PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

speculation: Reggine wayne may be leaving Indy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Totally incorrect. Patriots and Colts are on totally opposite ends of the spectrum in pass attack.

The beauty of the Colts offense is that it is not a complicated offense. It is based on simplicity and repetition, not flexibility. It's like clockwork. They aren't going to confuse their opponents with lots of formations or complicated routes. They almost always run out of the same 3/1/1 set. In addition, they stick to a limited number of concepts compared to other teams, but they execute it exceedingly well.

The Colts can sell these kind of plays because they are precise route runners. So even when a defender anticipates a route, or has a good idea of the play, he simply can't hang. The plays are also intentionally repetitive. It's a trick that they've borrowed from the old K-Gun offense that the Bills ran in their heyday (GMd by Polian). So they get to see their plays many times against many different coverages. Because of this, Manning should automatically know what receiver to look too once he gets a read on the D. Meanwhile, because the pass plays and the routes running of the WRs looks so similar, the D is often on their heels - they never quite know what will change. It's all the same. It minimizes their defensive playbook.

The Patriots? Totally opposite. They are an NFL run-n-shoot style offense. The basic philosophy? No play is the wrong play, because every play changes post-snap. Welker recently stated that on every play he can have as many as half a dozen different routes that he can select....based on the post snap read.

The Pats Offense is so flexible post-snap, they can get away with having less physically gifted receivers as long as they know how to read a D and find the seams in it by allowing the "moving parts" after the snap. The Colts offense is faster and more agile, but not flexible after the snap. Peyton has to select the correct play. Yet, because it's so repetitive by nature, it is essential to have elite talent at the receiver position. Even when the D has a good idea of whats coming, it's essential that the receivers can simply out run, and out execute the DBs. That's where the Colts deadly precision and timing pays off.

With NE, it's about reading the D post-snap and selecting the proper route. That's why our WRs have 6 routes at a time. That's why our guys are known for the ability to read a D, rather than physical attributes.....
This is brilliant!

I wonder why they have a hard time finding receivers, I would think they could scour college ranks for "thinking man's" receivers who aren't going to be drafted that highly due to lack of overwhelming physical skills.

Unless he's coming in on a one year deal, I'll wish him well as he goes elsewhere.

Bill likes him as a player. Wouldn't mind bringing him here. He runs all the routes in the route tree. Plus I want Colts fans to cry.
I'd rather have them pulling the stuffing out of their teddy bears as we win the SB in their house :rocker:

But, Wayne...provided he can run in our system (and I see no reason he can't but BB forgot more about talent evaluation in the last day than i ever knew)

This is brilliant!

I wonder why they have a hard time finding receivers, I would think they could scour college ranks for "thinking man's" receivers who aren't going to be drafted that highly due to lack of overwhelming physical skills.

Why? Well, Wes Welker is pretty much the poster boy for this type of guy. But he played at Texas Tech for Mike Leach. Tech isn't a big time program. But put Tech on the map cause he was like, a huge, spread offensive guru in his time (sound familiar?). He totally knew how to bring in guys like Wes, because even coming out of High School, Welker was totally overlooked. Couldn't land a scholarship anywhere.

I'd imagine that players like Welker or Troy Brown don't just get passed over in the pros. It's probably in college too....unless you have a crazy, outside-the-box guru like Leach who's willing to do something different.

His teammate Jeff Saturday, also about to be a free agent, may be a better fit. Joins up with his new buddy, Robert Kraft.

LOL, except that the Colts offense is very complex as well and is close to the system in N.E.

It's not remotely close and it's only complex for the QB. Indy's system is pretty straight forward and simple. It's a timing system and Manning does all the reading pre snap in the no huddle. There are not post snap reads. It's on the WR's to run precise routes. But they don't have to think. Just listen. It's actually a pretty simple system with few substitions or personnel packages, they do what they do and if they execute it's hard to stop.

Yeah, Wayne isn't anything like the guys you just mentioned. Nor is Ochocinco anything like Donte Stallworth or Joey Galloway. Nor were Stallworth or Galloway anything alike at the age they joined. Nor was Torry Holt like them. And Torry Holt failed because of injury.

Basically your post could not be more wrong besides "He's one of the best of his generation" and there's no reason to think Wayne wouldn't make a fine target for Brady.

Personally, after watching Belichick seek him out specifically following the Colts game this year, I pretty much wrote him into next year's depth chart...

His post is spot on. After the Ocho Cinco Experiment I would hope Bill thinks long and hard before bringing in a anther veteran WR whose talent as displayed in a totally different system he admires or who just makes him chuckle...

Jeff Saturday is old and done.

Ill pass, Id rather us get younger/faster at the position.

I wouldn't mind bringing him in but WR is the position that scares me in that 30 year old unsigned Wes Welker is the talented youth on the roster. I suppose you can add Edelman but he still hasn't proven to be a consistent playmaker. I'm not saying the draft is the only way to go but I'd rather see someone younger brought in, even if it comes through free agency.

somebody help me out here...if we sign Reggine Wayne won't that make us the first team in NFL history to field a woman player in the NFL?

somebody help me out here...if we sign Reggine Wayne won't that make us the first team in NFL history to field a woman player in the NFL?

I think you mistaken Reggie Wayne to Mark Sanchez. :D

How many old guys are we going to pick up? At this point we can have tuesday afternoon bingo followed by a nap time and bengay foot rubs.

How many old guys are we going to pick up? At this point we can have tuesday afternoon bingo followed by a nap time and bengay foot rubs.

LOL. This team is quite young, mostly on the Defense. Love to pick up some veteran FS.

At this point we can have tuesday afternoon bingo followed by a nap time and bengay foot rubs.

uh...Wrecks Ryan has already beaten us to this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3