PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Some comments from Colts fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's been more than a few Norv Turner bashers in this forum ...
I picked them to go all the way pre-season.
Who knows if they will go all the way but I like how Norv coaches.
He's not an elite coach ... but he has guts and he comes prepared.

I always thought Norv got bashed more than he should have. I argued that Norv was better than say, Barry Switzer, but because Switzer babysat one of the better SB teams, he supposedly was a better coach.

Another guy I think deserves more credit is Cam Cameron. Now, I think he is best suited as an O-Coordinator, but when he was (SD, Balt) he has been very good. I would be willing to bet that with Cam as the O-Coordinator in Indy, the Colts would at least be more feared come playoff time, and would have lasted much deeper into the playoffs.

The War is won in the trenches. So it is an easy prediction that the team with the poorer trench warriors wil lose in the Playoffs.

The Colts are always soft in the trenches. This year its worse than usual. A starting DE who is 235#"s? Is that a joke? A D-line that find it hard to field a single player over 260 #s ?

Therefore they may get to the playoffs with Peyton and his WRs skills, outscoring weak sisters, but they won't do much when there,and meet the Iron. Colt's recent History pretty much confirms that easy prediction. :idea2:

Last edited:
Az

I believe you are falling into pundit mode.

The Chargers scored 17 points during regulation on drives that started in Colt territory. They forced 2 turnovers to end scoring drives.

During the year, their defense did the following:

Scored in the 4th qtr in Cleveland for 10-6 victory

"Pick six" late in the Jax game for 31-24 victory.

Two interceptions (one late) for 14 points and 24-20 victory in Pittsburgh

Shut out Tennessee

Kept the Pats to 15 points.

How about this:

Their MVP QB who many claim is the best ever should be able to convert 3rd and two even without a running game.

Likewise, maybe a "best ever QB" should be able to convert some first downs so the defense isn't left with very short fields.

I checked the Indy boards earlier and they all seem to be throwing Addai under the bus, amusing after they spent 2 years citing Addai as how they can draft better than the Pats.

Cool Avatar, GI Joe.
I hate the Colts, but I think they are equal if not better than we are in the draft. There a few Colt-Pats players whose careers are intertwined based on the draft.
  1. Addai > Maroney
  2. Gonzalez >>> Chad Jackson: After Welker, the 2nd best NFL slot guy is Gonzo
  3. Freeney >/= Seymour - I'll brace myself for the backlash but Freeney makes as many game changing plays as Sey does. We can survey DC's and LT's around the league to see who keeps them up at night.
  4. I am sure there are others I am missing on both sides, but everytime #84 Ben Wonderlic drops/fumbles/deflects a pass, I recall how we drafted him 13 spots ahead of Bob Sanders. But that's ok because we picked up Dexter Reid, Gus Scott, and Christian Morton in that draft to solidify our secondary for years to come.:rolleyes:
As an aside, we also drafted Marquis Hill at the bottom of the 3rd round that year along with Vince wilfork in the 1st. I think we've done pretty awesome overall but I have the utmost respect for the Colts Player Personnel Dept.

Last edited:
Indy fans will let Manning play as long as Favre did in Wisconsin -- way past his prime -- because of their blindness to his obvious shortcomings.

Manning is awesome and has many good years ahead. The great test for Bill Polian will be when he has to pull the smart, cold-hearted move for the longterm health of the franchise or will he try and 'stick with the old guy' for 1 more year Peyton's career winds down.

Cool Avatar, GI Joe.
I hate the Colts, but I think they are equal if not better than we are in the draft. There a few Colt-Pats players whose careers are intertwined based on the draft.
  1. Addai > Maroney
  3. Freeney >/= Seymour - I'll brace myself for the backlash but Freeney makes as many game changing plays as Sey does. We can survey DC's and LT's around the league to see who keeps them up at night.
  4. I am sure there are others I am missing on both sides, but everytime #84 Ben Wonderlic drops/fumbles/deflects a pass, I recall how we drafted him 13 spots ahead of Bob Sanders. But that's ok because we picked up Dexter Reid, Gus Scott, and Christian Morton in that draft to solidify our secondary for years to come.:rolleyes:
As an aside, we also drafted Marquis Hill at the bottom of the 3rd round that year along with Vince wilfork in the 1st. I think we've done pretty awesome overall but I have the utmost respect for the Colts Player Personnel Dept.

Very tough to compare these two since Freeney is there to rush the passer, and Sey is playing in a BB 3-4....there goals when they step on the field are vastly different.

Cool Avatar, GI Joe.
  1. Addai > Maroney

[*]Addai > Maroney

The jury is still out on this one. Addai had a really down year. LM has one more season to prove us all wrong. I would evaluate this after next season.

Let's evaluate King Polian's draft over the last 5 drafts

2004 Draft

(2 - 3rd round flops) (Shaky grade at best)

The Jake Scott pick in R5 somewhat sprinkles some seasoning on the 3rd round stench.

2 12 44 Bob Sanders Safety Iowa (STUD)
3 5 68 Ben Hartsock Tight End Ohio State (WHO ?)
3 6 69 Gilbert Gardner Linebacker Purdue(WHO ?)
4 11 107 Kendyll Pope Linebacker Florida State(WHO ?)
4 29 125 Jason David Cornerback Washington State(Fit the system for bit)
5 9 141 Jake Scott Guard Idaho (Great pick)
6 8 173 Von Hutchins Cornerback Mississippi (WHO ?)
6 28 193 Jim Sorgi Quarterback Wisconsin(WHO ?)
7 28 229 David Kimball Placekicker Penn State (WHO ?)

2005 Draft

(3rd bust in Burns) (Yes Giordano in R4, somewhat covers that up)
Very average to slightly above avg grade at best)

Round Pick # Overall Name Position College
1 29 29 Marlin Jackson Cornerback Michigan (SOLID)
2 28 60 Kelvin Hayden Cornerback Illinois (SOLID)
3 28 92 Vincent Burns Defensive End Kentucky(WHO ?)
4 28 129 Dylan Gandy Guard Texas Tech(WHO ?)
4 34 135 Matt Giordano Safety California (SOLID)
5 12 148 Jonathan Welsh Defensive End Wisconsin(WHO ?)
5 29 165 Robert Hunt Center North Dakota State(WHO ?)
5 37 173 Tyjuan Hagler Linebacker Cincinnati (GREAT PICK AT THIS PT)
6 28 202 Dave Rayner Placekicker Michigan State (WHO ?)
7 29 243 Anthony Davis Running Back Wisconsin (WHO ?)

2006 Draft (A GREAT DRAFT)

King Polian's Best by far A crowning moment :)

Bethea in Round 6 is robbery........

1 30 30 Joseph Addai Running Back LSU (STUD UNTIL THIS SEASON)
2 30 62 Tim Jennings Cornerback Georgia (JURY IS OUT BIG TIME)
3 30 94 Freddie Keiaho Linebacker San Diego State (SOLID)
5 29 162 Michael Toudouze Guard TCU (WHO ?)
6 30 199 Charlie Johnson Offensive Tackle Oklahoma State (GREAT PICK AT THIS PT)
6 38 207 Antoine Bethea Safety Howard (INCREDIBLE PICK AT THIS POINT)
7 30 238 T.J. Rushing Cornerback Stanford

2007 Draft

Nothing spectacular

The Damien Hughes pick (a guy the Pats were looking at), hasn't cut it for them.

1 32 32 Anthony Gonzalez Wide Receiver Ohio State (STUD - great future)
2 10 42 Tony Ugoh Offensive Tackle Arkansas (SOLID - ANCHOR)
3 31 95 Daymeion Hughes Cornerback California (WHO ?)
3 34 98 Quinn Pit**** Defensive Tackle Ohio State (WHO ?)
4 32 131 Brannon Condren Safety Troy (WHO ?)
4 37 136 Clint Session Linebacker Pittsburgh (Has stepped in nicely)
5 32 169 Roy Hall Wide Receiver Ohio State (WHO ?)
5 36 173 Michael Coe Cornerback Alabama State (WHO ?)
7 32 232 Keyunta Dawson Linebacker Texas Tech (WHO ?)

2008 Draft

It's early here, but at the outset, nothing spectacular

2 28 59 Mike Pollak Center Arizona State
3 30 93 Philip Wheeler Linebacker Georgia Tech
4 28 127 Jacob Tamme Tight End Kentucky
5 26 161 Marcus Howard Linebacker Georgia
6 30 196 Tom Santi Tight End Virginia
6 35 201 Steve Justice Center Wake Forest
6 36 202 Mike Hart Running Back Michigan
6 39 205 Pierre Garcon Wide Receiver Mount Union
7 29 236 Jamey Richard Center Buffalo

So really, if you look at the King and what he has done, how has he really distinguished himself from the great drafts of BB over the last 5 years ? Sure we've had some Chad Jackson flops, but that's one round off from the likes of Ben Harstock and Gilbert Gardner. Tim Jennings in Round 2 ????, although not quite Chad Jackson bust material has to be considered a pretty shaky selection considering where he was picked.

"The King is who, we thought he was !!!!!!!!!!!!"

Last edited:
I don't understand the love for Bob Sanders. I can see he is an impact player, but his game log reeks of 50% dnp's.

If you're not on the field, you have as much impact as me in a game.

[*]Addai > Maroney

The jury is still out on this one. Addai had a really down year. LM has one more season to prove us all wrong. I would evaluate this after next season.

Let's evaluate King Polian's draft over the last 5 drafts...

...So really, if you look at the King and what he has done, how has he really distinguished himself from the great drafts of BB over the last 5 years ? Sure we've had some Chad Jackson flops, but that's one round off from the likes of Ben Harstock and Gilbert Gardner. Tim Jennings in Round 2 ????, although not quite Chad Jackson bust material has to be considered a pretty shaky selection considering where he was picked.

"The King is who, we thought he was !!!!!!!!!!!!"

Nice work on reviewing the drafts...and I agree with you wholeheartedly. I would say at worst the Colts draft almost equally to us.

My response to LoMo vs. Addai is said best by Raymond:

(On Bob Sanders # of DNPs) If you're not on the field, you have as much impact as me in a game.

Addai is a threat regardless of the Colts poor running game this season. He is better as an every down back than LoMo, but may lack LoMo overall game-breaking capabilities. Put them together with turbo charge, and you might end up with Adrian Peterson...but that is a once a decade find.

All in all, I think they bring different things to the table...but knowing what we know as far as durability and reliability, I'd go with Addai.

Last edited:
the colts draft a lot of LB's...

also, how do u draft place kickers...who dont work out?

I don't understand the love for Bob Sanders. I can see he is an impact player, but his game log reeks of 50% dnp's.

If you're not on the field, you have as much impact as me in a game.

Dr Z on si screams the same when everyone talks about bob sanders. according to him the colts were 21-3 or soemthing at somepoint when sanders didnt play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Back