PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2020 Super Bowl pregame thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
1611705145373.jpeg

I do wonder about the KC DBs. They are all pretty good, but there isn't a single match that really favors them one v one. For instance

Charvarius Ward has a PPF grade the last 2 years of 69.5(2019) and 64.8 (2020)
Breeland grades 48.3 and 67.7
Fenton grades 74.1 and 70.4 (but he faces #3 WRs... also a 2nd year player btw)

As for safeties

Mathieu grades 75.3 and 64.1
Sorensen grades 61.0 and 50.1
Thornhill grades 71.5 and 52.8 (sophomore slump maybe?)

From the little I've seen, I find these grades reasonably accurate.

While they have faced some good passing offenses, i don't feel like they've been tested yet on the right day by one. They played the Texans but that was week 1 and I hate to use that as any kind of data point. They played the Bills twice, but I don't think the Bills seemed ready to go in either game and couldn't hold it together. In the first one they just got run on all day. (46 rushes for 245 yards) and just couldn't get it together. In the AFC they got a huge break but couldn't keep the momentum, it was almost like they were happy to be there. Taking a FG instead of going for it to end the half... It seemed like plays were there to be made, but they just couldn't figure it out and get out of their own way. Something about the Bills playing KC just gives them the shakes perhaps? I don't know.

KC just feels like a team with DBs who have managed to not get caught by a good passing offense that finally clicks against them. Could be wrong. It isn't that they are bad. But no one on their team can man WRs like Evans or Godwin. Certainly their LBs vs TEs are a bad match up. It just feels like this defense has been a little fortunate this year compared to the talent they have. I could be wrong.

The Chiefs are starting Mike Remmers at Left Tackle. He was Carolina’s LT in SB50 and is infamous for getting annihilated by Von Miller.
He played RT in SB 50, and yes, Miller beat him like a rented mule. Even Remmers acknowledges it.

Mike Remmers on SB: 'I'll be kicking myself' forever
Von Miller won Super Bowl MVP by burning Remmers off the edge, time and time again. Both of Miller's game-changing strip sacks came by blowing by Remmers. Pro Football Focus even graded Remmers by far the worst Panthers player on the field during the Super Bowl, giving the blocker a -7.7 rating -- 4.2 worse than the closest teammate.

He hasn’t played LT since 2016 when he had 11 penalties (one less than he committed in 2015). Of course, his QB was Cam so he had to hold off pass rushers for 5-6 seconds while Cam tried to decide what to do. He'll be going against JPP who returned to Pro Bowl form this year.

He played RT in SB 50, and yes, Miller beat him like a rented mule. Even Remmers acknowledges it.

Mike Remmers on SB: 'I'll be kicking myself' forever

He hasn’t played LT since 2016 when he had 11 penalties (one less than he committed in 2015). Of course, his QB was Cam so he had to hold off pass rushers for 5-6 seconds while Cam tried to decide what to do. He'll be going against JPP who returned to Pro Bowl form this year.

Also forces them to rotate their right guard, Wylie, to right tackle, and he’ll be taking on Shaq Barrett. And, of course, it downgrades their interior protection against Vea and Suh. That’s a really bad injury for KC.

All these two weeks we will hear mahomey this and mahomey that. It’s insufferable. I can’t stand his fiancee, his momma, and kid brother. I can’t stand anything about that chiefs team. A blowout would be nice just to let everyone know who the damn goat is! My thing is where’s the competition in the afc right now? Brady early had to deal with forehead manning.

The only thing I like about the Chiefs team is Andy Reid and Mathieu.. the rest are all very unlikeable

Mahomes isn't bad, but by proxy his obnoxious wife and helicopter mom really drain his "machismo"

One of these things is not like the other:

I do wonder about the KC DBs. They are all pretty good, but there isn't a single match that really favors them one v one. For instance

Charvarius Ward has a PPF grade the last 2 years of 69.5(2019) and 64.8 (2020)
Breeland grades 48.3 and 67.7
Fenton grades 74.1 and 70.4 (but he faces #3 WRs... also a 2nd year player btw)

As for safeties

Mathieu grades 75.3 and 64.1
Sorensen grades 61.0 and 50.1
Thornhill grades 71.5 and 52.8 (sophomore slump maybe?)

From the little I've seen, I find these grades reasonably accurate.

While they have faced some good passing offenses, i don't feel like they've been tested yet on the right day by one. They played the Texans but that was week 1 and I hate to use that as any kind of data point. They played the Bills twice, but I don't think the Bills seemed ready to go in either game and couldn't hold it together. In the first one they just got run on all day. (46 rushes for 245 yards) and just couldn't get it together. In the AFC they got a huge break but couldn't keep the momentum, it was almost like they were happy to be there. Taking a FG instead of going for it to end the half... It seemed like plays were there to be made, but they just couldn't figure it out and get out of their own way. Something about the Bills playing KC just gives them the shakes perhaps? I don't know.

KC just feels like a team with DBs who have managed to not get caught by a good passing offense that finally clicks against them. Could be wrong. It isn't that they are bad. But no one on their team can man WRs like Evans or Godwin. Certainly their LBs vs TEs are a bad match up. It just feels like this defense has been a little fortunate this year compared to the talent they have. I could be wrong.

So how has KC been able to defend the passing game so well? Someone else mentioned that they tend to get away with a lot of holding, grabbing, etc.

They don't have anyone in that secondary with sub-4.4 speed,. so Scotty Miller might come in handy. The Bucs have Dean who has 4.3 speed (might want to have him cover Hill rather than Davis who got burned for the 75 yarder in their regular season meeting).

If I have learned anything about football in the last 20 years, it's to not bet against Thomas Brady. My Brain tells me Mahomes and his cast is better than Brady and his. Ried is a better coach. KC has rolled all year. Hill is unbelievable. Kelce is Gronk 6 years ago. All the tangibles say KC.

Brady finds a way.
Not always..... he couldn’t turn 18-0 into 19-0

hes just lucky he didn’t have to play the giants in the playoffs

The only thing I like about the Chiefs team is Andy Reid and Mathieu.. the rest are all very unlikeable

Mahomes isn't bad, but by proxy his obnoxious wife and helicopter mom really drain his "machismo"
The Bucs have Suh and Antonio Brown......you were saying? Gronk isn’t any more likeable than Kelce.

Giselle not obnoxious? Nothing is more stupid looking than her doing selfie videos screaming about sb win....really emphasizes the self

I put a future bet on Pats and Tampa winning SB next year.

Maybe BB takes advantage of all the teams in cap hell next year when it drops, quickly puts together a championship roster and then has a showdown in the Super Bowl.. the defensive mastermind takes on his apprentice quarterback for the Lombardi!

A $1 bet for the Patriots right now would probably net you like 10 trillion dollars

The Bucs have Suh and Antonio Brown......you were saying? Gronk isn’t any more likeable than Kelce.

I can forgive all kinds of atrocities when Brady is playing for the team!

I'll see you one headcase (AB) and raise you a child abuser who choked a pregnant woman (Hill).

Where do they get the stats for this? Like to see the list.

I saw it on Twitter...I think it’s ESPN.

Some Chiefs fans commented on it and indicated the Chiefs play a bend don’t break defense that limits deep plays. That makes sense, if true, and can explain those two different tales of the secondary. The Raiders scored 31 and 40 on them though and had a lot of huge plays downfield.

Some Chiefs fans commented on it and indicated the Chiefs play a bend don’t break defense that limits deep plays. That makes sense, if true, and can explain those two different tales of the secondary. The Raiders scored 31 and 40 on them though and had a lot of huge plays downfield.
That would be good if BB was the coach in Tampa. Arians will keep chucking it deep rather than taking the easy underneath stuff that will be open. I'm less optimistic now. Smells like at least two more picks for Tom.

Thinking about this some more...they have the worst Red Zone defense, so it's almost like they rely on drives stalling to limit scoring. The Pats with TB would have annihilated a D like that, but Arians and Leftwich don't appear to be up to the task here.

Their only hope is that the Chiefs O-Line gets wrecked so badly that it's a low scoring game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST