PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Speculating on my optimism

Preseason results/performance is entirely meaningless. The 6x SB champion dynasty was running offensive plays into bad looks on purpose as part of a streamlining of the offense and also just to f*** with everyone for the laughs. Bill Belichick is literally sitting on his throne with his 8 rings on his fingers reading this stuff on his phone and giggling as he scratches his enormous ball sack.

There’s literally no way the Patriots are getting a wildcard with the Ravens, Steelers, Chiefs, Bengals, Broncos, Raiders, Colts, Titans, etc in the AFC. Other divisions are stacked to semi-stacked. The West has one of the wildcard slots all but locked the **** up before the season starts, and there’s too many other solid enough teams in the Conference where the Patriots will need a miracle.

It’ll be draft talk by week 11. The Patriots position in its own division likely weaker than it was last year by at least one standing.
You must be the life of the party everywhere you go! It's amazing how much you over estimate other teams and under estimate the Pats.

You think Ryan is a savior in Indy? He had arguably a better team in Atlanta a few years ago and he couldn't do **** with it. The Steelers with Mitch ****ing Tribisky...please.

The Ravens, I must of missed their playoff game last year somehow.

And you assume that Russel Wilson will get it done in Denver when he couldn't get it done in Seattle last year. Now don't get me wrong he should make them a playoff team but again there is a reason he is no longer in Seattle.

Bengals are the real deal. But, they should be the division winner, not a wild card team. The Raiders are interesting. And you left off the Chargers a team that should actually compete for a playoff spot unlike Pittsburgh.

The thing about the loaded AFC is that everyone will split with everyone, resulting in many contenders bunched up at 9-10 wins, with division winners and WC's determined by tiebreakers. I don't see us winning the division, but we have as good a chance as anyone to get a wild card.

I don't disagree with the first part, but remember all those years where the Steelers and Ravens were in the playoffs at the same time? Two teams from the same division happens a lot! And now there's three wild card spots!

I truly believe Buffalo is a better team right now. But I also believe that a hot team can do just about anything in the playoffs. So rather than take the view right now that the Pats are just going to lose in the playoffs and why bother to watch, I'm going to hope that they make it and get hot at the right time.
I don't exclude a wild card spot for the Patriots because the AFC West will eat each other alive. That said, I think there's a below 50% chance of the Patriots making the playoffs... I think it's just as likely they finish 3rd in the division. As far as getting hot and making a run in the postseason, I don't think the Patriots are talented enough for that. For example a wild card team from the AFC West could make such a run. Or a team from the AFC North (probably excluding Pittsburgh)... the Browns could do it if they handoff a decent record to Watson.

The thing about the loaded AFC is that everyone will split with everyone, resulting in many contenders bunched up at 9-10 wins, with division winners and WC's determined by tiebreakers. I don't see us winning the division, but we have as good a chance as anyone to get a wild card.

The way I see it there's only three teams that are locks for the playoffs in the AFC:

Bills
Chiefs (until proven otherwise. May not win their division, but they should at least be good enough for WC)
Bengals

Then there's three teams that are pretty much locks to MISS the playoffs:

Jets
Browns
Jaguars

The remaining ten teams are all pretty much in the mix, either to win their division or get a WC. Some should be favored for it (I think Vegas is gonna be pretty good personally, for example), and some would need a lot to go right (Pittsburgh and Miami need to see some QB progression), but everyone's got a shot. It's gonna be a slog until water starts to find its level in November or so.

The way I see it there's only three teams that are locks for the playoffs in the AFC:

Bills
Chiefs (until proven otherwise. May not win their division, but they should at least be good enough for WC)
Bengals

Jets
Browns
Jaguars

The remaining ten teams are all pretty much in the mix, either to win their division or get a WC. Some should be favored for it (I think Vegas is gonna be pretty good personally, for example), and some would need a lot to go right (Pittsburgh and Miami need to see some QB progression), but everyone's got a shot. It's gonna be a slog until water starts to find its level in November or so.
I don't think any team is a lock for the playoffs in the NFL. Most of the NFL teams are so top heavy that a couple injuries can bring them to a mediocre team pretty quickly. Not just talking about qb's either, a couple o-linemen or d-linemen out and suddenly they are an entirely different team.

Jets
Browns
Jaguars
The Browns were 8-9 last season with Mayfield and a declining Jarvis Landry as his WR1. Chubb missed a couple games (including @NE) and Hunt missed more than half of the season. Anchored by the beastly Myles Garrett their defense is pretty good too. Looking at their schedule, they probably could start 3-1 with DeShone Kizer at quarterback, it's get tougher in the middle, but if they can give Watson even a 5-6 record, they'll have a shot at a wild card. Pittsburgh obviously has to stabilize their quarterback situation but every team in that division is pretty talented.

I don't think any team is a lock for the playoffs in the NFL. Most of the NFL teams are so top heavy that a couple injuries can bring them to a mediocre team pretty quickly. Not just talking about qb's either, a couple o-linemen or d-linemen out and suddenly they are an entirely different team.

Fair enough, but without being able to predict those kinds of injuries, in an All-Things-Being-Equal kind of hypothetical, I view those teams as sure bets... or at least as sure as you can get in an unpredictable business.

The Browns were 8-9 last season with Mayfield and a declining Jarvis Landry as his WR1. Chubb missed a couple games (including @NE) and Hunt missed more than half of the season. Anchored by the beastly Myles Garrett their defense is pretty good too. Looking at their schedule, they probably could start 3-1 with DeShone Kizer at quarterback, it's get tougher in the middle, but if they can give Watson even a 5-6 record, they'll have a shot at a wild card. Pittsburgh obviously has to stabilize their quarterback situation but every team in that division is pretty talented.

Also fair enough, though I think we'll agree to disagree on the potential of the Browns. I think without a reliable threat at QB, Chubb is going to get a LOT of attention. I see 4-7 as their ceiling through the suspension, as they'll potentially be favored through each of the first 4, then should be underdogs in the next 7. Then you're asking Watson to go 6-0 playing his first football in two years.

My hope for the offense is turning Mac loose in the shotgun with spread formations and allowing him AMPLE play calling leeway at the LOS. If they continue to force this stretch running game it could be trouble. It's going to take time for the defense to gel and I'm concerned about communication at the second level.

Wish I could say I'm optimistic, hoping to be pleasantly surprised.
This is what I am expecting:

The offensive approach is going to resemble most closely 2010-2012 particularly in the running game.
We really had 2 separate run packages in this years.
We had the “base offense” and the hurry up or passing offense.
We would use BJGE or Ridley as the base RB and then use Woodhead in the hurry or passing situations. The base had 2 TEs and ran power football while the woodhead grouping spread the field and ran him against a light box.
I think the zone block packages have a place in both aspects.
As far as the passing game, it will differ from those seasons in that Welker was the fulcrum of the passing game and this year will look more like the pre and post Welker years where the favorite receiver was whoever is open, and we will see a lot of plays that target the theoretical 3rd 4th or 5th options yet they will be the primary progression more often than in most offenses, to take advantage of mismatches.
I also think we will see more deep balls than we have since Moss left.
I am very optimistic about the offense. I am not worried about the defense, except for hoping they solved the mismatch issue we saw against offenses like buffalo. Won’t know that until it plays out.

Cleveland will be lucky to win 6 games.

Also fair enough, though I think we'll agree to disagree on the potential of the Browns. I think without a reliable threat at QB, Chubb is going to get a LOT of attention. I see 4-7 as their ceiling through the suspension, as they'll potentially be favored through each of the first 4, then should be underdogs in the next 7. Then you're asking Watson to go 6-0 playing his first football in two years.
I think the Browns will be a big disappointment this year. The suspension period with a backup QB and the distractions associated with the whole mess will be hard to overcome. Additionally it is hard to envision Watson being effective when he does come back after not playing for almost 2 seasons. I feel bad for that fanbase, but hope that karma prevents the team from being successful while Watson is their QB.

I don’t run from malice-filled goblins that hate things that aren’t fat and ugly like they are, so probably not. Didn’t do it with lame ass 2000’s Jets and Colts fans. Wouldn’t do it for you.

Though I will say it’s absolutely pathetic that any Pats fan would talk **** about Tom for literally anything.
**** tom brady and every other traitor who ever left the patriots

1. Where are the significant, and certain, upgrades from last year?
  2. Where are the possibly upgrades from last year?
  3. Where are the significant, and certain, downgrades from last year?
  4. Where are the possible downgrades from last year?

Answer those four questions honesty, and I think you can easily see the "why" of it.
Why don't you answer those 4 questions, since you think they are the most important

They didn't want him. They were looking to move away from him for some time. Kraft blocked it. Whatever makes you feel good I guess. Anyway here we go again with a thread getting detailed.
who would want a traitor on their team anyway? glad we let Tommy turncoat walk

The offensive approach is going to resemble most closely 2010-2012 particularly in the running game.
The Patriots had the #1 ranked scoring offense in 2010 and 2012... #3 in 2011. Brady was league MVP in 2010, followed that up with 5200 passing yards in 2011, and was outstanding in 2012 as well. The Patriots defenses were highly mediocre then too. My point... Brady was routinely carrying the team by that point in his career. The 2022 Patriots will have a more balanced approach offensively with what should be a consistently productive running game, which will have less pressure on Jones (less than what Brady was facing 2010-2012).

Cleveland will be lucky to win 6 games.
They play @Carolina, NYJ, and @Atlanta in their first four games. The fourth is Pittsburgh who has their own QB issues. 3-1 is a possibility. If the Patriots o-line is struggling then Cleveland's pass rush is going present a lot of problems. Don't ignore Cleveland's duo at RB. I like Harris/Stevenson but I like Chubb/Hunt better. Cleveland has too much talent to go 3-8 or 4-7 in those first 11 games. I get the layoff for Watson but I don't think it'll take very long before he's playing elite quarterback again. Ironically his first game back is @Houston, which should be a layup.

"Who's playing Centah?"
"Andrews. Who's the tight endahs?"
"Jonnu Smith and Hunter Henrah"
"Enda Decembah, the season's gonna endah."
"We coulda been a condendah."

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back