PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2017 Mock Draft Thread

Very early mock for me. Only 4 rounds, i havent seen enough prospects yet, and without trades.

1 Desmond King CB
2 Tarrell Basham DE
3 Tyus Bowser LB
3 Kareem Hunt RB
4 Eddie Jackson S

If we can get away with that i'd be ecstatic.

I dont think you'll get Bowser in the 3rd but Bowser and Basham are two of my faves so I'd be ecstatic too.

64. Sidney Jones, CB, Washington.
It would be nice to be at 64:)
Sidney Jones (CB, Washington) 6-Tape Analysis! • r/NFL_Draft
While he had the reputation of a phenomenal shutdown corner, I actually found quite a few fundamental flaws in Jones' man and press-coverage snaps, especially on receiving routes with multiple sharp cuts. I found myself really wanting Jones to break quicker on sharp cuts, as there was a lot of wasted footwork and lost ground on some snaps that the QB just didn't take advantage of. He also doesn't strike me as the strongest defensive back, as he was sometimes blown back on blocks or stiff-arms and tried to hurry and recover back to his spot. I somewhat question Jones' ability to hang with the Antonio Browns and TY Hiltons of the NFL if he's asked to do so in press.

The best aspect of Jones' game, by far, is his willingness and ability to stop the run. Time and time again, Jones showed the ability to mirror his receiver until correctly reading run and bore downhill with impressive speed to disrupt the play. I would've liked to see him sharpen his angles a bit more, since he did fly in pretty quickly sometimes and miss the tackle, but he overall did pretty awesome against the run.

The best aspect of Jones' game, by far, is his willingness and ability to stop the run.

A very underrated part of being a Patriots DB.

That must be from an old mock of mine though. I've not thought about him being available at 61 for a long time.

A very underrated part of being a Patriots DB.

That must be from an old mock of mine though. I've not thought about him being available at 61 for a long time.
Yes that was my thought . Willingness to stop the run.

I have time today so i am checking old mocks:)

I dont think you'll get Bowser in the 3rd but Bowser and Basham are two of my faves so I'd be ecstatic too.

Can you tell me which tape have you watched on Bowser to get such impression? I mean full game outtakes tape. The one that I watched he was a non factor and simply didn't look like a football player. I know its still early for him but there's a ? will he ever become one..

Last edited:
Thats true, i had him at 64 at first but i dont really like any edge player later on so i had to squeeze someone at 64, and maybe Basham is not there either.
Thats why a Jimmy trade is key here as it would open a lot of possibilities.

Can you tell me which tape have you watched on Bowser to get such impression? I mean full game outtakes tape. The one that I watched he was a non factor and simply didn't look like a football player. I know its still early for him but there's a clear ? will he ever become one..

Just the two at Draft Breakdown.

Tyus Bowser | Draft Breakdown

Some projection going on but he's clearly very athletic/explosive and can cover. I see him very much as a Jamie Collins type.

Just the two at Draft Breakdown.

Tyus Bowser | Draft Breakdown

Some projection going on but he's clearly very athletic/explosive and can cover. I see him very much as a Jamie Collins type.

Thanks. I think I saw the 2016 one. Would like to see more. Hopefully they add.
Very athletic I understand - but the ? is can/will he be an NFL football player..

Garoppolo to Browns for #12
Pats trade #12 to Tenn for #18 and #69

#18- Zach Cunningham, LB, Vanderbilt
#32- Chris Wormley, DE/DT, Michigan
#64- Evan Engram, TE, Ole Miss
#69- Tarell Basham, DE, Ohio
#96- Dalvin Tomlinson, DT, Alabama
Cle. Comp- Julie'n Davenport, OT, Bucknell
4th(Sea)- Rayshawn Jenkins, S, Miami

Thanks. I think I saw the 2016 one. Would like to see more. Hopefully they add.
Very athletic I understand - but the ? is can/will he be an NFL football player..

I was just about to add that whilst I think he could be Jamie Collins, he could also end up being Marcus Smith. That's where the interviews come in.

Can you tell me which tape have you watched on Bowser to get such impression? I mean full game outtakes tape. The one that I watched he was a non factor and simply didn't look like a football player. I know its still early for him but there's a ? will he ever become one..

His stock skyrocketed in the post season. He looked good in the bowl, and word is that he'll test off the charts. I don't know if he's a great football player, but he's ascending as a prospect right now. Who knows if that amounts to anything.

Overall, I like this a lot. I'm not a fan of Cunningham at all, however, so that hurts to see in the 1st. Still, I like most of the players, and the overall philosophy. Nice job.

I would love this draft. Great effort.

FanSpeak Simulator

32: R1P32
LB ZACH CUNNINGHAM
VANDERBILT

64: R2P32
TE EVAN ENGRAM
OLE MISS

96: R3P32
EDGE TARRELL BASHAM
OHIO

103: R3P39
OT JULIE'N DAVENPORT
BUCKNELL

130: R4P25
EDGE DUWUANE SMOOT
ILLINOIS

164: R5P19
RB ELIJAH HOOD
NORTH CAROLINA

183: R5P38
WR STACY COLEY
MIAMI (FL)

242: R7P21
K JAKE ELLIOTT
MEMPHIS
(Bill replaced Adam when he was 33 and had an 80% accuracy, Ghost will be 33 and was just 84% and now the XP are a concern 2 straight years he's missed XP in big games 1 cost the Pats and he was bailed out the other time. Maybe if he was on small money but he's highest paid kicker in cap hit and average and due to make $3m in actual cash this year and next. $1.5m saved this year and $3.5m saved in '18)

This is the first simulator I can remember in recent years which was mostly in-line with my non-simulator mock. Usually it's vastly different.

Last edited:
FanSpeak Simulator

32: R1P32
LB ZACH CUNNINGHAM
VANDERBILT

64: R2P32
TE EVAN ENGRAM
OLE MISS

96: R3P32
EDGE TARRELL BASHAM
OHIO

103: R3P39
OT JULIE'N DAVENPORT
BUCKNELL

130: R4P25
EDGE DUWUANE SMOOT
ILLINOIS

164: R5P19
RB ELIJAH HOOD
NORTH CAROLINA

183: R5P38
WR STACY COLEY
MIAMI (FL)

242: R7P21
K JAKE ELLIOTT
MEMPHIS
(Bill replaced Adam when he was 33 and had an 80% accuracy, Ghost will be 33 and was just 84% and now the XP are a concern 2 straight years he's missed XP in big games 1 cost the Pats and he was bailed out the other time. Maybe if he was on small money but he's highest paid kicker in cap hit and average and due to make $3m in actual cash this year and next. $1.5m saved this year and $3.5m saved in '18)

This is the first simulator I can remember in recent years which was mostly in-line with my non-simulator mock. Usually it's vastly different.

I had a kicker in one of my mocks. I wouldn't rule out bringing in some competition for him.

Ghost is and will be ok. That doesn't mean TC competition is out of the q.

Here some possible context to his struggles:

Ghost is and will be ok. That doesn't mean TC competition is out of the q.

Here some possible context to his struggles:

I don't know if the turf caused his problem or not, but my thought all year is that the missed extra point in the afc championship game last year in Denver has left major damage to his confidence and he has not gotten over it. Never seen him look as scared and unsure of himself as I saw this year.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back