PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2013 Prospect Thread

I'm just kind of thinking out loud here, but I think this is going to be the most unpredictable draft in years. It doesn't have a lot of elite talent at the top, but it has great depth and I don't see too much difference in talent between #15-75. Some guys will surprise by going higher than expected and some guys touted as 2nd round picks will fall to the 4th. I think this is the perfect draft so sit back, let it unfold then be aggressive if someone falls. I've been in favor of trading out of the 1st for a while, and there are very few players I would prefer to take at 29 rather than trade down. There is one potential option that is becoming more intriguing to me.

Early on in the draft process when Jarvis Jones was considered a top 5 pick, there where whispers that he would fall on draft day because he isn't a workout warrior and won't test well. Add in to that injury concerns and it seems to be the case. I'm not sure if he will fall to 29, but if he does I would certainly have to think hard about taking him. If this were to happen I think the perfect scenario for me would be to trade Spikes, move Hightower to MLB and play Jones at SLB. I think it would add an extra dimension to our pass rush and improve our speed and athletecism at LBer. Now if Star Lotulelei fell and was cleared by the Pats doctors and we could pick him up in the late 1st or early 2nd (trade Mallett, Vollmer?) then that would be the absolute dream 4-3 Under Defense for me. Arguably two of the top 3 prospects a few months ago, now who knows where they will end up.

Now the chances of these things happening are pretty slim, but my main thought is that guys that are rated highly now are going to slip, and we are going to have a shot at some guys we don't expect. It will just be interesting to see how it all plays out and I can't believe its still over a month and a half away.

I'm just kind of thinking out loud here, but I think this is going to be the most unpredictable draft in years. It doesn't have a lot of elite talent at the top, but it has great depth and I don't see too much difference in talent between #15-75. Some guys will surprise by going higher than expected and some guys touted as 2nd round picks will fall to the 4th. I think this is the perfect draft so sit back, let it unfold then be aggressive if someone falls. I've been in favor of trading out of the 1st for a while, and there are very few players I would prefer to take at 29 rather than trade down. There is one potential option that is becoming more intriguing to me.

Early on in the draft process when Jarvis Jones was considered a top 5 pick, there where whispers that he would fall on draft day because he isn't a workout warrior and won't test well. Add in to that injury concerns and it seems to be the case. I'm not sure if he will fall to 29, but if he does I would certainly have to think hard about taking him. If this were to happen I think the perfect scenario for me would be to trade Spikes, move Hightower to MLB and play Jones at SLB. I think it would add an extra dimension to our pass rush and improve our speed and athletecism at LBer. Now if Star Lotulelei fell and was cleared by the Pats doctors and we could pick him up in the late 1st or early 2nd (trade Mallett, Vollmer?) then that would be the absolute dream 4-3 Under Defense for me. Arguably two of the top 3 prospects a few months ago, now who knows where they will end up.

Now the chances of these things happening are pretty slim, but my main thought is that guys that are rated highly now are going to slip, and we are going to have a shot at some guys we don't expect. It will just be interesting to see how it all plays out and I can't believe its still over a month and a half away.

There's two lines of thinking here:

1. It's almost a certainty we trade down in the 1st round because of the depth of this draft and our lack of draft picks. Even before the combine, I was preparing myself not to get excited for Day 1 of the draft because I was certain we wouldn't make a pick at #29.

2. Because of the depth of this draft, it makes it more likely a player the Pats love will fall to #29. The draft is so deep, draft boards will look VERY different. There will be many more "surprises" than the normal draft. Back in 2010, many here had the Pats taking Tyson Alualu in the middle of the 2nd round. He went #10 overall. There will probably be many more examples like that this year. For every surprise, that means a player has fallen. Will we stay put and take one of the fallers?

It really is the perfect draft for me because I don't have that one player I want the Pats to take. It's so deep, there's so many options, it just makes it really exciting.

agree with you wilfork i think there could be the possibility of someone we thought would be an early third falling to later third or the other way around and if star is there at 29 im taking him no questions hopefully we can trade mallett for a 2nd and try and get someone like banks then a Wr then brown/greene and then our 7th round could be walter stewart and and safety or what not the possibilities of this draft are endless and i think we will have a lot more picks than we do now if we nail this draft we will be good for a long time

Too small too light too slow. Supposedly has a bad attitude. Too weak too. And that's a first round pick?

Are we talking about Damontre Moore who is 6'4 4/8" tall, weighed in at 250 lbs, with 34 3/4" long arms? Where do you get that he's too small or too light to play DE in the 4-3?

Where do you get that he has a bad attitude?

I'm indifferent on the kid, but don't throw up BS about him just because you don't like him..

I think there's going to be some head-shaking picks. Won't mean they're wrong. Just unexpected. The Top 10 is usually pretty easy to mock by now. This year is crazy. Lotulelei's and Jones's medicals are impossible to calculate in. I've seen Damontre Moore mocked 2-5 in most mocks prior to the combine. This morning Gil Brandt tweeted that he doesn't have him in his 1st round!! The top WR(Patterson) has played one year of D-1 football. Joeckel, Warmack and Fisher might be the three best players in this draft. And, they are offensive linemen.

agree with you wilfork i think there could be the possibility of someone we thought would be an early third falling to later third or the other way around and if star is there at 29 im taking him no questions hopefully we can trade mallett for a 2nd and try and get someone like banks then a Wr then brown/greene and then our 7th round could be walter stewart and and safety or what not the possibilities of this draft are endless and i think we will have a lot more picks than we do now if we nail this draft we will be good for a long time

Banks looks like more of a Safety with his 4.61 40.
We'll probably look more at speedier guys at the CB position like
Trufant, Jamar Taylor, etc.

Taylor has no strength and is below average against the run, but his quickness is ridiculous and his instincts in coverage are good

Taylor has no strength and is below average against the run, but his quickness is ridiculous and his instincts in coverage are good

Most bench reps amongst CB's suggests otherwise.

i do like trufant a lot and wouldnt mind him either trufant or banks will most likely be at 29 so i hope its 1 of them or a trade down. I think Banks is a very good cb and would be great on this team but trufant is a pick i could get behind as well

i do like trufant a lot and wouldnt mind him either trufant or banks will most likely be at 29 so i hope its 1 of them or a trade down. I think Banks is a very good cb and would be great on this team but trufant is a pick i could get behind as well

Banks is an interesting pick. Looked good on film which matters a lot. Reminds me of Talib size wise but that 4.61 40 is scary. I guess his pro day is Wednesday so we'll see what he does.

Pretty confident young man claiming he can cover any wr in the NFL including Megatron. Confidence is a big part of being a CB but he might be a little over the top here. Still like to see that in players though.

NFL prospect and Mississippi State product Johnthan Banks says he can cover Detroit Lions WR Calvin Johnson - NFL News | FOX Sports on MSN

Banks is an interesting pick. Looked good on film which matters a lot. Reminds me of Talib size wise but that 4.61 40 is scary. I guess his pro day is Wednesday so we'll see what he does.

Pretty confident young man claiming he can cover any wr in the NFL including Megatron. Confidence is a big part of being a CB but he might be a little over the top here. Still like to see that in players though.

NFL prospect and Mississippi State product Johnthan Banks says he can cover Detroit Lions WR Calvin Johnson - NFL News | FOX Sports on MSN

FWIW, he says the toughest WR he had to cover..and bear in mind he's had to cover Alshon Jeffrey, Julio Jones and AJ Green...was Quinton Patton.

manx ive said that a few times and i love that just makes me want patton even more and yeah its hard to argue against tape but the 4.61 is a little concerning all this draft talk gets me way to excited especially patton and a few others

manx ive said that a few times and i love that just makes me want patton even more and yeah its hard to argue against tape but the 4.61 is a little concerning all this draft talk gets me way to excited especially patton and a few others

That 4.61 bothers me quite a lot. I love his length (and I don't say that about men very often :eek: ) but with the likes of Jamar Taylor, Darius Slay and others available in the 2nd or 3rd, I don't think it's worth taking a risk on a CB with that lack of speed.

That 4.61 bothers me quite a lot. I love his length (and I don't say that about men very often :eek: ) but with the likes of Jamar Taylor, Darius Slay and others available in the 2nd or 3rd, I don't think it's worth taking a risk on a CB with that lack of speed.

fair enough do you think the 3rd round is a likely place to take someone like slay, logan ryan or mcfadden since the 2nd will be a good spot for WR's?

fair enough do you think the 3rd round is a likely place to take someone like slay, logan ryan or mcfadden since the 2nd will be a good spot for WR's?

Depending on who's there with the first pick, I'd trade back into the 2nd and take a WR and CB. I would LOVE Mcfadden in the third but I'm not sure we'll take him unfortunately - he's more of an off-man guy than a press corner. Still a better cover guy than anyone else we've talked about though.

Two guys that should be considered that haven't been talked about: Will Davis and Dwayne Gratz. Two of the better 3 cone guys and that's an important consideration when considering a Pats pick - at almost any position but especially CB.

Manx - Don't get caught up in putting too much into the 40 speed. Look at the entire gamut. And don't pigeon hole Banks into being a CB. A tall safety who can cover TEs would be HUGE for this defense. And, remember that he covered Quinton Patton. So that means he probably plays faster than his time. And that is also important.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back