PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

speculation: Reggine wayne may be leaving Indy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bill likes him as a player. Wouldn't mind bringing him here. He runs all the routes in the route tree. Plus I want Colts fans to cry.

If he comes in at a moderate price (will be 34 next year) and is an upgrade over Branch, I'm all for it.

Also, they stole Adam V from us. About time we retaliated . :D

I've heard rumors that he wants to play in a warm city, specifically Florida. He's definitely leaving Indy if not franchised though.

Former Pro-Bowl outside receiver, turning 34 years old, declining production that could be attributed to eroding physical skills and poor recent QB play. Isn't really a deep threat anymore, but could operate in the intermediate part of the field. Has only played in one system his entire career, however.

Sound familiar?

Last edited:
I've heard rumors that he wants to play in a warm city, specifically Florida. He's definitely leaving Indy if not franchised though.
I hear Irish whiskey warms a man in Boston.

Hasn't missed a game in 10 years. Impressive.

Former Pro-Bowl outside receiver, turning 34 years old, declining production that could be attributed to eroding physical skills and poor recent QB play. Isn't really a deep threat anymore, but could operate in the intermediate part of the field. Has only played in one system his entire career, however.

Sound familiar?

Are you saying Indy's offense is similar to Cincinnati's? I didn't think so.

Wasn't he looking to be paid like a #1? It's possible, but it all comes down to what he's willing to accept.

I'd like this, but i personally view it as a very unlikely outside chance he comes here. Ocho has had ties to NE for years, trading for him seemed like a no-brainer the past few seasons.

I can't see anything other than price (certainly not Price) that would prevent him from becoming an excellent Patriot, and maybe what they had hoped Ochocinco would bring to the receiving corp this year, and more.

Love this guy, and Belichick loves him too.

Sound familiar?

LOL, except that the Colts offense is very complex as well and is close to the system in N.E.

He's one of the best of his generation...

But WRs of his skill set have never panned out in NE. I'm thinking of Ocho, Stallworth, Joey Galloway, and even guys like Chad Jackson or Belthel, or even the brief stint w/ Torry Holt.

Wayne is like a graceful racehorse. Finesse. Precision.

We need smaller shiftier guys who don't get by on running a fixed route just the right way, so elegantly, like Wayne. Rather, we need ones who can read the field and make adjustments. Muck it out. Wes, Troy, even guys like Jabar and Tim Dwight fit the profile pretty well.

Or tall and rangy freaks of nature like Moss. As a corollary, I'd point to Brandon Marshall or even (ugh) Plaxico as guys who would physically fit the profile (but not mentally ;)).

Just not a good fit, IMO.

Really? You're not counting comedy routines as Belichicks straight man as "ties" I hope.

Ocho has been very good friends with Bill and Tom for quite some time, yes, I count those as ties.

He's one of the best of his generation...

But WRs of his skill set have never panned out in NE. I'm thinking of Ocho, Stallworth, Joey Galloway, and even guys like Chad Jackson or Belthel, or even the brief stint w/ Torry Holt.

Wayne is like a graceful racehorse. Finesse. Precision.

Yeah, Wayne isn't anything like the guys you just mentioned. Nor is Ochocinco anything like Donte Stallworth or Joey Galloway. Nor were Stallworth or Galloway anything alike at the age they joined. Nor was Torry Holt like them. And Torry Holt failed because of injury.

Basically your post could not be more wrong besides "He's one of the best of his generation" and there's no reason to think Wayne wouldn't make a fine target for Brady.

Personally, after watching Belichick seek him out specifically following the Colts game this year, I pretty much wrote him into next year's depth chart...

LOL, except that the Colts offense is very complex as well and is close to the system in N.E.

Totally incorrect. Patriots and Colts are on totally opposite ends of the spectrum in pass attack.

The beauty of the Colts offense is that it is not a complicated offense. It is based on simplicity and repetition, not flexibility. It's like clockwork. They aren't going to confuse their opponents with lots of formations or complicated routes. They almost always run out of the same 3/1/1 set. In addition, they stick to a limited number of concepts compared to other teams, but they execute it exceedingly well.

The Colts can sell these kind of plays because they are precise route runners. So even when a defender anticipates a route, or has a good idea of the play, he simply can't hang. The plays are also intentionally repetitive. It's a trick that they've borrowed from the old K-Gun offense that the Bills ran in their heyday (GMd by Polian). So they get to see their plays many times against many different coverages. Because of this, Manning should automatically know what receiver to look too once he gets a read on the D. Meanwhile, because the pass plays and the routes running of the WRs looks so similar, the D is often on their heels - they never quite know what will change. It's all the same. It minimizes their defensive playbook.

The Patriots? Totally opposite. They are an NFL run-n-shoot style offense. The basic philosophy? No play is the wrong play, because every play changes post-snap. Welker recently stated that on every play he can have as many as half a dozen different routes that he can select....based on the post snap read.

The Pats Offense is so flexible post-snap, they can get away with having less physically gifted receivers as long as they know how to read a D and find the seams in it by allowing the "moving parts" after the snap. The Colts offense is faster and more agile, but not flexible after the snap. Peyton has to select the correct play. Yet, because it's so repetitive by nature, it is essential to have elite talent at the receiver position. Even when the D has a good idea of whats coming, it's essential that the receivers can simply out run, and out execute the DBs. That's where the Colts deadly precision and timing pays off.

With NE, it's about reading the D post-snap and selecting the proper route. That's why our WRs have 6 routes at a time. That's why our guys are known for the ability to read a D, rather than physical attributes.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST