PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2017 Mock Draft Thread

I would only have two issues with this mock. I've read that both Jaleel Johnson and Corey Clement have issues about how much they love football. If that's right (I don't know if it is), and after what happened with Easley, I wonder if they'd be on our board.

I really like Clement's tape, but the more I read about him, the more I am convinced that he will never play here. From the NFL.com overview:

WEAKNESSES
Scouts have labeled him "entitled" and question his football character and leadership. Had 2015 season washed away due to injury, attitude and an off-field incident. One speed, monotonous approach as a runner. Lacks burst and drags feet through hole, allowing defenders to get hands on him. Impatient. Runs up the back of blockers rather than allowing plays to develop. Missing improvisational talent and finesse. Not an instinctive runner and lacks feel for development of running lanes between the tackles. Can be indecisive and very impatient. Seems to be waiting for the next jump-cut rather than punching the gas downhill. Can be hit-or-miss with his reads on outside zone plays. Rarely in on obvious passing downs.

SOURCES TELL US
"He checked out mentally on the entire 2015 season and wasn't very well liked inside that program. Then you add durability concerns and that's a problem." -- NFC North scout

No thank you! Do not want. 2017 NFL Draft Profile: Corey Clement

I really like Clement's tape, but the more I read about him, the more I am convinced that he will never play here. From the NFL.com overview:

WEAKNESSES
Scouts have labeled him "entitled" and question his football character and leadership. Had 2015 season washed away due to injury, attitude and an off-field incident. One speed, monotonous approach as a runner. Lacks burst and drags feet through hole, allowing defenders to get hands on him. Impatient. Runs up the back of blockers rather than allowing plays to develop. Missing improvisational talent and finesse. Not an instinctive runner and lacks feel for development of running lanes between the tackles. Can be indecisive and very impatient. Seems to be waiting for the next jump-cut rather than punching the gas downhill. Can be hit-or-miss with his reads on outside zone plays. Rarely in on obvious passing downs.

SOURCES TELL US
"He checked out mentally on the entire 2015 season and wasn't very well liked inside that program. Then you add durability concerns and that's a problem." -- NFC North scout

No thank you! Do not want. 2017 NFL Draft Profile: Corey Clement

Yea i actually went to school not too far from his high school in Glassboro nj. And from what i heard he was a jerk to everybody on the team there so im not surprised he would be like that in college. I wouldnt want him in new england.

Some boards have Davis and Hooker falling to 32. (2nd one is w Draftek's)
While that's not realistic here's what one could get even without Jimmy or trades..
The second one with Hooker looks tasty . from the outsider point of view of course..

32: R1P32 WR COREY DAVIS ................. S MALIK HOOKER
64: R2P32 LB DUKE RILEY .................... LB RAEKWON MCMILLAN
96: R3P32 RB SAMAJE PERINE ............ TE JORDAN LEGGETT
103: R3P39 TE ADAM SHAHEEN ............ CB CHIDOBE AWUZIE
135: R4P32 S JOHN JOHNSON ............... ED DEATRICH WISE JR.
164: R5P19 ED DEATRICH WISE JR. ...... WR RYAN SWITZER
183: R5P38 OT STORM NORTON ........... RB JAMES CONNER
242: R7P21 CB JEREMY CUTRER ........... K ZANE GONZALEZ

Unfortunately most players we like here are on the rise.
Id be shocked if Wise lasts till 5th f.e.., some have McMillan already mid 2nd, Leggett in the 2nd as well..

Last edited:
Some boards have Davis and Hooker falling to 32. (2nd one is w Draftek's)
While that's not realistic here's what one could get with without Jimmy or trades..
The second one with Hooker looks tasty . from the outsider point of view

32: R1P32 WR COREY DAVIS ................. S MALIK HOOKER
64: R2P32 LB DUKE RILEY .................... LB RAEKWON MCMILLAN
96: R3P32 RB SAMAJE PERINE ............ TE JORDAN LEGGETT
103: R3P39 TE ADAM SHAHEEN ............ CB CHIDOBE AWUZIE
135: R4P32 S JOHN JOHNSON ............... ED DEATRICH WISE JR.
164: R5P19 ED DEATRICH WISE JR. ...... WR RYAN SWITZER
183: R5P38 OT STORM NORTON ........... RB JAMES CONNER
242: R7P21 CB JEREMY CUTRER ........... K ZANE GONZALEZ

Unfortunately most players we like here are on the rise.
Id be shocked if Wise lasts till 5th f.e.., some have McMillan already mid 2nd, Leggett in the 2nd as well..

I really like bringing in Gonzalez as a kicker.

My thoughts on this are that the spot at which you selected a kicker is great because it is a strong warning towards Ghost but didn't cost too much so a cut in summer doesn't hurt that much. However, I don't think Gonzalez will be there in the seventh. More and more teams are drafting kickers/punters in the mid rounds (or even earlier) and I think he can be pretty good at NFL level if his mental game is strong.

But it's just nitpicking.. I like the second one a lot even though I don't really know some of the late round players but instead just go off position for now.

You're right. Just seen he was at 195. He looks smaller though.

I don't want McCaffrey here to carry the rock up the gut 30 times. But how we use Lewis or how Atlanta uses Freeman is ideal. He's just a mismatch.

If they go heavy, just split the defenses out wide and hope you see a LB on him.

Mcaffrey is a match made in heaven with all the intangibles and more specifically skill set........However..Patriots have invested (Lewis..White..DJ Foster) in that department. As you said Lewis (cheap FA) can assume lead back role (as stated Mcaffrey shouldn't be used that way) ...White (4th round pick) is coming off a historic super bowl (look what that did for Butler the following season)... And DJ Foster was kept around by the team for a reason (undrafted UDFA). Patriots are getting good to SUPER production without investing heavily in that specific position/skill set.

Although the idea of the move is great...considering the state of the team...it doesn't make much sense as of right now.

Mcaffrey is a match made in heaven with all the intangibles and more specifically skill set........However..Patriots have invested (Lewis..White..DJ Foster) in that department. As you said Lewis (cheap FA) can assume lead back role (as stated Mcaffrey shouldn't be used that way) ...White (4th round pick) is coming off a historic super bowl (look what that did for Butler the following season)... And DJ Foster was kept around by the team for a reason (undrafted UDFA). Patriots are getting good to SUPER production without investing heavily in that specific position/skill set.

Although the idea of the move is great...considering the state of the team...it doesn't make much sense as of right now.

What about next off-season when Lewis and White are free agents?

What about next off-season when Lewis and White are free agents?

DJ Foster .... Resign Lewis and/or White neither will break the bank as of now.. And/or look at the bargin bin for receving 3rd down backs. The formula has worked to this point.

This is all assuming Mcaffrey is a fringe 1st round pick. If he dropped to the 3rd or 4th id love the value. IMHO, first rd and second round should be used on the defensive side of the ball. Outside shot : TE

Bill's pal Charlie Casserly mocks TE OJ Howard to us at 32.

Even if he is available there (which I doubt, unless he tests poorly at the combine), I would be surprised & disappointed if he is the choice. We need linemen on both sides of the ball, especially if both Sheard & Branch leave as FAs, and at LB if Hightower leaves, and at CB if Ryan leaves. Even if Bennett leaves, we still have Gronk (as long as his recovery is progressing as hoped), Lengel and Housler, plus the FA marketplace to scour for backups.

Interesting .. I do love O.J Howard tho..but I also agree that there are more pressing needs.

I can't say I'd be opposed to drafting OJ Howard but I do get your logic and its not wrong. Really hard to get mad at a pick before we see who is there and who is not.

Howard lasting to 32 would be a mini-miracle at this point, so don't waste too many brain cells on that possibility.

There are probably 2-3 defensive ends with varying skill sets that could be there at 32, 4-5 corners and 1-2 safeties. I think it's safe to assume we will draft in those three groupings, or trade back and pick up more draft capital to have better control over their day 3 picks.

Bill's pal Charlie Casserly mocks TE OJ Howard to us at 32.

Even if he is available there (which I doubt, unless he tests poorly at the combine), I would be surprised & disappointed if he is the choice. We need linemen on both sides of the ball, especially if both Sheard & Branch leave as FAs, and at LB if Hightower leaves, and at CB if Ryan leaves. Even if Bennett leaves, we still have Gronk (as long as his recovery is progressing as hoped), Lengel and Housler, plus the FA marketplace to scour for backups.

I see it the other way around.

1. The drop off from Howard to all other TEs is much more than 10% in my current view. He looks like the only plug&play TE with complete game. And he looks like a future Pro Bowl stud.
2. The only healthy TE currently signed for 2017 is Housler who spent all 2016 season on the street after he was released by the Bears.
3. The drop off from #32 DL to Day 3 DL (Wise, Vanderdoes, Ogunjobi etc.) at the moment is less than 10% IMHO. And no drop to currently projected Day 2 guys.

But to see Howard fall to #32 would take more than a ganja video..

This is a mixture of binkies and players I think are best fits for the Pats.

Trade Jimmy G for Bears' 2nd round, 3rd and 2018 Second rounder

1 - Tarrell Basham, EDGE, Ohio

Mike Mayock calls him a 2nd rounder and Rob Rang is 'hearing' he'll run 4.6 at the combine. Basham doesn't quite have the athleticism of Chandler Jones but to my eyes at least, there's a lot of similarities. If he gets close to 7.00 in the 3-cone, I'd have no issue taking him at the end of the first round.

2A - Budda Baker, S, Washington

One of my biggest binkies. If Basham is a not quite as good Chandler Jones, Baker is a not quite as good Mathieu. But he's good enough to be a playmaker in our secondary. I think he can be the pick if Harmon leaves, but also could replace Jordan Richards on the roster.

2B - Akhello Witherspoon, CB, Colorado

This was a really tough pick. I wanted to put Awuzie or Antonio Garcia here (and would love either) but I went with Witherspoon. His tackling is an issue which could rule him out for the Pats but his length, smooth hips and ability to get his hands on the ball make him a really intriguing quality outside CB. He did an outstanding job on John Ross in the bowl game. This pick is all about the upside.

3A - Carlos Watkins, DT, Clemson

Has the ability to be a big 3-tech and the length to be play two gap 3-4. He'd fill the role Akiem Hicks played for the Pats. I think he has the ability to be successful in the NFL.

3B - Adam Shaheen, TE, Ashland

Another upside pick. It might take him a year or two, but Shaheen could be a key part of, either, replacing a broken Gronk or forming an outstanding double headed TE monster with him. Comparisons with Travis Kelce are justified from what I've seen of him.

3C- Anthony Walker Jr, LB, Northwestern

The linebacker who most closely fits the Hightower leader/smack mouth game that I've seen so far. He's not Hightower but he has the ability to affect games and lead the defense.

4 - Kareem Hunt, RB, Toledo

Aside from size, Hunt ticks every Patriots box. Blocks very well, doesn't drop passes, doesn't fumble. Bring back Blount for a year and give Hunt the chance to bulk up to around 220.

5 - Mack Hollins, WR, UNC

A 6'4 WR with the ability to affect the game on downfield throws. a 4yr team captain on special teams (ie including his freshman year), Hollins seems like one of the top character prospects in the draft. He may never become a fully rounded WR but he'll have a chance of finding a roster spot because of his special teams.

7 - James Onwualu, LB, Notre Dame

Another high character special teamer. This is BB's Patriots after all. Hat tip to I.M. Fletcher on this one.

Guys I really like who could have easily been included:

Haason Reddick
Tyrus Bowser
Jarrad Davis
Chidobe Awuzie
Antonio Garcia
Damontae Kazee
Christian McCaffrey
Michael Roberts
Tedric Thompson

Give me Budda Baker all day. Kid has a ton of talent and heart.

Interesting mock, and a lot of favourites in there.

I keep wondering if Basham gets blackballed because of Ohios late graduation date. seems like a small thing, but it seemed to be one the major impediments of Taylor Price integrating in to the team.

Now, Price was a wideout, so the pressure to have the playbook isnt as severe, but I wonder if it raises any red flags.

Really interesting player though. Not my fav edge guy, but I like his playing style and has great hustle. I think his length seems fairly average, but we will find out in a few weeks.

Interesting mock, and a lot of favourites in there.

I keep wondering if Basham gets blackballed because of Ohios late graduation date. seems like a small thing, but it seemed to be one the major impediments of Taylor Price integrating in to the team.

Now, Price was a wideout, so the pressure to have the playbook isnt as severe, but I wonder if it raises any red flags.

Really interesting player though. Not my fav edge guy, but I like his playing style and has great hustle. I think his length seems fairly average, but we will find out in a few weeks.

6'3.5 and 33" arms at the Senior bowl. Personally I think he looks longer than that. Also weighed in at 259 but both Rob Rang and tony Pauline are talking about him being 275lb at the combine. Aside from Taco and Soloman Thomas, I like his Patriot fit more than most. My one real concern is how well he bends. the 3-cone will be big for him.

6'3.5 and 33" arms at the Senior bowl. Personally I think he looks longer than that. Also weighed in at 259 but both Rob Rang and tony Pauline are talking about him being 275lb at the combine. Aside from Taco and Soloman Thomas, I like his Patriot fit more than most. My one real concern is how well he bends. the 3-cone will be big for him.

Thats fairly average length, so probably not as an oversized end rusher, but he's by no means disqualified at that size.

I think his issue will be his flexibility and bend, but I agree that he is one of the better day 2 edge guys out there.

I am at the stage now where I keep coming back to the Bama guys, Mathis from Washington or a slight trade up for Taco. If they are going edge, I think it's worth making it a day one priority.

Thats fairly average length, so probably not as an oversized end rusher, but he's by no means disqualified at that size.

I think his issue will be his flexibility and bend, but I agree that he is one of the better day 2 edge guys out there.

I am at the stage now where I keep coming back to the Bama guys, Mathis from Washington or a slight trade up for Taco. If they are going edge, I think it's worth making it a day one priority.

Have yet to see Mathis. I'd certainly take Taco over Basham but think he goes too high. Also need to put the work in on the 'Bama guys but will probably rule out Williams. I tend to look at run defense first with BB edge guys.

Have yet to see Mathis. I'd certainly take Taco over Basham but think he goes too high. Also need to put the work in on the 'Bama guys but will probably rule out Williams. I tend to look at run defense first with BB edge guys.

I would probably agree on Williams as well. Mathis is probably not quite a day one talent, but might as well be another Bama guy with his style and size.

I think Anderson is my most likely pick at 32 right now. Not exactly my favourite prospect, and not the most exciting, but I am betting you can plug and play him in Sheard's role for the next 5 years, at at least you have one more front 7 position locked up.

My next mock will be an all-dull draft, with picks that will get no one excited, but are guys the Pats tend to draft. Can't wait to share the excitement.

I would probably agree on Williams as well. Mathis is probably not quite a day one talent, but might as well be another Bama guy with his style and size.

I think Anderson is my most likely pick at 32 right now. Not exactly my favourite prospect, and not the most exciting, but I am betting you can plug and play him in Sheard's role for the next 5 years, at at least you have one more front 7 position locked up.

My next mock will be an all-dull draft, with picks that will get no one excited, but are guys the Pats tend to draft. Can't wait to share the excitement.

What intrigues me is that you critique Basham for his average length but then suggest 3 shorter, shorter armed OLB types. Are you looking at OLBs rather than 4-3 DEs? Not criticising you, just curious as to whether we are looking at different positions.

What intrigues me is that you critique Basham for his average length but then suggest 3 shorter, shorter armed OLB types. Are you looking at OLBs rather than 4-3 DEs? Not criticising you, just curious as to whether we are looking at different positions.

I am looking at both. I think both are needs with Sheard and long free agents and Ninko a year away. I see both as significant needs, but also not wanting to overdraft either position. I think that outside of Taco, every other "elephant end' has significant question marks, while the Vrabel type role might be easier to find.

It may be a little simplistic, but it keeps me from pigeon holding certain guys, when we have multiple front seven roles to fill.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back