PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Suprise, suprise, suprise - Chip Kelly wants to leave the Eagles

Good coach. Good for Philly to retain him. But anyone else think it's time to be cautious when Kelly strong arms the team into giving him more power ? We'll see. Makes me appreciate consistency in NE.

7593218_f260.jpg

Yea it's safe to say Clive wouldn't have survived 10 minutes as HC of the NEP for Bob Kraft.

Kelly is going to hire a personnel executive, but the new hire will report to Kelly as opposed to the traditional GM-HC hierarchy. Roseman is more of a cap/accountant type (like Idzik), so it does make sense to place a better football talent evaluator in that position.

Regardless, this will place more pressure on Kelly to succeed. More control equates to more blame for anything less than a championship, and there is no place that is more true than in Philadelphia.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com...re-power-new-job-title-for-Howie-Roseman.html

Howie Roseman is no longer general manager. He's now the executive vice president of football operations and will direct contract negotiations, salary cap management and NFL strategic matters, while overseeing the medical staff, equipment staff, etc..

Kelly is in charge of the player personnel department. He will lead the effort to hire a new personnel executive. So, Kelly has personnel matters and control of the 53-man roster all under his thumb.

Roseman had been general manager since 2010, but isn't known as a football guy. He's known as more of a bean counter.​

Kelly is going to hire a personnel executive, but the new hire will report to Kelly as opposed to the traditional GM-HC hierarchy. Roseman is more of a cap/accountant type (like Idzik), so it does make sense to place a better football talent evaluator in that position.

Regardless, this will place more pressure on Kelly to succeed. More control equates to more blame for anything less than a championship, and there is no place that is more true than in Philadelphia.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com...re-power-new-job-title-for-Howie-Roseman.html

Howie Roseman is no longer general manager. He's now the executive vice president of football operations and will direct contract negotiations, salary cap management and NFL strategic matters, while overseeing the medical staff, equipment staff, etc..

Kelly is in charge of the player personnel department. He will lead the effort to hire a new personnel executive. So, Kelly has personnel matters and control of the 53-man roster all under his thumb.

Roseman had been general manager since 2010, but isn't known as a football guy. He's known as more of a bean counter.​
If you are going to fail, fail because of your own faults- not someone else's.

Smart move by Lurie. Let football guys make football decisions.

To Philly talk show hosts a "football guy" was defined as someone who played the game. A host on one of the shows however countered by saying " the best coach in the NFL for the past 25 years never played football! He played Lacrosse..at Wesleyan no less" "He's Bill Belichick
BTW; BB gets MUCHO respect in Philadelphia

There has been STRONG criticism over Kelly's totally ignoring their DB backfield deficiency which burned them big time in losses to the Cowboys n Washington. Furthermore their #1 pick Marcus Smart was not good enough to get more than 20 snaps the whole season
Marcus Smart is playing for the Eagles?? Then who am I watching play point guard for the Celtics right now??? :eek:

If you are going to fail, fail because of your own faults- not someone else's.

Smart move by Lurie. Let football guys make football decisions.

Even though the Eagles have not won it all since Norm Van Brocklin, Pete Retzlaff and Tommy McDonald beat the Packers to give Vince Lombardi his one and only playoff loss, Lurie is a very solid owner. In the 18 years Lurie has been the owner in Philly the Eagles have gone to the playoffs 11 times, compared to 14 times in the previous 62 years. The team is always a playoff contender; they've only had two losing seasons since 2000.

My only surprise is that it took this long to make this change. I would have figured that he would have already had a football guy in place as GM/VP of Player Personnel, or whatever title you want to give him.

I don't think any of us would have qualms with that. He certainly knows how to produce exciting, winning football teams.
Although I am a big fan of Chip Kelly, I don't think I'd choose him over Caserio, since it appears Kelly wants to buy the groceries.

To Philly talk show hosts a "football guy" was defined as someone who played the game. A host on one of the shows however countered by saying " the best coach in the NFL for the past 25 years never played football! He played Lacrosse..at Wesleyan no less" "He's Bill Belichick
BTW; BB gets MUCHO respect in Philadelphia

Hre also played football at Wesleyan. Not real well, but he played OL, TE.

this is probably more of a power play by kelly. he want Belichick powers

Doesn't hurt that we also have the best and most competent owner in all of football either.

That's where it starts in almost every successful organization.

I think it is tough for college coaches to transition to the NFL, they have less control over their roster than in college, they have to adjust to a much faster game, particularly defensively and on offense they have to deal with guys don't rarely get wide open.

There has been STRONG criticism over Kelly's totally ignoring their DB backfield deficiency which burned them big time in losses to the Cowboys n Washington. Furthermore their #1 pick Marcus Smart was not good enough to get more than 20 snaps the whole season
Which is why he fighting with Howie Roseman, the de facto GM. net result, Chip has total oontrol over player selection and Roseman handles the contracts...
Here's Chip's plan

Not to go off topic, but just to finish that thought, this is the benefit of Brady and Belichick having elevated New England to Dynasty status.

When Belichick and Brady retire, we're going to have unlimited options. Top level coaches will want to come here and top level QB prospects will want to be here. Not only has the last 14 years been great, it's laid the foundation for us to continue to reign after they're gone.

Doesn't hurt that we also have the best and most competent owner in all of football either.

Great, great Points!! Leadership starts at The Top!!
beer.gif

Kraft could use considerably more Testicular Fortitude: Had he challenged that vile ScumBag Goodell publicly, I doubt that the Coward would've dared do more than fine us for that petty Misdemeanor, and it still pisses me off that he meekly allowed that other ScumBag, Putin, to steal his Championship Ring. But all that notwithstanding, he is the Heart, the Soul, and the Genesis of this magnificent Dynasty.

It's no coincidence that the Red Sox, BaseBall's unchallenged Dynasty, having won 6 World Championships in 16 Years and 4 World Championships in 7 Years ~ 15 World Championships for Boston BaseBall Fans in BaseBall's first 43 Years!!! :eek: ~ went to Hell 2 short Years after Harry Freaking Frazee bought the Team...and returned to Championship Glory with the most dramatic ComeBack Victory in the History of any Sport 2 short Years ~ subsequent controversies not withstanding ~ after John Henry took the wheel!!
smiley_headbanger.gif

I want to go out and kill baby ducklings now...thanx for winding me up AGAIN, Grid....:eek:

It's no coincidence that the Red Sox, BaseBall's unchallenged Dynasty, having won 6 World Championships in 16 Years and 4 World Championships in 7 Years ~ 15 World Championships for Boston BaseBall Fans in BaseBall's first 43 Years!!! :eek: ~ went to Hell 2 short Years after Harry Freaking Frazee bought the Team

Selling the contract of someone who was probably the most dominating player in the history of American professional team sports (I'm referring to the 'big 4', not underwater basket weaving) does tend to alter one's franchise.

And it had to be to the Yankees. Thanks for the reminder!

Even though the Eagles have not won it all since Norm Van Brocklin, Pete Retzlaff and Tommy McDonald beat the Packers to give Vince Lombardi his one and only playoff loss, Lurie is a very solid owner. In the 18 years Lurie has been the owner in Philly the Eagles have gone to the playoffs 11 times, compared to 14 times in the previous 62 years. The team is always a playoff contender; they've only had two losing seasons since 2000.

My only surprise is that it took this long to make this change. I would have figured that he would have already had a football guy in place as GM/VP of Player Personnel, or whatever title you want to give him.

Yep. Any Team that fails to give the Coach Command of choosing the Soldiers he goes into Battle with ~ selection of the Groceries, if you will ;)~ is pretty obviously doing it @$$-backwards.

And as of right now: That's still most'f'm. :eek:

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back