PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2013 Prospect Thread

Manx - Don't get caught up in putting too much into the 40 speed. Look at the entire gamut. And don't pigeon hole Banks into being a CB. A tall safety who can cover TEs would be HUGE for this defense. And, remember that he covered Quinton Patton. So that means he probably plays faster than his time. And that is also important.

A) I think you have to see the 40 time as important. Consider:

Asante Samuel 4.49
Ellis Hobbs 4.45
Terence Wheatley 4.37
Jonathan Wilhite 4.38
Darius Butler 4.41
Devin McCourty 4.38
Ras I Dowling 4.40
Alfonzo Dennard 4.48
Eugene Wilson 4.48

We've never drafted a CB that ran slower than 4.50 at the combine. Certainly things could change, but based on a previous track record, that pretty much rules out Banks for me as a CB (unless he falls to the 3rd or later).

B) Now if you are talking about Banks as a Safety, then that's a completely different matter. I'd be much happier with him in that scenario and I'd need to re-think his value in that situation.

But as a CB, I don't know why the Patriots would take Banks if the likes of Slay, Taylor, Ryan, Gratz, Trufant, and maybe Poyer are still on the board. All seem to be better fits based on track record.

A tall safety who can cover TEs would be HUGE for this defense.

I do agree with this though.

Asante Samuel 4.49
Ellis Hobbs 4.45
Terence Wheatley 4.37
Jonathan Wilhite 4.38
Darius Butler 4.41
Devin McCourty 4.38
Ras I Dowling 4.40
Alfonzo Dennard 4.48
Eugene Wilson 4.48

We've never drafted a CB that ran slower than 4.50 at the combine. Certainly things could change, but based on a previous track record, that pretty much rules out Banks for me as a CB (unless he falls to the 3rd or later).

B) Now if you are talking about Banks as a Safety, then that's a completely different matter. I'd be much happier with him in that scenario and I'd need to re-think his value in that situation.

But as a CB, I don't know why the Patriots would take Banks if the likes of Slay, Taylor, Ryan, Gratz, Trufant, and maybe Poyer are still on the board. All seem to be better fits based on track record.

Dexter McCoil

Thoughts on Marquess Wilson? Seems to be a a weaker receiver (7 reps @ 225???) but a good value if his character (quitting) concerns are deemed okay.

quick question: How come Sharrif Floyd is rising so much i watched some film on him since i mocked him to us after a trade down to 40 and he seemed like a late 1st early 2nd to me how has he risen to the possible first overall pick

quick question: How come Sharrif Floyd is rising so much i watched some film on him since i mocked him to us after a trade down to 40 and he seemed like a late 1st early 2nd to me how has he risen to the possible first overall pick

Re-watching him, I think it's that he's got the NFL combination of speed/power right now, ie. there's no projecting needed. Plug him in straight away and he'll likely only get better.

I also think he benefits from a poor year at the top of the draft. There's no way he goes top 5 next year.

Two interesting notes from the Illinois pro day:

While defensive tackle Glenn Foster was expected to be a solid free agent signing before Thursday, he is pretty much assured of being a late round pick after his Pro Day performance. At 286 pounds, Foster amazed by running a 4.78 40, vertical jumping 39 ½, broad jumping 10’9 and did 29 reps on the bench press. Although his positional workout was not as great as his testing numbers he still was significantly better than expected. He displayed surprising quickness, speed and burst during workout, although he was a little stiff changing direction and did not consistently show good reaction ability in drills.

Probably not a great fit at only 286lbs, but those are some serious numbers.

More importantly:

Although their playing styles are different, the buzz around the Illinois Pro Day was that guard Hugh Thornton was going to be one of this springs big risers, similar to Kevin Zeitler, and could work his way into the high second round. There were three offensive line coaches there to meet with Thornton and put him through the paces and he did not disappoint. Not only did he display excellent flexibility and very good all-around movement skills in the workout, but he competed with the intensity, aggressiveness and edge that line coaches’ love. A naturally powerful man, Thornton showed explosiveness in his movement and impressed with his ability to maintain base while moving around so easily during the workout. Thornton looked so athletic Thursday that sources at the workout told us they would not be surprised if he were tried as a right tackle before being tried at guard in the NFL (He played left tackle primarily in 2012 and as a freshman).

Ex-wrester to boot. Donald Thomas replacement?

Y! SPORTS

Ex-wrester to boot. Donald Thomas replacement?

Y! SPORTS

We'd be wise to keep Thomas, he's a very good player who might become a stud under Dante, and he's not likely to break the bank either.

We'd be wise to keep Thomas, he's a very good player who might become a stud under Dante, and he's not likely to break the bank either.

We'd be wise to keep a lot of players, that doesn't mean we will. He had a good year last year and wants to test FA. At what price would it be less wise to keep him I wonder?

I had thornton in my mock draft that i wrote yesterday on the mock draft thread. Shows you how ahead of the game-eroo I am.

I had thornton in my mock draft that i wrote yesterday on the mock draft thread. Shows you how ahead of the game-eroo I am.

Well played :)

Probably not a great fit at only 286lbs, but those are some serious numbers.

Re: Foster - at 6'3 5/8" tall, they could be looking at him to play Nink's position on the D-Line, which would not be unheard of..

Asante Samuel 4.49
Ellis Hobbs 4.45
Terence Wheatley 4.37
Jonathan Wilhite 4.38
Darius Butler 4.41
Devin McCourty 4.38
Ras I Dowling 4.40
Alfonzo Dennard 4.48
Eugene Wilson 4.48

I had Banks as a Safety in the Safety thread. As for the others you mentioned, I'll be honest, I don't see Gratz being a fit. Poyer is gonna be moved to safety in the NFL. I would prefer Trufant over Banks for CB, but, this is the Pats and they have been known to change their thinking.

One thing to keep in mind is that Banks has similar numbers to Sean Smith, who has become a pretty good CB in the league.

But, as I stated, I like Banks for a safety spot.

Wow, this board has been quiet.

You know, the only sleepers I've mentioned on this board that have never gotten any serious attention are UCLA corners Aaron Hester and Sheldon Price (I guess Jahleel Addae isn't getting much love either). I've got some proof to document Hester's awesomeness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eihYnR-U5ng

He allows one catch to Marquise Lee. Admittedly inconsistent tackler, but watch the play at 3:37 and tell me Hester is as slow as his 4.57 40 suggests.

Alright lets get some interesting convo's started:

Here are 2 wide reciever prospects I hope the pats pick up in the later rounds or as a UDFA

Jasper Collins, Mount Union: Hes a smaller guy but he seems to be in the mold of a guy like Cecil Shorts who also went to Mount Union. Hes pretty fast with I think was a 4.4 forty. So if we dont get Emmanuel Sanders id say go for this guy.

Check out the concentration at 7:39 Jasper Collins vs Mary Hardin-Baylor (2012) - YouTube

J.D Woods, WVU: He was the third guy behind Tavon Austin and Stedman Bailey and I believe there is some seriously untapped potential here. Hes not intended to be a burner but this guy has some serious hands. At worst hes a practice squad guy who might develope but if he can find his niche than I believe he can be a very good possession receiver

I know its a highlight film but its the only video I could find 2013 NFL Draft Prospect: J.D. Woods (WR, WVU) - YouTube

also a bonus video saying how much he likes snow :cool: Wearing the Jersey: J.D. Woods - YouTube

great find with J.D Woods I'd love to get him in the later rounds looks like he has huge hands and is a good physical WR very impressed

Potential UDFA Woodhead replacement?

Sam McGuffie (RB/WR, Rice) had a monster regional combine:

4.28 40
41.5" Vert
11.2 Broad
3.8 Shuttle

Sam Mcguffie Rice highlights halfback - YouTube

Sam McGuffie Jumps Again and Again and Again - YouTube

It's not like he's a midget either at 5-10, 198.

Had his pro day today:

Sam McGuffie #Rice #ProDay: 5-11, 201, 4.36 hand 4.37 Electronic, 11'2" Broadjump, 26 reps, 39.5" Vertical. #NFLDRAFT #FreakAthlete

https://twitter.com/lifesyourcup/status/313761193162596352

No mention of Patriot attendance.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots