PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Slow Your Roll on the Patriots WRs… There's a Long Way to Go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Other than Meyers, all four of the others have had a history of injuries or suspension.

Some insurance would be a good idea.

I tend to agree here...while there's a wonderful ceiling to a group of Edelman/Thomas/Gordon/Harry, there's also a very low floor given their histories. Having Harris and Dorsett around to provide a more solid floor would be really nice. To do so, they need to get reps in real game action, or when the time comes, they won't be ready.

I don't know how to create enough room to enable the high ceiling of that group of four, plus build the foundation under them with those other two guys.

No, it hasn't. I mentioned what's changed. You're confusing "**** 50 yard line thought then and **** 50 yard line thinks now" with actual change. We already knew that Thomas would come back at some point. We knew that when he came back, it would remain to be seen how he was able to play. We already knew that Gordon would come back at some point. We already knew that Edelman would be healthy again at some point. We knew that Meyers was doing well in training camp. Etc...

Nothing has changed, and the group is the same. Well, if you want to toss in Inman getting axed, we can note that as a change, but most of us knew that was coming, eventually, so that's not much of a change.

Well, you knew better than I, I guess. When BB had that presser where he talked about having nothing to do with Gordon, and Brady seemed suddenly cool to the guy a couple of weeks ago, there was speculation that maybe he wasn't coming back.

Ian Rappaport told D&K that Gordon wasn't in the Patriots' plans, and many good members of this forum - Patfanken, SBLIII, and others, were convinced that Gordon wasn't getting a break from Rodger. That was only 2-3 weeks ago.

I had heard that Meyers was standing out in camp, but I've heard that many times about lots of receivers, who then disappear in games. Actually watching the kid play - his technique, the way he catches, the way he uses his body - in a couple of full-speed games passes my eye test. Only thing I can't figure out is how this kid ever went undrafted. I agree with the reporter (Zolak?) who said he looks like a 6-year pro out there. He is a legitimate NFL receiver - no idea of how high he can climb, but he's legitimate.

And I thought Thomas might come back after 6 weeks. Without Gordon expected back, that would have been a long six weeks, to say nothing of the time both Gordon, if he did get reinstated, and Thomas, after not practicing with the team at all, would take to get up to speed.

Thomas is now practicing with the team. He's about 8 weeks ahead of where he'd have been if he had, as expected, not been activated until after week 6.

A team needs 3 WRs (4 and 5 are the luxury guys). The unexpected early additions of Gordon and Thomas go a long way in strengthening this unit. If they keep five, Harris (who was being called the best by a lot in the practices, and Dorsett, who was penciled in as the #2 guy for probably the first half of the season, probably won't even make the team.

I think a lot has changed at that position, and very suddenly.

...For me, the open question is whether we want to carry 6 WR's and 2 TE's or 5 WR's and 3 TE's. Also, we could make one choice now, and another when Watson come back.
3 TEs? We don't have even 2 who are any good.

If Meyers has 35 catches or more that'll be a pretty amazing success for a rookie UDFA.

If he gets 50+ he'll be in extraordinary territory for this team.

But I'm just gonna assume Gordon stays sober by accident and gordon and edelman alone make for a good enough WR corps given our QB and running game.

Other than Meyers, all four of the others have had a history of injuries or suspension.

Some insurance would be a good idea.
Having 5 is insurance.

I agree. For me, the open question is whether we want to carry 6 WR's and 2 TE's or 5 WR's and 3 TE's. Also, we could make one choice now, and another when Watson come back.
Or 5 and 2. The 6th wr doesn’t have anything to do with the number of TEs. Having an extra inactive WR is no more relevant if you have 2 or 1 TEs.

I refuse to slow my roll. We are gonna see a Edelman, harry, Myers, and Gordon wr group that catches a lot of passes

3 TEs? We don't have even 2 who are any good.

Then we need to trade for one or two. I disagree, but that isn't the point.

The team is not going to stop using the TE position because Gronk is gone.

Then we need to trade for one or two. I disagree, but that isn't the point.

The team is not going to stop using the TE position because Gronk is gone.

After Watson...Kendricks has the most versatility with experience. I just blurted that out...carry on in the fashion you are accustomed to.

The relationship is that a roster spot is freed up if we have only 2 TE's.

Or 5 and 2. The 6th wr doesn’t have anything to do with the number of TEs. Having an extra inactive WR is no more relevant if you have 2 or 1 TEs.

I would take 2017 over this group. Amendola, Cooks, Hogan, and Dorsett.
Not without a big target like Gronk. We need some size. Gordon, DT, Harry all provide that.

5 can turn into 2-3 real fast. We have learned that in the past.

Harris on the PUP list would be a good move, if possible.
Harris can’t go on pup.

We have rarely maybe never kept 6.
“5 can turn into 2-3 real fast” isn’t a new thing.
We use 3 consistently a 4th sparingly and a 5th only in the event of injuries.

It's been 10 years since the greatest TE of all time wasn't expected to be on the 53 at some point during a season. Were carrying large quantities of 6'2"/6'3" WR's this season.. don't be surprised to see 6-7 WR's including Slater.

It's been 10 years since the greatest TE of all time wasn't expected to be on the 53 at some point during a season. Were carrying large quantities of 6'2"/6'3" WR's this season.. don't be surprised to see 6-7 WR's including Slater.
What we have done before may mean little without Gronk in the lineup. He was more of a threat in the passing game than almost any wide receiver. I think our base offense will still have a TE, but later game situations might feature more 4WR, 1RB looks.

This site is a pretty good example of the "we" Koolaid crew. Hell, this WR situation is an example. A few weeks ago, it was understood that the Patriots had one of the worst WR groups in the NFL, but it might be better if things broke right. Now, we're getting absolutely insane posts like

and nothing has really changed other than Gordon getting off his suspension.
You're not getting those posts from me because we essentially agree with one another. I 'd respectfully suggest you direct your disagreement to those with whom you have differences.

Last edited:
Well, you knew better than I, I guess. When BB had that presser where he talked about having nothing to do with Gordon, and Brady seemed suddenly cool to the guy a couple of weeks ago, there was speculation that maybe he wasn't coming back.

Ian Rappaport told D&K that Gordon wasn't in the Patriots' plans, and many good members of this forum - Patfanken, SBLIII, and others, were convinced that Gordon wasn't getting a break from Rodger. That was only 2-3 weeks ago.

I had heard that Meyers was standing out in camp, but I've heard that many times about lots of receivers, who then disappear in games. Actually watching the kid play - his technique, the way he catches, the way he uses his body - in a couple of full-speed games passes my eye test. Only thing I can't figure out is how this kid ever went undrafted. I agree with the reporter (Zolak?) who said he looks like a 6-year pro out there. He is a legitimate NFL receiver - no idea of how high he can climb, but he's legitimate.

And I thought Thomas might come back after 6 weeks. Without Gordon expected back, that would have been a long six weeks, to say nothing of the time both Gordon, if he did get reinstated, and Thomas, after not practicing with the team at all, would take to get up to speed.

Thomas is now practicing with the team. He's about 8 weeks ahead of where he'd have been if he had, as expected, not been activated until after week 6.

A team needs 3 WRs (4 and 5 are the luxury guys). The unexpected early additions of Gordon and Thomas go a long way in strengthening this unit. If they keep five, Harris (who was being called the best by a lot in the practices, and Dorsett, who was penciled in as the #2 guy for probably the first half of the season, probably won't even make the team.

I think a lot has changed at that position, and very suddenly.

So your claim rests on your inability to grasp the meaning of a Bill Belichick statement about a player who was not in camp.

Think about that, then think about the rest of your "reasoning" on this. C'mon, man.

Other than Inman getting cut, the WR roster is the same. Gordon, Edelman, Thomas? Still players who were injured/suspended and will be coming back. Harry? Still a rookie who needs work? Meyers? Still a UDFA who looks great against backups in practices and scrimmages. Dorsett? Still the same guy who gets ignored or dismissed in most discussions about the WRs. The rest? Still a bunch of guys who are hoping to make the team when the odds would at least appear to be against them.

A lot has not changed. Almost nothing has changed.

It's almost all still the same.

But we have other needs with that spot.

This. The loss of Gronk does not just mean the Pats need more pass catchers. It also means they need more blockers. People are looking to keep 7 or 8 linemen when they usually carry 9. If there are only 7 OL and 2 TEs, that's a pretty thin group to carry if you plan to run in short-yardage situations. Even 8 OLmen could be light, especially if one TE is a move TE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back