PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Speculation: McDaniels to the Raiders nearly done. [Confirmed DONE1/31/22]

DaBruinz

Pats, B's, Sox
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
So, the rumors of McDaniels going to the Raiders is almost a done deal. So much so that McDaniels rebuffed requests to interview with other teams and he's supposedly reaching out to other coaches to fill out the assistant positions he'd need.

IF this is true, I hope that he takes Steven with him and not Mayo, though Mayo leaving would likely net the Patriots a 3rd round comp pick.

IF this is true, I'm not sure who else would be likely to go with him..

IF McDaniels goes, BB is going to have to go outside the organization for an OC because I don't see one on the staff. I don't want O'Brien back. I'd love to steal Daboll from the Bills, but he's not a FA right now..

If Mayo leaves, I'd want BB to bring Flores back as the DC. I think that Flores has the competency to get the most out of this defense and I believe that BB would have the confidence in Flores to manage the D, allowing BB to focus on the O since there would a large turnover there. As I mentioned in another thread, I think that Steve Belichick's assets make him best as a position coach or a Position scout.

With the NFL changing it's COVID rules, I hope that Cole Popovich is officially reinstated as the Patriots O-line coach. He was clearly missed and Bricillo/Yates weere in over their heads without Dante as a guiding force.

There has been speculation that Ivan Fears is retiring. If so, I agree that I'd like to see Kevin Faulk tapped as the new RB coach..

Question is what coaches is Josh using for his staff?
I’d have to think he’s taking at least 3 to 5 from our current and past staff.

Question is what coaches is Josh using for his staff?
I’d have to think he’s taking at least 3 to 5 from our current and past staff.
I don't think he would. Most of the Pats coaching staff is YOUNG outside of Ivan Fears. Here are the years on the coaching staff, not including years as a coaching assistant or in scouting.

Vinnie Sunsuri - RB - 2 years
Troy Brown - WR/KR - 3 years
Nick Caley - TE/FB - 5 yrs/4yrs
Carmen Bricillo - 3 years
Mick Lombardi - WR - 2years /1yr QB Asst. Coach
Billy Yates - 1 yr (4 yrs total)
Bo Hardegree - 1yr 4 years (coached QBs in Miami before a 2 year stint with the Jets.)

Defense:
Demarcus Covington - DL- 2yrs (3 total)
Jerod Mayo- ILB- 3 yrs
Steve Belichick - OLB - 2 yrs - (6 in total)
Brian Belichick - S - 3 years
Mike Pelligrino - CB - 3 years
Cam Achord -ST - 3 years (5 total)
Joe Houston - ST - 2 years

Unless McDaniels "SEES" something in one of the coaches the only ones I see him looking at are Mayo and Steve Belichick. Maybe Caley with the work that Caley has done with Jakob Johnson.

Last edited:
Is Flores near to go to the Nyg ?
Not sure what you mean.. The last I heard is that Flores had an interview with the Saints lined up. That nothing was imminent with the Giants.

My intention would be for Flores to also have the title of Asst. Head Coach and be the heir apparent to BB.

Not sure how reliable this is

Exactly.

If McDaniel's does not produce he is out. Stevie has it made in NE. Kraft isnt going to fire a 6 time Super Bowl winning GM/HC.
Yup, Steve is protected. He won’t get demoted or fired. Bill will do everything he can to setup one of his son’s to take over.

Split the workload straight down the middle.

Stevie calls the defense

Bill calls the offense.

Yup, Steve is protected. He won’t get demoted or fired. Bill will do everything he can to setup one of his son’s to take over.
Steve may as well pick out a nice boat and house on Marthas Vineyard.

I'd bet good money that JMcD had a phone call or two to Tom about Allen and the Raiders.

tom-brady-speaks-with-raiders-owner-mark-davis..jpg

If Flores gets a new HC gig, BB might look to Patrick Graham (Giants DC) or Josh Boyer (Fins DC).

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back