PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The JimmyG pick(s)

You can trust me. If Belichick has the chance at Jonathan Allen, he's pulling the trigger, and not trading back.

Allen checks off every check box in the "perfect Belichick player"

Im dreaming & wishing, as I'm sure Bill is too.

He checks a lot of boxes, but I have serious questions about his athleticism for that portion of the draft. not to mention him playing the same position as brown, and both being below the usual measurements for the position.

You can trust me. If Belichick has the chance at Jonathan Allen, he's pulling the trigger, and not trading back.

Allen checks off every check box in the "perfect Belichick player"

Im dreaming & wishing, as I'm sure Bill is too.

I don't know whether Belichick would put all his eggs in one basket in the light of the Easley/Jones/Collins fails (all athletic freaks that proved to underrachieve for various reasons) while he could use the hype around some of the most coveted top prospects, including Allen, to get a huge return (multiple early round selections that could net him several quality starters). If he actually thinks Jonathan Allen would be worth pulling the trigger on one stud (the DLine chess piece / disruptor he tried to get in Easley) instead of taking a shot on three top 100 players in a very deep draft, then I would expect Allen to turn into the Hightower / DMac of the DLine for the next 10 years which would eventually be a good return for Jimmy.

I don't know whether Belichick would put all his eggs in one basket in the light of the Easley/Jones/Collins fails (all athletic freaks that proved to underrachieve for various reasons) while he could use the hype around some of the most coveted top prospects, including Allen, to get a huge return (multiple early round selections that could net him several quality starters). If he actually thinks Jonathan Allen would be worth pulling the trigger on one stud (the DLine chess piece / disruptor he tried to get in Easley) instead of taking a shot on three top 100 players in a very deep draft, then I would expect Allen to turn into the Hightower / DMac of the DLine for the next 10 years which would eventually be a good return for Jimmy.

Right now I have Allen ahead of Garrett as he has played better competition so he is more of a sure thing.

That being said I would hate for the success of the JAG trade to rest on 1 draft pick. But if they were to do it Allen is for sure the guy I'd do it for. Of course if they could move up to a top 3 pick i would be super happy.

Personally though I would rather trade the pick. Who knows... Maybe you are walking away from a HOF player. But I do know if you trade that pick you will get a lot. With that pick you can move down 5-6 spots and get a first round pick next year. I would be much happier doing that.

The thing with Allen is, he is just so versatile. He's equally as much of an end as he is a interior rusher. In a way, you're getting a bennett type player. Most likely all pro at both positions if given the opportunity.

Where Bill would pull the trigger, is with his work ethic, and his character. Totally a team first guy, and he would be sure to know this via Saban.
If I think bill would have a doubts, they would stem from him know what types of contracts these rare types of player get after their rookie contract. Regardless, you get 5 years of top tier talent on a rookie contract.

Theres a lot of guys I like in the late first, and 2nd- 3rd rounds, so I wouldn't be opposed to trading back for more picks in those rounds

The Browns control this draft based on their current draft positions in the 1st round and because of this league wide perception, I suspect the BB is using his media friends (Lombardi) and willing accomplices (Schefter) to stir the pot and create anxiety among QB needy teams.

What I believe: Cleveland will never trade their 1st #1 draft pick for JG nor do I believe any QB needy team thinks the Browns would do this.

What I think: Cleveland wants/needs to expedite their rebuild with a game ready QB who can have both short and long term success....putting their #10 pick in play for JG. Either Belichick has already had this discussion with Cleveland or expects this discussion shortly.

Either way, BB has used his media accomplices to set the bar at #10 through the media:
1) Lombardi projecting Cleveland's desire
2) Schefter stating a #1 pick is not enough

The insinuation: Teams wanting JG must offer a package better than #10 or he's going to the Browns.

Will this work? Gutless GMs will likely balk at paying both high draft picks and high salary. However, the one year left on JG's contract does present an interested team an out....but the cost is still a #1.
Get Kevin Cosner on the phone!

The Browns control this draft based on their current draft positions in the 1st round and because of this league wide perception, I suspect the BB is using his media friends (Lombardi) and willing accomplices (Schefter) to stir the pot and create anxiety among QB needy teams.

What I believe: Cleveland will never trade their 1st #1 draft pick for JG nor do I believe any QB needy team thinks the Browns would do this.

What I think: Cleveland wants/needs to expedite their rebuild with a game ready QB who can have both short and long term success....putting their #10 pick in play for JG. Either Belichick has already had this discussion with Cleveland or expects this discussion shortly.

Either way, BB has used his media accomplices to set the bar at #10 through the media:
1) Lombardi projecting Cleveland's desire
2) Schefter stating a #1 pick is not enough

The insinuation: Teams wanting JG must offer a package better than #10 or he's going to the Browns.

Will this work? Gutless GMs will likely balk at paying both high draft picks and high salary. However, the one year left on JG's contract does present an interested team an out....but the cost is still a #1.
Get Kevin Cosner on the phone!

Just to add some layers to the narrative.

The one thing that I think moves in the browns direction is there is no way they draft a guy who has to sit for a year in the top 10. I say that because it could create a lot of turmoil if Cody Kessler is even half way decent next season. And do they really spend a second on anyone who will also have to sit, wasting the extra draft capital they have added?

With trubisky and kizer the two clear top QBs, and both needing an awful lot of patience, either going to a team that will have another young qb who will have two years of starting before either of those guys are ready to see the field.

If they were to trade for someone like JimmyG, at least they have clear stability at the position, with great depth of Kessler behind him.

Just to add some layers to the narrative.

The one thing that I think moves in the browns direction is there is no way they draft a guy who has to sit for a year in the top 10. I say that because it could create a lot of turmoil if Cody Kessler is even half way decent next season. And do they really spend a second on anyone who will also have to sit, wasting the extra draft capital they have added?

With trubisky and kizer the two clear top QBs, and both needing an awful lot of patience, either going to a team that will have another young qb who will have two years of starting before either of those guys are ready to see the field.

If they were to trade for someone like JimmyG, at least they have clear stability at the position, with great depth of Kessler behind him.

Taking Garrett at 1 and Jimmy with their second first makes too much sense.

If were trading him to Cleaved, I want one of their early 2nd just because they have it.

Instead of the first, or 1st and 2nd?

I think the second round will be where the value is along with the top 10. A bunch of good prospects likely to fall out of the first.

Taking Garrett at 1 and Jimmy with their second first makes too much sense.

Ive been saying the same thing for months now. Do exactly what Oakland did. Get your freak defender and the right QB.

I actually compared both to each and think at their best Carr and JG are very similar. Mobile. Good at manipulating the pocket with their feet. Accurate. Not great but nice arm with touch. Both get nervous with guys around their feet and pressure (under 27% accuracy I believe for both coming out)

I'd go Garrett over Allen 100 X's out of 100.

He checks a lot of boxes, but I have serious questions about his athleticism for that portion of the draft. not to mention him playing the same position as brown, and both being below the usual measurements for the position.

I was wanting to see Aaron Donald when I watched him based upon the buzz. He's not Aaron Donald.

Via Rotoworld, the SF Chronicle reports that the 49ers are McDaniels' preffered choice. I'm not saying it's true, but a package of McDaniels, Caserio and Jimmy G makes a lot of sense for SF - the West Coast Patriots. Now I don't know whether a new GM would want to give up a second overall pick, but for the sake of argument, lets imagine we keep our own and get the #2 overall. Who do you pick?

For me, it would be one trade down and then pick Reuben Foster and Budda Baker. I haven't studied CBs yet so that could change although with a presumed 2nd round pick picked up in the trade down, that would be a good place to get whichever CB drops.

Via Rotoworld, the SF Chronicle reports that the 49ers are McDaniels' preffered choice. I'm not saying it's true, but a package of McDaniels, Caserio and Jimmy G makes a lot of sense for SF - the West Coast Patriots. Now I don't know whether a new GM would want to give up a second overall pick, but for the sake of argument, lets imagine we keep our own and get the #2 overall. Who do you pick?

For me, it would be one trade down and then pick Reuben Foster and Budda Baker. I haven't studied CBs yet so that could change although with a presumed 2nd round pick picked up in the trade down, that would be a good place to get whichever CB drops.

It's the basic concept (and players) that I have been suggesting for awhile.

My one concern about Foster is that he played this season closer to 225, which allowed him to play a lot faster. I think it definitely helped in that regard, but there's no way his body will hold up as an inside backer in our defense over the long haul.

Don't get me wrong, I love the player to death, but his weight and build are a question mark.

I was wanting to see Aaron Donald when I watched him based upon the buzz. He's not Aaron Donald.

Fletcher cox is the name that gets thrown around alot, and I just don't see it. Donald, cox and watt are athletic unicorns, which is why I never understand avg athletes being compared to them.

Allen is the best college level tactician I have ever seen. He's a pro playing college ball. At the same time, watch any Alabama game or tape, and Allen is always the last one off the snap. Some players will do that strategically, but Allen really does lack in explosion.

Love the player, but there's no way I take him in the top 3 picks.

It's the basic concept (and players) that I have been suggesting for awhile.

My one concern about Foster is that he played this season closer to 225, which allowed him to play a lot faster. I think it definitely helped in that regard, but there's no way his body will hold up as an inside backer in our defense over the long haul.

Don't get me wrong, I love the player to death, but his weight and build are a question mark.

I think that's less of a problem alongside Hightower and behind those big DTs, but I understand where you're coming from. BB has drafted smaller linebackers in consecutive years however so there is a role for him initially and they can choose to either bulk him up back to around 240 or keep his as a rangy run and hit linebacker.

If not Foster, then one of the CBs or Solomon Thomas.

Fletcher cox is the name that gets thrown around alot, and I just don't see it. Donald, cox and watt are athletic unicorns, which is why I never understand avg athletes being compared to them.

Allen is the best college level tactician I have ever seen. He's a pro playing college ball. At the same time, watch any Alabama game or tape, and Allen is always the last one off the snap. Some players will do that strategically, but Allen really does lack in explosion.

Love the player, but there's no way I take him in the top 3 picks.

I agree. I don't see much ceiling to Allen. He is good, and he'll always be a good consistent player in the NFL. I'm not sure I see a future all-pro though.

I think that's less of a problem alongside Hightower and behind those big DTs, but I understand where you're coming from. BB has drafted smaller linebackers in consecutive years however so there is a role for him initially and they can choose to either bulk him up back to around 240 or keep his as a rangy run and hit linebacker.

If not Foster, then one of the CBs or Solomon Thomas.

Navarro bowman is a popular comp, but I like Thomas Davis. So athletic to cover in space, but also incredible at diagnosing plays.

If we were to pass on Foster, I think I would probably trade down again to the 20s, pick up an extra 2, and take the best DT/de on the board.

How awesome would it be if we got the 2nd pick, then traded it to one of the QB hungry teams and got a rams like return of like 2 first and 4 other picks. GM, owners, and the league offices would flip.

How awesome would it be if we got the 2nd pick, then traded it to one of the QB hungry teams and got a rams like return of like 2 first and 4 other picks. GM, owners, and the league offices would flip.

And then BB drafts an undersized corner, a backup QB and a safety no-one's heard of and Patsfans flips :)

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back