PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So how do you grade this year’s draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sirrously....

I feel better about it than most folks here. I'm jelly of a few other teams, the Ravens among them, of course. I'd be jelly of the Jets but no, I am just saddened that so many promising careers will begin in the toilet that is E Rruthersford, NJ.
I feel good about next year. It shows that maybe BB is less concerned with D and more concerned with getting the offense to explode. Which is where the league is going now anyway.

C. Not Great but not horrendous. Will need to revisit this in a year time to see what i would give it, but there are some picks i just don't get the value. Mainly the Cole Strange and Zappe, but i think that will always be like that for me, as i just don't understand why they picked them when they did.

C-
Mainly because we took a pure Guard in the 1st. If it wasn't for that I'd give it a C+ just because of the speed taken between rd 2 and our 4a pick. I'm also a bit bummed we took a couple RBs where I thought that was the deepest position on the team, and we didn't take an LB after some major losses to the depth chart.

I see the QB pick as exhilarating.... taking a fllyer on a crazy upside guy. Let's face it, it's because Stid showed us nothing. But swinging for the fences is also a way of shruggng your shoulders and saying "Hey we're rootin' for ya Mac. Fans think you're going to bring 30% more, whatever that means. Well if so, great, we might have a great backup... or.... you never know what this kid's doing if he gets the chance.

This is where I started pondering the possibility of a BB "Sarcastidraft," where he picks only guys that aren't head scratchers by some standard after first pick. "What do you mean Mr. Kraft? He was the fastest receiver in the draft..." "He was the fastest running back..." "Did you see that QBs college stats though?"

C- at this point of time. again donno how they will pan out. maybe we can grade this at the end of 2023 season. for now the A grades go to Chiefs , ravens, Jets followed by Bills , Packers , Colts and Steelers.

We had the most arbitrary draft of the entire lot. everybody played checkers i.e. veering by script while we went off script and played chess. if by next year we dont get at least 2 studs from this draft, Kraft really needs to find a new GM.

last year we went by value and had the best draft in years and we reverted back to mean this year. not drafting doubs, austin, pickens and daxton hill seem to be misses.

strange seems to be an overdraft. even if he contributes as a starter, will compare him with other 3rd rounder guards who have been drafted after him.

as for zappe, donno what to say.

I actually gave up on the draft. I think BB might need a cognitive test. The first pick was a complete failure, reaching for a 3rd round guard from Div 3, when there were plenty of good SEC defensive players available.

I can see taking the fastest WR in the second round, but still Dean fell and they should have jumped on him.

All those good Alabama and Georgia defensive players and BB took none of them.

The only pick that made any sense was the (first) RB, the kid from South Dakota, he might be the real thing.

I can live with the first Jones pick, and then the train came off the rails.

The second RB? A QB? None of it makes sense.

This draft was a complete failure.

I give it a F

I'll give it a ?+.

IF Strange is a Day 1 starter and turns into a quality IOL...
IF Thornton can play well enough to allow them to move on from Agholor without missing a beat...
IF Marcus Jones does well returning/Slot CB...

Then it's an A.

IF 2 of the above, and nothing else, then B. If one of the above, then C.
IF 2 of the above and one of the others hits, then A.

Basically, 3 hits is an A, 2 a B, 1 a C, none is a SMH.

Bills fans laughing at us. For good cause.

Now consider what the Chiefs did to revamp their defense. They were serious.

I still don’t think the Bills will be doing much punting against us.

The draft was a dreadful mess with a couple of bright red apples like Marcus Jones and Andrew Steuber.

I'm disappointed that the Pats got the fastest WR, the fastest RB, arguably the best returner, the best small school defender (the same award that stiff Dugger won), help in the secondary, and more protection plus a long term backup (who threw WAY too many TDs last year for my liking) for Mac just in case the unthinkable happens.

Grade: H

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill