PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ted Johnson: “Mac maybe saved Bill’s legacy”

I mean in a way he's not wrong. A head coach can't win without a great quarterback. We've tasted the bitter truth when we had to endure this team with Cam Newton. The Patriots were not the Patriots anymore. There's a little element of luck to any draft. If Mac Jones hadn't dropped to 15, it's quite likely we're looking at another sub .500 season and the hot seat gets really HOT for BB.

But dealing with real life right now, Mac Jones DID slip to 15. He has been the best rookie QB by a mile, and he fits this offense like a glove. He is really playing like a veteran when in fact he's still a rookie of just 10 games experience. We are truly blessed by the football gods. Now let's see if Mac can keep that hot streak going. We have a real chance to win the division again if we can just beat the Bills.

I mean in a way he's not wrong. A head coach can't win without a great quarterback. We've tasted the bitter truth when we had to endure this team with Cam Newton. The Patriots were not the Patriots anymore. There's a little element of luck to any draft. If Mac Jones hadn't dropped to 15, it's quite likely we're looking at another sub .500 season and the hot seat gets really HOT for BB.

But dealing with real life right now, Mac Jones DID slip to 15. He has been the best rookie QB by a mile, and he fits this offense like a glove. He is really playing like a veteran when in fact he's still a rookie of just 10 games experience. We are truly blessed by the football gods. Now let's see if Mac can keep that hot streak going. We have a real chance to win the division again if we can just beat the Bills.
He's 100% wrong. Bill does not need Mac to save his legacy. Bills legacy is already set regardless of what happens in the final chapters of his career.

Red Auerbach says Hi!
Why do so many think that history began circa 2000?

I love Red but I highly doubt that he would have been as successful if he had to manage a salary cap like they do today.

Any discussion of what Belichick has done needs to have that in bold - salary cap era. That is one of the craziest things about his success.

Apparently Ted Johnson admitted to receiving a sheet of opponents' signals on game days from an anonymous source. If true, that's significantly more damning than literally all of the "evidence" that led to this team losing any draft picks.

This again... do people not know their history?? Ted Johnson retired in 2004. 2004 is 3 years before 2007, the year the NFL banned filming the sidelines from your sideline. Filming the teams signals was not illegal when Ted Johnson played. It's still not illegal today, just not from your own sideline.

So yes, of course the Patriots filmed the oppositons signals and gave them to their players to learn in case the morons used the same ones again. That is what well coached teams did. Poorly coached teams failed to understand this and used the same signals.

It's all moot now with the advent of headsets.

Why is this even a thing? Even Ted isn't stupid enough to imply that filming was illegal in 2004.

Shula is regarded as one of the all time great coaches even though he never won a SB with Marino.

Or Unitas.

71-23 as coach of the Baltimore Colts, who were already rolling.

I think Johnson is going overboard with Bill being lucky Mac slipped to him when there were questions about his athletic ability/arm before the draft. Nobody cared Mac was the most "pro ready" because he wasn't flashy like the other guys. In fact, it was clear the other QB's taken before him were projected to go before him, so it wasn't a surprise Mac was the last guy standing. The problem was other teams leaking who they wanted months before the draft. So why would Bill feel he had to make any moves if he wanted Mac?

But there's no question any Coach can not win with competent QB play.

There's a big gap though between Tom Brady and what we got from Cam Newton last year. That's not just "not winning because you don't have the GOAT", it's "not winning because you have a bottom five NFL passer". There is a middle ground there. It would be like if Brady went to the Jets and had Adam Gase as his head coach, and people said, "See? Brady can't win without Belichick!" No, he just can't overcome one of the worst head coaches in the league. Instead he had Arians, who I won't argue is an all time great, but has won coach of the year twice. That's good enough for Brady to win. We'll find out if Mac is good enough to win (this year or in the next few), but he won't have to be Tom Brady to get Bill back to the dance.

Not to mention the fact that Brady won a Super Bowl with a stacked roster......assembled by a Belichick offspring.

Let's stick Brady on the Lions, Jets, or Jags and see what happens.
stacked roster? lol Stop. Brady went to the pats as a 4th QB worked his way up to be the first off the bench when Drew went down and we started winning all of the sudden. Bill saw that and kept him as QB...I hate to break it to you, but when Brady got to the pats in 2000 they were the jags.

This is the Brady/BB argument all over again.

BB drafted Tom. Tom succeeded and the team won.

BB drafted Cassel. Cassel succeeded and the team won.

BB drafted Jimmy. Jimmy succeeded and the team won.

BB drafted Mac. Mac succeeded and the team won.

There is a trend here.

BB identifies, drafts, develops and gets the most out of players that help the team win. Some are GOATs. Some are functional QBs. One is on an absurd trajectory to having a great career.

Johnson is a bitter turdball. Bianca Wilfork agrees.
Umm...He drafted Tom, They didnt win until Tom played then they won a lot, more than any team anywhere. JG I think started two games. Cassel had a 16-0 stacked team and didnt make the playoffs, we are 6-4 with Mac...one of these things is not like the other. I mean Cassel took the chiefs to the playoffs but could not with a 16-0 super team.

Umm...He drafted Tom, They didnt win until Tom played then they won a lot, more than any team anywhere. JG I think started two games. Cassel had a 16-0 stacked team and didnt make the playoffs, we are 6-4 with Mac...one of these things is not like the other. I mean Cassel took the chiefs to the playoffs but could not with a 16-0 super team.
Thanks, Ted.

stacked roster? lol Stop. Brady went to the pats as a 4th QB worked his way up to be the first off the bench when Drew went down and we started winning all of the sudden. Bill saw that and kept him as QB...I hate to break it to you, but when Brady got to the pats in 2000 they were the jags.
Defensively, they were fine. Offensively though, they were pedestrian.

No, that run game (1st in the league)and cake schedule (easiest SOS)took the chiefs to the playoffs. Cassel (KC 3rd to last in passing yards)was along for the ride. Essentially another Tannehill.

Last edited:

Saying that Cassel took a 16-0 team and didn't make the playoffs is an argument I've been meaning to fight for a while now. As though they were likely to go 16-0 again in 2008 even with Tom Brady. That was VERY unlikely. 14-2 I could see, but it took a bit of luck to go undefeated the year before, and they weren't catching anyone by surprise the next year with that offense. You also had no more Stallworth and Deltha O'Neal at LCB instead of Samuel, not to mention only 9 games of Adalius Thomas (who at that point was still earning his contract). There was a lot of carryover, but it wasn't like they sent Matt Cassel back in time to the beginning of 2007 and let him play that same season with that exact group. There was a drop off from Brady (a significant one), but it wasn't 16-0 to 11-5, because I just don't believe they were going undefeated two years in a row.

The insistence of some to just yawn at an 11-5 season with a QB who hadn't started a game since high school is somewhat baffling to me.

Perhaps a re-read is in order. Who is Belichick offspring in Foxboro

Like Tampa is stacked because a Belichick offspring stacked the roster.

Yeah, thanks Ted.

Next time check for CTE before posting.

Saying that Cassel took a 16-0 team and didn't make the playoffs is an argument I've been meaning to fight for a while now. As though they were likely to go 16-0 again in 2008 even with Tom Brady. That was VERY unlikely. 14-2 I could see, but it took a bit of luck to go undefeated the year before, and they weren't catching anyone by surprise the next year with that offense. You also had no more Stallworth and Deltha O'Neal at LCB instead of Samuel, not to mention only 9 games of Adalius Thomas (who at that point was still earning his contract). There was a lot of carryover, but it wasn't like they sent Matt Cassel back in time to the beginning of 2007 and let him play that same season with that exact group. There was a drop off from Brady (a significant one), but it wasn't 16-0 to 11-5, because I just don't believe they were going undefeated two years in a row.

The insistence of some to just yawn at an 11-5 season with a QB who hadn't started a game since high school is somewhat baffling to me.

Like it's something when I guy who never took a snap in college needed 12 games to get them back to the point where they were the best team in the league.

Pittsburgh beat Arizona in a squeaker.......that's the team the Pats blew out 47-7 Week 16.

Yeah the defense wasn't nearly good enough in 08 to go 16-0 IMO. I think between 12-14 wins was doable.

Cassel blunder caused the loss in Indy. Brady probably wouldn't have done that so take that away and they're 12-4. I don't think Brady makes a difference in the wildcat game they still would have gotten thumped. Rivers torched the Pats so they probably still lose in SD. The Steelers game was a rout with Cassel but probably 50-50 with Brady. The Jets game definitely was 50-50 anyway as it was overtime.

One of the silver linings of the pandemic is that these meetings no longer need to be attended in-person. You can just turn your camera and sound off and listen for key parts while you **** around.
Just gotta be careful so your "****ing around" doesn't end up on camera. A lady I work with thought her camera was off and decided to take a few puffs off of the vape pen with about 40 coworkers looking on.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back