PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stunningly OT: US - Russia Hockey Game - Best Ever

Ok, so did quick knock the net off its moorings deliberately on the tyutin goal? That's what the Russians are saying now.
The goal going out of position has happened several times during these olympics and it's usuaslly the goalie that moves it. I think the goals in Sochi are just easier the move than the regular NHL goal, so the goalies lean/brace against the post like they usually do.

So..

In NHL goal moves you, in Soviet Russia you move goal.

Didn't watch...but the best hockey game ever is clearly the 2010 Olympics Men's Hockey Gold Medal game, and in 2nd the 2002 Men's Hockey Gold Medal game. :D :singing: :canadaflag: :first:

Nah, Lilehammer 94 was better! :D

Didn't watch...but the best hockey game ever is clearly the 2010 Olympics Men's Hockey Gold Medal game, and in 2nd the 2002 Men's Hockey Gold Medal game. :D :singing: :canadaflag: :first:

:mad::mad::mad:

All things aside, that 2010 Gold medal game was awesome!! I absolutely love Olympic hockey!

I've been hearing this debate all week in the radio, if you could choose either another Bruins cup, or a gold medal for the States which one is it? I find myself wanting the gold medal more.

One thing about us here in the States, I don't think we appreciate international competitions like this. Its a great way to show patriotism, and even in this, your hearing Bruins fans ***** about their players representing their countries. Too bad...

I for one love this and the World and Euro cup for soccer

i saw this incredible game...a great one...i am not able to say the best ever...

probably the best games will follows later (in these olympics)

OT yesterday have you seen the great Sweden women's victory relay in the 4x5 kilometres ?
Kalla was incredible...

i saw this incredible game...a great one...i am not able to say the best ever...

probably the best games will follows later (in these olympics)

OT yesterday have you seen the great Sweden women's victory relay in the 4x5 kilometres ?
Kalla was incredible...

Yes, Kalla is a frickin beast! And today we won the men's relay too! Finally some golds!

I think it depends on what you mean when you say greatest. As a biased Canuck, I think the 2010 Gold medal game was the greatest game in terms of quality, because both teams played so well and easily could have won numerous times. If that game was played 100 times, I honestly think Canada and the US win 50 times each. It was simply the best game played.

But if we're talking about the greatest upset, the greatest miracle, the greatest individual performance, the greatest significance to a country, then I would pick Lake Placid. Again, if that game is played 100 more times, the Americans might win once or twice. That was just unreal. And it inspired a whole generation of Americans, and 2010 and this year wouldn't have ever been possible without that moment.

The US-Russia game was a great game, but let's not get carried away. It's like people proclaiming Nick Foles the best QB in the league after throwing 7 TDs and starting the season with 16 TDs vs. 0 INTs. USA Today, I'm looking at you. :bricks:

Yes, Kalla is a frickin beast! And today we won the men's relay too! Finally some golds!

compliments;as for the men's race we got fifth ... I was hoping at some point in bronze ...

someone is following the two-man bobsleigh race?

Russia and Usa looks good also here...

Congratulations! I always enjoy watching sports in the Olympics that I usually never get to watch. The dedication of these athletes and the true love of their sports is inspiring.

The Olympics is like a sports viewing buffet........umm......sorry, Husse, I meant smorgasbord! :)

OK. It got them to the gold medal game.

Actually it didn't. There was no Gold Medal game in 1980 Olympics for Hockey. It was a round robin tournament. It got them a chance to win Gold Medal with a win vs Finland. A loss vs Finland and they would have gotten a bronze(with USSR win later).

Going into Final Day of play

US 3 points(T vs Swe,W vs USSR)
USSR 2 points(W vs Fin, L vs USA)
Sweden 2 points (T vs US, T vs Fin)
Finland 1 point( L vs USSR, T vs Swe)

Best ever????
This game was essentially an exhibition game. All twelve make into the elimination round (though the winner of each group does get a bye).
To be best ever shouldn't the game have meaningful significance?
As far as these international rules.....I personally believe the rule that allows a single player to take every penalty shot after the mandatory three is absurd. So much for team at this point. It was awesome to watch Ushie deliver....but come on...this is about team.

Congratulations! I always enjoy watching sports in the Olympics that I usually never get to watch. The dedication of these athletes and the true love of their sports is inspiring.

The Olympics is like a sports viewing buffet........umm......sorry, Husse, I meant smorgasbord! :)

Yes, watching different sports is one of the best things about the Olympics.

Best ever????
This game was essentially an exhibition game. All twelve make into the elimination round (though the winner of each group does get a bye).
To be best ever shouldn't the game have meaningful significance?
As far as these international rules.....I personally believe the rule that allows a single player to take every penalty shot after the mandatory three is absurd. So much for team at this point. It was awesome to watch Ushie deliver....but come on...this is about team.

Best ever no. But it was a meaningful match up. Russia now has to play extra game. Then play either Can/Fin with no days rest.

Nah, Lilehammer 94 was better! :D

Lol, Touche! :D

Yeah they definitely don't show that much here either. If you live in Europe you definitely get to see more of these sports every winter.

We have the #2 seed and play winner of Czech (Krejci) vs. Slovakia (Chara)

We all know how they fared against Slovakia

Any idea when that would be, or at least an approximate guess?

I haven't been following that closely, although I did watch yesterday morning's game vs Russia. I just don't know the routine going forward.

Any idea when that would be, or at least an approximate guess?

I haven't been following that closely, although I did watch yesterday morning's game vs Russia. I just don't know the routine going forward.

Next USA game is Wednesday

And then most probably Canada in the semis.

Ya they have a bye...would be playing sooner if they weren't the top 2 seed

It is top 4 who get byes.

This is the bracket(no re-seeding-bracket locked in)

Qualification Round
Tuesday
(8)Slovenia vs (9)Austria
(5)Russia vs (12) Norway

(6)Swiss vs (11) Latvia
(7)Czech Republic vs (10)Slovakia

QF-
Wednesday-times TBA(3am,730am or 12pm)
(1)Sweden vs Slovenia/Austria winner
(4)Finland vs Russia/Norway winner

(3)Canada vs Swiss/Latvia winner
(2)USA vs C.Republic/Slovakia winner

SF-Fiday Tome TBA (7am or 12pm)
Sweden/Slovenia/Austria winner vs )Finland/Russia/Norway winner
Canada/Swiss/Latvia winner vs USA/C.Republic/Slovakia winner

Bronze Medal Saturday 2/22(10am)
Gold Medal Sunday 2/23(7am)

Actually it didn't. There was no Gold Medal game in 1980 Olympics for Hockey. It was a round robin tournament. It got them a chance to win Gold Medal with a win vs Finland. A loss vs Finland and they would have gotten a bronze(with USSR win later).
+1 and this is a trivia question that fools people 99.9% of the time. Say to them "The U.S. won hockey gold in Lake Placid in 1980 - who won the silver?"

They will think you're trying to trick them because, of course, the game against the U.S.S.R. was not the final game. So they say "Finland!" thinking you've failed in your attempt to outsmart them.

But the correct answer is indeed the U.S.S.R. Because of the tournament format, the U.S.S.R. took silver and Finland, the team the U.S. beat in that final game, got nothing.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back