PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The JimmyG pick(s)

Now that there is an open market for him w/ multiple suitors. They are going to get quite the stash for him.

Cowherd has entered the hot take universe, and has been throwing out wild trade ideas for awhile.

At the same time, here's Trent dilfer, who actually has a lot of football connections saying a lot of the same things.

Dilfer: Trade the farm for Jimmy Garoppolo if you have to

I don't know want to think, but the world will blow up if we end up with a monster haul.

Brady throwing to Mike Williams...

If Cleveland traded their #12 and their two second rounders, and bearing in mind they have the most cap space available, they could sign a number of premium FAs and still come out of the draft with Myles Garrett and a franchise QB in Jimmy G. That would be a win in anyones book.

If Cleveland traded their #12 and their two second rounders, and bearing in mind they have the most cap space available, they could sign a number of premium FAs and still come out of the draft with Myles Garrett and a franchise QB in Jimmy G. That would be a win in anyones book.

That's what I don't understand when people complain about the cost of acquiring him.

If he's a franchise qb, there's no cost too high. If he's only worth a second rounder, what's the point of bringing him in? You either need a solution at the position,or patience.

I will add at this point if we get #12 (and whatever else) I would nearly auto trade it for #20/21 and #52/53.

The only player I feel they 100% must pick at #12 is Foster but I very highly doubt he falls there. I feel like you can pass on nearly any CB/DE on the board cause of guys later on but Foster and the next guy is such a gap and fills an every down starting spot instantly.

I will add at this point if we get #12 (and whatever else) I would nearly auto trade it for #20/21 and #52/53.

The only player I feel they 100% must pick at #12 is Foster but I very highly doubt he falls there. I feel like you can pass on nearly any CB/DE on the board cause of guys later on but Foster and the next guy is such a gap and fills an every down starting spot instantly.

With so much equal talents at differing positions, I think there would be a good chance that a talent that appeals to us will be there at 10-12.

Might be Foster, might be Thomas, might even be Allen.

If any of those three are there, you jump.

With so much equal talents at differing positions, I think there would be a good chance that a talent that appeals to us will be there at 10-12.

Might be Foster, might be Thomas, might even be Allen.

If any of those three are there, you jump.

Allen worries me a bit with the amount of shoulder injuries he's had already and operations on them as well... I could see him falling middle to late 1st round depending on his medical and combine

Giving up picks for Garoppolo is no different than a team trading away picks to move up in the draft to get a QB.

Did anyone see how much the Titans got from the Rams for Goff or the Browns got from the Eagles for Wentz? Those two had zero nfl experience.

If there is a team that really likes Garoppolo they will trade picks, including a 1st.

The key thing with Jimmy is that unlike Goff, Wentz, RGIII etc teams won't have to mortgage their futures. You can trade for Jimmy with a 1st and a mid round pick. You'll still have all your picks the next year. Cleveland have so many picks, they could trade a 1, 2 and a mid rounder and still pick plenty of good players to rejuvenate the franchise.

Exactly you can say the same thing about the 49ers & Bears as well.

The more I think about this, the more I think that if we trade Jimmy to Cleveland, the more I think I'd prefer their two second rounders and a pick next year than their Second First Rounder

Nice Manx I agree.

I think a great trade option might be one with many conditional options.

For instance trade him to the Browns for both their 2nd's this year. ( I really want those picks)

If he plays a certain % of snaps next year (2017) say 60 - 70% we get their 1st next year.
In 2018, it could be something along the lines of yardage, say 3000 - 3500 yards, and then we would get their 2019 1st.

It would give them a lot of insurance, but also give us an epic return if he does work out in at least decent fashion. It also would allow us to spread the wealth and potentially get a top tier player (QB) in the future around the time Brady actually does retire.

Thats a great point there. Id guess Free Agency/Trade is much more important for Cleveland then Draft this year. They had 17 rookies and 28 players who have played one or less NFL season on 53 in 2016! Even Joe Thomas commented that they will move nowhere letting veterans and prime players go all the time. They can't be starting every season with 45 inexperienced players and 8 old vets.

So Id expect they use significant portion of their draft capital on trades and future picks. And since . like you mentioned . they can do what they want on FA market . except at QB position . then “trading a farm“ (if they believe in JG) is a no brainer . and Dilfer's words are real:

“I think there’s not a price tag too high to go get Jimmy Garoppolo,” Dilfer said. “Even if you have to overpay, the odds are that he’s going to be a very good quarterback. But more importantly he’s going to give this region some hope.

“I don’t think it’s unrealistic to think Bill is going to keep him as long as he can. Or he’s going to hold everyone else hostage. I’m not saying it’s doable; I’m saying I’m doing everything I can to do it.”

I've been going back and forth trying to think if BB tries to get this done quickly.. or hold his cards close to his vest and wait it out till the draft.

My initial instinct was to think they will get this over quickly due to planning for Free Agency etc. However I've changed my mind. Here's why.

1. The longer we hold him towards the draft the more leverage we have.
2. BB always handles team building in layers. He's not going to leave holes in the roster hoping the draft will compensate for them.
3. In order to get most value there will have to be urgency. The draft will force teams to put all their cards on the table.

p.s. I'm hoping we get a deal done during the combine but I doubt it :)

I've been going back and forth trying to think if BB tries to get this done quickly.. or hold his cards close to his vest and wait it out till the draft.

My initial instinct was to think they will get this over quickly due to planning for Free Agency etc. However I've changed my mind. Here's why.

1. The longer we hold him towards the draft the more leverage we have.
2. BB always handles team building in layers. He's not going to leave holes in the roster hoping the draft will compensate for them.
3. In order to get most value there will have to be urgency. The draft will force teams to put all their cards on the table.

p.s. I'm hoping we get a deal done during the combine but I doubt it :)

Time is on BB's side. There is no reason to trade him now unless someone comes in with a really crazy offer. Deadlines usually make people more desperate so I'd say keep him as long as possible.

Again, the scenario only a few are mentioning is that we keep him even throughout the draft because he can still be moved to a desperate team at the end of July/August but it gives our coaching staff a safety net in terms of Brissett's development.

I would not be shocked if BB is fine with 2018 draft picks for the added security of knowing where Brissett is before Jimmy is traded.

Time is on BB's side. There is no reason to trade him now unless someone comes in with a really crazy offer. Deadlines usually make people more desperate so I'd say keep him as long as possible.

Again, the scenario only a few are mentioning is that we keep him even throughout the draft because he can still be moved to a desperate team at the end of July/August but it gives our coaching staff a safety net in terms of Brissett's development.

I would not be shocked if BB is fine with 2018 draft picks for the added security of knowing where Brissett is before Jimmy is traded.

The problem is that you get a much lower return and wait a year, since it's a lot harder to pick up an offense in August than in April (unless a team is desperate).

The problem is that you get a much lower return and wait a year, since it's a lot harder to pick up an offense in August than in April (unless a team is desperate).

The biggest return is that you have a better grasp on the backup QB situation which is huge as we have seen this year. This can't be understated. Tom will be over 40 and it's entirely possible that he gets banged up and misses a few games. Everyone was flipping out over HFA so maybe being sure that you have a capable backup is the most important part of the decision here.

Also, there is always a GM/coach desperate enough to get a potential franchise QB in August when they realize that what they have is crap/got injured and they wanna keep their respective jobs. Teams part give away their first round picks much easier when it's for "next year" so I wouldn't be particularly concerned about the return.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back