PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The JimmyG pick(s)

Do the Pats look at another QB? They obviously like Brisket but I wonder if they will want to keep that depth premium

Do the Pats look at another QB? They obviously like Brisket but I wonder if they will want to keep that depth premium

I'm intrigued by Patrick Mahomes. Plays in a bad one-read system but his arm talent is something else. I haven't looked at any QB closely, but Mahomes makes throwing the ball look easy.

I'm intrigued by Patrick Mahomes. Plays in a bad one-read system but his arm talent is something else. I haven't looked at any QB closely, but Mahomes makes throwing the ball look easy.

I'm surprised he's not the hyped QB, rather than Trubisky.

I'm surprised he's not the hyped QB, rather than Trubisky.

I havent watched Trubisky, but I suspect he plays in a more pro-type offense. From what I've seen from Mahomes, I'm not sure Goff was that much better (maybe marginally). I see Mahomes as a long-term investment for a team, much like Jimmy G. Having said that, I like Jacoby so I'm not overly invested in a QB.

Via Rotoworld, the SF Chronicle reports that the 49ers are McDaniels' preffered choice. I'm not saying it's true, but a package of McDaniels, Caserio and Jimmy G makes a lot of sense for SF - the West Coast Patriots. Now I don't know whether a new GM would want to give up a second overall pick, but for the sake of argument, lets imagine we keep our own and get the #2 overall. Who do you pick?

For me, it would be one trade down and then pick Reuben Foster and Budda Baker. I haven't studied CBs yet so that could change although with a presumed 2nd round pick picked up in the trade down, that would be a good place to get whichever CB drops.
If we can get Foster, i would be so happy!

How awesome would it be if we got the 2nd pick, then traded it to one of the QB hungry teams and got a rams like return of like 2 first and 4 other picks. GM, owners, and the league offices would flip.

While I certainly understand how tempting it would be to use a potential extremely high first round pick to get our hands on that rare blue chip talent, I still have to agree with others here that I'd prefer if we just continously trade that down to fatten up our picks over the next 2-3 drafts.

What it boils down to for me is that I'd rather draft someone who is 80% of that blue chip player but then can add another 2-3 good depth around the different positions to give flexibility in terms of contracts, FA and injury.

So your case of a Rams like outcome would be the dream..

The QBs this year suck so even though i think they should take one if they trade JAG i am not hopeful he will be anything.

But there are always a few potential projects. What they should do is forget about the physical entirely and look only at who might have intangibles. Anyone from this class will be a project. Look for a high ceiling guy mentally even if you have to invest years to try to fill in the rest it doesn't matter cause if you trade JAG that mean you assume you have at least 2 years before he needs to see a live NFL snap most likely.

Last edited:
The QBs this year suck so even though i think they should take one if they trade JAG i am nope hopeful he will be anything.
I doubt they'll take one, assuming they like Brissett. We've gone with the likes of Mallett and a rookie Jimmy G as a sole backup in the past. This year was different with the suspension (needing a #3 QB as a backup) and the possibility of JG playing well and being traded. QB is so important I wouldn't have a problem with a draftee if JG is traded but I would be surprised.

I doubt they'll take one, assuming they like Brissett. We've gone with the likes of Mallett and a rookie Jimmy G as a sole backup in the past. This year was different with the suspension (needing a #3 QB as a backup) and the possibility of JG playing well and being traded. QB is so important I wouldn't have a problem with a draftee if JG is traded but I would be surprised.

At this point the Pats need to try to be ready and find a guy to take over for Brady. JAG is imo the first true legit chance at a successor we have found. They need to keep looking for one or try to mold one.

At this point the Pats need to try to be ready and find a guy to take over for Brady. JAG is imo the first true legit chance at a successor we have found. They need to keep looking for one or try to mold one.
For now I expect that to be Brissett. I expect he'll get at least one more year before the team dives into the QB market again (and from the way they seem to like him, probably more than one year).

I remember all the talk of what we should get for Matt Cassel. We ended up shipping out him AND Vrabel for #34. Granted we had franchised Cassel and we're getting what we could for him. He did have a full year starting behind him.

JG straight up to Clev. for #12. I could see that. More likely #33 and there 4 next year. I would like to see a bevy of picks instead of a high pick. NE makes it's hay in later RD's. Look no further than the OL. Thuney, Mason, Cannon, Flemming, Andrews.

Mahomes is my surprise pick for us if we do indeed trade Garoppolo.

At times his footwork is terrible but it doesn't matter. His arm is so live. I remember watching him and Baker put up 1000 yards and thinking how easy both made throwing look.

I see some Stafford in him. He'll blow up his pro day n rise. Like you said a project.

Via Rotoworld, the SF Chronicle reports that the 49ers are McDaniels' preffered choice. I'm not saying it's true, but a package of McDaniels, Caserio and Jimmy G makes a lot of sense for SF - the West Coast Patriots. Now I don't know whether a new GM would want to give up a second overall pick, but for the sake of argument, lets imagine we keep our own and get the #2 overall. Who do you pick?

For me, it would be one trade down and then pick Reuben Foster and Budda Baker. I haven't studied CBs yet so that could change although with a presumed 2nd round pick picked up in the trade down, that would be a good place to get whichever CB drops.

I'm glad you posted this because I was giving this some thought. I don't think it's entirely out of the question of getting the no. 2 pick its a long shot but it isn't impossible. I think mcdaniels if he were to be the next coach of the 49ers knows hes gonna need to have a qb to even be somewhat close to being successful in his first year. So maybe trading for someone who he thinks is going to be "the guy" for that franchise then it might be worth takin the risk.

But anyways I was thinking of what BB could possibly do with a no. 2 overall pick and my hope would be getting Reuben foster with a trade back because I don't believe cleveland will pass on Garrett. Plus the added picks will go a long way in this deep of a draft.

I'm glad you posted this because I was giving this some thought. I don't think it's entirely out of the question of getting the no. 2 pick its a long shot but it isn't impossible. I think mcdaniels if he were to be the next coach of the 49ers knows hes gonna need to have a qb to even be somewhat close to being successful in his first year. So maybe trading for someone who he thinks is going to be "the guy" for that franchise then it might be worth takin the risk.

But anyways I was thinking of what BB could possibly do with a no. 2 overall pick and my hope would be getting Reuben foster with a trade back because I don't believe cleveland will pass on Garrett. Plus the added picks will go a long way in this deep of a draft.

I agree that it is unlikely that we could get the #2 overall pick but I also wouldn't completely rule it out. The 49ers have to get a QB, whether its trade for Jimmy G, go all out for Kirk Cousins or draft one with the #2 pick. I can't see Washington letting Cousins get away so it comes down to Jimmy vs Trubiski/Kizer. We know McDaniels has very strong opinions on what QB he wants to have after his time in Denver and he knows exactly what Jimmy is capable of. After having one failure already as a head coach he also doesn't have the same luxury of time to turn things around that other young coaches may have. He has to show improvement quickly or he may not get a chance at this again.

BB has a chance to really hold McDaniels over a barrel here. Josh would know better than anybody if Jimmy is really a franchise QB and will have to pay for it. A ready made QB who you are familiar with and know can run your system well seems like a much more valuable commodity to me than a rookie QB who will have to learn a new system, adjust to NFL speed and will also be over-drafted because of such a weak QB class.

SF also desperately needs help at WR, so if Josh is hired I could see Jimmy G and Amendola for the #2 pick. They hopefully get their franchise QB and a veteran WR who can plug and play in their system and they have a ton of cap space to take on DA's contract and extend Jimmy G. Still unlikely, but as you said, not impossible.

What would BB do with the #2 pick? I agree he would likely trade down. I like Allen but the value would be too good to pass up. Maybe we could take advantage of a desperate Jets team looking jump ahead of Chicago for a QB. Move down and take Reuben Foster while picking up a 2018 1st would be incredible. I would look to load up on 2018 draft capital for what looks like a very strong OT class next year (Connor Williams from Texas could be the next Joe Thomas).

Would anybody be upset if we traded Jimmy to the bears for their 1st in 2017, RB David Cobb, CB Cre'Von LeBlanc and DE Jonathan Bullard and a 4th in 2018.

Would anybody be upset if we traded Jimmy to the bears for their 1st in 2017, RB David Cobb, CB Cre'Von LeBlanc and DE Jonathan Bullard and a 4th in 2018.

We'd get nothing more than their first. It's 3rd overall. That's like 2 firsts. We ain't even getting a sniff at that for Jimmy G. Let alone the other pieces you mentioned.

Have a feeling this board loved Bullard.

That would be quite the get but I think too much.

My most likely scenario is Jimmy G to the Browns for #12 straight up. Maybe something in 2018. But I'm very OK with just #12. Since they have two 1sts.

And with #12 I'd be seriously hoping for LB Reuben Foster ('Bama) but SS Jabrill Peppers (Michigan) would make my day too.

I loved Bullard last year so I'd be tempted but I'm not sure it's quite enough. I know he's been a bit of a bust, but swap LeBlanc for Kyle Fuller as a reclamation project and I'd be all over it. I loved Kyle Fuller!

Edit: Missed that you included a first too. That's too much.

Give me Fuller, Bullard and a 2nd this year and a 4th or 3rd next year and I'd take that.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Back