PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 100% Official, You are the Pats GM, What You Would Do with Jimmy Garoppolo Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

aluminum seats

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Yes, it’s another Garoppolo thread, but with a difference! For bye week fun, let’s get it on the record. Lots of back and forth here, with MOST, I think, being pretty reasonable about how much we don’t know. But there are some of the usual suspects (cough) who are stating absolutely and unequivocally what the Pats can or can not get for him.

So, eventually Garoppolo will leave, or not. If YOU were the Pats GM this year, what would you do? In this thread, say 1) whether or not you would try to trade JG this year, and 2) in the event of a trade, the MINIMUM you would accept (even if your choice would be to keep him, if someone offered their entire draft for 10 years, you’d move him.)

My personal view is that while comps can sometimes be helpful, in other ways they’re so so limited. Every guy is different. Meaning, it’s completely fair to question how much we can draw from JG’s small playing sample by pointing to other QBs who briefly flashed before burning out, but the opposite is also true—you wouldn’t have been able to cite a lot of 6th rounders who became Tom Brady.

Long way of saying, who knows. But on any trade, all it takes is ONE GM who thinks Jimmy’s the real deal, his franchise guy, to bring in a bounty.

So….if I’m GM of the Pats:

--I hold on to JG next year. This would be my first choice. I realize there’s more leverage trading him now, but I’d rather keep him for another year.

--I wouldn’t trade him for less than a first PLUS a second or third. (Note that I’m not saying the Pats would get this kind of offer, because then we’re trying to read the mind of dozens of GMs. I’m saying I wouldn’t trade him this offseason for less than that.)

If you’ve been involved in any of the other threads discussing JG, you must get on the record here. @Ian says I can ban anyone who doesn’t comply. (That last part may not be true.)

What say you??

Last edited:
Said before and will say again at this point cause i am so confident in Brady to play past 2 years at this level I am more willing to deal but i only do it for good value. I need at least 1500 draft point. (7th overall pick or picks equal to that) or I don't do it. If more all the better but less I hang up.

I did have it at 3000 points before but seeing Brady play I have become more comfortable with the idea of letting him walk. However 1500 is baseline and will not go lower cause that is what i believe a young promising QB is worth and I would not deal him for less. Rather have the insurance policy cause that is valuable too.

Two words. Ricky. Williams. Trade. (yeah, I know)

Jimmy Garoppolo for every pick the other team has.

That's my opening position. There's precedent and JG offers more value than RW.

Get Ditka on the phone!

I've posted this in 34 different places so what the hell.

Assuming my evaluation of Brissett is that he projects to be a QB2 in 2017 and not the second coming of
Ryan Mallett...

Trade. Starting asking price is 1st this year and 1st next year. Of course they won't get it but I might settle for a mid 1st rounder AND a younger impact player on defense that will fit in the system. I might also settle for a 1st and a 2nd rounder next year.

Trading Jimmy is a big deal. Hes a quality backup with an unknown ceiling. If a team out there projects him to be a ProBowler then they will pay for one.

I keep him. With a 40 year old QB its nice to have a solid back up because you never know. The picks are not worth it considering BB would trade them into 12 4th and 6th rounders which I understand has value but the value of a competent QB in this league almost has no price tag. A QB like Brady can cover up the flaws of any team and if Jimmy is anything close there really is nothing anyone can offer that would be more valuable than a starting, competent QB.

I hope if JMD leaves, it's to the Jaguars and he takes Jimmy G too. They have lot of talented players and high draft picks. Also, that division doesn't have a lot of competetion.

Top 10 pick, or the points equivalent

Don't see the point in trading him otherwise.

Unfortunately, we have no real idea of what the guy is going to become. I know it is a hypothetical situation, but you are asking us to make a decision based on next to no information on the guy other than a good game against an average defense we overrated at the time and a great quarter and a half against another average defense.

Unless Belichick is convinced this guy is a top 5-10 QB in the making, I would trade the guy because his trade value will never be higher. But I don't know if even Belichick knows what Garoppolo is truly capable of.

I wouldn't give him away for a crappy deal, but if there is a mid to high first rounder involved I would grab it.

The Patriots are going to live and die by Brady. His replacement isn't going to start for quite a few years, I hope.

Garoppolo is worlds better than Cassel, Hoyer, and Mallett (and to be fair, all of them are still backups in the league; heck, Cassel just won a game against playoff-bound Houston). Those guys were clearly backup caliber players who were forced into starting roles. Garoppolo is very talented and composed, with much better pocket presence, a very quick release, nice field vision, good completion percentage, and a strong upward trajectory of demonstrable improvement in each season of play. He's superior to any 2017 draft prospect right now, although some of them could certainly surpass him. I can think of several teams for whom it makes a lot of sense to trade for him and have, at the very least, a competent starter with Pro Bowl upside. Why not go for the sure thing versus an unknown quantity?

Matt Schaub had not shown a ton more in his career than Garoppolo has, prior to being traded to the Texans. Two 2nds would seem like a reasonable starting point for Garoppolo, too. I'd be happy with the Brown's 2nd this year (33 overall) and next year (likely to still be in the 30s). Of course, I'd LOVE to get a top 10 pick, but I just don't see it happening. Compare completion percentage and touchdown to interception ratio, as well as yards per attempt, and I think that Garoppolo wins very nicely. Still, it's hard to convince a team to part with a high pick (Bradford is a bit of an anomaly).

2004 Falcons 6 1 33 70 47.1 330 4.7 1 4 4 14 42.0
2005 Falcons 16 1 33 64 51.6 495 7.7 4 0 6 27 98.1
2006 Falcons 16 0 18 27 66.7 208 7.7 1 2 2 8 71.2

2016 New England Patriots 6 2 43 63 68.3 502 8.0 4 0 3 15 113.3
2015 New England Patriots 5 0 1 4 25.0 6 1.5 0 0 0 0 39.6 5
2014 New England Patriots 6 0 19 27 70.4 182 6.7 1 0 5 36 101.2

First, I would sit down with Tommy one last time and make sure he really wants to play for a minimum of 2-3 years after this year. When he says yes, I would still not trade JG for less than a top 15 pick and another later pick. Someone will eventually panic and offer it to us. If they don't, status quo. If they do, I kiss Jimmy goodbye on each cheek and say go out there and win your third ring.

I've posted this in 34 different places so what the hell.

Assuming my evaluation of Brissett is that he projects to be a QB2 in 2017 and not the second coming of
Ryan Mallett...

Trade. Starting asking price is 1st this year and 1st next year. Of course they won't get it but I might settle for a mid 1st rounder AND a younger impact player on defense that will fit in the system. I might also settle for a 1st and a 2nd rounder next year.

Trading Jimmy is a big deal. Hes a quality backup with an unknown ceiling. If a team out there projects him to be a ProBowler then they will pay for one.
Tennessee Tuxedo! Man, there's a good way to figure out the old-timers here. ;)

Brady & Garoppolo cannot both be kept past 2017.

Brady the timeless wonder has made the decision for the Patriots. Trade Jimmy G to the highest bidder.

My biggest question before the season was are there ANY signs Brady is slowing down or showing his age? He has answered that with a resounding NO if anything he's gotten Better. I keep thinking another 2-3 elite years and then an injuried filled year before he retires and he keeps making that look like crap. At this point I am fully convinced he will play out his contract and kick this issue down to Briskit when his contract is up. At which point, who knows Brady might STILL be an all pro and we draft a good prospect to replace Briskit.

So to answer the OP what would I do with Grops. Top 15 pick is my baseline and I hope to find 2 teams to play off each other and take the best deal I can get. If I find no one willing to pony up at LEAST a top 15 pick then I quite contentedly keep the best back up in the league for my 40 year old QB. A year of insurance and most likely a 3rd round compensatory are worth more to me then anything less. Now if the other team wanted to protect themselves with a deal that was say a high second this year and a third next year that could go up to a first based on play time or stats they are comfortable with I would listen.

If I was the Pats GM, I would trade him for as many high picks as possible and stockpile some high picks and get the kid from USC

Said before and will say again at this point cause i am so confident in Brady to play past 2 years at this level I am more willing to deal but i only do it for good value. I need at least 1500 draft point. (7th overall pick or picks equal to that) or I don't do it. If more all the better but less I hang up.

I did have it at 3000 points before but seeing Brady play I have become more comfortable with the idea of letting him walk. However 1500 is baseline and will not go lower cause that is what i believe a young promising QB is worth and I would not deal him for less. Rather have the insurance policy cause that is valuable too.

I was thinking along the same lines. Had yet to come up with a trade value number for JG. I'd view his value to the team in the #5 - #10 range, so anywhere from 1300 - 1700 value points and I'm listening. I'd probably ask for a player in return if the package was closer to the 1300 range.

If I made this deal, I would trade down about 10 spots and acquire as many picks as possible. I would also attempt to deal pick #32 for a future first round pick, with a plan to continue moving this pick into future drafts and stockpiling value to cash in when Brady retires.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes