PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ted Johnson: “Mac maybe saved Bill’s legacy”

Bill drafted Mac, Bill drafted Brady, in-between he drafted JimmyG and Cassel... BB finds talent.

Mac didn't do sht for Bill, Bill saved him from a potentially horrid career on the Detroit Lions.
Do you think TJ's excessive contrarian views towards BB are correlated to the concussion issue in 2002?

Bill drafted Mac, Bill drafted Brady, in-between he drafted JimmyG and Cassel... BB finds talent.

Mac didn't do sht for Bill, Bill saved him from a potentially horrid career on the Detroit Lions.
And Mac knows it, he told ol' Roger "This is what I wanted all along!".

Yeah, I don't think what I'm describing is the same as what you're describing.
Then I am clearly confused. What other signals are there?

Do you think TJ's excessive contrarian views towards BB are correlated to the concussion issue in 2002?
He's definitely not a bright guy with potential CTE issues. The stuff he said about Wilfork's wife, you wonder if he has a filter.

He's definitely not a bright guy with potential CTE issues. The stuff he said about Wilfork's wife, you wonder if he has a filter.
I can appreciate and respect the sheer amount of trauma the man's head and body has endured and I give him credit for finding a way to lead a productive life. I think he's said he has days he can't get out of bed, throbbing headaches, etc. Can't even imagine....

I also get the contrarian angle. Hes branded himself as someone unafraid to be critical of the team and BB. Rodney has done it. Nink has done it. Bru, Willie, Ty etc have at one time or another been hyper critical of the team, BB, etc.

But yea...he just seems to have these moments of going to the extreme to the point of showing bitterness and I think it's rooted in his experience with BB and Kraft. As you say...no filter and comments not fully thought through.

Quite frankly it's a bad look for him.

This is the Brady/BB argument all over again.

BB drafted Tom. Tom succeeded and the team won.

BB drafted Cassel. Cassel succeeded and the team won.

BB drafted Jimmy. Jimmy succeeded and the team won.

BB drafted Mac. Mac succeeded and the team won.

There is a trend here.

BB identifies, drafts, develops and gets the most out of players that help the team win. Some are GOATs. Some are functional QBs. One is on an absurd trajectory to having a great career.

Johnson is a bitter turdball. Bianca Wilfork agrees.
I agree totally
First thing that came to mind was BB drafted them and coached them up
If he used an argument of Joe Montana would have been nothing without Jerry Rice we can debate
A coach that drafted and built the team around them and coached them up.One had great success while the other is having success only states the obvious. BB is pretty good at what he does. We can throw Cassell and Jimmy in to strongly state that Bill puts players in a position to win

I agree totally
First thing that came to mind was BB drafted them and coached them up
If he used an argument of Joe Montana would have been nothing without Jerry Rice we can debate
A coach that drafted and built the team around them and coached them up.One had great success while the other is having success only states the obvious. BB is pretty good at what he does. We can throw Cassell and Jimmy in to strongly state that Bill puts players in a position to win
Even with Tom. I believe- eventually - Tom would have had a successful career as an NFL QB. Might have taken him some more time for his body and arm to get stronger and learn the NFL game somewhere else but I have no doubt BB and the org put him the best possible position to have the opportunity. Because of Tom insane work-ethic, performance and intelligence, Bledsoe's injury accelerated Tom ascension to NFL stardom.

BB saw what he potentially had in Tom just like what he saw/sees in Mac.

He plays players that show they can play in the system. Not much more to it.

Some QB‘s get ruined with bad organizations and coaching
Brady is a different breed if another organization did not get him killed before he could flourish
Bill runs his system like Auerbach did. Everyone has a role
I am by no means saying that Brady is only a role player QB. He is Special. But the coaching and system which chose him and played to his strengths gave his career what was needed to succeed . Same is happening with Mac. Why do you think he bolted to the stage when the Pats picked him.
I feel bad for players with head injuries but this is just Ted being a douche

Hilarious how much this opinion ruffles the homer's feathers. Absolutely some validity to it.

The Lions drafted before the Patriots.

BB's legacy as a HOFer is more than secure, but how the team does from this point forward matters when reading his biography. I'd like him to retire the winningest coach ever. I think right now MAC's incredible rookie performance is certainly going to help and it is very reasonable for us to consider the Pats as an 11-12 win team with Mac for the foreseeable future.

If BB goes 7-10 or 8- 9 for the next few seasons it will be harder for him to catch Shula's record. He has a limited window of time to crank out wins.

How does this season and beyond playout if we don't have MAC? Are we the same team with Davis Mills?

FYI I am not insinuating that the QB is the only variable in winning. The position is useless without good coaching and team building.

The problem with this take is... Mac would be replaced by any competent QB that the Patriots brought in... Cam was not a competent... So it's basically just 52 ****ting on BB

Belichicks legacy was set after 4... And was confirmed after 6... It was and is just noise from the media creating the "was it bb or tb" controversy... Those who didn't bite realize it's both, together...

Once you see it, understand it, then it's impossible to say anything but...

BBs legacy is secure regardless of what happens here on out... No matter what Ted Johnson says

What else is there to do?
I’m sitting here listening to a Zoom of my company’s board meeting. The CFO is currently droning on about inflation and market conditions. I absolutely have some time for outrage.

BB's legacy as a HOFer is more than secure, but how the team does from this point forward matters when reading his biography. I'd like him to retire the winningest coach ever. I think right now MAC's incredible rookie performance is certainly going to help and it is very reasonable for us to consider the Pats as an 11-12 win team with Mac for the foreseeable future.

If BB goes 7-10 or 8- 9 for the next few seasons it will be harder for him to catch Shula's record. He has a limited window of time to crank out wins.

How does this season and beyond playout if we don't have MAC? Are we the same team with Davis Mills?

FYI I am not insinuating that the QB is only variable in winning. The position is useless without good coaching and team building.
BB is 42 wins away. If the Pats finish with 10 wins this season he'll be 38 away. If Bill has 4 years left to coach after this season that means if the Pats are a yearly 10 win team with Mac he can beat the record in 2025. But I don't think BB will stick around that long.

He's 30 wins away from Shula if you count postseason. That record is way more doable IMO.

Last edited:
Hilarious how much this opinion ruffles the homer's feathers. Absolutely some validity to it.

It's a dumb and lazy argument. The next QB to win games under Bill whether it's Mac or someone else, the anti-Bill crowd was going to say "insert name" is saving Bill's legacy. Or Bill got lucky again for getting "insert name".

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back