PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Importance To Belichick of QB2

Status
Not open for further replies.
How important is the role of backup quarterback to Belichick?

Most of us simply say that we're screwed if Brady is injured and leave it at that. Some teams spend considerable resources on the backup QB and even carry a 3rd QB.

For Belichick, the position seems an important one. He has twice used a 3rd round pick to train a player with the idea of filling the position after a year's training. Belichick likes to ahve competition for the roster spot, and has occasionally carried 3 QB's to make sure that he always had a qualified backup that he could rely on.

I submit is that the issue with Mallett is not how much the patriots can get for him in trade. I think that the question for Belichick is whether Mallett is good enough to be the backup quarterback, this year and especially in the future. It is just possible that Mallett just hasn't shown Belichick much. Perhaps Tebow is simply in competition for the QB2 spot, this year and next. After all, Mallett is in his contract year.

BTW, I think the idea of Tebow not fitting the system is an illusion. No one fits the system. The game plan would change for anyone not named Brady. Mallet, the gunslinger, doesn't fit the system any better than Tebow. With a year of training, I suspect that Tebow will be much more ready to step in as needed than would be Mallett. I am NOT sure who I would rather have in this year, if Brady were out for a few games. We know that Tebow is coachable, disciplined and smart. And he has actually played the position of NFL quarterback for a few games.

Make no mistake, Tebow was signed to play quarterback. He is now the #3 quarterback. Perhaps, we will keep three, perhaps not. It can only be a positive if Tebow is viewed as competition for Mallett, rather than some reason to take Brady off the field for a few plays (that dog don't hunt).

Mallett is 1000 miles ahead of Tebow. BB is not going to turn his team over to a gimmick offense that requires 60 yard FGs and a defense allowing 7 points tom win.
Of course Mallett fits the system better because he can throw the football much more accurately.
Tebow, IMO, is here because although he has deal breaking flaws, BB wants to see if he can correct them in time.
Tebows signing has nothing to do with Mallett.

An emergency QB is a different issue that the #3 QB. The #3 QB would be inactive. Yes, we have always had an emergency quarterback (once this was Faulk).

If Tebow is better, then we should keep him. For me, it is that simple. sfter all, Mallett might have trade value, or not.

The difference between our positions is that I don't make conclusions before the competition has taken place.

And just BTW, if both quarterbacks do well in camp and the preseason, either would be signed quickly by another team if we were to cut him.
It appears no one else in the league was interested in signing Tebow, and it was the Patriots or Canada. Preseason play is unlikely to change that.
It is certainly possible that Tebow is cut and placed on the shadow roster rather than carrying a 3, because is seems unlikely any team would sign him.

I do not know how to ignore. Does the forum have a function?

Yes. There are two ways to do it, that I know of.

The first:

Click on the screen name of the person to be put on ignore. That will pull up a few options, including "view public profile"

Click on the "view public profile" link. That will pull up the member's profile page. Under the member's screen name on that page is an option that says "User lists".

Click on "user lists". You'll see an option that says "add to ignore list". You click on that and you'll be asked to verify that you want to put that person on ignore.

Click on "Yes", and the person is on ignore.

The second:

Go to your own "User CP". On the left side, you'll see a bunch of options, including "Edit ignore list".

Click on "edit ignore list". Add the member's name, click "OK" and then click "save changes".

I hope this helps.

Yes. There are two ways to do it, that I know of.

The first:

Click on the screen name of the person to be put on ignore. That will pull up a few options, including "view public profile"

Click on the "view public profile" link. That will pull up the member's profile page. Under the member's screen name on that page is an option that says "User lists".

Click on "user lists". You'll see an option that says "add to ignore list". You click on that and you'll be asked to verify that you want to put that person on ignore.

Click on "Yes", and the person is on ignore.

The second:

Go to your own "User CP". On the left side, you'll see a bunch of options, including "Edit ignore list".

Click on "edit ignore list". Add the member's name, click "OK" and then click "save changes".

I hope this helps.

It does help. Thank you very much.

It appears no one else in the league was interested in signing Tebow, and it was the Patriots or Canada. Preseason play is unlikely to change that.
It is certainly possible that Tebow is cut and placed on the shadow roster rather than carrying a 3, because is seems unlikely any team would sign him.

If Tebow was to go to IR could we reach an injury settlement to buy him out and then resign him during the season if we needed him to be on the active roster?

I know that we can have one IR player eligible to return in season but I would rather they save that for someone more viable to the teams success.

Mallett sucks, the rest of the league reaffirmed this by not trading for him in the worst QB draft in 10 years.

Hey ironman... Here's where you're WRONG.. I was covering the Broncos while Tim TeBow was on the team... Where were you then?...Were you on the front lines like I was?..... I tolerated that crap in Denver... Tim, Me, my followers and readers all got kicked on our cans after saving those bums and taking them to the playoffs.. And what was our thanks from 'HorseMouth' Elway and John 'Not smart like a' Fox.. What was our thx?..."We want 'BrokeNeck' Manning"...."Oh yeah, Tim sorry"..."But we're going to sabotage your career and send you to New York....... I sat through that Fat Piggy Rexxy Ryan and that fruit pickin 'Dirty' Sanchize..Where were you then?. Watched in pure disgust... Watching a guy in Tim TeBow, who I once knew.... I once knew to dominate the gm. as a playmaker.. These people need to know what Tim and his fans have went through. God Bless

3rd time I ask you where I can read this blog of yours or what you have written.

Mallett sucks, the rest of the league reaffirmed this by not trading for him in the worst QB draft in 10 years.

I think part of the reason he wasn't traded was other teams inability to extend him prior to the season. That won't be the case this offseason.

Also we don't know if the Patriots felt they could get better value in this upcoming offseason and turned down a trade. The only QB's taken in the first 2 rounds of the draft were by in division teams and we weren't trading Mallett to them. After most were taken in the 4th which would of been a lesser pick than we spent on Mallett originally.

How do you know they didn't? Maybe they tried and were knocked back - the suggestion was that both the Bucs and Browns were interested (and the Bucs drafted a similar type QB in the 3rd).

I'd still like to think Mallett will be the heir to Brady someday. A big camp and a big preseason will go a long way to make sure he stays in that line.

In any ordinary year, this preseason would be Mallett's "Coming Out Party". While Brady rested, Mallett would display what he has for Belichick, even as BB created all the extraordinary tests for POISE and QB leadership that he did with Matt Cassell. Remember how many were calling for his release back in the preseason of 2008, because BB purposely gave him a porous O-Line, and future cut receivers to throw the ball to?

But this is NOT a usual preseason. Brady needs time to build a relationship with his new receiving corps. More than likely this outranks the plans for testing the second string QB. I fear Mallett will remain and enigma, an uncertain Backup while the self-appointed, Know-it-all, fans howl for Malletts cut or trade, like they did for Cassell.

Meanwhile the Tebow "Delirious" chant for their man, to replace both TB and RM no matter what.

But this is NOT a usual preseason. Brady needs time to build a relationship with his new receiving corps. More than likely this outranks the plans for testing the second string QB. I fear Mallett will remain and enigma, an uncertain Backup while the self-appointed, Know-it-all, fans howl for Malletts cut or trade, like they did for Cassell.

OTOH, do you really want Brady playing 20 games before the playoffs?

Mallett's still going to get his PT, just not quite as much as we would have liked.

Ironman, I wrote on ESPN and Twitter... I watched the persecution at the hands on the NFL big wigs... I watched Tim do nothing but succeed at the QB position at EVERY level!!!... And then get black balled and rail roaded all the way to the bench... And now the greatest Winner I've ever seen put on his cleats can't even get a shot... That's why I have to ask... What is it about Tim that people have against him?.. His religion?..(of course)... His Race?(Plays a huge part)... His success? (envy and jealousy definitely play a role).. Or maybe the fact that he's a good guy who doesn't fit the mold.. And people just can't stand that... God Bless

Ironman, I wrote on ESPN and Twitter... I watched the persecution at the hands on the NFL big wigs... I watched Tim do nothing but succeed at the QB position at EVERY level!!!... And then get black balled and rail roaded all the way to the bench... And now the greatest Winner I've ever seen put on his cleats can't even get a shot... That's why I have to ask... What is it about Tim that people have against him?.. His religion?..(of course)... His Race?(Plays a huge part)... His success? (envy and jealousy definitely play a role).. Or maybe the fact that he's a good guy who doesn't fit the mold.. And people just can't stand that... God Bless

2u3y4i9.jpg

OTOH, do you really want Brady playing 20 games before the playoffs?

Mallett's still going to get his PT, just not quite as much as we would have liked.

I think he just means its likely he'll have to play more snaps than he has in the past few preseasons so he can develop some in game trust with all the new receivers.

Don't get bitter little joker boy... Just because you can't stand the facts... God Bless

I think he just means its likely he'll have to play more snaps than he has in the past few preseasons so he can develop some in game trust with all the new receivers.

OTOH, 2008 was a special case, since Brady didn't take any snaps that preseason, and somehow I suspect that was not by Belichick's choice.

Amen.. Josh will do wonders with Tim... Finally a Coach who actually believes in Tim... God Bless

tebow-helmet-pass-9-23-12.gif

WONDERBOY!

I'd still like to think Mallett will be the heir to Brady someday. A big camp and a big preseason will go a long way to make sure he stays in that line.

Hey SB - Good to see you over here. There is no doubt that Mallett is going to serve as the #2. I want to see progress from him during the pre-season and in training camp before anointing him as a long-term solution. Tebow is going to be lucky to make this roster and 99% of us, not named American_Ch(u)mpion, now that.

Ladies and Gentlemen - American Champion is a troll from the ESPN message boards and should be handled accordingly. Just so you know....

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST