PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ted Johnson: “Mac maybe saved Bill’s legacy”

At this stage Fields' processing speed is clearly not NFL ready. Does not only show up in his passing numbers, but also the insane number of sacks he is taking.

He's got 31 sacks in 229 dropbacks. That's a sack rate of 13.5% and David Carr-level.

He's also fumbled 9 times already (only lost 3, but still). Dude is raw.

As for Fields does anybody else get the feeling like he would just be a younger less talented Cam Newton in our system? I mean he's throwing for 59%, only 6.9 YPA, and 4 TDs to 8 INTs. If you hated Newton under center last year, Fields would have literally been ROASTED by the fans as he just doesn't seem to have the same processing speed, decision-making, and uncanny accuracy of Mac Jones.
Can't really compare how Fields is doing with Nagy as his coach vs what he would do here with an all time great coach like BB. I'm sure BB could do a lot of great things with Fields but we have our answer now about whether Mac really was the most pro ready out of all the rookie QB's (Yes) and whether he would fit the Patriots system (Yes). Also the idea the Pats made a mistake not drafting Fields instead of Mac is DOA. Fields was not on the board at #15.

Too soon to say how good or otherwise Fields will be in the longer term. He is green and his coaching sucks. Despite that he's been good for the last few weeks and even yesterday wasn't THAT bad. He takes too many unnecessary sacks especially for a mobile QB. That's not what was advertised at the draft.

Can't really compare how Fields is doing with Nagy as his coach vs what he would do here with an all time great coach like BB. I'm sure BB could do a lot of great things with Fields but we have our answer now about whether Mac really was the most pro ready out of all the rookie QB's (Yes) and whether he would fit the Patriots system (Yes). Also the idea the Pats made a mistake not drafting Fields instead of Mac is DOA. Fields was not on the board at #15.

Too soon to say how good or otherwise Fields will be in the longer term. He is green and his coaching sucks. Despite that he's been good for the last few weeks and even yesterday wasn't THAT bad. He takes too many unnecessary sacks especially for a mobile QB. That's not what was advertised at the draft.

Fields would be spending at least his rookie season on the bench in NE, and would stay there until he knew his playbook and his reads completely. The reason Mac got the starting job was because he understood all of this at a much higher level than Newton did, and he was able to run their offense to the degree needed to start for them.

Fields would be spending at least his rookie season on the bench in NE, and would stay there until he knew his playbook and his reads completely. The reason Mac got the starting job was because he understood all of this at a much higher level than Newton did, and he was able to run their offense to the degree needed to start for them.

Yeah, I think if the chips had fallen different ways, Mac and Lawrence probably beat out Newton, but Wilson, Lance, and Fields likely don't, at least to start the year. Newton isn't great, but he gave Mac a bar he had to reach in order to earn the starting job, rather than just be handed it on potential. No doubt those three guys would have the higher ceiling (than Newton), but I doubt any of them would have shown enough command of this offense to reach the floor necessary to start week 1.

Yeah, I think if the chips had fallen different ways, Mac and Lawrence probably beat out Newton, but Wilson, Lance, and Fields likely don't, at least to start the year. Newton isn't great, but he gave Mac a bar he had to reach in order to earn the starting job, rather than just be handed it on potential. No doubt those three guys would have the higher ceiling (than Newton), but I doubt any of them would have shown enough command of this offense to reach the floor necessary to start week 1.

You are probably right, in which case they would be 0-11 right now and looking at the first pick in the next draft,

Phil is up there but it's harder to win in football. One game and you're done the best team sometimes doesn't win. In basketball you have 7 games to determine the winner and usually the best team always wins.
Fair. Phil did it with two teams tho

Fair. Phil did it with two teams tho
True but 2 of the most stacked and loaded teams in nba history.
Phil was a good coach but not even close to being the best. Red and Pop both head and shoulders better.

Phil was a good coach but not even close to being the best. Red and Pop both head and shoulders better.
Celtics invented the big three in what 08? They won one. How many would Phil have gotten? *strokes chin*

But to your point tho I just realized the two dynasties plus this dynasty are three different teams so yea I guess give it to Bill

I think you need to do a little research on this. Not only did Red didn't have to worry about a salary cap, there was no free agency. Due to the option or reserve clause in all of their standard contracts, NBA teams basically owned a players' rights for as long as they wanted.

Read this: Oscar Robertson Rule and note where it says, "the Oscar Robertson Rule, eliminated the "option" or "reserve" clause in the NBA's uniform player contract (which bound a player to one team for life at the team's option), and was the first step toward unrestricted free agency in the NBA".

Red could build a team and hold those players as long as he wanted and they had to take whatever contract he offered. As author David Halberstam once noted, "Red Auerbach went after the players of the highest intelligence and character, and then of course paid them horribly. They had great coherence as a team, great personal loyalty to each other, great respect and love for Auerbach, who had created this unique institution and honored each of them by making him a part of it, and then of course great anger at him for paying them so little.”

"Red Auerbach went after the players of the highest intelligence and character, and then of course paid them horribly." Red paid Russell more than Wilt was paid.

I think you need to do a little research on this. Not only did Red didn't have to worry about a salary cap, there was no free agency. Due to the option or reserve clause in all of their standard contracts, NBA teams basically owned a players' rights for as long as they wanted.

Read this: Oscar Robertson Rule and note where it says, "the Oscar Robertson Rule, eliminated the "option" or "reserve" clause in the NBA's uniform player contract (which bound a player to one team for life at the team's option), and was the first step toward unrestricted free agency in the NBA".

Red could build a team and hold those players as long as he wanted and they had to take whatever contract he offered. As author David Halberstam once noted, "Red Auerbach went after the players of the highest intelligence and character, and then of course paid them horribly. They had great coherence as a team, great personal loyalty to each other, great respect and love for Auerbach, who had created this unique institution and honored each of them by making him a part of it, and then of course great anger at him for paying them so little.”
I think that allowing player movement makes it easier to put together a team and to fill holes, like Bill did in 2001 and 2021.

If we substitute Bill for Red in the last paragraph it would still fit.

"Red Auerbach went after the players of the highest intelligence and character, and then of course paid them horribly." Red paid Russell more than Wilt was paid.
Where are you getting this? Bill Russell's highest annual salary was $100,001, which was done that one year so that he would be paid $1.00 more than Chamberlain, who was making $100,000. A few years later, Wilt got $250,000/year from the Lakers.

Don't get me wrong here, I bleed Celtic green, but really, there are plenty of stories out there about how cheap the Celtics were back then. There really is no need to try and re-write that history.

His legacy should be secure. But it's like people forgot last year and this year when we were 2-4

With Brady tearing it up on Tampa and the pats struggling the media came at Bill HARD "it was all Brady" "he needs to be fired"

Bill putting a winning team together kinda quiets that chatter.

Where are you getting this? Bill Russell's highest annual salary was $100,001, which was done that one year so that he would be paid $1.00 more than Chamberlain, who was making $100,000. A few years later, Wilt got $250,000/year from the Lakers.

Don't get me wrong here, I bleed Celtic green, but really, there are plenty of stories out there about how cheap the Celtics were back then. There really is no need to try and re-write that history.
I also bleed Celtic green and do not re-write history! It was a well known quote and I was able to find a column regarding it.

the moral? cheap wins 11 championships..stop arguing over minutiae. It's not now nor was it ever YOUR money.

Newsflash: BB's legacy is not in need of saving. Period. Nothing he does today can undo what he has already done. You can have all the training, all the data, all the personnel, and still screw it up.

Ask any high level IT type - potential new client calls because their existing support can't handle an issue. You go on site and see they have all the tools loaded, access to all the logs, hell they built the environment. 30 minutes later you have a proposal and a fix just using what you know and your understanding of how the parts work together.

The Greatest Show on Turf - don't tell me you didn't respect that team (skills and accomplishments). Won in 2000. Lost in 2001. Brought back most of the same cast. Basically disappeared.

The Colts had Manning and a generational offense (and most years their D was pretty good). Why only one Lombardi? And that was against a Bears team that backed into the big game.

Coaching. The sum of the coaching through the entire year.

Green Bay - from Favre to Rodgers, solid teams, yet fizzled out. Credit to GB for beating the Steelers (or at least not giving the refs an excuse to gift it to them).

Coaching - have I mentioned that?

So many examples of an incredible lack of consistency. Why? Coaching. BB after winning a championship "Proud ... great guys ... played well ... But we're now two weeks behind on our off season prep".

2000 - 2019 ... BB coached teams have 2 losing seasons. 2000, where he inherited a bad situation caused by Grier's shopping and Pete Carroll's frat house approach. 2019 after losing the Goat to the salary cap, and treating pass catchers like a D&D character's Charisma score.

2001 - 2019 ... 232-72 ... Only because of TB? Nope, since I don't think any other coach could have gotten this level out of TB. BB's decisions, BB's shopping. TB may have had to adjust from season to season, but he knew that if the quality of play in A was going down a notch, B was going up. And, as is his trademark, BB did everything he could to make sure the backups were as close to the starters as possible.

And I don't think any other coach is a brutally honest with their self scouting as BB is. Look at the rise of Godchaux and Bentley. Are they superstars? No.

Are they better now than in week one? Hell yes. The adjustments never stop. (Although I have to ask - does anyone else get a sinking feeling when they see High in coverage? Or is it just me?)

Coaching. It takes a hodge-podge team to a Super Bowl with a kid at QB and gets the win. It also takes a very talented experienced team to a Super Bowl, one where the QB breaks all kinds of records, and winds up with a loss.

Coaching.

all these narratives are driven by one BASIC issue...the ABSOLUTE HATRED OF ALL THINGS NEW ENGLAND AND THE PATRIOTS by the rest of the scumbag media ticks and stool gobblers in this country.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back