PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The $2M Solution At WR

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
We could bring in 2 WR's at $5M AAV and $10 AAV for a total cap cost of $8.5M. We would cut Sanu so the total cap cost would be $2M. I listed the AAV's at $5M and $10M. They could be higher without affecting the 2020 cap.

Belichick might spend a bit more, but this seems in the ballpark.

PLAYER 1 (3/$30M) - CAP HIT $5M
salaries: $2M, $9M, $10M
bonus: $9M/3 yr
adding or subtracting from 2021 and 2022 salaries would not affect the 2020 cap

PLAYER 2 (3/$15M) - CAP $3.5M
salaries: $2M, $4M, $4.5M
bonus: $4.5M/3 yr

Eh..... But who precisely?

I wouldn't guess at who will be available, who would fit in to our offense, and how Belichick values the various players.

My point is that the cap does NOT greatly limit us signing a couple of WR's.

I wouldn't guess at who will be available, who would fit in to our offense, and how Belichick values the various players.

My point is that the cap does NOT greatly limit us signing a couple of WR's.
Isn’t the “who” part kind of important here?

They signed a bunch of "player 1" and "player 2"s at ...wr last yr... didn't work so well.. Ellington, Thomas, Inman and a couple other JAG vets...we hardly knew ye

They signed a bunch of "player 1" and "player 2"s at ...wr last yr... didn't work so well.. Ellington, Thomas, Inman...we hardly knew ye

So, you don't think that a budget of $5M and $10M isn't enough? BTW, how much did Ellington and Thomas and Inman make? Which was the $10M AAV player?

As I said, add more to the 2020 salaries and the 2020 cap hit is still $2M. We could offer $7M AAV and $12 AAV. Are you really of the opinion that Belichick is simply incapable of signing a WR?

In any case, my point is the cap is NOT the constraint.

They signed a bunch of "player 1" and "player 2"s at ...wr last yr... didn't work so well.. Ellington, Thomas, Inman and a couple other JAG vets...we hardly knew ye
Yeah, but those guys weren’t costing 10 and 5 million AAV. His point is that we can see talent improvement and how it may be more affordable than we realize.

Yeah, but those guys weren’t costing 10 and 5 million AAV. His point is that we can see talent improvement and how it may be more affordable than we realize.
Look at the FA WR list...tell me who is worth betw 5M and 10M? Green, Sanderz, Cooper aren't playing for that $...the rest of the list is vet min guys and Jag city (other than old Amendola, whom I'd pay $5M)

Look at the FA WR list...tell me who is worth betw 5M and 10M? Green, Sanderz, Cooper aren't playing for that $...the rest of the list is vet min guys and Jag city (other than old Amendola, whom I'd pay $5M)
They always explore everything, so a trade or two is possible.

I appreciate this approach to solving the puzzle; look at the potential cap availability, then look at the players, rather than the other way around. Why not?

Isn’t the “who” part kind of important here?

Wont some wr's be released from teams wishing to make space themselves ?

My guess is Bill does what he's done many times at the "exterior" skill positions (WR, CB) - bring in a bunch of jags, sign a guy or guys with issues (ex: Brown, C Johnson, Gordon, Lloyd), draft a couple guys, sign some undrafted FS, throw schitt against the wall, and see what sticks. Because after all, even after everyone's hand wringing about last year (mine included) A.) if Kraft didn't bow to the mob and dump Brown, B.) they kept D Thomas, C.) Gordon didn't start doing pregame bong hits and acting like Tony Montana on a 48 hour bender, or some combination of A, B, and C....the Pats were likely 13-3 and hosting a division round game and playing in the AFC title game...

So, I believe that you are saying that you wouldn't pay the market value for WR's. Or, are you saying something different?

So, you don't think that a budget of $5M and $10M isn't enough? BTW, how much did Ellington and Thomas and Inman make? Which was the $10M AAV player?

As I said, add more to the 2020 salaries and the 2020 cap hit is still $2M. We could offer $7M AAV and $12 AAV. Are you really of the opinion that Belichick is simply incapable of signing a WR?

In any case, my point is the cap is NOT the constraint.

It's fine to have a theory. You have to be able to make that theory applicable, though. I know people have already addressed this, but it's an essential part of the theory's pendant equation. Who can you get for that?

2020 NFL Free Agents: Wide Receivers

Can we build our own player like in Madden? I’d build a 7’6” white guy with 4.1 speed.

We could bring in 2 WR's at $5M AAV and $10 AAV for a total cap cost of $8.5M. We would cut Sanu so the total cap cost would be $2M. I listed the AAV's at $5M and $10M. They could be higher without affecting the 2020 cap.

Belichick might spend a bit more, but this seems in the ballpark.

PLAYER 1 (3/$30M) - CAP HIT $5M
salaries: $2M, $9M, $10M
bonus: $9M/3 yr

PLAYER 2 (3/$15M) - CAP $3.5M
salaries: $2M, $4M, $4.5M
bonus: $4.5M/3 yr

This violates the 30% rule of the CBA; therefore, not gonna happen.

First, I expect a new agreement to be signed before the season starts.

Second, I believe that the 30% rule applies to extensions and restructures of existing contracts.

This violates the 30% rule of the CBA; therefore, not gonna happen.

So, I believe that you are saying that you wouldn't pay the market value for WR's. Or, are you saying something different?
I'm saying there's no one worth paying $5M-10M/year on the free agent list - in other words, anyone who gets paid $5M-10M on the from the list of 2020 FA isn't worth it - outside of Green, Sanders, Cooper taking way below their "market" value...if you want to pay Tavon Austin or Agholor $5m-$10M, knock yourself out....

If a $6 million player (Sanu) couldn’t create separation, what does $5 mill buy?

Injury riddled and can’t create separation?

I prefer the $9 million lunatic/danger to society category

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye