PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2017 Mock Draft Thread

I am looking at both. I think both are needs with Sheard and long free agents and Ninko a year away. I see both as significant needs, but also not wanting to overdraft either position. I think that outside of Taco, every other "elephant end' has significant question marks, while the Vrabel type role might be easier to find.

It may be a little simplistic, but it keeps me from pigeon holding certain guys, when we have multiple front seven roles to fill.

Interesting. I went looking back through our recent EDGE draft picks. 6'3" and 33" plus arms seem to be the base. I'm not sure there's been any 6'2", 32" arm guys drafted by us recently.

Trey Flowers - 6'2", 34.25"
Geneo Grissom - 6'3", 33"
Michael Buchanan - 6'5", 34"
Chandler Jones - 6'5", 35.5"
Jake Bequette - 6'5", 32"

Williams, Mathis and Anderson all look fairly short armed to me (approx 32") and all are around 6-2. I must admit, i've partly discounted them because of that lack of length.

I am looking at both. I think both are needs with Sheard and long free agents and Ninko a year away. I see both as significant needs, but also not wanting to overdraft either position. I think that outside of Taco, every other "elephant end' has significant question marks, while the Vrabel type role might be easier to find.

It may be a little simplistic, but it keeps me from pigeon holding certain guys, when we have multiple front seven roles to fill.

Doesn't Flowers play that elephant end 1st and 2nd down then kick inside on third?
Mcaffrey is a match made in heaven with all the intangibles and more specifically skill set........However..Patriots have invested (Lewis..White..DJ Foster) in that department. As you said Lewis (cheap FA) can assume lead back role (as stated Mcaffrey shouldn't be used that way) ...White (4th round pick) is coming off a historic super bowl (look what that did for Butler the following season)... And DJ Foster was kept around by the team for a reason (undrafted UDFA). Patriots are getting good to SUPER production without investing heavily in that specific position/skill set.

Although the idea of the move is great...considering the state of the team...it doesn't make much sense as of right now.

The names are definitely there, but do you really trust Lewis to play a full season? As great as he is,it almost seems impossible at this point.

White played great in the SB, and has shown to be a great receiving option, but he leaves something to be desired running the ball. If he can build of his SB performance you have something, but we'll see.

Agreed on foster, and he might be that next guy up, but he could also be the next Tyler Gaffney that gets stashed away on the PS.

I just look at the dynamic Mccaffrey can bring to this offense. He's a game breaker in many aspects of the game. Rushing, receiving, ST. The only guy of that list we can say the same about is Lewis, but again he's just not durable.

I see your point of that position not being a need (now) but 2 of those guys will hit FA next offseason. You know BB always looks a year ahead.

Basham definitely has enough length to play in our scheme. I'm pretty high on him, as I mentioned in my EDGE thread. If he runs in the 4.6 range as Pauline is reporting, then he might just price himself out of contention.

I still like Walker better than most. He won't put up a great 40 time, but he's a physical, nasty, relentless technician. Almost identical size and play style to Trey Flowers. I'll take another Flowers any day of the week, thanks.

Doesn't Flowers play that elephant end 1st and 2nd down then kick inside on third?

The names are definitely there, but do you really trust Lewis to play a full season? As great as he is,it almost seems impossible at this point.

White played great in the SB, and has shown to be a great receiving option, but he leaves something to be desired running the ball. If he can build of his SB performance you have something, but we'll see.

Agreed on foster, and he might be that next guy up, but he could also be the next Tyler Gaffney that gets stashed away on the PS.

I just look at the dynamic Mccaffrey can bring to this offense. He's a game breaker in many aspects of the game. Rushing, receiving, ST. The only guy of that list we can say the same about is Lewis, but again he's just not durable.

I see your point of that position not being a need (now) but 2 of those guys will hit FA next offseason. You know BB always looks a year ahead.
It's not so much what Christian can bring to the offense... I've admitted as much saying he's a match made in heaven for us.

Also I totally recognize White is limited running and Lewis is injury prone..those are all besides the point because regardless of those Facts the aforementioned still produce at a high rate because they are different cogs in the rbbc.

My thing is where did BB go get those guys ... UDFA and 4th round. I have a hard time believing he's going to spend a first on a 3rd receiving back when he has 2 producing at their level at less of a cost.

Thinking a year ahead as you stated both our backs come with baggage likely to drive their price down and make their services relatively easy to retain...

If Mcaffrey made it to the 3rd round (and as of this point that doesn't seem likely ) I'd love the value...maybe even a late second but as our first (where he's predicted to go) man that would be tough to swallow for a guy projected to be exactly what white is.

It's not so much what Christian can bring to the offense... I've admitted as much saying he's a match made in heaven for us.

Also I totally recognize White is limited running and Lewis is injury prone..those are all besides the point because regardless of those Facts the aforementioned still produce at a high rate because they are different cogs in the rbbc.

My thing is where did BB go get those guys ... UDFA and 4th round. I have a hard time believing he's going to spend a first on a 3rd receiving back when he has 2 producing at their level at less of a cost.

Thinking a year ahead as you stated both our backs come with baggage likely to drive their price down and make their services relatively easy to retain...

Don't forget, before White/Lewis BB invested a 2nd on a similar type player in Vereen.

Also I think Lewis durability concerns makes a guy like McCaffrey much more valuable to us. Lewis is a great player, and the Pats might have a bargain in him, but if he doesn't finish the year it's all for nothing.

Don't forget, before White/Lewis BB invested a 2nd on a similar type player in Vereen.

Also I think Lewis durability concerns makes a guy like McCaffrey much more valuable to us. Lewis is a great player, and the Pats might have a bargain in him, but if he doesn't finish the year it's all for nothing.
That he did...and a UDFA is out performing him and a 4th round pick is trending to be better than him. The point is there's more value to wait for those guys than go after them,based on recent history with this team. Especially because we have 2 who can preform at an elite level already.

As a whole since Maroney and a case can be made for vereen .. It doesn't seem this team goes after the shinest toy when it comes to RBs..but rather take the toys no one else wants or is done with.

Again a part of me hopes his hype dies down and he slides...even to our second round pick.. Then we can talk...but a first? In my very amateur opinion...way too rich. Of course because I said that watch Belichick trade up in the first to nab him:D:D

Last edited:
This is a mixture of binkies and players I think are best fits for the Pats.

Trade Jimmy G for Bears' 2nd round, 3rd and 2018 Second rounder

1 - Tarrell Basham, EDGE, Ohio

Mike Mayock calls him a 2nd rounder and Rob Rang is 'hearing' he'll run 4.6 at the combine. Basham doesn't quite have the athleticism of Chandler Jones but to my eyes at least, there's a lot of similarities. If he gets close to 7.00 in the 3-cone, I'd have no issue taking him at the end of the first round.

2A - Budda Baker, S, Washington

One of my biggest binkies. If Basham is a not quite as good Chandler Jones, Baker is a not quite as good Mathieu. But he's good enough to be a playmaker in our secondary. I think he can be the pick if Harmon leaves, but also could replace Jordan Richards on the roster.

2B - Akhello Witherspoon, CB, Colorado

This was a really tough pick. I wanted to put Awuzie or Antonio Garcia here (and would love either) but I went with Witherspoon. His tackling is an issue which could rule him out for the Pats but his length, smooth hips and ability to get his hands on the ball make him a really intriguing quality outside CB. He did an outstanding job on John Ross in the bowl game. This pick is all about the upside.

3A - Carlos Watkins, DT, Clemson

Has the ability to be a big 3-tech and the length to be play two gap 3-4. He'd fill the role Akiem Hicks played for the Pats. I think he has the ability to be successful in the NFL.

3B - Adam Shaheen, TE, Ashland

Another upside pick. It might take him a year or two, but Shaheen could be a key part of, either, replacing a broken Gronk or forming an outstanding double headed TE monster with him. Comparisons with Travis Kelce are justified from what I've seen of him.

3C- Anthony Walker Jr, LB, Northwestern

The linebacker who most closely fits the Hightower leader/smack mouth game that I've seen so far. He's not Hightower but he has the ability to affect games and lead the defense.

4 - Kareem Hunt, RB, Toledo

Aside from size, Hunt ticks every Patriots box. Blocks very well, doesn't drop passes, doesn't fumble. Bring back Blount for a year and give Hunt the chance to bulk up to around 220.

5 - Mack Hollins, WR, UNC

A 6'4 WR with the ability to affect the game on downfield throws. a 4yr team captain on special teams (ie including his freshman year), Hollins seems like one of the top character prospects in the draft. He may never become a fully rounded WR but he'll have a chance of finding a roster spot because of his special teams.

7 - James Onwualu, LB, Notre Dame

Another high character special teamer. This is BB's Patriots after all. Hat tip to I.M. Fletcher on this one.

Guys I really like who could have easily been included:

Haason Reddick
Tyrus Bowser
Jarrad Davis
Chidobe Awuzie
Antonio Garcia
Damontae Kazee
Christian McCaffrey
Michael Roberts
Tedric Thompson
ZERO Offensive Linemen??

Mike Mayock calls him a 2nd rounder and Rob Rang is 'hearing' he'll run 4.6 at the combine. Basham doesn't quite have the athleticism of Chandler Jones but to my eyes at least, there's a lot of similarities. If he gets close to 7.00 in the 3-cone, I'd have no issue taking him at the end of the first round.

I think Anderson is my most likely pick at 32 right now. Not exactly my favourite prospect, and not the most exciting, but I am betting you can plug and play him in Sheard's role for the next 5 years, at at least you have one more front 7 position locked up.

Maybe its just me . but I have Basham over Taco actually.

Watching full games tape he comes across as a better 60 min player and more versatile DE+DL, more difficult to take him out of the game. Setting edge, outside&inside rush, stopping run, strong, relentless, responsible + leadership and character. Nothing too flashy for eyes&stats . but his presence and pressure is felt 60/60. Would not be too surprised if he'd bring Sheard's 2016 game by September.

Unfortunately, the moment I took my time to watch him more and binkied him, he started rising and now it indeed takes #32. On the other side there are many very good edge/DL guys out there and some will fall..

__

@Fletch - Funnily, when I was reading Manx's mock I was just about to answer that I wouldn't mind a combination of Basham and Anderson picks.. A week ago or so that was easily possible . not realistic anymore with the picks Pats currently have. With their versatility and dependability seems like you could lock 3 positions for years to come.

Sign me up for all-dull guys (that stay on the field and win championships)

This is a mixture of binkies and players I think are best fits for the Pats.

Trade Jimmy G for Bears' 2nd round, 3rd and 2018 Second rounder

2A - Budda Baker, S, Washington

One of my biggest binkies. If Basham is a not quite as good Chandler Jones, Baker is a not quite as good Mathieu. But he's good enough to be a playmaker in our secondary. I think he can be the pick if Harmon leaves, but also could replace Jordan Richards on the roster.

2B - Akhello Witherspoon, CB, Colorado

This was a really tough pick. I wanted to put Awuzie or Antonio Garcia here (and would love either) but I went with Witherspoon. His tackling is an issue which could rule him out for the Pats but his length, smooth hips and ability to get his hands on the ball make him a really intriguing quality outside CB. He did an outstanding job on John Ross in the bowl game. This pick is all about the upside.

3A - Carlos Watkins, DT, Clemson

Has the ability to be a big 3-tech and the length to be play two gap 3-4. He'd fill the role Akiem Hicks played for the Pats. I think he has the ability to be successful in the NFL.

3B - Adam Shaheen, TE, Ashland

Another upside pick. It might take him a year or two, but Shaheen could be a key part of, either, replacing a broken Gronk or forming an outstanding double headed TE monster with him. Comparisons with Travis Kelce are justified from what I've seen of him.

3C- Anthony Walker Jr, LB, Northwestern

The linebacker who most closely fits the Hightower leader/smack mouth game that I've seen so far. He's not Hightower but he has the ability to affect games and lead the defense.

4 - Kareem Hunt, RB, Toledo

Aside from size, Hunt ticks every Patriots box. Blocks very well, doesn't drop passes, doesn't fumble. Bring back Blount for a year and give Hunt the chance to bulk up to around 220.

5 - Mack Hollins, WR, UNC

A 6'4 WR with the ability to affect the game on downfield throws. a 4yr team captain on special teams (ie including his freshman year), Hollins seems like one of the top character prospects in the draft. He may never become a fully rounded WR but he'll have a chance of finding a roster spot because of his special teams.

7 - James Onwualu, LB, Notre Dame

Another high character special teamer. This is BB's Patriots after all. Hat tip to I.M. Fletcher on this one.

Guys I really like who could have easily been included:

Haason Reddick
Tyrus Bowser
Jarrad Davis
Chidobe Awuzie
Antonio Garcia
Damontae Kazee
Christian McCaffrey
Michael Roberts
Tedric Thompson
Nice both Shaheen and Hollins, Whiterspoon too,but problem with tackling, Have to check Budda Baker, but have some other dude in my mind. cant remember his name.

Nice both Shaheen and Hollins, Whiterspoon too,but problem with tackling, Have to check Budda Baker, but have some other dude in my mind. cant remember his name.

Baker might be my no 1 choice for our 32 pick. Love him.

What about Mike Williams as Harmon replacement. Isnt Budda more like Chung?

Budda is more like Tyrann Mathieu which would enable McCourty to drop back into Harmon's position (if Harmon leaves). And I think you mean Marcus Williams rather than Mike. I've only seen a bit and he is impressive at that single high spot. I just like Budda more because he can effect the game in so many ways. By the way, if you're looking for a Patrick Chung, take a look at Shalom Luani of Washington State (I posted about him on the second to last page of the draft prospect thread). Very hard hitter.

If Mcaffrey made it to the 3rd round (and as of this point that doesn't seem likely ) I'd love the value...maybe even a late second but as our first (where he's predicted to go) man that would be tough to swallow for a guy projected to be exactly what white is.

FWIW I've seen suggestions that his optimal position in the NFL is Edelman 2.0.

FWIW I've seen suggestions that his optimal position in the NFL is Edelman 2.0.

Yes. With Lev Bell's patience and balance. Unfortunately not Bell's size though.

Very early mock for me. Only 4 rounds, i havent seen enough prospects yet, and without trades.

1 Desmond King CB
2 Tarrell Basham DE
3 Tyus Bowser LB
3 Kareem Hunt RB
4 Eddie Jackson S

If we can get away with that i'd be ecstatic.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
Back