are obviously cautious with the position.

Let's just hope that the Browns, 49ers and Bears hate the draft QBs and really like Jimmy. I like the idea of a bidding war.

Let's just hope that the Browns, 49ers and Bears hate the draft QBs and really like Jimmy. I like the idea of a bidding war.

Agreed. Would make this the sweetest of seasons after how depressing last season finished and how boring the draft season was.

Agreed. Would make this the sweetest of seasons after how depressing last season finished and how boring the draft season was.

We, as Patsfans, won't know what to do with ourselves if we had a high first round pick. Uncharted territory. This board will get busier though :)

I can understand the excitement about JG trade . its a draft board after all . but the best news regarding Jimmy from Pats point of view might be .. he stays.

If he does get traded . Id expect more draft capital going to next year(s).
Pats will have 70M+ in FA and 7 picks in first 5 rounds.
That's more than enough for BB to build another great roster.

I can understand the excitement about JG trade . its a draft board after all . but the best news regarding Jimmy from Pats point of view might be .. he stays.

If he does get traded . Id expect more draft capital going to next year(s).
Pats will have 70M+ in FA and 7 picks in first 5 rounds.
That's more than enough for BB to build another great roster.

That wouldn't surprise me either.

With next years draft being loaded with QBs and tackles, it would be a great draft to either use as leverage in a trade, or really start planning for the post-Brady years.

The more I look at it and the more information we get, I think the worst case scenario for a Jimmy G trade is the #12 pick from Cleveland.

There are two teams that 100% have to get new QB's for next season and that is Cleveland and SF. The Browns aren't going to spend the #1 pick on a rookie QB and all of the top guys will be gone by #12. With such a weak draft and free agent class, Jimmy is by far the most attractive option and the Browns have no leverage to negotiate a lower price. They either bite the bullet and trade for Jimmy, trade up from 12 and pay over what it would cost for Jimmy to get one of the rookies in the top 6 or continue to be stuck in QB purgatory.

The third option for them (and I think I am probably the only person on the planet that would do this) would be to trade back from #1. It would be really tough to pass on Myles Garrett, but if I could trade back into the 4-6 range and pick up a high 2nd and a 2018 1st, I would send those extra picks to New England for Garoppolo and draft Jamal Adams and Reuben Foster. For Cleveland I think Garoppolo, Adams and Foster>Garrett and Garoppolo/#12th pick.

The other team that absolutely has to get a QB is San Francisco. With a new Head Coach, GM and completely depleted roster, there is no way either take the job without knowing they will get a QB. So the question becomes how do they evaluate Jimmy compared to the QB's in this draft. There have been reports that Kyle Shanahan really liked Jimmy coming out of Eastern Illinois. Mark Dominik is expected to be hired by the 49ers in a senior role and he has previously gushed about Jimmy and said he doesn't know if the #2 pick would be enough for New England to trade Garoppolo, showing how valuable he thinks he is.

If I'm the Patriots I am demanding the #2 pick from SF for Garoppolo. It may seem like a lot but if the 49ers don't trade for a QB they will have to draft one 2nd overall. That #2 pick is going to be used on a QB either way so I would let them decide who they prefer. If they like Garoppolo better than any of the rookies then the trade is a no-brainer. Jimmy is young, under contract cheap for another year and SF has $80mil in cap space (likely a lot more after they clean up the roster) so needing to pay Jimmy after 2017 doesn't change his value all that much. It also allows them to rebuild right away instead of waiting a few years for a rookie to develop.

Could you imagine how much the Pats would control the QB market if they could get the #2 pick from SF? Cleveland take Garrett #1 then the Pats auction the #2 pick for the best QB available in the draft. With such a weak QB class and so many varying opinions on each player, teams could get desperate to move up and get 'their guy'. The Bears might get worry about getting jumped and want to move up 1 spot to get their top rated guy. Who knows what the future is for Philip Rivers in San Diego. The Bills need a new QB. Cleveland might get really desperate and try and make a big jump up from 12.

I think the best trade back option from #2 though could actually be the Jets at #6 for two reasons. Firstly, being division rivals we could demand more in compensation, especially for regime on the hot seat and needing to turn things around quickly to save their jobs. The second reason is I am not scared of any QB in this draft. I would love for the Jets to blow draft capital moving up for a guy I don't think will be very good. The Jets drafting a QB in the top 10 will almost certainly stop them from drafting one early next year in what looks to be a far superior QB class. Luckily for us the Jets don't have the luxury of waiting another year for a QB because the decision makers would be out of the job by then anyway.

I could be completely wrong but I think the market is developing perfectly to get a good haul for Garoppolo.

The more I look at it and the more information we get, I think the worst case scenario for a Jimmy G trade is the #12 pick from Cleveland.

There are two teams that 100% have to get new QB's for next season and that is Cleveland and SF. The Browns aren't going to spend the #1 pick on a rookie QB and all of the top guys will be gone by #12. With such a weak draft and free agent class, Jimmy is by far the most attractive option and the Browns have no leverage to negotiate a lower price. They either bite the bullet and trade for Jimmy, trade up from 12 and pay over what it would cost for Jimmy to get one of the rookies in the top 6 or continue to be stuck in QB purgatory.

The third option for them (and I think I am probably the only person on the planet that would do this) would be to trade back from #1. It would be really tough to pass on Myles Garrett, but if I could trade back into the 4-6 range and pick up a high 2nd and a 2018 1st, I would send those extra picks to New England for Garoppolo and draft Jamal Adams and Reuben Foster. For Cleveland I think Garoppolo, Adams and Foster>Garrett and Garoppolo/#12th pick.

The other team that absolutely has to get a QB is San Francisco. With a new Head Coach, GM and completely depleted roster, there is no way either take the job without knowing they will get a QB. So the question becomes how do they evaluate Jimmy compared to the QB's in this draft. There have been reports that Kyle Shanahan really liked Jimmy coming out of Eastern Illinois. Mark Dominik is expected to be hired by the 49ers in a senior role and he has previously gushed about Jimmy and said he doesn't know if the #2 pick would be enough for New England to trade Garoppolo, showing how valuable he thinks he is.

If I'm the Patriots I am demanding the #2 pick from SF for Garoppolo. It may seem like a lot but if the 49ers don't trade for a QB they will have to draft one 2nd overall. That #2 pick is going to be used on a QB either way so I would let them decide who they prefer. If they like Garoppolo better than any of the rookies then the trade is a no-brainer. Jimmy is young, under contract cheap for another year and SF has $80mil in cap space (likely a lot more after they clean up the roster) so needing to pay Jimmy after 2017 doesn't change his value all that much. It also allows them to rebuild right away instead of waiting a few years for a rookie to develop.

Could you imagine how much the Pats would control the QB market if they could get the #2 pick from SF? Cleveland take Garrett #1 then the Pats auction the #2 pick for the best QB available in the draft. With such a weak QB class and so many varying opinions on each player, teams could get desperate to move up and get 'their guy'. The Bears might get worry about getting jumped and want to move up 1 spot to get their top rated guy. Who knows what the future is for Philip Rivers in San Diego. The Bills need a new QB. Cleveland might get really desperate and try and make a big jump up from 12.

I think the best trade back option from #2 though could actually be the Jets at #6 for two reasons. Firstly, being division rivals we could demand more in compensation, especially for regime on the hot seat and needing to turn things around quickly to save their jobs. The second reason is I am not scared of any QB in this draft. I would love for the Jets to blow draft capital moving up for a guy I don't think will be very good. The Jets drafting a QB in the top 10 will almost certainly stop them from drafting one early next year in what looks to be a far superior QB class. Luckily for us the Jets don't have the luxury of waiting another year for a QB because the decision makers would be out of the job by then anyway.

I could be completely wrong but I think the market is developing perfectly to get a good haul for Garoppolo.

Completely agree with this. SF is a no brainer IMO as is Cleveland at #12. Between spending a first rounder on any of this rookie QB's or Jimmy, i know who i would choose.

Another possible suitor is Arizona at #13.

One thing to remember when talking about Hue Jackson and his desire for a starting QB.

October 2011

Raiders get
Carson Palmer

Bengals get
2012 first (Dre Kirkpatrick)
2013 second (gio Bernard)

At the time, Palmer was "retired" and refused to show up to bengals facility. Management refused to move off their asking point and were at a stalemate with Palmer.

Hue knowing his job depended on a qb. begged management to make a significant move.

They did the trade, Oakland hit the wall and much of the bengals "success" comes back to the extra assets from this trade.

So, don't forget how important a qb is to a coach who need so win at all costs.

Last edited:

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back