PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Trading 2025 1st , what can we get?

I suppose that we could trade with Giants if they offer enough and expect to take Nix (or Penix) at 6.

At this point, with lots of time left, It seem quite possible that 4 QB's are drafted in the top 5 picks, especially given the awful draft class in 2025.

That proposed trade with the Giants isn't a balanced trade, they wouldn't give up both of their 2nds to move from 6 to 3. We could probably get their high 2nd rounder (39) and their 4th (108), so we wouldn't have #47.

The bigger issue is I doubt Penix will still be around at 34, not even close. Of the top 20 picks, there are 9 QB-needy teams if you assume we pick a non-QB with our 1st selection and try to get a QB with our second selection: Bears, Commanders, Giants, Falcons, Vikings, Broncos, Raiders, Seahawks, Steelers. There's 2 quality vets in Fields and Cousins that will land on 2 of those teams, but that still leaves 7 teams picking ahead of us at 34 (assume Mayfield stays in Tampa, and I'm not counting Russell Wilson, he's not a top QB anymore).

There's only 6 top-tier QB's in this draft: Williams, Daniels, Maye, McCarthy, Nix, Penix. We'd have to jump up ahead of the Seahawks and Steelers, to 15 or 14. To do that from 34, we'd have to throw in the 2nd rounder that the Giants would be giving us. So the net of all that is we pick at 6-15-68 instead of 3-34-68, and end up with Odunze/Penix instead Maye/McConkey. We'd score an extra 4th rounder, but trading with the Giants is not a move I'd make.

I've said it before, but I think the best move is try to trade down to 4 with Arizona, and the comp for us would be moving up from 34 to their 27th, and also get one of their three 3rd rounders.
The proposed trade is not balanced. It skews in NYGs favor.

The precedent fro moving from 6 to 3 is two 2nds and a 2nd next year. That's what Indy got in the Sam Darnold trade in 2018.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back