PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sony Michel Injury (update: Expected to Play Week 10 vs Titans)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand the hate for Sony Michel. He has been playing really well lately.

This latest injury is a setback to his development because he was finally coming into his own as the Pats #1 RB. Hopefully he can come back in a few weeks. We'll have to wait and see. If Sony Michel can come back healthy, we can run the football effectively and that will become even more important as the postseason approaches.

Where are you seeing hate for Sony Michel?

When he gets into the secondary, he has no elusiveness and no second gear.

There are a couple different methods for accelerating while running - increase your cadence, increase your stride length. With increased cadence, it's easy to see when a runner accelerates because the knees come up higher and the arms start pumping more vigorously. With increased stride length, there's virtually nothing to see because the cadence remains the same.

Natural "long-striders", like marathon runners and other long distance runners, increase stride length to increase their speed, often dramatically. This can be an advantage in football, since a defender may fail to recognize the acceleration immediately.

Randy Moss is the classic example of a "long-strider" who was able to use stride-length acceleration to his advantage, in both straight-line running situations and in elusiveness. Moss' jump-cuts and CoD seemed slow, even "lazy" in comparison to those of a guy like Edelman, but they were equally effective.

Michel's long-stride running style is similar to Moss', so his elusiveness and "second gear" aren't as obvious as they are for many NFL players, but he definitely has those qualities.

Showing as much promise as you could hope for out of a late 1st round RB. Was on his way to having a great rookie season - statistically AND carving out his role as the lead dog coming out the backfield. Not understanding the Michel bashing at all. Minor gripe is his lack of use in passing game (thats more on coaching )

I do find it a little intresting that his best runs usually come with develin on the field leading the way. Not a knock at all. I would like to see him make some big runs w.o the lead block eventually...talent is there.

Among Michel's most valuable traits as a runner is his ability to see the blocks developing in front of him and his patience to wait for them - and then to actually follow them (things that Gillislee seems incapable of doing). Develin is doing for Michel what Wynn did for him in college.

Among Michel's most valuable traits as a runner is his ability to see the blocks developing in front of him and his patience to wait for them - and then to actually follow them (things that Gillislee seems incapable of doing). Develin is doing for Michel what Wynn did for him in college.

I want to call him Human PlayStation but its a positive thing.

He sneaks up on you... his legs are just in first gear, and he's slackadaisically following blocks, it looks like.... then a little burst here, a little burst there, and 18 yards later...

I love those sneaky efficient guys w extra gears. Keep him off the field as long as needed to keep him healthy... apparently, whoever's number gets called can run now.

I haven't seen this posted . this could be another great inj. news in the making..

I would think his return would depend on the nature of his workouts. Could be he's just trying to keep his legs and lungs in shape. If he's doing any chest and arm stuff that would be encouraging.

I want to call him Human PlayStation but its a positive thing.

He sneaks up on you... his legs are just in first gear, and he's slackadaisically following blocks, it looks like.... then a little burst here, a little burst there, and 18 yards later...

I love those sneaky efficient guys w extra gears. Keep him off the field as long as needed to keep him healthy... apparently, whoever's number gets called can run now.
McCourty said they call him Playstation.

In 10 games last season, Burkhead provided 8 TDs and 52 yards from scrimmage per game, evenly split between rushing and receiving. Nice weapon, when healthy.

I wouldn't really call 52 combined yards per game "weapon" output. Combined with his lack of availability, I'm not a huge fan.

We could definitely use him right now though.

I wouldn't really call 52 combined yards per game "weapon" output. Combined with his lack of availability, I'm not a huge fan.

52 ypg is over 800yds a season. Add the 8TDs and hes pretty valuable to the offense.

With that said he is a 2nd stringer here.

It seems to be a no-brainer to cut Davis and sign a RB (or trade for one). At least Grissom is an OK special teamer, available when there is an injury.

Grissom or Keionta Davis would be the 1st two on the list.

Who to sign?
Someone had a list of backs that included Derrick Henry, Gillislee, Darkwa, Webb, Farrow.

There is also the potential for a trade for someone like Prosise, Abdullah, or Blount.

It seems to be a no-brainer to cut Davis and sign a RB (or trade for one). At least Grissom is an OK special teamer, available when there is an injury.

I would not be surprised about Rowe ending up on IR instead. You have Dawson coming back soonish from IR and need the roster spot only for a few weeks until Michel is back.

I thought for sure there would be ligament damage the way he immediately dropped the ball. Phew....

He's the #3RB for the Pats. How many other #3 RBs around the league can contribute 52 yds/game and 8 TDs in 10 games played?

Not a weapon?

I wish coaches did healthy scratches the way the MLB has a rotation for pitchers. There is no reason to play these guys every week if it means hobbling into the playoffs. Honestly, by the midpoint of the season having a guy on the field for 6-7 games rather than 8 means he is significantly fresher than the competition.

1. Each game in the NFL means a whole lot more than in MLB.
2. It's game plan specific.
3. Players have roster bonuses.
4. It's 16 games and no player wants to be left out.

There is no way you could rest players in the NFL.

An MCL "sprain" IS ligament damage, but it's a tear, not a complete rupture, and much less devastating than an ACL rupture.
I don’t think a sprain is a tear. I could be wrong.
The report was “no structural damage” so that would mean no tear to me as a tear would surely constitute structural damage.

I don’t think a sprain is a tear. I could be wrong.
The report was “no structural damage” so that would mean no tear to me as a tear would surely constitute structural damage.

(Talking about the Seahawks LT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents