PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2017 Mock Draft Thread

I don't know if the turf caused his problem or not, but my thought all year is that the missed extra point in the afc championship game last year in Denver has left major damage to his confidence and he has not gotten over it. Never seen him look as scared and unsure of himself as I saw this year.

Sorry but I don't see it. Yes it's a convenient narrative but he had an entire offseason to get over it. Furthermore he had no issues at all in the first game in Arizona, making multiple difficult FGs and getting ST player of the week honors.

His issues really started in that 3 game home stretch W2-W4. Now, after those games I agree that his confidence might have been effected but I disagree with connecting it back to Denver.

Time for the All-Dull draft board.

This is, by no means, what I think the team will do, what I want the team to do, or where necessarily they will find in each round. It's just a slightly basic way that the team will typically look at certain rounds of the draft, and coming up with a player that best meshes with the basic requirements of the position and round. Also, just because a player is on here doesn't mean he isn't a good player, or a player I don't like. Just probably not the most exciting player available

No JimmyG trade here, that would be too much fun.

32 Jourdan Lewis
he's actually been a personal favourite of a lot of people here, and with good reason. Elite coverage skills and ability to mirror, both on the perimeter and inside. Pats won't be scared off by his height, but will be pulled towards him for his professional coaching he received, positional versatility and elite 3 cone and leaping ability.

64 Dalvin Tomlinson
Interior d-line is always a position the Pats will feel comfortable drafting early, especially from a program they trust. He is probably the least known defender in Bama's front 7, but his ability to do everything inside will make him very appealing. He has great length and size, great strength, and an impressive wrestling career and life of perseverance to get to this point.

96 Daeshon Hall
Edge guys over 6'5 and 260 don't grow on trees, but they are what the Pats look for every time. He has the strength and power to play the edge and hold up in the run game. He has a lot of experience doing all the dirty work and seeing a lot of action given his counter part on the other edge. Pats will like him for his length, games started, ability to slide inside, and big conference competition.

103 Chad Wheeler
Not a great tackle draft, but a need is a need. I have wheeler in every one of my mocks because he seems like such an obvious Patriot style pick. Not the strongest guy for a tackle, but has great feet and movement skills. Not a powerful run blocker, but can get to the second level, which is what is needed in our blocking style. Pats will like him for all of those reasons, his pro style system and length he started for, in a major conference.

135 James Conner
Running back is a need, and power back especially could be very important. Conner has been on the radar for awhile, but the cancer diagnosis could have ended his career. Instead, he came back and returned to pummelling linebackers at the goal line. The pats will love him for perseverence, his toughness, leadership, and character.

155 George Kittle
Tight end is always a need in every draft for the Pats since BB is always searching for a new toy. Kittle isn't the most athletic, the biggest or strongest, but his toughness is his bread and butter. He can block, slip out for big gains and always in the middle of it. He's a favourite of his teammates and fans. Pats will love him for his versatility blocking, toughness, who coached him, level of competition and playing through injuries.

182 Harvey Langi
Not a popular name, but I think could be an interesting later round linebacker. He has great size and decent movement skills for the position. He could provide some real versatility as a run stopper, but possibly being able to stay on the field for passing downs and special teams. At this point, you are looking for players who can get on the field in some capacity from day 1. Langi isn't a star and never will be, but could give something in certain situations and provide some necessary depth.

242 James Onwualu
Back to another common name for me. Has played just about every position imaginable for someone his size (RB WR CB S LB) and has been a team and coaches favourite at Notre Dame. Being a special teams ace helps his cause and being a team captain does as well. Another special teamer with upside, another big program, another versatile defender, and another team captain.

Ho Hum

This is, by no means, what I think the team will do, what I want the team to do, or where necessarily they will find in each round. It's just a slightly basic way that the team will typically look at certain rounds of the draft, and coming up with a player that best meshes with the basic requirements of the position and round. Also, just because a player is on here doesn't mean he isn't a good player, or a player I don't like. Just probably not the most exciting player available

32 Jourdan Lewis
he's actually been a personal favourite of a lot of people here, and with good reason. Elite coverage skills and ability to mirror, both on the perimeter and inside. Pats won't be scared off by his height, but will be pulled towards him for his professional coaching he received, positional versatility and elite 3 cone and leaping ability.

64 Dalvin Tomlinson
Interior d-line is always a position the Pats will feel comfortable drafting early, especially from a program they trust. He is probably the least known defender in Bama's front 7, but his ability to do everything inside will make him very appealing. He has great length and size, great strength, and an impressive wrestling career and life of perseverance to get to this point.

96 Daeshon Hall
Edge guys over 6'5 and 260 don't grow on trees, but they are what the Pats look for every time. He has the strength and power to play the edge and hold up in the run game. He has a lot of experience doing all the dirty work and seeing a lot of action given his counter part on the other edge. Pats will like him for his length, games started, ability to slide inside, and big conference competition.

103 Chad Wheeler
Not a great tackle draft, but a need is a need. I have wheeler in every one of my mocks because he seems like such an obvious Patriot style pick. Not the strongest guy for a tackle, but has great feet and movement skills. Not a powerful run blocker, but can get to the second level, which is what is needed in our blocking style. Pats will like him for all of those reasons, his pro style system and length he started for, in a major conference.

135 James Conner
Running back is a need, and power back especially could be very important. Conner has been on the radar for awhile, but the cancer diagnosis could have ended his career. Instead, he came back and returned to pummelling linebackers at the goal line. The pats will love him for perseverence, his toughness, leadership, and character.

155 George Kittle
Tight end is always a need in every draft for the Pats since BB is always searching for a new toy. Kittle isn't the most athletic, the biggest or strongest, but his toughness is his bread and butter. He can block, slip out for big gains and always in the middle of it. He's a favourite of his teammates and fans. Pats will love him for his versatility blocking, toughness, who coached him, level of competition and playing through injuries.

182 Harvey Langi
Not a popular name, but I think could be an interesting later round linebacker. He has great size and decent movement skills for the position. He could provide some real versatility as a run stopper, but possibly being able to stay on the field for passing downs and special teams. At this point, you are looking for players who can get on the field in some capacity from day 1. Langi isn't a star and never will be, but could give something in certain situations and provide some necessary depth.

242 James Onwualu
Back to another common name for me. Has played just about every position imaginable for someone his size (RB WR CB S LB) and has been a team and coaches favourite at Notre Dame. Being a special teams ace helps his cause and being a team captain does as well. Another special teamer with upside, another big program, another versatile defender, and another team captain.

Ho Hum

Yawn!

32 Jourdan Lewis

64 Dalvin Tomlinson
I posted ? about Jourdan Lewis. Is he more in the slot. I think he is to short for outside. And your opinion on Corn Elder?
Have to check Dalvin.
Good mock BTW

I posted ? about Jourdan Lewis. Is he more in the slot. I think he is to short for outside. And your opinion on Corn Elder?
Have to check Dalvin.
Good mock BTW

I think he has outside capabilities due to his physicality and leaping skills, but he will probably fall inside to start his career.

Its actually only something in the last handful of years that the Pats have had any corners with real size. They have almost exclusively drafted guys 5'11 and shorter, so I don't think they would be scared off by Lewis due to his height.

Elder I see as a cheaper version of Lewis, and probably more likely a 3rd round option. I do like him a lot, but he's probably not quite the athlete that Lewis is. Really good tackler and ability dissecting plays. Would bet on him being on the Pats board.

Garoppolo to Browns for #12
Pats trade #12 to Tenn for #18 and #69

#18- Zach Cunningham, LB, Vanderbilt

Just wondering how people here feel about Cunningham vs Hasson Reddick? I personally prefer Reddick because I think he plays with more violence and is more of a playmaker. He reminds me a lot of Jamie Collins except not as physically gifted.

32 Jourdan Lewis

64 Dalvin Tomlinson

96 Daeshon Hall

103 Chad Wheeler

135 James Conner

155 George Kittle

182 Harvey Langi

242 James Onwualu

Ho Hum

By far the closest to the end result. Make it a sticker..

Tomlinson, Conner and Kittle are also on my fun list . must've been doing it wrong..

Just wondering how people here feel about Cunningham vs Hasson Reddick? I personally prefer Reddick because I think he plays with more violence and is more of a playmaker. He reminds me a lot of Jamie Collins except not as physically gifted.

Cunningham drives me crazy. Misses more tackles than any prospect I've scouted in quite some time. Late to diagnose. Overruns plays. Lunges at the ball carrier. Great physical tools and excellent at filling a hole, but I hate his instincts and techniques. Very frustrating player to watch. All pro potential in the right scheme. Don't want him here unless he can be heavily coached up, however.

Hasson is better for my money. I watched a game of his (just his plays in it) and what strikes me is his consistency. He rarely was out of position which is big.

32 Jourdan Lewis

64 Dalvin Tomlinson

96 Daeshon Hall

103 Chad Wheeler

135 James Conner

155 George Kittle

182 Harvey Langi

242 James Onwualu

Ho Hum

I really like this mock. Especially if Ryan leaves. Those middle round picks are killers!

Great effort!

R1 #12 Takkarist McKinley OLB UCLA/ from Cleve

R1 #32 Obi Melifonwu SS Conn

R2 #64 Gerald Everett TE South Alabama

R3 #96 Montravius Adams DT Auburn

R3 #103 Ahkello Witherspoon CB Colorado

R4 #130 Ryan Switzer WR/PR North Carolina

R5 #164 James Connor RB Pitt

R5 #183 Zane Gonzalez K Ariz St

Is it just me or does it seem like Michigan have a some very Good Players at the Patriots NEED areas? Jim Harbaugh did a great job of getting the most out of his Players.

CB: Jourdan Lewis

DE: Taco Charlton

RB: De’Veon Smith

TE: Jake Butt

DT: Chris Wormley

S: Jabrill Peppers

WR's: *Jehu Chesson* binky and Amara Darboh

We could just Draft Players from Michigan and have a very solid Draft. Wouldn't surprise me if some of them end up on the Ravens.

R1 #12 Takkarist McKinley OLB UCLA/ from Cleve

R1 #32 Obi Melifonwu SS Conn

R2 #64 Gerald Everett TE South Alabama

R3 #96 Montravius Adams DT Auburn

R3 #103 Ahkello Witherspoon CB Colorado

R4 #130 Ryan Switzer WR/PR North Carolina

R5 #164 James Connor RB Pitt

R5 #183 Zane Gonzalez K Ariz St

I would love for us to get mckinley and Adams in the same draft. That would fill some big holes in the defensive line.

Add in Everett Switzer and Conner and that is a monster draft!

FWIW, I think Gostkowski will correct whatever the problem is. I'd bring in a camp leg, not a draft pick.

FWIW, I think Gostkowski will correct whatever the problem is. I'd bring in a camp leg, not a draft pick.

With Ghost's contract what it is the only way to make him sweat a bit is to actually draft someone. If you just bring in someone for camp he will know that he is in no real competition.

With Ghost's contract what it is the only way to make him sweat a bit is to actually draft someone. If you just bring in someone for camp he will know that he is in no real competition.

I get what your saying but i think we arent taking into account the fact that he might be his own biggest critic. I dont think he needs to be motivated by another player to know that he needs to improve in certain areas. But im not saying bringing in some competition wont help just not at the expense of a draft pick in this deep of a draft.

I get what your saying but i think we arent taking into account the fact that he might be his own biggest critic. I dont think he needs to be motivated by another player to know that he needs to improve in certain areas. But im not saying bringing in some competition wont help just not at the expense of a draft pick in this deep of a draft.

No I get it. Personally, I think Ghost is fine and we definitely won't find anyone better off the streets and most likely also not in the draft. So I don't give it too much thought.

That being said, there is a certain segment of the fanbase (and also media) that wants us to get him some competition just to make him work harder through the preseason/camp. The only way I see this logic work is if we add someone who actually has the potential to take Ghost's job and not just some random dude.

Cunningham drives me crazy. Misses more tackles than any prospect I've scouted in quite some time. Late to diagnose. Overruns plays. Lunges at the ball carrier. Great physical tools and excellent at filling a hole, but I hate his instincts and techniques. Very frustrating player to watch. All pro potential in the right scheme. Don't want him here unless he can be heavily coached up, however.
I think we already have that guy on the roster in Kyle Van Noy. ;)

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back