PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 100% Official, You are the Pats GM, What You Would Do with Jimmy Garoppolo Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm leaning towards a straight up trade for Gino Smith

I think they are comfortable with Jacoby as the backup and I think the Patriots are better with Jacoby as the backup and the picks from the trade vs having Jimmy just one more year. I would even take the Browns second and third this year for him (if that is the highest offer)

I would want more, I want the #12 pick from the browns. And more. The pats used a 2nd round pick on Jimmy, he has shown he can play, and he has been trained at an NFL level. If the Pats trade him for a 2 and a 4 or something like that.. then BB doesn't think very much of Jimmy.

Since his trade value will never be higher for the Patriots,
Trade The JAG this spring
IF...
Coaches think my man Bisquick has strong backup potential (at minimum); I believe this to be so
AND...
You get the minimum of a top 12 pick this spring
PLUS a 4th or better next season

As GM I'd be asking for a 1st and a 2nd plus a 5th to open negotiations
I'd expect the high 1st plus a 3rd; swallow hard and accept a 4th to close the deal at worst

* I assume that TFB exits his SB victory without a serious injury

One thing for sure, we are going to know how they feel about Brisset come draft time.

I believe Jimmy G will be traded prior to the draft. I would want a mid first round pick and an additional pick (possibly round 4) this year as well as a 2nd round pick next year (possibly conditional to a first based on what Jimmy G does).

I don't see TB12 slowing down anytime soon. Unless BB thinks that Jimmy G can beat out Brady for the starting job prior to TB12's contract ending, I would want to maximize Brady's chances of winning titles next year, 2018 and 2019.

I think Jimmy G will be a good starter in this league, maybe even a Pro Bowler some day. I do not think he is a top 10 QB in the league now. But I do think he should be starting. I am all for the insurance for Brady, but after 2017, I feel that cap space can be better spent elsewhere building the roster depth.

QB isn't like other positions. A team does not need two "franchise QB's". This is not college; BB isn't going to alternate them drives. I would love for Jimmy G to sign a super cheap contract and try to wait Brady out, but I don't think he will do that.

I can't think of anybody who's posted a better game and a half among active backups. (2 starts, partial action in a total of 6 games).

If somebody's giving us a high first AND someone else (4th?) for that...

AND If there's REALLY a QB shortage that will cause people to lose their minds...

(...and NFL teams really lose their minds a lot, you have to admit...)

Barring a (God forbid) Brady-ending injury... or an urge to "go out on top" with 6 rings or something... I don't know how this ends other than in a trade... but it will depend on what we really can get, once real-live NFL GMs sniff around him.

I'm riding Brady until it's apparent he's physically incapable of playing football so given that qualification, I'd look at trading JAG for the best offer.

Trade him. They like Brissett more. I like JG but I can't say I would argue with them.

Absolute minimum I would take would be high #2 from Cleveland, Chicago, SF + their (presumably high) #2 next year. Two 2s, Two 3s this year and Two 2s next year. It would set us up for two years of extra picks and get a significant dividend on the original late #2 used on JG. Of course, I would try hard to get more. This is a strong year, though, for edge rushers and TE.

Yes, it’s another Garoppolo thread, but with a difference! For bye week fun, let’s get it on the record. Lots of back and forth here, with MOST, I think, being pretty reasonable about how much we don’t know. But there are some of the usual suspects (cough) who are stating absolutely and unequivocally what the Pats can or can not get for him.

So, eventually Garoppolo will leave, or not. If YOU were the Pats GM this year, what would you do? In this thread, say 1) whether or not you would try to trade JG this year, and 2) in the event of a trade, the MINIMUM you would accept (even if your choice would be to keep him, if someone offered their entire draft for 10 years, you’d move him.)

My personal view is that while comps can sometimes be helpful, in other ways they’re so so limited. Every guy is different. Meaning, it’s completely fair to question how much we can draw from JG’s small playing sample by pointing to other QBs who briefly flashed before burning out, but the opposite is also true—you wouldn’t have been able to cite a lot of 6th rounders who became Tom Brady.

Long way of saying, who knows. But on any trade, all it takes is ONE GM who thinks Jimmy’s the real deal, his franchise guy, to bring in a bounty.

So….if I’m GM of the Pats:

--I hold on to JG next year. This would be my first choice. I realize there’s more leverage trading him now, but I’d rather keep him for another year.

--I wouldn’t trade him for less than a first PLUS a second or third. (Note that I’m not saying the Pats would get this kind of offer, because then we’re trying to read the mind of dozens of GMs. I’m saying I wouldn’t trade him this offseason for less than that.)

If you’ve been involved in any of the other threads discussing JG, you must get on the record here. @Ian says I can ban anyone who doesn’t comply. (That last part may not be true.)

What say you??
If we are going by what the Vikings did for Bradford then I say a second and fourth this year and a first next season. Or a third and fourth this year and possibly a first for next season. To me it seems a bit unrealistic, but here is why. We are basing Jimmy's performance on one and a half games. Bradford at least had a couple seasons as a starter. Now I am not saying Bradford is the better QB, however, I am a somewhat rational fan (somewhat). And putting myself in the shoes of other GM's who desperately need a QB and a few come to mind. I also have to think about the future, if I am the Browns I want my first this year. I would need my picks to build a line to protect Jimmy. Jimmy still has one year left on his rookie contract, it would be beneficial for me as a GM, I could use his performance as a future bargaining chip (or he could use it as well). however, Joe Thomas is imo, the most dominant LT in the game right now, so I would to build around to keep Jimmy (if he goes to Cleveland) clean. But we don't know how much longer Thomas will be the top at his position. However, with Cleveland having two first round picks and 2 seconds. I could wheel and deal at least one of those picks this year. I would keep the number 1 overall, because we know the Pats would just use that to get future picks.

I'm riding Brady until it's apparent he's physically incapable of playing football so given that qualification, I'd look at trading JAG for the best offer.

Sorry, sudden Steven Hawking at QB mental image

hawking-patriots.jpg

Absolute minimum I would take would be high #2 from Cleveland, Chicago, SF + their (presumably high) #2 next year. Two 2s, Two 3s this year and Two 2s next year. It would set us up for two years of extra picks and get a significant dividend on the original late #2 used on JG. Of course, I would try hard to get more. This is a strong year, though, for edge rushers and TE.

I doubt we get 2 2nd rnd picks and 2 3rd rnd picks. But I would definitely take that. Those are 4 picks in the sweet spot of the draft. So if we get 2 good/great players out of the deal that would be great.

Trade him and tell the press conference that I did it because his name is hard to pronounce

I doubt we get 2 2nd rnd picks and 2 3rd rnd picks. But I would definitely take that. Those are 4 picks in the sweet spot of the draft. So if we get 2 good/great players out of the deal that would be great.
I meant I would take two (high) 2s for JG.

The reference to two 3s was the accumulation of picks, we already have two 3s (ours and the soon to be official comp pick for Collins).

Keep him

I'm not worried about how long Brady can physically hold up. I'm worried about how long the team lets him.

I bet for the guys who build the team, playing Brady right now is similar to how you'd feel driving a car with a gas light on. It might go 50 miles, it might go 5. Impossible to say. I want Brady to be the QB until his arm falls off, but as long as we have a capable backup I'd like to keep him.

Never know when he might be called on

I'd take him out to dinner and just stare at him, because he's so dreamy...

18934679.gif

Ok, I wouldn't do that. But I'd decide on whether he or Brissett was to be the QBOTF. If it's JAG, I'd find a way to keep him around. If it's Brissett (or neither), I'd trade JAG as soon as the season ended.

I see a lot of non-Patriots fans being appalled at a potential "Garropolo for a first round pick and more" trade. They always point to Matt Cassel, Ryan Mallett and Brian Hoyer and claim that Belichick just makes QBs look good and trading a first round pick for Garropolo is a huge mistake, etc.

I personally feel like Garropolo is way better than Cassel, Mallett and Hoyer were. The first two games where he played against Arizona and Miami were very good, almost Brady-esque. He made through his reads fast and released the ball very fast, didn't make a lot of bad throws. He is also more mobile than Brady. While his sample size is small and he isn't as good as Brady yet, I think he is already a very good QB in the NFL, and if it weren't for the fact that Brady is still playing out of his mind and doesn't seem to slow down any time soon I would have actually favored keeping Garropolo over Brady. I feel like a lot of people didn't watch the first two Patriots games and they don't realize just how good Garropolo was. Compare him to Brissett you'd see a huge difference (no hate against Brissett, he's still a rookie and obviously raw).

If I were the Patriots GM I would trade Garropolo for nothing less than a top 10 pick and a fourth round pick. I truly believe that this is a plausible trade and one of SF, Chicago and Cleveland would pull the trigger on this trade. Maybe even Arizona will make a trade with their 13th pick. The QB class this year is really lackluster and Washington will 99% keep Kirk Cousins. They don't have any options unless they decide to tank for next year's draft.

I see a lot of non-Patriots fans being appalled at a potential "Garropolo for a first round pick and more" trade. They always point to Matt Cassel, Ryan Mallett and Brian Hoyer and claim that Belichick just makes QBs look good and trading a first round pick for Garropolo is a huge mistake, etc.

I personally feel like Garropolo is way better than Cassel, Mallett and Hoyer were. The first two games where he played against Arizona and Miami were very good, almost Brady-esque. He made through his reads fast and released the ball very fast, didn't make a lot of bad throws. He is also more mobile than Brady. While his sample size is small and he isn't as good as Brady yet, I think he is already a very good QB in the NFL, and if it weren't for the fact that Brady is still playing out of his mind and doesn't seem to slow down any time soon I would have actually favored keeping Garropolo over Brady. I feel like a lot of people didn't watch the first two Patriots games and they don't realize just how good Garropolo was. Compare him to Brissett you'd see a huge difference (no hate against Brissett, he's still a rookie and obviously raw).

If I were the Patriots GM I would trade Garropolo for nothing less than a top 10 pick and a fourth round pick. I truly believe that this is a plausible trade and one of SF, Chicago and Cleveland would pull the trigger on this trade. Maybe even Arizona will make a trade with their 13th pick. The QB class this year is really lackluster and Washington will 99% keep Kirk Cousins. They don't have any options unless they decide to tank for next year's draft.

Most fans are idiots. And are also incredibly jealous and also because there so pissed and jealous they turn into ******s. I have witnessed this first hand, and its sometimes its so bad that I am wondering if the fan is just trolling me or if he is actually being truthful with me.

They HATE Brady.. hatem..

It really comes down to how well he does in practice week-to-week and only the coaches and players really know that. Unfortunately he doesn't have a lot of live game experience. In the game and a half that he played, he looked fantastic but is that a good representation of his level of play?

From what I've seen and heard, Jimmy appears to be on a higher level than the many JAG QBs who have through NE (Hoyer, Mallett, etc.). I know it sounds rediculous in many people's mind, for BB to demand a 1st and a 4th for an unproven backup, but that might be an honest evaluation.

Last edited:
Trade him to the Browns for 2 2nds and a 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back