PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ted Johnson: “Mac maybe saved Bill’s legacy”

TheRainMaker

3rd runner up sexiest man alive 1998
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Ted really hates this guy. What’s the backstory on why he’s got so much beef with Bill? I’ve heard something to do with an injury.

There’s also some other funny quotes in the article.

He was one of my favorite LB’s back in the day, but he’s been really bitter for some time.

Ted really hates this guy. What’s the backstory on why he’s got so much beef with Bill? I’ve heard something to do with an injury.

He was one of my favorite LB’s back in the day, but he’s been really bitter for some time.

He blamed Bill for playing him when he was not ready after sustaining an injury. Bill admitted later to Ted he screwed up. May have affected Ted's long term health.

Also, he said his experience negotiating with Bill on a new contract was a nightmare. Might explain why things with Brady went south.

When I first was being coached by Bill and had my first kind of issue with my contract, Bill reached out to me personally which usually does not happen. I was like, 'Woah, okay, I have an agent.' He was like, 'Yeah I was going to call him.' He wanted to gauge my interest and see how I reacted by him calling me.

Bill will nickel and dime. There was a year that I had -- I played 15 percent of the plays the year before, and he came to ask me for a pay cut. He said, 'Well Ted, you only played 15 percent of the plays.' 'Yeah, Bill, did you know I broke my foot in Week 1 so I missed the next 10 games?' He doesn't care about that stuff. So it is hardball, he doesn't care, he will use the stats against you, and won't factor in all the things that went into those poor stats.

He's not going to blow you away with an offer. He's going to make you sweat it out and make you think, 'Do I really want to leave what I'm comfortable with, or stay here and take less than what other people would offer?'

He blames Bill for his CTE.

Ex-Pats LB: Belichick made me play with concussion

Regarding the headline I can see the scenario down the road where the story goes from BB can’t win without Tom to BB can’t win without Tom and Mac.

He blamed Bill for playing him when he was not ready after sustaining an injury. Bill admitted later to Ted he screwed up. May have affected Ted's long term health.

Also, he said his experience negotiating with Bill on a new contract was a nightmare. Might explain why things with Brady went south.

Well, I guess that explains that.

Apparently Ted Johnson admitted to receiving a sheet of opponents' signals on game days from an anonymous source. If true, that's significantly more damning than literally all of the "evidence" that led to this team losing any draft picks.

"Maybe" is the sign of a weak thesis.

Love ya Teddy, not even gonna read the article.

Apparently Ted Johnson admitted to receiving a sheet of opponents' signals on game days from an anonymous source. If true, that's significantly more damning than literally all of the "evidence" that led to this team losing any draft picks.

I'm guessing those were from Ernie Adams after he reviewed the tapes.

OK, he gets to use concussions to get a free pass on his "hot takes", what about the rest of the Boston sports talk show hosts?

I think someone must have taken a sledge hammer to Felger and Mazz's heads.

Ted hates Bill so this is actually good news that he's begrudgingly admitting Mac is the friggin man.

Belichick's legacy was already set as the greatest coach of all time in professional sports no matter what. Anything else he accomplishes just further enhances it

Johnson was a classic run stuffing inside linebacker who played 4 years for Colorado and then 10 seasons in the NFL. He played his entire career in an era where a lot less was known about concussions and how serious they are. It's believable that Belichick told him to suit up and get on the field before he was ready. It's not believable that Bill McCartney, Bill Parcells and Pete Carroll didn't tell him the same thing. It's unfortunate that Ted Johnson and others have to pay a long term price for this, but that was football culture at that time. I can't say he's wrong to hold a grudge against Belichick, but there's also a decent chance that, even if the Patriots were somehow using modern concussion protocols 20 years ago, Johnson would be in the same spot, cognitively.

Huh? How is that damaging? Because that statement makes no sense on the surface. I mean opponents display their signals in front of 80k people plus millions of people on TV. If they continue to use the same signals and the other team figures those out that is the fault of one side and one side only.

There's a reason indicators are used and changed often, in baseball. Often from inning to inning.

As tough as it is to hear, I don't think he's wrong. If the Patriots don't draft Mac at 15 it's hard to imagine they'd be on the same trajectory. BB has obviously long since earned his Hall of Famer status, but if the Pats continue(d) to have several seasons like last year it would diminish his legacy some.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back