PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Speculating on my optimism

For all the talk of coaching mistakes, I feel the team has more talent on it this year than the last 2 years. Funny, nobody ever said coaching was a problem in the past...always was a strength....interesting.

Anybody else notice the media acts like McDaniels was a known OC when he started in NE? He was slowly given that responsibility and his claim to fame was the 2007 season.

For all the talk of coaching mistakes, I feel the team has more talent on it this year than the last 2 years. Funny, nobody ever said coaching was a problem in the past...always was a strength....interesting.
It’s the best all around talent we’ve had since we won the SB in 2018-19.

I think it's a reflection of the "Bill being Bill is BAD" lobby. That also explains the Josh McDaniels inconsistency. While Josh McDaniels was calling our plays he was terrible and the worst playcaller in the league and so on. That's because BB was so stupid he kept McDaniels. Then when McDaniels left, it is also a weakness, because we have D guys calling the offense. BB famously things football people are football people. Since he is a football person and I am not, I kind of cede that point. If you're in the media you tend to think that you, too, are a football person, and besides, you get paid to argue that. So, ta da. You have the contrary opinion (usually prefaced with "far be it from me to question Bill Belichick but..."

They've been feeling themselves lately, of course, given no playoff wins in the last 2 years. Best to get it out of their systems now, is my thinking.

By the way, I agree that there's a deficit there, and probably so does BB. But for whatever reason, right now is not the time to try to replace Scar. The right personnel isn't there, it would be just another variable when BB is in the lab trying to reinvent football, whatever. Is being short at positions a problem? Probably. Can one of the other 8 billion people in the world do a job better than your son? Probably. Does BB weigh allllll of that more heavily than the factors that resulted in the staff we have now? No. Am I in a position to intelligently argue that there is a better course of action? Well I could, but I have to speculate a world where Belichick is less likely to have the right answer than me. The tragedy of being a Pats fan.
It’s the best all around talent we’ve had since we won the SB in 2018-19.
I think that's true but the limit put on the whole O by an o-line still trying to figure it out can put the rest of that talent on ice awfully fast. That's why I have low expectations right now for W1, and with it the rest of September. Of course, we've just been blacked out for more than a week and we don't know what they have installed, what they disguised or just didn't use in preseason, etc.

You must be the life of the party everywhere you go! It's amazing how much you over estimate other teams and under estimate the Pats.

You think Ryan is a savior in Indy? He had arguably a better team in Atlanta a few years ago and he couldn't do **** with it. The Steelers with Mitch ****ing Tribisky...please.

The Ravens, I must of missed their playoff game last year somehow.

And you assume that Russel Wilson will get it done in Denver when he couldn't get it done in Seattle last year. Now don't get me wrong he should make them a playoff team but again there is a reason he is no longer in Seattle.

Bengals are the real deal. But, they should be the division winner, not a wild card team. The Raiders are interesting. And you left off the Chargers a team that should actually compete for a playoff spot unlike Pittsburgh.
Don't forget BB owns the Chargers

I seem to be in the extreme minority, but I don't think that the McDaniels loss is that big of a deal. I believe that it's important for a long standing coach to have new challenges and have new coordinators every so often. Bill, who taught Josh, is apparently the offensive coordinator with Judge and Patricia serving in more of a supporting role. And for all of the doom and gloom being reported in the preseason there are a lot of little things that point to this setup not being a complete disaster - such as Mac actually increasing his TC completion percentage (71%) while facing the number one defense more often than he did last year
You're not in the minority. Changing OC's is pretty common, I'd like to know the average duration of an OC with a given team. We don't run McDaniels' offense, we run Belichick's offense, who's the greatest coach and strategist in history. I love that with Josh leaving, he's making changes to that system. Also I have no doubt that Patricia can call this offensive plan on Sundays, he's a very capable experienced coach, at least on a par with Josh.

LOL I'm not intimidated because I'm not on the field. If Von Miller comes to my house, I am intimidated.
I just can't take the guy seriously.

I'd roll my eyes and say something like, "Yeah, our O-line sucked that day, but we still would have beat you if the coach just let the kicker kick. Whatever. What's your name again?"

Do you think we're as good as the Bengals?

Then we can win it this year.

We beat all of them, a lot actually. We had very good defenses. We never beat Elway because he never started against Grogan or Flutie.

Going a bit further back, we beat Bert Jones, and Griese, and Namath in the 70's.

So we'll see how good our defense is this year.

I'm not saying Allen (or Mahomes) stink; they're very simply beatable. There's no team in the league the Patriots can't beat, if they play well, if they're coached well, and if they develop team chemistry and determination.
"There's no team in the league the Patriots can't beat, if they play well, if they're coached well, and if they develop team chemistry and determination."

Thats the old "Any Given Sunday" speech. The kind of stuff that bad teams say before the season starts.

"There's no team in the league the Patriots can't beat, if they play well, if they're coached well, and if they develop team chemistry and determination."

Thats the old "Any Given Sunday" speech. The kind of stuff that bad teams say before the season starts.
I disagree. For most of Patriots history this has been true. Do I know specifically why?

The Boston professional athletic atmosphere is more conducive to intelligence and focus than other areas of the country?

Boston sports fans are spoiled. Rotten. There is no other city in the country with such a history of competitiveness and success on the professional level.

The "Any Given Sunday" is applicable to most other teams, and all of them, including the Patriots, at one time or another.

I think that the Patriots have always flown under the national radar. It's one reason they only got attention when something unusual or stupid happens. But local media is mostly responsible for ignorance and dismissal of the team's success.

Boston is different. More attention is paid to sports around here than in other cities.

But, the big thing that my statement is based upon is the results under Parcells & Belichick. They speak for themselves.

McDaniels is definitely a huge loss. I think the loss of JC is manageable, well both are really. But I think the loss of Josh will be more noticeable.
Some friends around here are jumping for joy that he's finally gone. I'm totally good with it.

Losing Bill will be another story. No he's not perfect. But he's not replaceable, either.
I believe with the improvement on the DL and hopefully the youth movement at LB will speed up the rush and will give the secondary some protection. I also think the Rookie Jones is going to have a really good year. And the Safeties are among the best groups in the NFL.
To be good - and we're not going anywhere if the defense is not good - they need to develop and communicate together. They need to be a cohesive unit. This is easier said than done, but I like the Patriots' coaches.

I disagree. For most of Patriots history this has been true. Do I know specifically why?

The Boston professional athletic atmosphere is more conducive to intelligence and focus than other areas of the country?

Boston sports fans are spoiled. Rotten. There is no other city in the country with such a history of competitiveness and success on the professional level.

The "Any Given Sunday" is applicable to most other teams, and all of them, including the Patriots, at one time or another.

I think that the Patriots have always flown under the national radar. It's one reason they only got attention when something unusual or stupid happens. But local media is mostly responsible for ignorance and dismissal of the team's success.

Boston is different. More attention is paid to sports around here than in other cities.

But, the big thing that my statement is based upon is the results under Parcells & Belichick. They speak for themselves.
Boston sports fans are spoiled. Agree with you there. Especially football in the last 20 years. Although we had our moments (86 and 97) watching the patriots from the late seventies to 2000, was tough, especially in the Marino and Elway years. But that brings me back to why I asked you what you meant by it. Players like Marino, Elway, Manning, our Brady, and now Mahomes, Allen are serious challenges to any opposing coach. You used the words "not intimidated" which could mean a lot of things. But honestly a healthy dose of respect for those players or "fear" (another loaded word) is not a bad thing for opposing coaches to have.

As for the Any Given Sunday response to your comment, i still think thats appropriate. You could substitute any of the 32 NFL teams in that statement, and they could get away with it... uh except maybe the Jets :)

MGC, ya shoulda stayed in your Lost Weekend-induced haze of optimism, so ya wouldn't have had to watch the reality of yesterday...

MGC, ya shoulda stayed in your Lost Weekend-induced haze of optimism, so ya wouldn't have had to watch the reality of yesterday...
16 games to go brother. Teams start out 4-0, 3-1 all the time and end up ****ting themselves for many reasons. And other teams start slow and kick it late. **** happens every single year. Usually after week five teams start showing who they are with the exception of the elite and just ****ty teams. Which we are neither.

Still good. Defense was very good. Need to clean up some tackling but that is a problem that is simply league wide and the mental gaffes are the ones that are frustrating. But overall they did a good jobs. Speed was evident especially at the second level.

Get the OL to be consistent and we should be in good shape.

The craziest part is if Miami had a better QB they win by 30.
Be ause the TV showed a wide open Hill once? Hopefully I'll have time to watch the all 22. Am traveling this week. But I didn't see him leave to many plays out there from the TV view.

I know that things looked bad, Mac is taking too much heat for a team loss. Compare the interception in the end zone where the Miami corner won the battle vs. Parker against the Hill catch where he took the pass away from one of the Jones boys. As Gisele would say Mac can't throw the ball and catch it while blocking at the line of scrimmage. The real loss yesterday was if Mac will be compromised the rest of the season which will set the process back until next year. If that happens the media will be sure to inflict enough mental damage to the rest of the team to really make this a lost season.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back