PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stephon Gilmore

Status
Not open for further replies.
2016-10-31_17-33-11.jpg

2016-10-31_21-16-28.jpg

2016-10-31_21-21-14.jpg

Bills film room: Breaking down Patriots WR Chris Hogan's TD vs. Stephon Gilmore

The safety was very late getting over...he thought he had help over the top and he didn't. You can see in the second pic the safety looking like he was going to go over to that side and then he stopped for some reason.

That TD happened right in front of me as we were row 4 at the 5 yard line and you could see the safety didn't know what hit him as well.

And that picture with all the DBs and the arrows...it wasn't just Gilmore yesterday...every single back had their eyes on one guy every play it seemed. It was brutal

Trouble is, Gilmore is lost but he's directing other players and screwing everybody else up too. Fozzie's TD where Gilmore got all excited about McCaffrey and got both himself and DMac out of position. Someone pointed out another play where he was trying to direct Butler and misread something. He's just not doing his job and he's keeping his teammates from doing theirs.

Someone needs to take charge out there in the secondary and direct people and that someone can’t be Gilmore. DMAC has to take on that onus. He’s the one who needs to direct Gilmore, Rowe and Butler. Otherwise there’s going to be confusion for the rest of the season in the secondary.

The issue isn't Gilmore. Like others have said he's the scapegoat because he's the new guy. Like Logan Ryan was at times! IF Gilmore picked this up straight away like revis did then I'd of been surprised. I don't think Gilmore is a bust or a bad player.

He has came into a new system and let's be honest the Bills attitude to ours is different, plus the pressure of being a Patriot, where you are always expected to perform like a pro bowler.

It will take time and we know that. He has
Shown glimpses of being very good, he just needs to build the trust and the improvement in communications with the whole secondary as he isn't the lone wolf in this! As BB said all we have to do is "do your job" "concentrate on our assignments"

Let's get behind the boys, as we know this team is capable of going 12 wins straight even with our recent performances!

We're onto Tampa.

Someone needs to take charge out there in the secondary and direct people and that someone can’t be Gilmore. DMAC has to take on that onus. He’s the one who needs to direct Gilmore, Rowe and Butler. Otherwise there’s going to be confusion for the rest of the season in the secondary.

I couldn't agree more with this. DMAC is the captain of the secondary, he's the most experienced guy we have there. He should be commanding people. I blame everyone in the secondary for the bad standards this year so far, but the secondary is good enough to recover.

I couldn't agree more with this. DMAC is the captain of the secondary, he's the most experienced guy we have there. He should be commanding people. I blame everyone in the secondary for the bad standards this year so far, but the secondary is good enough to recover.

McCourty may have been the biggest problem on D so far. It seems his role has changed a lot, and he is struggling with it.

How do you know he is not? He seems to be a big part of the problem right now. He said it was him that allowed the 75 yard TD to Hill that everyone blamed Gilmore for, and Gilmore played it correctly based upon the call. IF communication is really the issue why would we assume its because the leader of the secondary has decided to not communicate yet?

Guys, I admit didn't follow the team closely this off-season and I'm not as tuned in to the overall league as most of you guys, so I ask the following questions with genuine curiosity and not to second guess or debate anyone:

Why did our braintrust think Gilmore was a good acquisition, and worth the big contract he got? Why did the pundits think he was such a great addition (along with Cooks) that they anointed our team as the heavy favorite to repeat?

And I ask after having just read the following article which was referenced earlier in this thread, detailing the apparent attitude issues and other problems Gilmore exhibited in Buffalo, and again I ask "why?"
Bills film room: Breaking down Patriots WR Chris Hogan's TD vs. Stephon Gilmore

McCourty may have been the biggest problem on D so far. It seems his role has changed a lot, and he is struggling with it.

Perhaps the problem is that McCourty's role has changed a lot. Would changing McCourty's role back to what it was bring him back to pro-bowl quality play? or even to average DB play?

It seems that we had a very good plan for the secondary last year with Butler and Ryan as "starters" and Rowe coming in to play outside, with Ryan moving inside. Harmon was our dime. Sometimes the roles were moved a bit, with Harmon as the nickel. The point is that it worked.

Why can't we have the same strategy toward the use of the safeties as we did last year? We have 3 excellent safeties. Apparently, it is their roles that is the problem.

THE CORNERS
Am I being too simplistic in saying that we need to decide who plays inside? If Gilmore can only play outside, so be it. If Butler can only play outside, so be it. Jones is an OK nickel (also,up Harmon can play nickel). Rowe becomes a backup in this scheme, although he could be given much more play outside against tall receivers, requiring us to sit Gilmore or Butler, since apparently neither can play inside.

I COULD BE 100% WRONG
I can accept that. However, if my plan is wrong, then I would expect Patricia to come up with a better on. I would think that Gilmore replying Ryan outside, and Jones replacing Ryan inside should be at least a viable alternative.

AN ASIDE: PLAYING AGAINST MOBILE QUARTERBACKS
IF AND ONLY IF, the secondary can play man without miscommunication, the answer seems to be playing a spy on the QB, and man against the receivers. As I recall, Ninkovich did this in the past; and others played that role before him.

Unless this problem can be solved, we will find the playoffs difficult. (perhaps, we'll get lucky and play Denver and PITT). HOU should improve greatly as their rookie QB develops. 57 points against a potential playoff team is impressive; and, he will get better. KC is likely to be as hard to handle in the playoffs as they were when we played them.

Perhaps the problem is that McCourty's role has changed a lot. Would changing McCourty's role back to what it was bring him back to pro-bowl quality play? or even to average DB play?

It seems that we had a very good plan for the secondary last year with Butler and Ryan as "starters" and Rowe coming in to play outside, with Ryan moving inside. Harmon was our dime. Sometimes the roles were moved a bit, with Harmon as the nickel. The point is that it worked.
I think that is just too simplistic. Are teams attaching us exactly the same way? How many teams did we face that run an offense like KC, Houston (the one they run now) and Carolina? How would we have defended them last year? Are chungs struggles the tipping point? McCourty seems to be doing more of chungs job this year.

Why can't we have the same strategy toward the use of the safeties as we did last year? We have 3 excellent safeties. Apparently, it is their roles that is the problem.
Our safeties have not been excellent.
Again how many teams did we face last year with this type of offense?

THE CORNERS
Am I being too simplistic in saying that we need to decide who plays inside? If Gilmore can only play outside, so be it. If Butler can only play outside, so be it. Jones is an OK nickel (also,up Harmon can play nickel). Rowe becomes a backup in this scheme, although he could be given much more play outside against tall receivers, requiring us to sit Gilmore or Butler, since apparently neither can play inside.
Yes that is very simplistic.

I COULD BE 100% WRONG
I can accept that. However, if my plan is wrong, then I would expect Patricia to come up with a better on. I would think that Gilmore replying Ryan outside, and Jones replacing Ryan inside should be at least a viable alternative.
We gave no idea what jones can do. He is just a name on the roster at this point so calling him the answer is just saying something else must be better.

It's not whether you are 100% wrong its that you are looking at a complex NFL defense with multiple schemes, fronts, coverages playing against offenses that are trying to match up to those looks with a play that will beat it and saying the answer is move this guy there.

AN ASIDE: PLAYING AGAINST MOBILE QUARTERBACKS
IF AND ONLY IF, the secondary can play man without miscommunication, the answer seems to be playing a spy on the QB, and man against the receivers. As I recall, Ninkovich did this in the past; and others played that role before him.
Taking a player out of coverage might not be best. Again a spy is a piece of the scheme and probably has been in these games but "put a soy in for all 70 plays" just isn't how it works.

Unless this problem can be solved, we will find the playoffs difficult. (perhaps, we'll get lucky and play Denver and PITT). HOU should improve greatly as their rookie QB develops. 57 points against a potential playoff team is impressive; and, he will get better. KC is likely to be as hard to handle in the playoffs as they were when we played them.
Of course it will get fixed. When has a BB team it particularly defense ever looked the same in January as September/October?

Wise, Guy, Butler, Marsh, Hightower, Van Noy, Gilmore, butler, Rowe, McCourty, Harmon, Richards.
These are all new players or players who are playing different roles at least somewhat frequently.
BB and MP have CLEARLY played different schemes and made different calls this year than last whether that be opponent related or due to our own personell changes.
It has been awful. Just terrible.
But the talent, the coaching, the knowledge, and the track record are all there.
Let the best coaching staff in the NFL work out the issues and move it forward. They will. They always do.

Not sure why they paid big money for him to play zone.

The defense might just be too much for him to grasp. Might want to just have him play man on one guy all game and leave it at that.

Not sure why they paid big money for him to play zone.

They've been avoiding man coverage because they're afraid of the quarterback taking off and running. Gilmore basically erased his man against the Saints, and he was playing against the best quarterback-receiver combination in that game of all four.

They're coaching scared of mobile QBs. It isn't working, but thankfully they're just about done with mobile QBs (only Taylor really).

He isn't the only problem but he is a major one. I counted 3 or 4 times completely blew coverage not to mention his hands to the face penalties.

Also I was talking to a bills fans and he said Gillmore has been playing like this for year. This signing is Adaluis Thomas reincarnated as a corner. Except Thomas was actually good before the pats signed him.

Last edited:
How do you know he is not? He seems to be a big part of the problem right now. He said it was him that allowed the 75 yard TD to Hill that everyone blamed Gilmore for, and Gilmore played it correctly based upon the call. IF communication is really the issue why would we assume its because the leader of the secondary has decided to not communicate yet?

Just stop AJ. Gilmore is the "only" new guy in the group (who replaced Ryan). So Gilmore sucks and we made a huge mistake letting Ryan go. Can't you see how obvious it all is!

Just stop AJ. Gilmore is the "only" new guy in the group (who replaced Ryan). So Gilmore sucks and we made a huge mistake letting Ryan go. Can't you see how obvious it all is!
No I can't because that isn't what's happening.

The defense might just be too much for him to grasp. Might want to just have him play man on one guy all game and leave it at that.
Ochocinco syndrome at corner?

The issue isn't Gilmore. Like others have said he's the scapegoat because he's the new guy. Like Logan Ryan was at times! IF Gilmore picked this up straight away like revis did then I'd of been surprised. I don't think Gilmore is a bust or a bad player.

He has came into a new system and let's be honest the Bills attitude to ours is different, plus the pressure of being a Patriot, where you are always expected to perform like a pro bowler.

It will take time and we know that. He has
Shown glimpses of being very good, he just needs to build the trust and the improvement in communications with the whole secondary
Not really getting this post. You start by claiming that it's not Gilmore's fault, but then go on to describe all of the reasons why it is his fault.

By the way, he's the only change in the secondary, so when they speak of "communication issues," who exactly do you think they're referring to? We can go through film and point out issues from Butler, Rowe, and McCourty--but that doesn't prove a damn thing. The issue is clearly the new guy and his failure to diagnose responsibility and pick up assignments. As long as that's going to happen, everyone will look bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST