PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2017 Mock Draft Thread

manxman2601

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
I'm bored so I thought I'd gice one ago. I'm imagining a Jimmy G trade but trading for a high first rounder just feels a little too convenient so I've gone with trading him for a high 2nd and 3rd rounder (was going to be a 2nd and 4th but we'd lose the high 4th so that doesn't seem practical). Also assuming we re-sign Hightower and Collins and maybe Mingo.

Largely based of current CBS rankings.

32. Jarron Jones, DT, Notre Dame

Ideal Alan Branch replacement. Have only seen the one game from Jones on Draft Breakdown and it was from two years ago but he was impressive and he's getting twitter plaudits. Brown, Jones, Valentine is a nice potential long-term interior DL group.

35. Jake Butt, TE, Michigan or OJ Howard, TE, Alabama

Haven't seen enough yet to decide on one over the other. A Martellus Bennett replacement or extra cover for the sometimes injured Gronk. If we re-sign Bennett, I wouldn't make this pick.

64. Sidney Jones, CB, Washington

He's been getting a lot of Marcus Peters like plaudits. I'm excited to watch him.

67. Conor McDermott, OT, UCLA

He looks like a Patriots OT and despite some struggles against the best player in the draft, I fancy him as a development guy who can replace Solder in the long run.

96. Jalen Reeves-Maybin, LB, Tennessee

An undersized linebacker at 225lbs but we've drafted one of those the last two years in KGH and Matthew Wells. This guy is all over the field.

130. James Conner, RB, Pittsburgh or Kalen Ballage, RB, Arizona State

I really like both. They might not be every down backs in the NFL but both could fit into the Blount role. Might need to invest more at this position in truth, there's a lot of good backs that it would be disappointing to miss out on

Rnd 6. Chidobe Awuzie, CB, Colorado State

Don't know if he has the athleticism for a Patriots CB but I'm confident he has the head. I see him as a Kyle Arrington type back. I wonder if he could switch to safety.

Rnd 7. Dimitric Camiel, OT, Indiana

He's not getting any love yet, but when I watched him briefly, his athleticism reminded me a little of Terron Armstead. I wonder if he'll see a similar late rise up boards although I don't know if he'll put up the same ridiculous numbers at the combine.

Nice kick at the can.

I am finding it difficult to know where to direct my brain power with this draft. I feel like I could be talked in to any number of directions we could go. DT makes sense with brown an Valentine as our only long term answers. Corner does too, with Ryan up and butler due big dollars, although jones jones and Rowe mitigate that need a bit. Safety makes sense if you want to get ahead of any play drop off with mccourty and Chung. TE as well if Bennett isn't a long term solution, or pay is too high.

Tackle and running back would be the two position we would all agree on, but we may end up being pleasantly surprised by guys on our team already.

All that to say, I am going to keep watching jabrill peppers and Myles Garrett tape until I know we aren't trading jimmy for a ransom. At least I know we could find a place for those guys.

Ha butt

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Sorry manx but this draft is now out of date as of now if the Pats were to trade Jimmy anything less than a very high first would be a lot less believable than just getting a 2nd and 3rd for him.

Good job though! :)

Sorry manx but this draft is now out of date as of now if the Pats were to trade Jimmy anything less than a very high first would be a lot less believable than just getting a 2nd and 3rd for him.

Good job though! :)

We'd trade down anyway for a 2nd and 3rd, and a 2nd next year. I say his mock stands. :cool:

We'd trade down anyway for a 2nd and 3rd, and a 2nd next year. I say his mock stands. :cool:

I have been doing some mental math trying to figure out the trade haul we could get out of a top 5 pick.

My calculations tell me, it's a lot.

I have been doing some mental math trying to figure out the trade haul we could get out of a top 5 pick.

My calculations tell me, it's a lot.

I have said before and will say again to break it down in simple terms. For me personally if one where to go by the trade value chart I think 3000 points would be fairly baseline for a bare minimum at this point. Myself personally I would take no less than 4000 and if someone is not willing to give it that is fine as i don't really want to trade him anyway.

I have said before and will say again to break it down in simple terms. For me personally if one where to go by the trade value chart I think 3000 points would be fairly baseline for a bare minimum at this point. Myself personally I would take no less than 4000 and if someone is not willing to give it that is fine as i don't really want to trade him anyway.

So, the Herschel walker haul is all you are settling for?

So, the Herschel walker haul is all you are settling for?

4000 points = #1 overall and 2 high 2nd rounders, 3 top 10 picks, 2 #3 overall picks.

Here is what RG3 got Rams receive: 2012 first-rounder (No. 6: Traded to Cowboys), 2012 second-round selection (No. 39: CB Janoris Jenkins), 2013 first-rounder (No. 22: Traded to Falcons), 2014 first-rounder (No. 2: OT Greg Robinson)

The rams got 1600, 510, 780, 2600 for a grand total of = 5130. I know they gave up a pick too but the difference here is RG3 was an unknown while more is known about Jimmy G.

Also I know it is a lot to ask but if I give him up I ASSUME we are trading away a franchise QB. I do not trade him for less than a young franchise QB is worth. If a team doesn't want to pay that then I am not worried about it but one thing i don't want to happen is trade him away then he turns out to be a very good franchise QB and we didn't get the compensation worthy of it.

People worry about not getting value for him. I would rather keep him next year and see what happens unless a team absolutely knocks me out of my socks.

Last edited:
4000 points = #1 overall and 2 high 2nd rounders, 3 top 10 picks, 2 #3 overall picks.

Here is what RG3 got Rams receive: 2012 first-rounder (No. 6: Traded to Cowboys), 2012 second-round selection (No. 39: CB Janoris Jenkins), 2013 first-rounder (No. 22: Traded to Falcons), 2014 first-rounder (No. 2: OT Greg Robinson)

Do rams got 1600, 510, 780, 2600 for a grand total of = 5130. I know they gave up a pick to but the difference here is RG3 was an unknown well more is known about Jimmy G.

Also I know it is a lot to ask but if I give him up I ASSUME we are trading away a franchise QB. I do not trade him for less than a young franchise QB is worth. If a team doesn't want to pay that then I am am not worried about it but one thing i don't want to happen is trade him away then he turns out to be a very good franchise QB and we didn't get the compensation worthy of it.

People worry about not getting value for him. I would rather keep him for a year and see what happens unless a team absolutely knocks me out of my socks.

That makes more sense. Typically when using the draft chart, future year picks are docked a round. So a 1st becomes a 2nd and yadayada. I think it's a silly practice, but it's why I was confused by the 4000 pt mark.

I would assume we would get equal or higher value as well then. I think the RG3 measuring stick is a good one. Some will see him as having a higher worth, others will see RG3 as treated as much higher valued prospect. Either way, I think he is the guy we will typically be basing the conversation from. Wentz and Goff had a lot more questions coming out than RG3, and even they went for very good value.

I am on the fence about any trade with him, but I am certainly demanding the value of a franchise type quarterback. It was only the two games, but there was lots of Wow.

I have my eye on jabril peppers right now. I saw a mock draft earlier that had him lasting all the way to 26. If that ends up being the case(I doubt it will ever happen) then I would hope BB trades up for him.

But in the case of jimmy g. I only trade him for a ransome of picks similar to St. Louis and Washington a few years ago. If we can't get that then we hold on to someone who can potentially replace Brady and give New England a chance to extend the dynasty.

With the franchise tag we have Jimmy under control for two years. Whilst we might be hopeful about Brady, we are heading into fairly uncharted water as to whether Brady can play up to his current standard in the 2018 season. In other words, holding on to Jimmy might be prudent (although I'm hopeful about Brissett). I'm with those that, after last sunday's performance, wouldn't settle for less than 3,000-4,000 points minimum.

It would be nice to have an additional first rounder but only one extra pick is a lottery. Moreso, than a potential QB controversy in 2018 which is a safety blanket.

Last year i didnt pay too much attention to the draft, this year im looking more closely so im giving this an early go.
So Manx, sorry for hijacking the thread but with the name, i thought this was the best place to put this.

For fun purposes i've traded Jimmy G for a 1st and a 3rd, and later traded that 1st for a 2nd and a 3rd. Just so i have more picks to make at this point, otherwise it would have been a lot more boring.

1st round-Carl Lawson, DE
Love this dude, i think he would be a perfect fit for the Patriots. Probably wont be there for us but its still early and players always fall, the guy already had an ACL tear so who knows. With Sheard and Long needing new deals and the team not getting great pass rush so far this looks like a no brainer to me.

2nd round-Evan Engram, WR/TE
Hernandez v.2 We dont know what is gonna happen with Bennett and we could use a nother TE anyway. Engram would be another amazing weapon por TB12. Even if we keep Bennett he could play a more wide receiver role.

2nd round- Gareon Conley, CB
I got the Logan Ryan pick right, and to me this guy is the perfect Belichik pick. Im having the same feeling i had with Ryan and he could be the perfect replacement if he's gone.

3rd round-Marcus Maye, S
Again, we dont know what is gonna happen with Harmon so it makes sense to pick a safety. Maye is not being regarded as highly as others so far with so many playmakers this year but he is good. Very good run stopper but also good ball skills.

3rd round-Jalen Hurd, RB
We will need a RB, Jalen is a big guy a la Blount.

3rd round-Avery Gennesy, OT
Liking this kid a lot. He doesnt have a lot of experience but i think his ceiling is high and he is playing very well. Think hes gonna rise.

Later rounds-Nick de Luca, LB
Fast, strong, good insticts. We may need another LB, maybe we need to make a pick earlier but the kid is injured for the season i think so he seems like a good late pick.

Last year i didnt pay too much attention to the draft, this year im looking more closely so im giving this an early go.
So Manx, sorry for hijacking the thread but with the name, i thought this was the best place to put this.

For fun purposes i've traded Jimmy G for a 1st and a 3rd, and later traded that 1st for a 2nd and a 3rd. Just so i have more picks to make at this point, otherwise it would have been a lot more boring.

Love this dude, i think he would be a perfect fit for the Patriots. Probably wont be there for us but its still early and players always fall, the guy already had an ACL tear so who knows. With Sheard and Long needing new deals and the team not getting great pass rush so far this looks like a no brainer to me.

Hernandez v.2 We dont know what is gonna happen with Bennett and we could use a nother TE anyway. Engram would be another amazing weapon por TB12. Even if we keep Bennett he could play a more wide receiver role.

I got the Logan Ryan pick right, and to me this guy is the perfect Belichik pick. Im having the same feeling i had with Ryan and he could be the perfect replacement if he's gone.

3rd round-Marcus Maye, S
Again, we dont know what is gonna happen with Harmon so it makes sense to pick a safety. Maye is not being regarded as highly as others so far with so many playmakers this year but he is good. Very good run stopper but also good ball skills.

3rd round-Jalen Hurd, RB

Liking this kid a lot. He doesnt have a lot of experience but i think his ceiling is high and he is playing very well. Think hes gonna rise.

Fast, strong, good insticts. We may need another LB, maybe we need to make a pick earlier but the kid is injured for the season i think so he seems like a good late pick.

Very nice mock.

I really like the Hurd pick. His style is 100% bb.

3rd round-Marcus Maye, S

3rd round-Jalen Hurd, RB

Fill your boots. This thread is for anyone who wants to make a mock. And yours is a noce one. A number of names I need to take a look at.

New Mock

Trade Jimmy G - If Brady plays this year and shows no signs of slowing down I am more on board trading Jimmy provided we get value. I think will we trade him to the Bears/SF for a 1st and 2nd (lets assuming #3 overall and #35 in 2018) Jay Cutler becomes very cut-table in 2017 (not much dead money) and SF has no one.. And the trade would give the Patriots 2750 points which while not what i wanted since he played only 6 qtrs is perhaps the best we get.

#3 - Trade (a #1 next year and the #12 this year (The Titans have 2 first round picks and would probably be okay making a move and unless Myles Garrett is there @ #3 I pull the trigger for this pick. Also this gives the Pats likely the 3000+ points I wanted overall :D - best guess? Titans move up for Cam Robinson - OT.

#12 - Derek Bennett - DE - The one thing the Pats lack is consistent pressure. Derek would be the best DE they have seen in a long while and he is pretty good vs the run which BB likes.

#32 Mike McGlinchey - OT - One of my fav OTs for value.

#64 Eddie Jackson - S - In a pretty deep safety class Bill can't help himself and we need to replace Harmon.

I will need to look at LBs more but all the ones i looked at that i thought fit had baggage :(

Last edited:
#64 Eddie Jackson - S - In a pretty deep safety class Bill can't help himself and we need to replace Harmon.

Really nice mock, but do you think that Jackson will go that high after his injuries? I'm kind of hoping we can get him with the Collins pick.

Really nice mock, but do you think that Jackson will go that high after his injuries? I'm kind of hoping we can get him with the Collins pick.

IDK way to early to say. I just like the player so i mocked him haha. Maybe goes higher or lower. We will need to see how injuries play out.

Interesting selections!

One detail is the likelihood that McGlinchey will stay another year at Notre dame. He's made it clear he plans to return, but time will tell.

Like seeing these pop up again. Tis that time of year again.

Jackson will be a hot name. I heard some teams are interested in him as a cb.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back