PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Texans ARE DUMB - Trade for Laremy Tunsil and Kenny Stills

Somewhere in Seattle, Duane Brown is scratching his head. :p

Maybe. Drafts are inherently a crapshoot. The Jets had 12 selections in 2014 with very little to show for it.
The Browns, 49ers...

More picks doesn't = you'll hit on more picks.

Trading away young, proven players is a big gamble. Esp a tier 2 LT on a rookie deal. Literally the only OL'm they have worth anything.

Dolphins just told their fans to come in 2022.

The Browns, 49ers...

Trading away young, proven players is a big gamble. Esp a tier 2 LT on a rookie deal. Literally the only OL'm they have worth anything.

Unless Sam Darnold lives up to the hype (not seeing it with all the INT's), I think the Patriots have pretty much already clinched the division for the next 2 seasons at least.:D

Great trade for MIA.

Plus getting rid of all those players almost secures the #1 pick/Tua. Plus all the other picks.

The Browns, 49ers...

Yes, it is a big gamble. Trading a guy like that for a first round pick is a big gamble. Trading him for two first round picks is laughably easy decision. Whether or not they would necessarily hit on those two first round picks is irrelevant. They could trade the picks for better assets than one player whose about to get a brink's truck of money, thus negating much of his value. This was a very lopsided trade based on the NFL trade market and common sense.

The Dolphins are clearly in rebuild mode for several years regardless and their fans know that. I don't think you'll find a Dolphins fan who isn't thrilled with this trade.

Unless Sam Darnold lives up to the hype (not seeing it with all the INT's), I think the Patriots have pretty much already clinched the division for the next 2 seasons at least.:D
I love Darnold but I remember telling jet fans if anyone could f him up its the jets.

99.9% of rookie QBs are "bad" but I thought Darnold was the only other guy that really showed anything besides Baker last year.

Gase should be his OC tho, not HC imo but we'll see.

Somewhere in Seattle, Duane Brown is scratching his head. :p

2nd Team All-Pro with Seattle last year, after being a great LT in Houston for years and traded for a turkey sandwich. Extended by Seattle for 3-years at $12M per. I'm guessing Tunsil is going to cost somewhere close to $20M. Good thing they didn't just keep their franchise LT in the first place.

Wait, the Texans also spent their first round pick on a LT? Wow.

I love Darnold but I remember telling jet fans if anyone could f him up its the jets.

99.9% of rookie QBs are "bad" but I thought Darnold was the only other guy that really showed anything besides Baker last year.

Gase should be his OC tho, not HC imo but we'll see.
Here's the thing. We heard the EXACT same thing when Gase got his hands on another talented young QB in Ryan Tannyhill. 3 years later and BOTH were gone. I'm not sure how Gase got his "offensive genius/QB whisperer" reputations, but for me the results don't match the hype. Darnell WAS the 2nd best rookie QB last season, but while the talent exists, it does in a LOT of QB's who don't rise above mediocrity, like Tannyhill/Mariotta, etc The only way a QB rises above mediocrity is his ability to process what he sees.....PERIOD. Great QB's can do it, everyone else just have great arms.

AND even if Gase IS as good as his rep, there is a LOT more to being a HC than just being the unofficial OC. Bill isn't the defensive coach, he coaches the ENTIRE team, and LEADS the entire team. Gase hasn't come close to proving THAT part of his game.

AND even if Gase IS as good as his rep.

He definitely isn't. I've posted several lengthy studies on this. He's never successfully developed a young QB, got a lot of credit for Manning, and led Cutler to a totally average Cutler season (for which he gets undue credit for making Cutler better.) There is absolutely nothing he has done in his entire career that shows even an improvement with a young quarterback under his tutelage, and many cases where QBs just failed to hit expectations (even for later round picks they were bad.)

He definitely isn't. I've posted several lengthy studies on this. He's never successfully developed a young QB, got a lot of credit for Manning, and led Cutler to a totally average Cutler season (for which he gets undue credit for making Cutler better.) There is absolutely nothing he has done in his entire career that shows even an improvement with a young quarterback under his tutelage, and many cases where QBs just failed to hit expectations (even for later round picks they were bad.)
Then I guess that's a good thing. ;)

So has the reported mutiny that was going to happen if the Lolphins traded Tunsil gone down yet?

The mutineers all got traded or released.

I think even the mutinees high fived the Dolphins personnel team when they saw the return.

Hi Kontra.....(looks at forecast)...uh, bye Kontra....:eek:

So just a timeframe of the Texans handling of the left tackle position:

2008: Drafted Duane Brown in the first round.

2008-17: Brown excels with Texans as a 4X All-Pro including in 2017. Due to his wanting a new contract, Texans trade Brown to Seahawks in 2017 for 2nd and 3rd round picks.

2017-18: Brown continues to excel with Seahawks, making the pro bowl in 2017 and all-pro in 2018, and signs a three-year extension for $12M per year, which appears to be a very affordable hometown amount for the position and his performance.

2019: Texans spend first round (23rd overall) and second round (55th overall) picks on offensive tackles in the draft.

20019: Texans trade two first round picks for Laremy Tunsil, who unlike Duane Brown, has never even made a pro bowl appearance. Tunsil not signed to long-term extension, meaning he could be the most costly rental ever, or the first $20M offensive lineman ever, despite never making a pro bowl, and despite having drafted two highly rated rookie tackles right there, and despite having your long-time elite left tackle on another team at an affordable price.

Is that about right?

Here's the thing. We heard the EXACT same thing when Gase got his hands on another talented young QB in Ryan Tannyhill. 3 years later and BOTH were gone. I'm not sure how Gase got his "offensive genius/QB whisperer" reputations, but for me the results don't match the hype. Darnell WAS the 2nd best rookie QB last season, but while the talent exists, it does in a LOT of QB's who don't rise above mediocrity, like Tannyhill/Mariotta, etc The only way a QB rises above mediocrity is his ability to process what he sees.....PERIOD. Great QB's can do it, everyone else just have great arms.

AND even if Gase IS as good as his rep, there is a LOT more to being a HC than just being the unofficial OC. Bill isn't the defensive coach, he coaches the ENTIRE team, and LEADS the entire team. Gase hasn't come close to proving THAT part of his game.
Pat Idk what to say here lol?

I'm not a big Gase fan, hence why I said he should be an OC as opposed to a coach.

I'd put Darnold well above RT. He was a great prospect & certainly showed the ability to process, scan & make good decisions. He was put in a bad spot & made something out of it. If you watched him there was a clear difference between him & Baker & the rest.

I just wish he was in SF or even TB at this point w Bruce.

Not sure about the accuracy of this, but PFT is reporting that Houston will pay Clowney $7 million and Kalil $2.25.million to not play for them this season. No wonder they were desperate for Caserio...

Is BOB feeling the heat? Texans all in for this year
And they may succeed in their goal of making it back to the divisional round. The Texans are like a less ambitious and successful version of the Toronto Raptors.

And they may succeed in their goal of making it back to the divisional round. The Texans are like a less ambitious and successful version of the Toronto Raptors.
Why would their goal be to make it to the divisional round?

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back