PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Start rooting for pittsburgh and 2nd XMAS...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlitzFritz

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
If the Steelers beat the Dolphins in the Steel City, we get the winner of a seemingly trash game between injured Oakland and injured Houston. That could almost guarantee another Second Christmas -- an AFCCG at Gillette.

Would be the 6th for me in section 239!

What do you think about the match ups?

--> FRITZ

Seems like there is good and bad in most scenarios. If Miami wins, we'd face a Dolphins team we just took apart in their stadium...playing them in freezing weather. I bet Pats would be favored by 14. Roethlisberger is, I believe, the second most successful QB in the NFL for his postseason career, and that is one potent offense. If the Steelers lose, Alex Smith is the best remaining QB.

I think overall, it's hard to argue you should root for the Steelers. If the Patriots play like garbage, they'll lose to any team...don't see whe we would need to avoid the Dolphins at the cost of the Steelers remaining as our biggest threat.

Not following your logic. Why not hope the steelers get eliminated in the first round?

That leaves us with Miami, which I think is only marginally better than Houston or Oakland.

Would I rather face the Texans or Oakland instead of Miami? Sure, but as far as I'm concerned, the sooner the steelers get eliminated, the better. That would leave KC as the only viable threat in the AFCCG, but I'd rather face their average offense than having to go into a shootout with the rapist. Not that we can't handle the steelers, I just think we match up better with KC. I trust TB against top defenses more than I trust our secondary against a high flying offense. That, and Alex Smith paired up with the biggest ******ed coach when it comes to situational football, is preferred scenario IMO.

I will root against the Steelers knowing it is likely pointless. I do worry about beating a team 3 times but the Pats are just better. Also maybe KC gets knocked out by a bad team after Pitt is out. unlikely but could happen.

No reason to root for Pitt unless you think KC is more scary and want Pitt to maybe bump them. I would be concerned with either.

okay, i see you logic, in taking a longer term view.

--> FRITZ

Not following your logic. Why not hope the steelers get eliminated in the first round?

That leaves us with Miami, which I think is only marginally better than Houston or Oakland.

Would I rather face the Texans or Oakland instead of Miami? Sure, but as far as I'm concerned, the sooner the steelers get eliminated, the better. That would leave KC as the only viable threat in the AFCCG, but I'd rather face their average offense than having to go into a shootout with the rapist. Not that we can't handle the steelers, I just think we match up better with KC. I trust TB against top defenses more than I trust our secondary against a high flying offense. That, and Alex Smith paired up with the biggest ******ed coach when it comes to situational football, is preferred scenario IMO.

Pittsburgh is the toughest AFC team left, slightly ahead of KC. Definitely would rather play Miami again, in Foxboro in January weather. They just showed us Miami heat, let's show them a nor'easter or at least New England chill.

I would root against the Steelers and not just becasue I hate them.

I think the Steelers are one of the few teams (Ravens and Giants being the others) in which I genuinely feel like playing on the road in the playoffs does NOT rattle them. In fact, they almost seem to embrace it.

On the flip side take a team like the Dolphins in which I think they would crumble in the cold weather (whcih is also why I don't realistically think they beat Pitt).

I would root against the Steelers and not just becasue I hate them.

I think the Steelers are one of the few teams (Ravens and Giants being the others) in which I genuinely feel like playing on the road in the playoffs does NOT rattle them. In fact, they almost seem to embrace it.

On the flip side take a team like the Dolphins in which I think they would crumble in the cold weather (whcih is also why I don't realistically think they beat Pitt).
The steelers under mike Tonkin have won 1 road playoff game in 9 years and it was gifted to them last year by burfict, pacman and the bengals.
Since 2012 they are 20-20 on the road.

Tricky situation. I understand wanting to have the Steelers eliminated ASAP. But I'm also a little conflicted on which is the lesser of two evils for the AFC CG between them and the Chiefs. Both present different challenges. The Steelers with their offense and playoff experience, the Chiefs with their defense and a nimble quarterback who has given us trouble before (not to mention their speed demon Tyreek Hill, a matchup nightmare). I see no way the Pats don't face one of these two in the conference championship. So I'd rather they face each other in the divisional round and beat the crap out of one another while doing it.

Another thing is as far as second round opponents go, the Dolphins to me would be the toughest draw to get. Yes the Pats beat them twice already, but there's something to be said about facing a familiar foe. Miami threatened late in both games, and they have that dirty POS Suh. Also the last time I wanted the Pats to face a division foe in the playoffs, was the 2010 season and we remember how that ended. Not saying these Dolphins are as good as those Jets, but it's a case of be careful what you wish for.

I think any of the AFC teams save Houston and Carr-less Oakland could give the Pats trouble, but I'm also confident the Pats will be victorious regardless of opponent. It's a physically and mentally tough team.

The steelers under mike Tonkin have won 1 road playoff game in 9 years and it was gifted to them last year by burfict, pacman and the bengals.
Since 2012 they are 20-20 on the road.

I'm probably over-glamourizing the 2005 run in my mind but I still think they wouldn't be as rattled on the road as some other teams.

Since 2012, their 21-20 away record during that time is still the best of the other remaining AFC teams (Pats were 27-14 on the road in the same span).

If the Steelers beat the Dolphins in the Steel City, we get the winner of a seemingly trash game between injured Oakland and injured Houston. That could almost guarantee another Second Christmas -- an AFCCG at Gillette.

Would be the 6th for me in section 239!

What do you think about the match ups?

--> FRITZ

You want them to face Houston/Oakland. No question about it.

The hardest divisional matchup would be miami in my opinion, Obviously the easiest road would be Miami then probably Oakland. But Its very unlikely Oakland or Houston goes into Kc and wins. I do think its going to be Pitt at New England in the afc title, and I will be in attendance

best case scenario in my eyes for the pats in increase order of difficulty

Oakland/Houston/KC/Pittsburgh/Lions/Atlanta/Giants/GB/Seattle/Dallas

The chiefs really dont scare me, They cant stop the run

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey