PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Speculation: McDaniels to the Raiders nearly done. [Confirmed DONE1/31/22]

So, it’s not a done deal Ziegler will be offered the GM job. Doesn’t that sound a little peculiar? It sounds like an out to me.

It will probably be official by the time I finish this post (by official I mean reported by Adam Schefter ). But, I still think there’s a chance McDaniels to Vegas falls through with the Raiders turning to Jim Harbaugh instead.

Let go get Bill Obrein back.
So, it’s not a done deal Ziegler will be offered the GM job. Doesn’t that sound a little peculiar? It sounds like an out to me.

It will probably be official by the time I finish this post (by official I mean reported by Adam Schefter ). But, I still think there’s a chance McDaniels to Vegas falls through with the Raiders turning to Jim Harbaugh instead.
I don’t think they would agree to to the staff just to pick a different GM

Please don’t tell me Gase is a serious option if Josh goes.

Let go get Bill Obrein back.

I don’t think they would agree to to the staff just to pick a different GM
Then, why is it not a done deal yet? This is pure speculation and perhaps some wishful thinking on my part, but leaking out that Ziegler may not be offered the GM position sounds like a face saving out for the Raiders if McDaniels were to turn them down. Or, an explanation if the Raiders chose to offer their job to someone else.

Please don’t tell me Gase is a serious option if Josh goes.

Rather O'Brien for the OC familiar with the O and got a 2 TE set to work. Less change for Mac.

Rather O'Brien for the OC familiar with the O and got a 2 TE set to work. Less change for Mac.
I think choices are Obrein, Gase, Caley, O’Shea, Judge, anyone else worth mentioning?

Then, why is it not a done deal yet? This is pure speculation and perhaps some wishful thinking on my part, but leaking out that Ziegler may not be offered the GM position sounds like a face saving out for the Raiders if McDaniels were to turn them down. Or, an explanation if the Raiders chose to offer their job to someone else.
I look at it from Mark Davis position.
If Mcdaniels was your first or second choice, add the fact the report is Mcdaniels blew them away in interview.
So if we believe this to be true Ziegler was one of the top 3 Gms they have been linked to.
So unless you can get and like Harbaugh and his staff better, are you going to let Mcdaniels walk to get a GM you almost have equally ranked to his guy?
I just find that to be unlikely.

When did he get “cancelled”? Always been a reliable source…..what did I miss?
He made an insensitive comment a while back that got him into trouble, which saw him lose his job:

That being said, in terms of is NFL reporting, he's been consistently correct during the previous decades when he held a more prominent position with the previous publications he was affiliated with.

Last edited:
So, what are the odds we can get Bill O’Brien back here ? You would think being an NFL OC is more desirable than being a college OC. And it would be a better choice for the Pats than any other OC, since Mac TAUGHT him the Alabama offense, and he’s comfortable with Bill O’Brien. Plus O’Brien really took advantage of the two TE system here when he was the OC.

It really makes too much sense to not be a high possibility. Bill is a little weird with former assistants though. What are your thoughts. I wonder if Belichick/O’Brien would be interested.
I’m not interested in BOB. I’d like BOB2.0, another up and coming coach brought in to take over for McDaniels and run the offense we have in place. BOB had been here for 2 years at that point and those 2 years were offensive assistant and WR coach. When McD left he was QB coach and untitled OC for 2 years before getting the title.
Lonbardi has a very similar background.

There are many reasons a deal would not be announced other than its in trouble.
Money and contract terms for both of them is one. Agreeing on the organization structure would be another.
He interviewed last night, not being done yet isn’t news.

?? The second post is from RW.
Actually the first is from RW the second is too him, and neither have anything to do with a plssing match about why someone made a post in a thread someone else thinks it doesn’t belong in. (Which we can all agree the argument doesn’t belong in either)

I’m not interested in BOB. I’d like BOB2.0, another up and coming coach brought in to take over for McDaniels and run the offense we have in place. BOB had been here for 2 years at that point and those 2 years were offensive assistant and WR coach. When McD left he was QB coach and untitled OC for 2 years before getting the title.
Lonbardi has a very similar background.
I was just looking up Charlie Weiss, he’s still ONLY 65. But I found out something interesting. His son, Charlie Weiss Jr, was just named the OC & QB coach of Ole Miss. Before that, he was the OC and QB coach of Florida Atlantic and South Florida.

Interestingly enough, he was an offensive assistant for the Atlanta Falcons, under none other than OC Steve Sarkisian in 2017. Weiss Jr. might be a name to keep an eye on for the future. Sarkisian’s offense game plans were masterful and helped Mac become a stud in Alabama. Worked under Lane Kiffin at Florida Atlantic, and for his Dad at Alabama when his dad was an offensive consultant. The kid has SOME history at such a young age (28) working for some extremely successful offensive minds. Allegedly was the youngest OC in NCAA history when he was named OC/QB coach at age 24 in 2018 for Florida Atlantic.

I was just looking up Charlie Weiss, he’s still ONLY 65. But I found out something interesting. His son, Charlie Weiss Jr, was just named the OC & QB coach of Ole Miss. Before that, he was the OC and QB coach of Florida Atlantic and South Florida.

Interestingly enough, he was an offensive assistant for the Atlanta Falcons, under none other than OC Steve Sarkisian in 2017. Weiss Jr. might be a name to keep an eye on for the future. Sarkisian’s offense game plans were masterful and helped Mac become a stud in Alabama. Worked under Lane Kiffin at Florida Atlantic, and for his Dad at Alabama when his dad was an offensive consultant. The kid has SOME history at such a young age (28) working for some extremely successful offensive minds. Allegedly was the youngest OC in NCAA history when he was named OC/QB coach at age 24 in 2018 for Florida Atlantic.
The kid is rising thru the ranks would love to give him a spot on the team.

I think choices are Obrein, Gase, Caley, O’Shea, Judge, anyone else worth mentioning?
My reaction if Gase is hired:

Jim Carrey Omg GIF

You think he wants to live in Daddy's shadow his entire life?

Yes if he has no talent. Then why take the risk.

If he's supremely talented, then the opposite. He would bristle at being told he got the job because he's the boss's son and would be itching to leave and prove himself.

I bet the former.

The problem with your posts:
- Daboll wasn't the focus of this thread.
- It was already acknowledged that Daboll wasn't an option in the OP. (see where it says - he's not a free agent)
- Daboll hadn't been signed by the Giants when this thread started (1:51pm).
- I'd already acknowledged the signing of Daboll in it's own thread more than an 2 hours before you showed up here to "inform me" in this one.
- When you posted something in another thread doesn't change when you posted it in this one.

Now you’re shifting arguments. You do realize that wasn’t the answer you gave before, don’t you?

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back