PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2017 Mock Draft Thread

Myles Garrett.

Make it happen, Bill. (Garoppolo would need to be traded to do it.)

His tape is incredible and he seems like a great dude who Bill would like as well.

Myles Garrett.

Make it happen, Bill. (Garoppolo would need to be traded to do it.)

His tape is incredible and he seems like a great dude who Bill would like as well.

Demarcus Ware/Julius Peppers

Guy is so good with such a high ceiling.

Body chiseled from rock and will be a 21 rookie. Can see him playing all along the line throughout his career when he fills out around 24-25.
Very explosive and impossible to stop when he times the snap. Brings single arm stab, bull rush and spin. Can tip passes and blow up screens.
Played in odd front, weak side and can drop anchor. NEVER SELLS OUT OR DROPS HIS RESPONSIBILITIES.

Trading the picks and collecting a bunch of good players is great and 99% of the time I'm all for it. MG is that 1% game changer.

Demarcus Ware/Julius Peppers

Guy is so good with such a high ceiling.

Body chiseled from rock and will be a 21 rookie. Can see him playing all along the line throughout his career when he fills out around 24-25.
Very explosive and impossible to stop when he times the snap. Brings single arm stab, bull rush and spin. Can tip passes and blow up screens.
Played in odd front, weak side and can drop anchor. NEVER SELLS OUT OR DROPS HIS RESPONSIBILITIES.

Trading the picks and collecting a bunch of good players is great and 99% of the time I'm all for it. MG is that 1% game changer.

It is so dangerous to trade Jimmy G away and bet your return on one guy. I would probably do it but i honestly hope he isn't there so the Pats aren't tempted. The truth is any 1 guy can bust even Myles Garrett. I mean look at Clowney. He was a 100% can't miss guy who was projected to the HOF and right now he looks like a JAG.

Myles could be the next Von Miller or the next Clowney.

It is so dangerous to trade Jimmy G away and bet your return on one guy. I would probably do it but i honestly hope he isn't there so the Pats aren't tempted. The truth is any 1 guy can bust even Myles Garrett. I mean look at Clowney. He was a 100% can't miss guy who was projected to the HOF and right now he looks like a JAG.

Myles could be the next Von Miller or the next Clowney.

I have to disagree about J.D. who I actually like. But I described him as a guy "without a skill set" and I think that was a great description of him. He won with athleticism and very little else.
Even his bull rush, which was his best move coming out, needed work as he would rarely extend and lock out.

I think Garrett is what everyone thought JD was and actually a decent comp that I hesitate using bc of JD's label right now.

I 100% get where you're coming from and again most of the time I'd agree and probably still would bc I'm really liking this draft in certain areas but sometimes you need that "guy" to put you over the top. I think Garrett would be instant pass rush and produce immediately. I think he's more ready than Bosa and he looks decent after all that contract bs.

Also Garrett is still just scratching the surface. I don't believe your body is truly done filling out until around 24-25 and this kid has the body you'd kill 5 people to have. I envision him playing everywhere along the line and front at some point.

6'5 265 and still a "kid".

I think either him and maybe Allen would be worth keeping a top 3-5 pick for. Both would be cheap, big areas of need and have tons of upside.

I have to disagree about J.D. who I actually like. But I described him as a guy "without a skill set" and I think that was a great description of him. He won with athleticism and very little else.
Even his bull rush, which was his best move coming out, needed work as he would rarely extend and lock out.

I think Garrett is what everyone thought JD was and actually a decent comp that I hesitate using bc of JD's label right now.

I 100% get where you're coming from and again most of the time I'd agree and probably still would bc I'm really liking this draft in certain areas but sometimes you need that "guy" to put you over the top. I think Garrett would be instant pass rush and produce immediately. I think he's more ready than Bosa and he looks decent after all that contract bs.

Also Garrett is still just scratching the surface. I don't believe your body is truly done filling out until around 24-25 and this kid has the body you'd kill 5 people to have. I envision him playing everywhere along the line and front at some point.

6'5 265 and still a "kid".

I think either him and maybe Allen would be worth keeping a top 3-5 pick for. Both would be cheap, big areas of need and have tons of upside.

As far as Allen is concerned, do you worry at all about his game translating to the pros? I love how defined his skills are already, but I do have some concern of him struggling to have the same success against more polished, and larger lineman. I think he will be fine, but some of the comparisons to Suh and Watt are crazy to me. He just isnt that large or have that type of length to dominate people physically.

Honestly, not a lot of worry at all. The kid is a worker and has 3 legit moves he'll be bringing from day 1(single arm stab, bull, spin and has great bend) and will only get better. Hes also impossible to stop when he times the snap correctly.

I see him as Demarcus Ware 2.0 with some Peppers mixed in. And his upside is tremendous. Imagine his body at 25 after a few years of play?

Again I'm most likely taking the picks if we got #1 but this is kid is that 1% difference maker imo.

Garrett I agree with, I was mostly wondering about Allens fit.

Garrett I agree with, I was mostly wondering about Allens fit.

Allen is the best player in college football hands down. Absolute dominator. A man among boys.

If we had him, we would line him up on the side of brown and have the best dt combination in the nfl.

Allen's presence alone will make our de's job that much easier.

I can't believe I did that! I'm sorry complete brain freeze.

I definitely think his game will be inside at the next level and he should just add an extra 5-10lbs and shed some bad weight. Needs to get stronger but he has an NFL body. Thick lower body throughout. Not a dumpster but a nice big bubble.

I really like Allen a lot. The kid is almost a boxer out there. And like a boxer he never exposes his chest or is a big target. Great, violent hands. Always makes first contact or throws first punch. Nice inside punch where he'll move his opponent back. Has rip and dip. Nice grip and rip. Efficient and doesn't take bad steps. Can convert speed to power.

Not a great first step. Last off line most of time. Will need to improve pass rush. Definitely not an outside/edge player consistently. No bend. Not a chaser. Lack ideal length. Not a twitchy guy.

Right now I'm working on a C Jordan, C Heyward comp. I think he's best used in a multiple front. But see more 5 tech than 3 right now.

His hand work puts him above M.M. right now for me. Him and Malcolm would make a very nice combo. Definitely want more from Brown tho

I can't believe I did that! I'm sorry complete brain freeze.

I definitely think his game will be inside at the next level and he should just add an extra 5-10lbs and shed some bad weight. Needs to get stronger but he has an NFL body. Thick lower body throughout. Not a dumpster but a nice big bubble.

I really like Allen a lot. The kid is almost a boxer out there. And like a boxer he never exposes his chest or is a big target. Great, violent hands. Always makes first contact or throws first punch. Nice inside punch where he'll move his opponent back. Has rip and dip. Nice grip and rip. Efficient and doesn't take bad steps. Can convert speed to power.

Not a great first step. Last off line most of time. Will need to improve pass rush. Definitely not an outside/edge player consistently. No bend. Not a chaser. Lack ideal length. Not a twitchy guy.

Right now I'm working on a C Jordan, C Heyward comp. I think he's best used in a multiple front. But see more 5 tech than 3 right now.

His hand work puts him above M.M. right now for me. Him and Malcolm would make a very nice combo. Definitely want more from Brown tho

That basically nails all that I love about him, and my concerns. I think he will play in the league a decade, and is the safest player in the draft, just wonder if his lack of measurables will hurt his ceiling.

Would love to have him, just wonder about a top 5 pick on him.

That basically nails all that I love about him, and my concerns. I think he will play in the league a decade, and is the safest player in the draft, just wonder if his lack of measurables will hurt his ceiling.

Would love to have him, just wonder about a top 5 pick on him.

I think his ceiling could be Fletcher Cox, absolute best case. Which is pretty freaking good considering Cox is a beast and multiple player. Disruptive beast, probably a lil more twitchy than Allen?

One reason I love seeing these guys outside of game day is to see that burst and what they can do.

I'm very curious to what some think we could get for Jimmy? I post on another forum and some think we're getting a bundle? I'm really torn?

I had Jimmy behind Carr as 1-2 when they came out. Both High 2nd rd.7.80-7.66.

I actually used both for comps to each other. Great arm, touch, accuracy and touch. Mobile but gashers, not scramblers or runners. Multiple read guys. Vocal and smart.

Both had the same problem with pressure. Obviously both look very good. This QB class is terrible. Honestly don't see a 1st rd'r imo.

If we got that dream pick that could land "X" we would still have our 1st and rest of the draft. In a draft that looks great 2-4.

Been watching film of Hubbard from Ohio state.

We need a pass rusher and this guy has huge potential. Bb had not drafted many Ohio state players but he is close to urban.

De Hubbard in the first
Ot Conner mc. From ucla in the second
Olb/de/ilb Anderson from Alabama in the third.

" ...to every time there is a season..." Draftniks havee finally learned from BB that multiple lower picks can be advantageous. Hoorah !!! But that was then; and this is now. BB was rebuilding (while winning), replacing a 1st generation Super Bowl club with an entire team of newbies. He needed large numbers of good players, and he found them after patiently screening and teaching them.

But that is no longer the case. There simply is no room unless he wants to rebuild the Browns with his cuts. He needs the key starters until they prove themselves not adapatable by contract or attitude. (See Jones, Collins), Now he is looking for the one thing he needs... an eventual franchise QB for post Brady. He may have found a candidate or two that he is grooming. Unless he decides it not anyone that he has, why would he start over?

Daftniks are so enamored acquiring with draft picks, they never stop and ask why you covet them.

The Team is completely rebuilt now into a Super Bowl club of the next generation. As far as I can see, he needs only three positions. 1)Big LOT candidate who is good enough for LOT and Big enough not to waste on the bench by playing him at ROT. 2)Then a superior Pass rusher to make the rest of the good players there, into a superb pass rushing team like they were last season with 47 sacks. 3) Finally, an eventual successor big RB to Blount. IMHO, he ALREADY has sufficient high picks to accomplish all that.

Of course there are uses for the lower round picks e.g. a C better and bigger than Andrews, as Stork had his career ruined by injury. And of course another TE candidate to groom. Then perhaps a CB candidate or two and a RB or WR candidate also.

So what is the desire to discard his QB developments? Indeed I fully expect him to draft another QB, just to be able to park him on the PS for development. That candidate needs talent, but not be ready enough to have him snatched from the PS.

Last edited:
Pats mock! I am getting a bit more of a feel on the players and feel like a mock here it is.

The Pats will trade Jimmy G and #32 overall to Chicago for #4 overall. I think with the top 2 players in the draft likely gone at this point Chicago feels like they can make this trade and not get their heads bitten off. Also the fact they trade it for another first (even last in the round) makes it doable.

#4 - Trade down to for #6 and #70 - with no player the Pats want desperately here they decide to trade down and the Titans jump over the Jets to get the best DB in the draft. (Peppers I think)

#6 - Trade down to #15 for a 1st next year. By this point no doubt many Patriots fans are pulling their hair out but Jimmy has netted us a lot of value. Eagles jump to select RB Fournette who slipped some and is clear the top RB this draft.

#15 - Carl Lawson - DE - Auburn - After netting a 1st next year and 3rd for Jimmy and moving up 17 spots the pats feel it is time to pick. It will be one of Lawson/Harris most likely unless they really like a CB here. Lawson is my ideal pick for this spot.

#64 - Jourdan Lewis - CB - Michigan - This player has no business being available at this spot. However being under 5'10 and with so many good CBs this year 5'11 and over it is possible he slips. The NFL has always showed it was hesitant to pick smaller CBs in the top 2 rounds. It would be a crime if he goes this far but right now the only news about CBs is more guys moving up and no one moving down.

#70 Carlos Watkins - DT - Pats could use help at DT and pass rush there. Branch is not getting younger and the lack of a 4th guy you can depend on is concerning.

#96 Julie'n Davenport - OT -The Pats need a 3rd OT to groom and here he is. One of the more interesting prospects of the draft. He has the body and the talent but is raw and not ready to play yet. Sounds perfect to me. Give him a year with Scar and by next year he will be a quality LT backup.

3rd comp -

Last edited:
#6 - Trade down to #15 for a 1st next year. By this point no doubt many Patriots fans are pulling their hair out but Jimmy has netted us a lot of value. Eagles jump to select RB Fournette who slipped some and is clear the top RB this draft.

I'd love this.. snowball the JG pick into multiple first round picks over the next years..

I assume Butt is going to drop now

A mock based upon the players I've watched so far and like.

Trade Jimmy G to San Fran for 2nd and 3rd Round

McDaniels and Caserio head to San Fran and bring in Jimmy but the #2 overall is too rich and a 4th is useless to us because of 'effin' Goodell.

Re-sign Hightower and Butler either long-term or via franchise tag and 1st round RFA tender.
Re-sign Martellus to a longish term deal
Re-sign Blount and maybe Michael Floyd.
Re-sign Branch and Develin

Either re-sign Sheard or sign JPP

Note, these signings are a wish list without giving too much thought to how much it would all cost.

Mock

Rnd 1 - Budda Baker, S, Washington

Replaces Harmon. Can play as the single high guy or as a nickel corner. An early binky.

Rnd 2 (SF) - Antonio Garcia, OT, Troy

Future Solder replacement and backup OT/blocking TE for 2017

Rnd 2 - Adoree' Jackson, Athlete, USC

I know, I know. Not the most obvious Pats pick but he's an elite athlete. I think about using him as an offensive weapon rather than on defense. And of course, he's an outstanding returner. Use him like the Chiefs use Tyreek Hill.

Rnd 3 (SF) - Chidobe Awuzie, CB, Colorado

I keep comparing him to Kyle Arrington. He's my "most likely to be a Patriot" guy so far this year.

Rnd 3 - Jake Replogle, DT, Purdue

Smart, team Captain and a one gap penetrator. Would fulfil a similar role to Akiem Hicks. Watched one DB cut up and was sold within the first three plays. He's PFF's top graded interior lineman.

Rnd 3 (CLE) - Ryan Switzer, WR, N Carolina

Amendola replacement. It's an easy (and yes, lazy pick) but it's also a good one.

Rnd 4 (SEA) - Florian Marmalade Folarin Orimolade, LB, Dartmouth

Plays as an edge rusher and off ball linebacker. I'd use him as the latter at 240lb. Explosive with good COD skills. He might not be Jamie Collins, but he might be Jamie Collins lite.

That's about as far as I can go right now.

McDaniels and Caserio head to San Fran and bring in Jimmy but the #2 overall is too rich and a 4th is useless to us because of 'effin' Goodell.

Re-sign Hightower and Butler either long-term or via franchise tag and 1st round RFA tender.

Note, these signings are a wish list without giving too much thought to how much it would all cost.

Mock

Replaces Harmon. Can play as the single high guy or as a nickel corner. An early binky.

I know, I know. Not the most obvious Pats pick but he's an elite athlete. I think about using him as an offensive weapon rather than on defense. And of course, he's an outstanding returner. Use him like the Chiefs use Tyreek Hill.

I keep comparing him to Kyle Arrington. He's my "most likely to be a Patriot" guy so far this year.

Smart, team Captain and a one gap penetrator. Would fulfil a similar role to Akiem Hicks. Watched one DB cut up and was sold within the first three plays. He's PFF's top graded interior lineman.

Amendola replacement. It's an easy (and yes, lazy pick) but it's also a good one.

Plays as an edge rusher and off ball linebacker. I'd use him as the latter at 240lb. Explosive with good COD skills. He might not be Jamie Collins, but he might be Jamie Collins lite.

Good mock but i'd rather not trade Jimmy than trade him for a 2nd and 3rd (even if they are high) Those would amount to about the 20th pick overall. I'd rather just hang on to JAG in that case. I would want more and if I couldn't get it i'd keep him for the insurance policy.

Last edited:

Mock

Very nice mock.

Do you think that with Jackson getting hurt in the bowl game, he might drop a little further?

Very nice mock.

Do you think that with Jackson getting hurt in the bowl game, he might drop a little further?

I havent seen how badly he's injured to be honest.. I cant find anything on google to suggest it's serious enough to affect him next year.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back