SOURCE:NESN

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Lions
Thu
Aug 8th
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
Bad Decision
Boomer Esiason has normally been respectful of Brady, but made some poor decisions with his comments last week about the Patriots QB.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

Solution at TE

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by mosslost, Mar 24, 2019.

1. p8ryts

p8ryts Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +592
    Oops. Faulty memory, sorry. Still hoping.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Pape

Pape Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +283
    why would i quit? Because of what those guys are saying? They are completely off the wall, latching onto Dwayne Allen's nutsack like its a clutch of pearls. I disagree with all this hand wringing and whining about the value of Dwayne Allen. He was an average blocker. Just about anyone could have done the job that he did. But somehow because he wore the Pats jersey he was "one of the best"? Those guys continually over-inflate his value as a blocker, conflating him to one of the best in the game. But come on man, people should expect more from the TE2 position.

3.0m is a lot for a blocker. A 3.8 cap hit was too much for a player who was not an offensive lineman to spend the entire game blocking people. So yeah, we tied up our TE2 position, but at what cost in terms of production compared to tight ends with a better grasp of the NE system could have brought? He certainly brought a lot to the table in 52 with his two plays from scrimmage ...

But at least you are honest in admitting he really brought nothing else to the table.

Last year his cap hit of 3.8 put him at the tenth highest on the team. Was he worth it? hell no. Did they try to reduce that number? yes. He said no. That's why hes gone to Miami for 3.25 a year.

• Sad Sad x 1
  3. Ras-IR Dowling

Ras-IR Dowling Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +6,964

Miami saw first hand what this guy brings as a blocker. If your gonna stand by those comments in bold I suggest you click on the rewatch threads after each game. Breaks down individual plays such as the one in the link. Personally gave me newfound respect for Allen’s blocking, which is anything but average.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  4. Pape

Ratings:
    +283
    Anything but average, for what? One game?

Now show me the games where he made plays beyond blocking, something a te2 should do. Where he caught 5 or 6 passes. Show me his second touchdown as a patriot. You got two years worth of games to pull from....

Oooh. Thats right. Doesn't exist.

5. Ras-IR Dowling

Ras-IR Dowling Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +6,964
    I’m not arguing the receiving aspect of his game. I agreed with you that he offered nothing as a receiver. It’s your analysis that he brings nothing to the table/his blocking is average (anyone could do it) that I take issue with.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Pape

Ratings:
    +283
    That's fine. Disagree with me. You see what you want to see vis a vis his abilities on the field.

But really, is it all that special? A special talent that no one else could bring to the table? No, its not. And that's the whole point. Its also why he's not here anymore, cost vs value. The Patriots c replaced him with someone to do the same job for less money. That's the definition of an average player.

So, if you want to die on the mountain defending Dwayne Allen and his "super star" blocking ability go right ahead, have at it.

But in the end he's gone. No way near enough production to warrant the money he wanted/was paid in New England.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  7. Ochmed Jones

Ochmed Jones Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +2,340
    I still have hope that izzo can be our blocking tight end with a few catches sprinkled in during 2019.

We add a guy like Fant or sternburger to challenge the deep seam and suddenly the routes hogan ran last year open up again.

Hopefully izzo excels in the strength and conditioning program. He has to be able to blow up defenders trying to set the edge so Michel can run wild in order to have a spot on this roster.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. mosslost

mosslost Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +5,860

Gronk.

9. DW Toys

DW Toys In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +957
    Cousins, Knox had limited production. What am I missing here?

2017 was his first season at TE. Has limited experience blocking in-line. You can tell he is still processing too slowly in the run game, it’s just not familiar to him yet. More of a straight line guy, lacks some agility and RAC ability. Isn’t going to juke anyone, or break any tackles.

Overview: Raw, size/speed specimen that will likely rise up boards during the combine. Knox has very limited experience at Tight End, less than 30 career receptions and ZERO touchdowns (as of writing).

I am not a LeCosse fan, but he seems better

DW Toys

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. DW Toys

DW Toys In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +957
    Cousin,
    Here is my off the wall take on a TE in this Draft. Convert J.J. Arcega-Whiteside Stanford there. He is a superb blocker. He is a Big Mac or two away from Giants TE Evan Ingram.
    It has been suggested he would be a great H Back.....but he blocks.

• Extreme body control in the air and repositioning for the contested reception
    • Functional NFL-caliber speed
    • Plucks the ball away from his body — watching the tape shows a consistent “hands catcher” who extends to make tough catches
    • Plays much bigger than an already large frame suggests — looks 6-foot-5, 240 pounds against collegiate cornerbacks
    • High football IQ to digest an NFL playbook and adapt his game, take to coaching — dummies don’t get into Stanford. Played in a pro-style system
    • Displays enough short-area quickness to get separation on intermediate routes
    • Basketball background shows in box-out/jump-ball situations
    • Catch radius is incredible
    • Not afraid to run through defenders and bull for tough yardage, particularly when the stripe is in reach
    • NFL starter potential in short order — won’t have a lengthy learning curve at the next level
    14 of his 28 touchdowns came in 2018
    Arcega-Whiteside may become a tight end at the next level.

“Some guys joke about that – my strength coach says I’m a biscuit away from being a tight end – but that hasn’t really come up with teams at all,” he said. “But if someone wants to draft me I’ll play anywhere you want me to play, coach.”

No you can look at TE's that have less Fan Fare like Warring or Dax Raymond a few rounds down.
    DW Toys

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Ochmed Jones

Ochmed Jones Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +2,340
    Well, I have to admit, as I wide receiver the guy’s tape is bland and almost completely uninspiring.

But after a couple Big Macs and a red shirt year that includes an offseason in the strength and conditioning program, could he morph into Aaron Hernandez part 2?

Possibly? If he has the right attitude and work ethic we could have something.

I know I would love to see us sign Fitzpatrick, the miss state qb and use the practice squad/red shirt year to turn him into a wide receiver.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. manxman2601

manxman2601 Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +26,710
    He has genuine TE1 athleticism, is a good blocker and he’s a more than a short field receiver. He had three quality WRs in his offence and he just didn’t get fed.

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. manxman2601

Ratings:
    +26,710
    My off the wall suggestion for a TE, well a move TE anyway is Jalen Hurd. He would need to add 10-15 pounds and improve as a blocker but he’s a 6’5” slot receiver and former RB. I really like as a developmental Aaron Hernandez type. He ran a 4.66 which isn’t great for a WR so maybe a bit of added bulk and a move to TE might be the way to go.

14. doesntmatter1

doesntmatter1 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1,091
    I feel very strongly that Dawson Knox will be a Patriot.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. mosslost

mosslost Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +5,860
  16. manxman2601

Ratings:
    +26,710
    I hope so. I really like the relationship between draft value and upside. Outstanding TE1 size and athleticism for a 2nd round pick.

• Like Like x 1
  17. reamer

reamer Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +14,727
    He's 6'2 223 and just ran a 4.49 at his pro day. He's a starting X receiver all day. He has more value there than he'll ever have at move TE.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Zuma

Zuma Happy GOT Endings PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,156
  19. SBLIII

SBLIII 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +2,708
  20. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +8,127

I understand that you don't think that we should draft Smith at 32. However, when calling someone a "massive reach", we are usually talking about more than personal opinion. Most analysts have Smith in the 20's.

• Useful Useful x 1