PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Idle thoughts - The "cracks in the armor" edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need a safety or corner to spy on Jackson, not a lb.

That's fair. I'd just like Jackson to get a taste of what it feels like to be a RB or WR when he's out there running like one. Plus that was old Jamie Collins, not new and improved beast mode.

There is a difference between Jackson getting laid out by a LB and him being spied.. I think that if the Patriots use the same plans they used back in the early 2000s against Vick and Big Ben, then they can shut Jackson down and pummel him. If they lose edge containment and don't have someone with the agility to get to him, then he'll abuse the defense with his legs..

That being said, I could also see Jackson coughing up the ball on some of the runss

Collins can't keep up with Jackson. I don't think we have the perfect spy.

That's why I'm saying DMac or JMac. I think that they are the closest things we have. They can get to Jackson, wrap him up, slow him down for others to get there. And that's what the Pats need.

TB12’s stats are laughably unfair in light of what he’s dealing with, especially because he throws the ball away so much instead of taking sacks.

Thats kind of an interesting question.

For one game, would you rather have a player with 20 caries, 130yds and he fumbles twice accounting for basically 14 lost points OR 21 carries, 74yds, 0 fumbles and a handful of 1st down runs.

Seems easy to me

I would like an RB that had 20 6.5 yard runs...with zero fumbles.

Maybe it's fantasy football or Barry Sanders but Chubb first three carries were for 72 yards.

They got nothing out of it besides a fumble.......then what?

Way too many people here are way too ignorant to realize that one play (or a drive) makes NOT a full game plan.

Again, as of last week, the Patriots led the league in scoring.

That's why I'm saying DMac or JMac. I think that they are the closest things we have. They can get to Jackson, wrap him up, slow him down for others to get there. And that's what the Pats need.
Chung?

The comment by our esteemed scribe that Sony Michel was a mistake is completely off target. My how quickly we forget. Sony Michel was stellar last season. Chubb is good, but would struggle all the same behind the Patriots current offensive line. We must not forget that FB James Develin is on IR. He was such a critical part of the blocking scheme in the run game.

The Patriots desperately miss Andrews, Wynn and Mason. Two of them should be back, and I'll be holding my breath that they stay healthy.

If there is good to come out of this situation, it is that Karras, Ferentz, and Thuney have gotten valuable experience in various positions along the line in this stretch that will help them be better players going forward. Marshall Newhouse appears to be improving, but he is no Trent Brown or Solder. His best role is to be Wynn's platoon or backup going forward.

If the offensive line can stabilize, the offense will click. Brady was dealing with a messy or collapsing pocket last night that led to so many poor throws or bail-outs. Give him another 1.5 to 2 seconds and he'll be back to his devastating self in no time.

Last edited:

I don't think that Chung has the agility, honestly. Among the Safeties and Linebackers, I think that only JMac or DMac have the combination of speed and agility to properly spy Jackson.

Again, it's not a knock against our guys. It's an acknowledgement of just how scary good Jackson is as a runner.

I don't remember who it was that the Pats had as the "Spy" on Vick and Big Ben.

I don't think that Chung has the agility, honestly. Among the Safeties and Linebackers, I think that only JMac or DMac have the combination of speed and agility to properly spy Jackson.

Again, it's not a knock against our guys. It's an acknowledgement of just how scary good Jackson is as a runner.

Chung is used to cover TEs and he has 20 #s on McCourty's, plus he's a helluva tackler.

Jackson is about same weight as Chung. I understand goal is to catch him since he'll probably slide once you do, but the guy is also a bruiser.

Just watched abbreviate game versus Seahawks, guy has some wheels on him, scary fast for such a big dude. It'll be a challenge, but BB will know what to do, of that I'm positive. Can't wait.

I don't disagree, if it was all about speed and quickness. But I wonder if the McCourty's will be plan B for Bill. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Pats start out trying to work with Collins as the "spy" Collins has proven to be a an excellent open field tackler this season.

The Ravens are going to want to run against our nickel defense. It will require the Pats to be more stout than what the Chargers used last season. Jackson has improved as a passer, and has some deep threats that have to be respected. So rather than go DB heavy like SD used, they go LB heavy and try and do that way. THEN if that doesn't work, go to "plan B"

Tom Brady has 9 more TD's to throw to overtake Peyton Manning on the all-time list. I seem to remember all the pomp and circumstance when Manning was about to eclipse Favre. They're not doing that with Brady which is odd. You'd figure being so close to breaking the record that it would be bigger news.
They're making arrangements to stop the game and have Favre present him the record breaking ball.

Silly question: when was the last time TB12 has thrown 4 Tds in a RS game? I know he's got major problems with the OL this year, but I'd love to see at least one 350 yds 4 Tds 0 Ints game this year... Reasonable expectations?

Silly question: when was the last time TB12 has thrown 4 Tds in a RS game? I know he's got major problems with the OL this year, but I'd love to see at least one 350 yds 4 Tds 0 Ints game this year... Reasonable expectations?
Week 17 of last season vs the NYJ. 4 TDs and 0 INTs.

I wouldn't call it reasonable. The offense as a whole isn't nearly explosive enough. I'm happy when we have 2-4 drives per game where we move methodically down the field.

I wouldn't call it reasonable. The offense as a whole isn't nearly explosive enough. I'm happy when we have 2-4 drives per game where we move methodically down the field.

But I do wonder what is the ceiling for this year's offense. After Flash-Brown-Thomas mishaps we look a bit fragile, but I think there's considerable upside between OL's coaching, returns from injury (Shaq, Wynn, Harry) and Sanu getting acquainted with the system. I just wish TB12 will get comfortable again and his stats will reflect this, especially in the postseason when 30+ points from offense might be needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News