PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 300lb "What If" in the corner of the room

Status
Not open for further replies.
That doesn't mean I think that Maroney is chopped liver. He is a good back, just not as good as Addai.

Exactly! It's not that I think LoMo is garbage... i just dont think he is as good as Addai.

The other thing you have to look at is that Addai was injury prone in college at LSU. Sure he is doing well now and holding up, but I think with it all laid out LM looked like the better choice.

Put it this way. If Maroney was a Colt..he would be dominating right now. And im sure of it. If a guy like Keith is doing just as well as Addai..its clearly THE SYSTEM and not the player

reason why Colts werent so worried when James left.

Last edited:
Based on the limited body of knowledge/trends we DO have (1.5years) and assuming they continue unchanged, Addai has been the better back since the draft and will continue to be. He hits holes harder, is more decisive when he runs, cuts better, has shown better hands, and is more versitile, not to mention durable. This could change, but based on the available evidence, it is true.

PS I love the Pats, I am just being objective.

Addai has been the more productive back to this point. That is no proof that he will continue to be the more productive back going forward. That leap of logic is not at all obvious, nor do I agree with it, having evaluated these two players closely. There are numerous reasons to believe the contrary.

1) Addai has benefited from the nature of the Colts passing game, which has been historic and allowed the rb to face diminished fronts. Going forward, the Indy offense may begin to slow down. The reasons are a) Harrison is 35 and has sustained a possible chronic knee injury. b) Gonzalez is currently injured with a lingering hand problem and has not shown himself to be a star c) the LT position has been weakened by the retirement of Glenn and Ugoh was not an elite pass protector even before his injury d) the Colts have to either franchise or resign Bob Sanders and/or Dallas Clark. It is unlikely they will resign both. If they choose Sanders, that will also hurt the passing game. These factors suggest that going forward the Colt passing game may not sustain its old levels which will affect their opponents' defensive game plans and adversely affect the Colt running game. Conversely, the Pats passing game, provided Moss resigns, looks to be emerging into its prime, and should sustain itself over the next few years. This should allow Maroney to face diminished fronts going forward, as Addai has in the past.

2) Addai was an all-purpose back at LSU, a receiving threat when Alley Broussard was the lead back. Maroney was not used in the passing game at Minnesota. Thus, Addai entered the NFL as ready product in the passing game. Maroney was a younger more raw player. Still, Maroney has demonstrated dynamic receving skills when given the opportunity vs. GB last season (TD), vs Chicago and vs. Washignton this season. This is a skill set the Pats will exploit more as Maroney becomes more seasoned. He is catching up with Addai in this respect.

3) I respect Addai's tremendous heart and fearless play. But he has a tendency to take enormous hits. An example is the first play of the season, when NO almost knocked him out for the year. Then he missed a game this season with another back/shoulder injury vs TB. IMO the Colts have begun to rely on Addai as their passing game has become less effective, and I expect him to take a beating over the rest of the schedule, vs defenses like Jacksonville, Tennessee, Houston the rest of the way and going forward in his career. In college I watched him many times and he has a tendency to take enormous blows. Addai has already won a SB for the Colts, and more than earned the respect of football fans nation wide. But IMO he will have a relatively short career defined by toughness and heart. In contrast, I believe Maroney, a younger player by 2 years, has been brought along slowly by BB out of respect for his enormous potential. He has been careful not to overuse him before MAroney reaches his physical prime. Maroney is a very smart player, developing physically and mentally, whereas Addai is a finished product.

With these factors in mind, I believe Maroney will be the more productive player going forward.

Last edited:
The Texans even had Maroney rated above Reggie Bush, which is why they didn't see taking Mario Williams as controversial.

No need to get your panties in a bunch. I have been watching the Patriots games and what I saw was Maroney dancing around too much before hitting the hole. Addai is much more decisive and quick in hitting the hole and making his cuts. Hell before he got hurt, Sammy Morris at times looked BETTER running the football in our zone blocking scheme than Maroney.

And I'm sorry but at this point calling Maroney as good as LT or AP is pure homerism. I'll agree with your last statement though. RB is not a NEED. Maroney is a pretty good back. It's just that McFadden could be a GREAT back and thus an upgrade to the position. I am a big proponent of the BPA drafting strategy.

who says Maroney cant be that good? How about u watch a ******* game this year or watch Maroney before u make comments on him. the hitting the hole thing is so last year. hes running well..4.7 ypc is just as good as Addai with a system not as good as theirs yet in terms of running.

hes played well..theres no need for another RB unless we plan on using 2 of them which we already do with Maroney-Morris

Im sure BB after 2 seasons will say "Maroney hasnt gotten me 1000yards because hes been hurt a bit and because were a pass first team"

only reason we would take McFadden is because "best player available" not a need

Re: The 300lb Draft Blunder in the corner of the room

1. It's been 1.5 years.
2. The Colts supposedly wanted Maroney as well.
3. They play completely different roles in completely different teams.
4. It's not like Maroney has been a bust.
5. Hindsight is a very bad way to look at any draft. We took Bethel Johnson over Anquan Boldin too, so why don't you give us a topic on that?

Good points and it's still early for LM. It took Larry Johnson awhile to earn the starting role in KC.

1. Injuries are a part of football. So far, Addai has proven to be the more sturdy back.
3. I was under the impression that both Maroney and Addai ran "running plays". If you're referring to "catch-and-run plays" then, okay...but we have a RB on the roster that handles those.
4. Maroney is more tentative this year (when healthy) hitting the holes. I've seen more dancing behind the line this year than last. And he hasn't laid a good stiff-arm (supposedly one of his strengths) this year (again, when healthy).
5. Still, your original point about not evaluating Drafts in hindsight doesn't make any sense. We all look at past events in hindsight.

Where did you get this impression? Other than the first two games of the year (where BB said specifically that they had coached LM to run more patiently against the 3-4 defenses) Maroney hasn't danced much at all. Frankly, he looked excellent in the Buffalo game, the Washington game and the Indy game.

I like Morris and am disappointed that he is gone, but he ran against two pitiful run defenses. I can assure you that Maroney would have gone over 100 against Cleveland and Cincy too.

As far as health, does anyone really find it surprising that a guy who consistently faced 8 in the box his first season was hurt more than a guy who consistently faced 6?

So far Addai has been the better back. He accelerates quickly and has a beautiful jump-step cut. But Maroney is hardly a bust.

Is it now safe to say that we took the wrong RB last year? Does anyone wonder why BB and co. had Maroney rated higher than Joe Addai?

Imagine how much MORE ridiculous this offense would be right now with Addai in our backfield? :mad:

Don’t get me wrong... LM has shown some flashes, but if im being honest with myself, I have to admit that Addai looks to be the MUCH better back.

I know the YPC are similar and LM has missed allot of time with injuries, but im just going by what my eyes tell me.

Thoughts??

Addai has "looked" better to this point, but we need to keep a few things in perspective. That Indy offense has made a lot of RB's look great, and some of those RB's have moved on to other teams, where they haven't been half the RB. Really, they've developed somewhat of a Denver complex, as almost any RB looks at least somewhat decent in their system, and good RB's look great.

When it comes to NE's rating Maroney higher:
Well, it's well known the Colts also rated Maroney higher, but NE pulled the trigger before the Colts had a chance, and it's also known that Mike Shanahan loves Maroney.

If you watched Maroney run in college you would have seen quite a nice back, and if you've watched him the past few games you'll notice some pretty good runs. Watch his runs & receptions against the redskins, and his runs against the colts, he's showing signs of damn good ability. He's been running with power, speed, and balance.

NE needs to develope his receiving ability more to fully realize his potential, and frankly I'd like to see what he can do with more carries. Some people seem to forget a lot of yards RB's tend to rack up come toward the end of the game, when the defense is tired. I'd like to see what He can do in those situations, a little more.

Also, Addai had his injury bugs in college, hopefully Maroney's now put his injury bugs behind him, as well.

The kool aid brigade has been on my ass for months over this issue.

Facts

Maroney missed several games last year and was banged up.

Maroney is ALWAYS nicked up

Maroney had major off season surgery in his rookie year

Maroney has missed 4 games this year , and since he has been back he has a nice ypc but plays far to little snaps.

This is why I give you a hard time Danny.

Since when is missing 2 games considered "several"?

Maroney doesn't seem to be nicked up right now, which isn't "always".

Bankart surgary isn't a major surgery for NFL players, and is somewhat common in football. You'd know this if you were actually involved in the sport.

Maroney's missed three games, not four this season.

btw whats with all the "hands"..he hasnt dropped a ball last year

because he doesnt get the receptions doesnt mean he doesnt have good hands.

..just hasnt been able to showcase

Oh yeah ? Well I had Lawson and Greg Jennings in my mock so there :D

I really wanted Lawson. But I'm good with Maroney.

I didn't think they would draft Lawson. Considering he's out for the year with an ACL, I wouldn't consider him more durable or a better pick than Maroney either.

Is it now safe to say that we took the wrong RB last year? Does anyone wonder why BB and co. had Maroney rated higher than Joe Addai?

Imagine how much MORE ridiculous this offense would be right now with Addai in our backfield? :mad:

Don’t get me wrong... LM has shown some flashes, but if im being honest with myself, I have to admit that Addai looks to be the MUCH better back.

I know the YPC are similar and LM has missed allot of time with injuries, but im just going by what my eyes tell me.

Thoughts??

I agree that right now Addai looks like the better back. Could change, but anyone who says Maroney has been better (when he's been healthy) is nuts.

I agree that right now Addai looks like the better back. Could change, but anyone who says Maroney has been better (when he's been healthy) is nuts.

No, anyone who says Maroney's been equal to or better than Addai is opining based upon their judgment of two players in different systems. Those people have statistics to back up their point, whether you like it or not.

Bro these are all excuses. I look at performance. I dont care who says what. If only this , if only that!!!

Maroney has been hurt a lot. Maroney does not have a single td nine games into 07. When was the last time he had a td?

We are VERY FAR ahead of pace to break the all-time TD record. Who gives a crap what player is scoring them?
If you have been paying attention, we throw the ball in, and in goalline sitautions we have tended to use Morris before he was hurt, or Evans, a short yardage runner in those situations.

Btw there is something to to Maroney having no td's. An explosive runner with big speed should have at least a few rushing td's in which he got into the secondary and blasted off a huge run.

Keep chugging that kool aid. Then at the end of the year when Maroney vastly underperforms you can make more excuses.

I'm okay with you having an opinion, but do you have to be such a prick about it? Do you need validation for having a contrarian perspective?

I don't get the motive.

Addai has "looked" better to this point, but we need to keep a few things in perspective. That Indy offense has made a lot of RB's look great, and some of those RB's have moved on to other teams, where they haven't been half the RB. Really, they've developed somewhat of a Denver complex, as almost any RB looks at least somewhat decent in their system, and good RB's look great.

When it comes to NE's rating Maroney higher:
Well, it's well known the Colts also rated Maroney higher, but NE pulled the trigger before the Colts had a chance, and it's also known that Mike Shanahan loves Maroney.

If you watched Maroney run in college you would have seen quite a nice back, and if you've watched him the past few games you'll notice some pretty good runs. Watch his runs & receptions against the redskins, and his runs against the colts, he's showing signs of damn good ability. He's been running with power, speed, and balance.

NE needs to develope his receiving ability more to fully realize his potential, and frankly I'd like to see what he can do with more carries. Some people seem to forget a lot of yards RB's tend to rack up come toward the end of the game, when the defense is tired. I'd like to see what He can do in those situations, a little more.

Also, Addai had his injury bugs in college, hopefully Maroney's now put his injury bugs behind him, as well.

**How do we know the Colts had Maroney graded higher??
**What was it Simms and Nantz spoke of on Sunday?? That the Colts actually had Addai as their guy?? Whom to believe?
**What Colts backs have looked good for the Colts, but bad elsewhere? Are we talking Dungy era??
**Why not give credit where credit is due?
**Comparing Indy's "system" to Denver?? Nice complement, I suppose, but it's not like a revolving door here.

I don't get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore