PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Giants have proven the SB was no fluke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lifer

Banned
Reaction score
After SB 36 people thought it a huge upset the 11-5 Patriots knocked off the Rams and it wasnt until the next year and then the following year that they showed it was no fluke, that the Patriots may have been 11-5, but starting from the time they were 5-5, they really were the best team.

Similarly i think i have been wrong about the Super Bowl. I thought the Patriots had no business losing to the Giants. The fact that the Giants caught their stride late in the season, that they had won all those road games in a row, that they had gone into Dallas and Green Bay and won, that the Patriots were playing so-so down the stretch, all that was lost in the pain of the loss.

But this year the Giants have shown they really were that good all along. They are the best team in football right now, they exposed many of the Patriots weaknesses in the SB, long before Brady went down in week one this year, and now I can almost take solace in the fact that on that day in Phoenix, the best team truly won.

the 2007 Giants were better than the 2007 Patriots, they deserved that championship, and the Patriots didnt "blow it", they just got beat.

I can live with that.

After SB 36 people thought it a huge upset the 11-5 Patriots knocked off the Rams and it wasnt until the next year and then the following year that they showed it was no fluke, that the Patriots may have been 11-5, but starting from the time they were 5-5, they really were the best team.

Similarly i think i have been wrong about the Super Bowl. I thought the Patriots had no business losing to the Giants. The fact that the Giants caught their stride late in the season, that they had won all those road games in a row, that they had gone into Dallas and Green Bay and won, that the Patriots were playing so-so down the stretch, all that was lost in the pain of the loss.

But this year the Giants have shown they really were that good all along. They are the best team in football right now, they exposed many of the Patriots weaknesses in the SB, long before Brady went down in week one this year, and now I can almost take solace in the fact that on that day in Phoenix, the best team truly won.

the 2007 Giants were better than the 2007 Patriots, they deserved that championship, and the Patriots didnt "blow it", they just got beat.

I can live with that.

Great. Thanks for that swift kick in the groin.

The Giants earned it, but the Patriots still blew it. Our 4th quarter was embarrassing, it was pretty much all shotgun formation plays, telegraphing what we were doing the entire half. There is a link of every single play in that game. The number of plays in which we are in obvious passing plays is astounding, especially in the second half. It is very similar to Mike Martz stubbornly refusing to adjust from his Rams offense even though we were playing 5-6 DB's almost every play on defense in the 01 championship.

Last edited:
Don't fool yourself, they blew it just like the 2001 Rams did. Neither of those favorites had any place losing those games.

I still think the Pats were a better team than the Giants. But that said, the Giants were better than we thought, and we didn't blow the super bowl. The Giants one it, because they were a very good team who played a very good game. The best team doesn't always win, which is why sports is so darn fun.

For the winner anyway. For us it stunk like bum.

I can live with that.

Thank you, Professor. I guess last night's Giants' game was your first of the year??

Nice revisionist history by the way on the 2002 Pats. They were the definition of mediocre (well, slightly better: 9-7), and should not be compared with the 2008 Giants.

The Giants had a hell of a game. They are (and were) a good team, and used an effective, not-yet-seen-before defensive scheme to disrupt the Pats all day.

Also, I'll say removing Shockey from the lineup was the single best thing that could have ever happened to that team. They INSTANTLY became better without him.

It sucks that the Pats lost, but its not because they weren't ready to play. It was because the Giants had a really, really good game plan and the players to execute it.

Yup, Eli is still an adventure but retaining Spags and dumping that turd in the punch bowl TE (who is now wearing out his welcome in NO) proved to be turning points in their defense of title season. Now if Spags gets tapped as HC somewhere next season, not sure they will maintain going forward on talent alone. Coughlin needs to be something of a figurehead. If he gets too involved with the personalities things could still unravel.

I've never cared for Strahan but he stepped up huge last November after their debaucle in London and convinced an entire team to cover Eli's back, buy into Spags D and make peace with the tyrant for the greater good. And it worked. Then he walked away and said you can do this without me, and that worked too. They'd long been a talented team, just one that didn't really believe in itself or each other. I think week 17 was their real turning point where faith was concerned. Much like week 10 of 2001 was for us. Yeah, we stumbled in 2002 but that was because we lacked talent and the capacity to add it quickly enough in just the 3rd year of BB's rebuild. And our big guy (Milloy) by his own admission (and a few others) sat back and rested on his laurels (which is why he left in 2003).

Last edited:
the 2007 Giants were better than the 2007 Patriots

There's a big difference between playing a better quarter of football in the Super Bowl and actually being the overall better team.

I can live with that.

The Patriots beat the Giants in the Meadowlands. They would have won the Super Bowl if not for a non-call on what should have been in the grasp, dbs not holding on to game winning interceptions and a ridiculously lucky helmet catch. All this occurred after a hugely important part of the Patriots offensive line went down, along with the team's 3rd down back.

No, the Giants weren't a better team.

The worst thing about the Giants is that my friend and roomate is a Giant fan...

...and I had to watch the Super Bowl with him. Now he's bragging and crowing about them non-stop. I really hope we somehow make it to the Super Bowl, square off with them again, and this time they are beaten by Matt Cassel.

The worst thing about the Giants is that my friend and roomate is a Giant fan...

...and I had to watch the Super Bowl with him. Now he's bragging and crowing about them non-stop. I really hope we somehow make it to the Super Bowl, square off with them again, and this time they are beaten by Matt Cassel.

I can't wait for the next Super Bowl 42 thread. They are awesome. :mad:

I live 5 minutes from Giants Stadium, and my fiance is a Giant fan. I've heard "18-1" more times than you can possibly imagine. My response is 42 teams have won superbowls, but only one team was ever 18-0. It has been tough living here and hearing all the praise that gets tossed around here with regards to the Giants. Much of it is deserved, but I can't forget that all I heard and read last year in the NY/NJ area was that Coughlin was going to be run out of town faster than Eliot Spitzer or Jim McGreevey.

What if the Pats had lost in Baltimore that Monday night and rested everyone against the Giants, which would have made the Giants sit their starters. The Giants felt way too comfortable against us because we met a month prior, without that meeting, I'm not sure the result is the same.

But, I'd rather focus on the now and the new hope that Cassel & Co. have brought to us. A win on Thursday can turn us from nice story; to wait a second this team can truly contend and would hold the No. 2 seed in the AFC. It would certainly be nice to hear BB tell Mangini, "awesome game" again.

the giants need to play a real team b4 i call their season a no fluke...

beating a terrible eagles team, the boys with brad and 4 picks and the steelers who are overrated are not showings of a good team...

let me see the giants match up with the AFC's best, the titans and the pats, and then come back to me

I can live with that.

1) Season is barely 1/2 over - go take a peek at who they have played so far on their way to their "no fluke" 8-1 record (Rams,49ers, bengals, browns along with their divisonal opponents) Meh, while you can only play those on your schedule, it's still not impressive to me. I am not so sure they will fare so well down the stretch and as a matter of my opinion, I say they do NOT even win their division.

2) Were they the better team that day in Feb, sure, were they the better team in 2007 - NOPE.

3) I'd love to see them again, even without TB, we'd kill 'em.

I was thinking that last night as well. Something in the Giants clicked late last season, and it has carried over into this season. They're playing as a different team than they were through most of 2007. They are the best team in the NFL this season IMO, better than the Titans. The Giants are more balanced. If they were 4-5 at this point this year, then I could see the SB as an aberration. Now, it's only the greatest upset on paper, but the Giants have proven themselves better than their record indicated. It's especially impressive what they're doing without Strahan and Umenyiora.

I need to take another shower, I suddenly feel filthy.

We were legitimately beaten by the Giants. However, that doesn't change the fact that WE COMPLETELY BLEW IT.

I really feel the reason the Giants are doing good this year is because of when they won the SB last year they wanna prove it was no fluke, it's probaly better to evaluate them when the season ends and see how they do from there. They might be playing good now but are they pushing themselves to do better because of last season?

As for last year I feel the Patriots were the better team and should of won the SB. Maybe all the pressure of going undefeated got to them last year and the coaching wasnt the best. (Ex. when we went for it on 4th down in the 3rd quarter when it was like 4th and 11 I feel we should of went for the FG). The distractions from the media about the spygate was also a issue throughout the season. It can be tough because it just seemed like because of what the media was saying everyone hates the Patriots. Maybe there was some stress on the team with that. Not only that I feel the officiating favored the Giants bigtime. I mean that helps alot if the Giants get away with some calls while the Patriots being the superior undefeated team, maybe the mentality of the referees felt sorry for the Giants. Burress got away with a offensive PI penalty that wasnt called, and their OL did alot of holding in the game. not only that when the Giants had 12 men on the field, Belichick had to challenge that in order for that penalty to be called.

I would love to see a SB rematch this year. it would be a lot of fun. I really think the coaches will do a better job this year around and maybe they will focus more on just beating the Giants. I feel that if that happens Belichick will have the players more focused and I think it be a better result. But there's still a long way to go till then. just take things 1 game at a time.

... you've got to be kidding ... they played better on one fuxxxxxxx quarter ... the junior goober got a lucky break with 3 defensive players riding his arse ... the other ****** caught a ball that ... wellm let's just call it "s$it luck" catch...

now i need beer :enranged: ... thanks for ruining my day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots