PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2014 Draft Prospect Thread

Good thing is, is that he'd have a year to get comfortable behind Vereen and Ridley.

I really like McKinnon as a developmental prospect. Physically, he's got the makings of an ideal RB: sturdy build and a combination of strength, burst and quick-cut agility. But I also love his attitude, and the way he was willing to do anything his college team asked of him. Unlike a lot of guys labeled "ATH," he's a real football player.

I really like McKinnon as a developmental prospect. Physically, he's got the makings of an ideal RB: sturdy build and a combination of strength, burst and quick-cut agility. But I also love his attitude, and the way he was willing to do anything his college team asked of him. Unlike a lot of guys labeled "ATH," he's a real football player.

What are your thoughts on Lorenzo Taliaferro? Looks much bigger than he measures and has impressive timed athleticism for his size and was immensely productive last year.

Aaron Lynch, DE South Florida – I am not sure if you all caught Lynch’s pro day results but these are them.

Height: 6050
Weight: 249
40 Yard Dash: 4.69
20 Yard Dash: 2.63
10 Yard Dash: 1.52
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 18
Vertical Jump: 29
Broad Jump: 09'09"
20 Yard Shuttle: 4.61
3-Cone Drill: 7.46

The 1.52 10-yard is off the charts impressive, he is some kind of explosive.

We may as well talk about the possibility of a center in round 1. Both Mike Reiss and Tony Pauline have put it out there in recent days that Weston Richburg is drawing heavy interest from the Pats (as well as others) and could be a surprise first round pick, similar to Frederick last year.

Now I like Richburg but I don't want a center in round 1 (ever really) but particularly in a draft as deep as this where you can pick up an impact game changer at 29. People seem to think he can be an Alex Mack calibre centre though.

Jacksonville have just tried to sign Mack to a ridiculous deal so they obviously value the center position. Could see them trading up to 29 with us (if we don't take him).

Last edited:
Aaron Lynch, DE South Florida – I am not sure if you all caught Lynch’s pro day results but these are them.

Height: 6050
Weight: 249
40 Yard Dash: 4.69
20 Yard Dash: 2.63
10 Yard Dash: 1.52
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 18
Vertical Jump: 29
Broad Jump: 09'09"
20 Yard Shuttle: 4.61
3-Cone Drill: 7.46

The 1.52 10-yard is off the charts impressive, he is some kind of explosive.

That 29" vertical jump and 7.46/4.61 3-cone/SS on the other hand. Can he even change direction?

Now I like Richburg but I don't want a center in round 1 (ever really) but particularly in a draft as deep as this where you can pick up an impact game changer at 29. People seem to think he can be an Alex Mack calibre centre though.

If he's that good, though, he'd be worth a late first-rounder.

That 29" vertical jump and 7.46/4.61 3-cone/SS on the other hand. Can he even change direction?
It does not appear so, but as a late round prospect, he might make for an interesting speed rusher for sub packages.

What's everyones view on Scott Crichton? I haven't seen many defensive ends like him and he seems to be one of the most disruptive players I have seen in the entire draft. I don't know how he'll do in the nfl, but right now I put his disruption at the snap on par with Donald and Easley.

Here's what NFL.com thinks of Richburg:

Round 3-4 talent and this:
At worst, should stick as a backup, but has developmental value and starter potential in a zone scheme. Could help himself by proving versatile enough to back up at guard.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/weston-richburg?id=2543705

Totally different kind of player to Alex Mack and talk of him being as good is preposterous and where has that been said? He's too small, not athletic enough and seemingly lacks the strength to dominate in the run game. "Pot Roast" would have a field day with him, as would Kenrick Ellis.

Where as Marcus Martin is not only already much bigger (320lbs) he has longer arms, has a wider build and can have his weaknesses ironed out (soft puncher, bends at the waist).

Gabe Ikard could be another good choice, a very smart player which makes up for his lack of quickness.

A wildcard too: Joel Bitonio. Seen on here someone bringing up the idea of Mankins moving to Center with Bitonio at Guard but having it the other way round could also work.

What's everyones view on Scott Crichton? I haven't seen many defensive ends like him and he seems to be one of the most disruptive players I have seen in the entire draft. I don't know how he'll do in the nfl, but right now I put his disruption at the snap on par with Donald and Easley.

Here is how I personally see Critchton. He is the last of the quality starting DEs. Every other DE below him has some kind of question mark. Chritchton does not. While not as talented as Clowney or even Ealy; he brings the size, length, explosiveness and bend/change of direction to have an immediate impact.

I see him as a perennial fringe probowler who will always just miss the cut by 2-3 spots. I expect his stat line to be about 10 sacks with twice as many hurries. He has the strength to play against the run and he never takes a play off. Overall, if he is your #1 DE that is not a good thing. If he is your #2 that is fantastic.

I don't think that Crichton would be even close to a fantastic #2.

Well have their been better #2s? Sure. But if he is your #2 you have SB caliber DEs. I think that is great.

Last edited:
What is everyone's opinion on Daniel McCullers? I know that he is raw, but he would be a good prospect for a 4th round pick IMO. He is pretty athletic for a guy his size (6'7 and 360lbs) and has 37 inch arms! If he gets coached up how to use his hands/arms and play with leverage, this guy could be a dominant run stuffer.

He needs some serious technique work though...

What is everyone's opinion on Daniel McCullers? I know that he is raw, but he would be a good prospect for a 4th round pick IMO. He is pretty athletic for a guy his size (6'7 and 360lbs) and has 37 inch arms! If he gets coached up how to use his hands/arms and play with leverage, this guy could be a dominant run stuffer.

I might not complain if we got him in the 4th or later. The guy is slower than Frankenstein, he's a run stuffer, nothing more.

Last edited:
What are your thoughts on Lorenzo Taliaferro? Looks much bigger than he measures and has impressive timed athleticism for his size and was immensely productive last year.
Since you didn't get an answer, I'll provide you with my thoughts. My thought is that he becomes a consideration for us with his 3-cone time. I didn't see any Coastal Carolina games but I've watched whatever video I could get my hands on since I've had to start scouting RB's in my free time after Blount departed for Pittsburgh. As an early down, downhill style RB, he would work. He's pretty patient at allowing his lanes to open and good at following his blockers when they do. He'd be a nice goal line and short yardage situation back, but that's about it. I don't see him contributing in the passing game much, if at all. I think the Pats would want a more versatile RB.

Extremely raw and needs a ton of work. Ideally a guy you want on the bench for a year learning the game and the system. The main issue I see with McCullers is his pad level. He needs to get lower when he engages a blocker. All too often I've seen him get stood straight up and driven back against the run. If he learns to consistently keep his pad level lower (hard for a guy that size that's built up such a habit), he could be dominant.

Here is how I personally see Critchton. He is the last of the quality starting DEs. Every other DE below him has some kind of question mark. Chritchton does not. While not as talented as Clowney or even Ealy; he brings the size, length, explosiveness and bend/change of direction to have an immediate impact.

I totally love the power and violence Crichton plays with and the way he uses his arms. If I could draft the top half of his body I would. But I don't see the explosiveness or change of direction talent you do, either on the field or in measurables and workouts. His hips are incredibly stiff, and I see no burst in his legs. As impressive as his strengths are, I think his athletic limitations will reduce the roles he can fill in the NFL.

Today's big Patriot rumour is:

The Patriots are among teams showing the greatest amount of interest in BYU outside linebacker Kyle Van Noy, DraftInsider.net’s Tony Pauline reported Friday. The Atlanta Falcons, Detroit Lions, San Diego Chargers, Jacksonville Jaguars and Baltimore Ravens also have shown interest in selecting the versatile defender in the 2014 NFL draft.

I always liked Van Noy's fit as a Patriot in terms of character and play style. Less sure about his value and athleticism but would still really like the pick.

Plenty of other contacts:

Pauline also reports that the Patriots attended Mississippi State quarterback Tyler Russell’s passing clinic on Thursday. Mississippi State defensive lineman Denico Autry, who was not invited to the NFL Scouting Combine, was one of 30 prospects hosted by the Patriots on pre-draft visits to Gillette Stadium.

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2014/04/report-patriots-showing-pre-draft-interest-in-linebacker-kyle-van-noy/

Marcus Lucas :D hope he gets picked up as an UDFA or even in the 7th round.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back