PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

"The Colts are a clown show" (Gregg Doyal).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premeditated imbecility is in a different class altogether from Sanchez' ad lib slapstick.

I grew up in Baltimore. Johnny U was my hero, like most boys in the 50s and 60s. We all wore Johnny U flat top hair cuts.. The stadium sold out every week, and at one time was called the worlds largest outdoor insane asylum. And then Bob Irsay traded the LA Rams for the Colts with Rosenberger.....Bob's next 10 years really did drive the fan base insane, despite a short few years in the mid 70's of winning. It's good to know little Jimmy is continuing his fathers established tradition of driving the fan base crazy.

Yup. I am a little younger but in the same position. That whole family are losers.

The buttfumble happened because the clear starter lost his freakin' mind and ran up his lineman's ass.
The blown punt fake happened because a guy who wasn't supposed to have to be in on a play was forced into service.

Buttfumble is much worse (and much more fun to watch).

The buttfumble happened because the clear starter lost his freakin' mind and ran up his lineman's ass.
The blown punt fake happened because a guy who wasn't supposed to have to be in on a play was forced into service.

The fake punt was a formation designed by the coaching staff that had no chance to do anything other than end in embarrassment. Even if they don't snap the ball, it is absurd beyond belief.

Buttfumble was no different than a thousand other fumbles other than the juvenile aspect of the contact being someone's rear end.

The fake punt was a formation designed by the coaching staff that had no chance to do anything other than end in embarrassment. Even if they don't snap the ball, it is absurd beyond belief.

Buttfumble was no different than a thousand other fumbles other than the juvenile aspect of the contact being someone's rear end.

Guys, you're arguing over legends here, both incredible for their eras, amazing in different ways. It's like comparing Orr to Gretzky, or Russell to Jordan. They're great for different reasons and incredible on their own, unique and incomparable.

Both plays are legendary in their terrible own ways, both belong in a hall of shame in a wing dedicated to each. Arguing over which is worse is missing the incomparable incompetence in both. You're both right for equally compelling reasons.

Last edited:

The fake punt wasn't designed to be snapped. It wasn't supposed to be run. It was only run because of the injury. The irony of the Colts getting confused because of a play designed to confuse opponents is delicious but, again, it only went down that way because of an injury substitution.

That's sort of like "other than that, how was the play, Mrs. Lincoln".

wait...I agree but...WHICH "Buffumble"?...wait...I see. It really doesn't matter. In fact that Geno buffumble was so stupid it ended up in "Clowncar Hall Of Fame" U.S.A

Irsay isn't even in the same league (metaphorically) as Jerry Jones and Jerry Jones is about 15-20 years past his expiration date for usefulness.

I think "metaphorically" Irsay is in the same league as Al Davis..

I keep hearing about how Luck is a "franchise quarterback", maybe so, but that will never be evidenced in the Colts organization..

The fake punt wasn't designed to be snapped. It wasn't supposed to be run. It was only run because of the injury. The irony of the Colts getting confused because of a play designed to confuse opponents is delicious but, again, it only went down that way because of an injury substitution.

I agree, they've said they didn't intend to snap it. What was it designed to do? There's absolutely nothing that could come out of that formation that would benefit the Colts. Two guys alone over the ball, while the rest of the team is in punt formation by the sideline? They just look silly. The Pats aren't even going to burn a timeout when there's nothing threatening that can come from them snapping the ball.

Maybe old Al Davis, but the younger version was certainly better than Irsay could ever be.

II keep hearing about how Luck is a "franchise quarterback", maybe so, but that will never be evidenced in the Colts organization..
Luck is good enough to get wins, but even if you load up the offense, he'll still make some mental errors. Thus, they'll need to make sure they have a good defense as well. That's where Irsay and his team will fail. They are almost single-minded in their want to have fantasy-football-like team rather than a well balance team that self-diagnoses their weaknesses and mitigates them rather than focusing on making their strengths stronger in the hopes they will overcome opponents.

I keep hearing about how Luck is a "franchise quarterback", maybe so, but that will never be evidenced in the Colts organization..

Give Luck to Al Davis in his prime and the Raiders win Super Bowls.

I was no colts fan but i always hated irsey for moving the colts to indy and still do, it just wasn't right. I wish them only the worst.

Irsay was a tool, but I don't blame him one bit for leaving, given that the state was about to seize the team by eminent domain (he got out literally hours before it passed, IIRC).

In the end he is a professional troll, with limitied writing skills that has a voice (job) for reasons I'll never figure out, and is a walking turd.

Not to mention faking acting suicidal to gin up sympathy.

I grew up in Baltimore. Johnny U was my hero, like most boys in the 50s and 60s. We all wore Johnny U flat top hair cuts.. The stadium sold out every week, and at one time was called the worlds largest outdoor insane asylum. And then Bob Irsay traded the LA Rams for the Colts with Rosenberger.....Bob's next 10 years really did drive the fan base insane, despite a short few years in the mid 70's of winning. It's good to know little Jimmy is continuing his fathers established tradition of driving the fan base crazy.

In some ways, we (Pats fans) have to be thankful for Bob Irsay. His cheapness lead Ted Marchibroda to hire a 23 year old coach by the name of Bill Belichick, only because he could use him without having to pay him much (the Colts had one of the smallest coaching staff, even for the 70s).

Oh, I think you're selling it short. "The contact being someone's rear end" sounds like a defender knocked the ball out cheeks-first. It's the QB running face first into his own lineman that forms the framework of ineptitude which makes the slapstick so effective. A+.

The fake punt was a massive coaching failure enacted by players. (Not communicating the same message to all the players or even knowing which players had practiced a trick play -- really?)

There's no need to choose, I love all my children equally.

I agree, they've said they didn't intend to snap it. What was it designed to do? There's absolutely nothing that could come out of that formation that would benefit the Colts. Two guys alone over the ball, while the rest of the team is in punt formation by the sideline? They just look silly. The Pats aren't even going to burn a timeout when there's nothing threatening that can come from them snapping the ball.
The theory was:
Colts punt team runs towards their sideline.
Pats team think they're bringing on the offense. Start to switch too.
Colts suddenly stop in a legal formation. Pats have too many men on the field as they're in the middle of switching.
Colts hike the ball, drawing a flag or Pats call time out.
Win!
Of course the result was laughable but there's a workable idea in there. Teams do a quick switch from offense to punt units and vice versa a lot. If you can catch the D in a fake out its a free first down. But if they don't bite you just take the penalty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back